Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Reading this thread it's hard to imagine a time when people rode coasters and even drove their cars to the park with small children not buckled in. I used to ride Beast when it had a simple lap-bar that came down across all riders. Now we're trying to figure out no-contact belt checks, facemasks for everyone, and every-other-row seating. And don't scream going down the hill because that might spread droplets. 

UGH.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Reading this thread it's hard to imagine a time when people rode coasters and even drove their cars to the park with small children not buckled in. I used to ride Beast when it had a simple lap-bar that came down across all riders. Now we're trying to figure out no-contact belt checks, facemasks for everyone, and every-other-row seating. And don't scream going down the hill because that might spread droplets. 

UGH.

I am over it and ready to go ride. The death rate is turning out to be very low and 40% of that number is because of idiots that sent covid patients to nursing homes. I am ready to open all of it

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Reading this thread it's hard to imagine a time when people rode coasters and even drove their cars to the park with small children not buckled in.

When my Mom was a kid, seatbelts weren't required by law, but her parents always made her and her siblings wear seatbelts because her parents understood the law of physics. 

Also sorry for double post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

I am over it and ready to go ride. The death rate is turning out to be very low and 40% of that number is because of idiots that sent covid patients to nursing homes. I am ready to open all of it

Me too. I'm working, so I'm expendable---err, essential. The public is informed or should be. Let's ride!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I was thinking. I wonder if KI is testing Orion like crazy lately because maybe they plan to do some first rides on Orion like media day, first rides for the fundraiser, and maybe season pass holders a week or so before the rest of the park opens. Just a theory of mine.

Or maintenance has nothing else to do so they are having some fun. The Bossman said fine, but if you break it you fix it.  OK.  

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

I haven’t read through all of the way but anything new on the first riders event and media day? Cancelled?

Nope nothing new. I think they will at least do a media day so that they can show off the ride to the media and let them talk about it to their audiences. For the people who raised the money for the benefit, I think they'l do something. It might be a multi day thing so that they don't have huge crowds coming at once. Probably depending on how much you raised. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Nope nothing new. I think they will at least do a media day so that they can show off the ride to the media and let them talk about it to their audiences. For the people who raised the money for the benefit, I think they'l do something. It might be a multi day thing so that they don't have huge crowds coming at once. Probably depending on how much you raised. 

Yeah, i was supposed to be on the first train, I was spot number 15. If it gets cancelled, It’ll be a little disappointing but I’m still glad I raised over 600 dollars for families in need

• Like 5

Hopefully, Cedar Fair will re-program their ticketing system to first call up the  reservation process instead of just adding on a “reservation module” to their existing system like Six Flags did.  A lot of unhappy customers with Safari tickets that can’t use them because no times available for the day they bought their ticket.

Unfortunately the launch of the reservation system has been problematic for those trying to use it (lots of crashing), but also the basic procedure in which Six Flags has implemented it is flawed at the core. They are requiring guests to buy tickets for the Safari FIRST, and then once they have your money, then you can try to get a reservation. Unfortunately this means you have to buy a ticket without even knowing if the date you can visit is even available at all, and if not, you are left with tickets you may possibly never be able to use. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Governor Office Press Conference Updates:

Regarding fairs, the working group (task force) came up with a protocol to allow the local county fair board to work with their county health department to develop a plan for the 4-h junior competitions to occur, except for livestock - so photography, etc. can happen. 

Whether a County Fair happens is now up to the local level.  All social distancing and other requirements still apply for a fair and any that already exist that overlap like food are still in effect.  He hopes that if a county fair doesn't occur, he hopes they can still figure out a way for the local 4-h to continue.

Here's a story of DeWine putting in standards for Junior Fair only.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/county-fair-regulations-junior-fair-exhibits-only-touching-animals/BTUvClmeBnwvO2TgY084uM/

15 hours ago, bengalsguy23 said:

Is there any chance we see contactless restraint checks like Disney does? Does anyone know the reason most parks do hand checks? Is it state legislation, company policy, for insurance reasons or something else?

I could see the potential of the ride operator walking down, asking the guests to pull on their seatbelt for them and then pull on the restraint.  It is a confirmation that the restraint is actively working.  It's a safety item.  I seem to recall Disney asking me to push down and pull up on a restraint at one point as well when I was there recently.

13 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

How would you work that with the seat belts though?  Does the ride monitor seat belts?

Most rides don't even monitor the restraints, on an individual basis.  The B&Ms do, as does Delirium.  I think that's it.

4 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Hopefully, Cedar Fair will re-program their ticketing system to first call up the  reservation process instead of just adding on a “reservation module” to their existing system like Six Flags did.  A lot of unhappy customers with Safari tickets that can’t use them because no times available for the day they bought their ticket.

Unfortunately the launch of the reservation system has been problematic for those trying to use it (lots of crashing), but also the basic procedure in which Six Flags has implemented it is flawed at the core. They are requiring guests to buy tickets for the Safari FIRST, and then once they have your money, then you can try to get a reservation. Unfortunately this means you have to buy a ticket without even knowing if the date you can visit is even available at all, and if not, you are left with tickets you may possibly never be able to use. 

No way in heck would I risk a visit or my $ with a system like that. Could definitely turn into bad PR if they don't resolve refunds or the ticketing quickly.

Someone's doing something at Diamondbacks water hole9E24F6DF-EDCA-4EF3-A7E0-2440C9A3572B.thumb.png.9430e7e1b0e55f90605e8cc5e3bc84ef.png

as your looking at it right side guy in black jacket was tossing something into the little bit of water there

Looks like he was tossing some sort of algae killing tablet like for swimming pools. The water seems like it cleared up.

b7733add7f0acf6086e519343dc8bb5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kentucky Kingdom opens June 29 with the waterpark shortly thereafter.  From their website:

Kentucky Kingdom will open on June 29, 2020.  Hurricane Bay water park will open shortly thereafter”

Hopefully, we will hear Kings Island and Cedar Point plans soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

Kentucky Kingdom opens June 29 with the waterpark shortly thereafter.  From their website:

Kentucky Kingdom will open on June 29, 2020.  Hurricane Bay water park will open shortly thereafter”

Hopefully, we will hear Kings Island and Cedar Point plans soon.

I have been checking the Kings Island website daily and the last time they made any kind of announcement was May 8th. I am hoping that near that date, there will be an announcement.

• Like 1