Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

13 hours ago, PatchesC said:

The Cedar Point link for Hotel  Breakers is back.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/vacation/packages/sun-and-fun

It'd be interesting if they used random resort guests to test different seating configurations they plan and didn't announce it.

Couple of observations.  The fun and sun + yum packages are cheaper than the plan fun and sun packages (I think they have them backwards since the yum packages include dinner which seems to be a different park eatery feature each week night).  Second it stops June 28th.   That would point to a July 1st opening (as I've said a horrible idea since having the first weekend on a holiday weekend will just increase the chances of a bad experience with all the new rules in place.  Much better to wait a week till the 8th.).  

I wonder how business will be for just the hotels being open, especially since they are using the 'usual' rates.  Would have been smarter to offer them at a 25 or 35% discount since the park is not open and to entice more people out of their homes.

Either way, planning to be there last weekend of the season as always.

The DeWine Press Conference scheduled for today has been cancelled, but the updates scheduled for today will be released to the media and posted online.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/local/ohio/ohio-governor-mike-dewine-cancels-press-conference-george-floyd-service/95-40ce646f-5ca2-4557-8e01-949805e2d8e8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, robintodd said:

Couple of observations.  The fun and sun + yum packages are cheaper than the plan fun and sun packages (I think they have them backwards since the yum packages include dinner which seems to be a different park eatery feature each week night).  Second it stops June 28th.   That would point to a July 1st opening (as I've said a horrible idea since having the first weekend on a holiday weekend will just increase the chances of a bad experience with all the new rules in place.  Much better to wait a week till the 8th.).  

I wonder how business will be for just the hotels being open, especially since they are using the 'usual' rates.  Would have been smarter to offer them at a 25 or 35% discount since the park is not open and to entice more people out of their homes.

Either way, planning to be there last weekend of the season as always.

If you go into Stay, Packages there's a 30% off package "coming soon". Not sure how long it's been posted but guess better than nothing.

8 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Trying not to get my hopes up too high since he did say most of the venues is good news. However, he did say something about how it's better when it's mostly outdoors referencing the zoo which amusement parks are pretty much outdoors as well. He then said that inside is where it gets harder so part of my feeling is the not so great news may be at the museum center and other museums since they are pretty much indoors. 

You may or may not like the announcement or recommendations, but its obvious that the parks are going to open back up.  They already know what the requirements will be and are putting those into action

Not KI related, but certainly crowd related.

The big parties @ the Ozarks over memorial day weekend have happened approx 10-12 days ago.  So far, there are no known cases of Covid that have sprung up as a result of those gathers (which involved very little social distancing)  There is a report of one person that was there and was "likely" contagious with Covid at the time.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/state-and-regional/no-new-covid-19-cases-from-lake-of-the-ozarks-crowds-missouri-health-director-says/article_6f36ad32-d125-5382-b78f-74bd0f6510ac.html

Watching various peoples vids on universals opening yesterday was nicely organized. I hope all parks follow their lead and create rest  areas where you can sit and have your mask off while being socially distant. That's also would help people keep their patience pants on ;) 

looks like definitely have a snug mask one pair their fell downwards on rip ride rocket. 

but they didn't separate people on pathways and with limited capacity I don't see a reason to, it's wide enough that you can pass reasonably.  

If they do reservation system like Dollywood it was easy to navigate and pick time slots. Even with the slamming of their website (again you're just going to need patience) as it did bog down a couple times but didn't hamper getting what we wanted.  

hope we get good news for Kings Island today and their water park. :)

• Like 1

From the few things I have read over the past couple of weeks. The virus is losing its Potency and isn't transmitting as well or causing as bad of symptoms. The 2nd good piece of information is that COVID19 doesn't spread well outdoors. The bad news is when a vaccine is made it's likely to only give 6months-12months of immunity but nothing is for sure. 

I do believe a vaccine is close and that would likely hinder the amount of people able to transmit. I also think this could be something we need to learn to live with just like the seasonal flu.

Even with reopening looks to appear that active cases are down. 

My wife and I may take a few trips to KI when it opens but obviously not like we used to and we are going to be leaving the kids at home or with a babysitter. Kids can and will touch everything. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

From the few things I have read over the past couple of weeks. The virus is losing its Potency and isn't transmitting as well or causing as bad of symptoms. The 2nd good piece of information is that COVID19 doesn't spread well outdoors. The bad news is when a vaccine is made it's likely to only give 6months-12months of immunity but nothing is for sure. 

I do believe a vaccine is close and that would likely hinder the amount of people able to transmit. I also think this could be something we need to learn to live with just like the seasonal flu.

Even with reopening looks to appear that active cases are down. 

My wife and I may take a few trips to KI when it opens but obviously not like we used to and we are going to be leaving the kids at home or with a babysitter. Kids can and will touch everything. 

The reports of the virus losing potency come from a statement made in Italy, but the World Health Organization has said that it's not likely it is losing potency -- viruses don't simply become less pathogenic. It's possible there are less dangerous strains that are being spread, but that doesn't negate the possibility of a deadlier strain emerging. 

But I think what we're seeing it still good news. It's likely that the social distancing efforts throughout states have slowed and, in some cases, minimized the spread. I live in Michigan, where we've had some of the most stringent restrictions, and just this week our stay-at-home order was lifted. And it's very possible this is a virus that fluctuates seasonally like the flu. Which means fall could see a resurgence (I wouldn't get too attached to plans for a Haunt or a Winterfest this year). But also, come fall and winter, we are hopefully closer to a vaccine. 

We're not out of the woods yet, but I think we are much better with noticing and mitigating the risk of spread than we were three months ago. It's going to me a weird summer and probably a nervous fall. But hopefully the most extreme parts of this are over. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MoreFogPlease said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the bill still needs to pass, and be signed by the governor.

This is correct. I jumped to conclusions in my original post and did not read the article closely enough. It still needs to pass by the Senate and be signed by the governor I believe.

• Like 2

Here is the statement: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/park-update

A Message from Richard Zimmerman, CEO, Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

June 4, 2020 Update

Cedar Fair fully supports the amendment to HB 665 that was adopted today in the House Agriculture and Rural Development Committee. The amendment provides for the immediate re-opening of Ohio amusement parks and water parks.

We fully anticipate and expect having the same opportunity granted to other businesses in Ohio to operate our business in a safe and manageable environment.  

As professional amusement park operators with an exemplary safety record, we are experts at managing risks and following protocols. The protocols we have developed to reopen our parks are in accordance with governmental and CDC directives, Erie County and Warren County Health Departments, medical professionals, Ohio’s Development Services Agency (DSA) and industry best practices. They are specifically responsive to the COVID-19 crisis.

Our capacity controlled, family friendly properties at Cedar Point and Kings Island, coupled with the operational expertise of our seasoned park professionals who work there, provides for an environment where predictable observance and enforcement of social distancing and COVID-19 protocols can be achieved. 

This legislation not only benefits Cedar Point, Kings Island, and their guests, but also the economic viability of the local citizenry and surrounding Ohio communities. 

We look forward to welcoming back our loyal guests to Ohio’s treasured amusement parks, which have brought fun and happiness to generations of families.

• Like 1

Actually, since it was an amendment to a bill, the Senate either needs to concur with the change, or, if they object, send the bill to conference committee, which would try to hammer out a compromise.  Assuming the Governor gives an opening date in his press release, the amendment likely becomes moot.  

Just now, Nick_Plummer said:

Immediately sounds amazing, but many employees (myself included) have only completed a small part if not none of their training. I hope people don't take the "immediately" too literally.

Agreed, the park put hiring on a freeze during peak hiring time, so they won't be able to open without all the employees they need unless they want ride closures, reduced restaurant capacity, fewer merch shops, ect. I expect we will see a large ad campaign come out of the park soon for hiring, and maybe 3 weeks to open.