Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

5 minutes ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Looks like CF will open the parks whenever possible. That date for Carowinds gives them about 2 weeks of ops then weekends?  And holy cow, that is far off. 

I would guess they'd remain open a little later in the year through the week. At least I'd hope so.

4 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

DeWine said in two days will be an announcement for museums, zoos, etc.  He said for most of the attractions, it will be good news.  So one could take away from that that some may not be given a date to re-open?

Yeah I don't like that "most" word. 

I like the zoos that will be able to reopen. I think I can hold my excitement about Kings Island for a while if I'm allowed to go to a see Fiona/Lucille.

Also, I'm being approached by Kings Island HR recruiting, so it sounds like they're starting to recruit en-masse again. Likely starting from people inside their database, and going to open that up to the public once the reopening date is announced.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

I like the zoos that will be able to reopen. I think I can hold my excitement about Kings Island for a while if I'm allowed to go to a see Fiona/Lucille.

Also, I'm being approached by Kings Island HR recruiting, so it sounds like they're starting to recruit en-masse again. Likely starting from people inside their database, and going to open that up to the public once the reopening date is announced.

That makes me think there's a reopen announcement coming and they're aware of the date.

• Like 1

One could make argument for how a museum or zoo could open first because it would be a lot easier to control crowds with a reservation system and a defined path for visitors to follow to see the exhibits and attractions, which is the way traffic flow in a lot of those attractions go anyway.  An amusement park like KI would be a little harder to implement - most will want to go to Orion, and developing a defined path of rides to ride in a particular order would be difficult to manage.  What if you don't want to ride some of the rides on the defined path LOL.

3 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

July 27th is late enough for me to plan a road trip if Ohio parks stay closed lol

If serious now might be the time to book refundable accommodations. Though you have to wonder who gets priority on the reservations at the park and if two consecutive days will be allowed.  

• Like 1

I'm interested on how they might be able to prevent people from congregating at the front of the ride for when their time slot approaches. I bet people would come as early as 15-20mins in order to see if they can't get in a little early to try and ride some more. Or even people not wanting to venture far from the ride for one reason or another.

I'm interested on how they might be able to prevent people from congregating at the front of the ride for when their time slot approaches. I bet people would come as early as 15-20mins in order to see if they can't get in a little early to try and ride some more. Or even people not wanting to venture far from the ride for one reason or another.

With the mobile app of course:

The mobile app’s mapping and wayfinding modules, which already allow guests to easily find things like restrooms and phone charging stations, are being leveraged to monitor potential overcrowding in various areas of the park throughout the day; this will help determine where to deploy crowd control measures and enable appropriate social distancing. These modules will also direct guests to the closest hand sanitizing stations.

Makes you wonder if they will make it a requirement to have the app up and running and do you need a smartphone while in the park?  To monitor overcrowding based on location in the app is only viable if everyone is using it...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

If serious now might be the time to book refundable accommodations. Though you have to wonder who gets priority on the reservations at the park and if two consecutive days will be allowed.  

Had KI opening, May 15th-17th KI plans, and June 12th-14th KI (doubtful), July 3rd-5th (maybe) and we have July 9th-16th for CP planned. So have the vacation time and money, just need firm dates to submit before someone else at work does. 

The reservation system will be a big decision maker for any trips we make though for sure before tying up more $. Last 6mo payment for CP hotel conveniently falls on this Friday.

21 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

This might work

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

With the mobile app of course:

The mobile app’s mapping and wayfinding modules, which already allow guests to easily find things like restrooms and phone charging stations, are being leveraged to monitor potential overcrowding in various areas of the park throughout the day; this will help determine where to deploy crowd control measures and enable appropriate social distancing. These modules will also direct guests to the closest hand sanitizing stations.

Makes you wonder if they will make it a requirement to have the app up and running and do you need a smartphone while in the park?  To monitor overcrowding based on location in the app is only viable if everyone is using it...

They're gonna have a cluster only to find out it's teenagers hanging with their friends :lol:

But seriously though, I'm the only one in my family to carry a phone in the park. Husband doesn't carry his ever because it's heavy, and 11yo just got her phone 2 months ago, no way in heck she'd take it in. 

Maybe they have enough data gathered on app use in the park vs admissions a day, to know what the app to no app ratio is and can make some assumptions based on it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chibul said:

That makes me think there's a reopen announcement coming and they're aware of the date.

I don't see why they'd spend money on those tents likely for temperature screening if they didn't know. Hoping this means I'll hear about my place of employment as zoos theme parks are way bigger than us.  I think ki is open enough they can easily divide paths and make them one way etc with crossing points and such. Two more days and we'll see :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Cedar Point is opening up Breakers and Lighthouse Point just for a getaway from June 12th-June 28th.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/vacation/packages/sun-and-fun-hide123?fbclid=IwAR2AguAzgxNtz-P42HgpHBu9TivrS5vVjV5KUciIh8FJx0_vSBn3bNVfmOw

Seems like a great opportunity to find out what they have planned vs reality for the hotels at least. 

Informative piece with Cedar Fair CFO being interviewed.

This was interesting:

Cedar Fair is burning through about $30 million to $40 million a month, he said, in part due to interest payments on $1 billion in new debt it issued this year to shore up its balance sheet, as well as ongoing operating expenses. The company furloughed nearly all of its part-time staff as it shut down its parks, the CFO said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-amusement-parks-reopen-will-americans-ride-rollercoasters-in-a-pandemic-11591090203

• Like 2