Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

43 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I thought they said they refused to furlough their staff. 

They did, I recall seeing in I think their earnings report that they wanted to be in “a state of readiness” to reopen when local governments allowed them to do so.

16 hours ago, disco2000 said:

With the mobile app of course:

The mobile app’s mapping and wayfinding modules, which already allow guests to easily find things like restrooms and phone charging stations, are being leveraged to monitor potential overcrowding in various areas of the park throughout the day; this will help determine where to deploy crowd control measures and enable appropriate social distancing. These modules will also direct guests to the closest hand sanitizing stations.

Makes you wonder if they will make it a requirement to have the app up and running and do you need a smartphone while in the park?  To monitor overcrowding based on location in the app is only viable if everyone is using it...

Kind of ruins the "no phones allowed on Steel Vengence" ;)

• Haha 1

Based upon the tents, Diamondback pond, Orion testing, and that people from Cedar Fair on on the re-oopening planning commission, its obvious that KI already knows the date that they will be allowed to open and under what restrictions.  Thursday is just a formality for the general public.

• Like 2

I wonder what Dollywood’s staffing situation will look like this year. When I visited last year, I noticed a significant amount of their employees were in the elderly demographic, who are typically at higher risk of becoming seriously ill if they catch COVID. Maybe it’ll be mostly younger people working there this year?

Just now, CoasterFan3180 said:

I wonder what Dollywood’s staffing situation will look like this year. When I visited last year, I noticed a significant amount of their employees were in the elderly demographic, who are typically at higher risk of becoming seriously ill if they catch COVID. Maybe it’ll be mostly younger people working there this year?

They are being as strict as disney and requiring masks except for water park, water rides and some coasters.  On the page also said some experiences won't open right away etc.  

Also restricting rider capacity and queue lines to keep up the social distancing etc. 

1 hour ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

They are being as strict as disney and requiring masks except for water park, water rides and some coasters.  On the page also said some experiences won't open right away etc.  

Also restricting rider capacity and queue lines to keep up the social distancing etc. 

That could be detrimental to their health as well. I'm seeing now where some Walmart employees who wear masks 8 hours/day are getting pleurisy from breathing CO2.

16 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

That could be detrimental to their health as well. I'm seeing now where some Walmart employees who wear masks 8 hours/day are getting pleurisy from breathing CO2.

I'd hope they'd allow more breathable options. Or breaks where they can take them off like disney is having. 

I'll be happy to have whatever comes along. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JimParker85 said:

A friend of Shawn's from Theme Park Worldwide is at Universal Orlando today and got a pic of Hulk with 8 riders on a train (32 capacity) with 4 of the 8 rows completely empty and a 75 min wait. YUCK

Are the using virtual queining thier?  I can see it now.  Your wait for Orion is 6 hours.  Go back home do some chores and head back to the park.  :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Are the using virtual queining thier?  I can see it now.  Your wait for Orion is 6 hours.  Go back home do some chores and head back to the park.  :)

One could conceivably conceive a child while waiting in line for a coaster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I would have to think that your ride wait time is reset upon exiting the park with the geolocation

Trying not to get my hopes up too high since he did say most of the venues is good news. However, he did say something about how it's better when it's mostly outdoors referencing the zoo which amusement parks are pretty much outdoors as well. He then said that inside is where it gets harder so part of my feeling is the not so great news may be at the museum center and other museums since they are pretty much indoors. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Trying not to get my hopes up too high since he did say most of the venues is good news. However, he did say something about how it's better when it's mostly outdoors referencing the zoo which amusement parks are pretty much outdoors as well. He then said that inside is where it gets harder so part of my feeling is the not so great news may be at the museum center and other museums since they are pretty much indoors. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking. However, with the tents going up and all of the activity seen on the webcams, I can't imagine DeWine would have too bad of news for the park. I shouldn't get my hopes up, but my hopes are definitely up.

7 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Museums could be done with mandatory masks and limited capacity. Not only do you have to limit capacity for the museum itself, but each sub area would need a lower capacity as well.  The increased employee cost with lower till revenue might make it impossible from a financial perspective, but it isn't impossible from a logistics perspective.