Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 minute ago, dbackdreams said:

But from what i saw on youtube, he said it would be good news.  so that means the parks are supposed to open but now he wont let them.  He's a big meanie.

No, he said it would be good news for "most".   It looks he is true to his word. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, disco2000 said:

He said for most it would be good news...meaning for some it will not be.

Well arent you just Mr. Governor person!!  I want good news!  I want to ride Diamondback he biggest fastest tallest meanest coaster to ever strike Kings Island.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Who's running against him and can ppl from out of state donate?:ph34r:

Next election for Ohio Governor is 2022.  Any individual can personally contribute up to $2,800 per year to a candidate.  No one yet announced running against him.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

It still boggles my mind that things like indoor family entertainment centers (FECs) are allowed to open, but Kings Island is not.  And trampoline parks?  How do you sanitize a trampoline park?  The whole thing seems flawed to me.

Yeah, I think you have more of a chance at getting the Corona virus by shoving your face into one on those foam blocks than sitting on a roller coaster seat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kodistict said:

Yeah, I think you have more of a chance at getting the Corona virus shoving your face into one on those blocks than sitting on a roller coaster seat.

KOdistrict you are so right!  Everybody follow that limk and let mr. sourpuss governur know we want Kings Island open, especially so I can ride Diamondback the biggest fastest tallest meanest coaster to ever strike Kings Island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Snowball said:

I’m wondering if there will be an announcement specifically about amusement parks at some point soon, and if that’s the reason parks were left out of this. I suppose it’s a possibility.

It seems the governor has a habit of announcing stuff only a week or two before they can, so it's entirely possible KI already knows and they're waiting to say the park can open a week before it does.

• Like 2

Timing is everything. Look at the other soon to open parks once an announcement was made websites crashed phones overloaded etc. ex Dollywood have about a week and a half notice. Not getting a announcement might also allow them to organize and hire and train etc. especially for customer service they can get ahead of the herd so to speak of and be ready for the influx of calls etc. 

10 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

It seems the governor has a habit of announcing stuff only a week or two before they can, so it's entirely possible KI already knows and they're waiting to say the park can open a week before it does.

I was thinking about this, and this seems to be the case. Cedar Fair has probably told the reopening committee that they will need 4-6 weeks to prepare (which they currently are doing), so the committee probably told them a target date for reopening in order for Kings Island to be prepared on that date. Mike DeWine will likely announce it in the coming weeks probably only a week in advance, but because Kings Island was told in advance, they will be prepared to open.

It is also a possibility that it was in Mike Dewine’s agenda to announce amusement and water parks reopening today on June 10, but because the bill is currently under review that would allow them to open up even sooner, he held off on announcing amusement and water parks due to a potential last-minute change.

• Like 1

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that an announcement is made within the next month or so regarding Kings Island, Cedar Point, and the like and the blessing for them to operate, at what point does Cedar Fair call the season due to how late into the summer we would potentially be, due to the number of operating days left?

Kings Island has Haunt and Winterfest, whereas Cedar Point has their Halloweekends event, which takes them through the end part of October. 

I guess my thought is, when would it not be feasible economically and from a resource-perspective, to open in 2020? This is something I've been curious about. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoeter said:

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that an announcement is made within the next month or so regarding Kings Island, Cedar Point, and the like and the blessing for them to operate, at what point does Cedar Fair call the season due to how late into the summer we would potentially be, due to the number of operating days left?

Kings Island has Haunt and Winterfest, whereas Cedar Point has their Halloweekends event, which takes them through the end part of October. 

I guess my thought is, when would it not be feasible economically and from a resource-perspective, to open in 2020? This is something I've been curious about. 

I brought that up and reasons why, etc. all the way back on page 37 LOL.  I had projected that if they couldn't open by 4th of July weekend, they wouldn't open after that date if they were allowed to based on financial reasons.  Many questioned that thought at the time and many believed they would open up for a week if they could and "sell merch" to make money....

I guess we will find out soon how short of a season it can be and they still believe they can make money and justify opening...

Politics are a very fickle game.  I'm glad that Kentucky Kingdom and the governor worked their deal out, I hope that Cedar Fair and Ohio's governor do soon as well.  It seems to me, though, that today's park update is an indication that the governor did not have a plan to allow the parks to open.  It seems like a plea to get the customer base to reach out to their legislators and promote an action.  If you are in Ohio, I'd urge you to contact them.  Meanwhile, the money I usually spend there is not being spent.

10 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

What is this? Is Kings Island actually filing a lawsuit against Amy Acton and the Health District? In my opinion, this is getting out of hand.

https://www.fox19.com/2020/06/04/kings-island-sues-dr-amy-acton-warren-county-health-district-reopen/

Good for them. Somebody needs to do it. Right now my money will be going to 4 other states soon for a week long road trip. It would have included Kings Island if they were open. Pre Covid it was gonna be a Virginia trip that would have still included a Cedar Fair park. I'm forced to go where the open parks are and spend my money out of state.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnakePlissken said:

Good for them. Somebody needs to do it. Right now my moneys going to be going to 4 other states soon for a week long road trip. It would have included Kings Island if they were open. Pre Covid it was gonna be a Virginia trip that would have still included a Cedar Fair park. I'm forced to go where the open parks are and spend my money out of state.

We're looking at Dollywood, Holiday World, Universal, and a variety of Six Flags parks right now. Hopefully any judgment comes quickly.

12 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

What is this? Is Kings Island actually filing a lawsuit against Amy Acton and the Health District? In my opinion, this is getting out of hand.

https://www.fox19.com/2020/06/04/kings-island-sues-dr-amy-acton-warren-county-health-district-reopen/

I hope this works. I am so sick and tired of her. She has been wrong the whole time about this whole thing and has done nothing but hurt the entire economy in Ohio.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think it is more for show and to apply pressure than to actually take it to trial.

Sometimes when you ask for TOO MUCH you have tipped your hand that it is more to make a point.

The lawsuit asks a judge to reopen amusement parks and water parks immediately and to prevent Acton from closing them again in the future.  It would be hard pressed for a court to rule against forbidding the state from the ability to shut down an operation for anything from an e. coli outbreak or some other serious health issue. 

So if they broke EVERY restaurant health code they could not be shut down under this.  Then that would trickle down to every restaurant never being able to be shut down for serious health code violations as a precedence would be set.

Some of their arguments are based on eminent domain issues like Norwood purchasing all the homes around Rookwood Pavilion, Mariemont Appartments HOA, etc. and the rights of property owners to do as they wish on their property.

I would be surprised if it actually makes it to trial.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kyle100991 said:

I hope this works. I am so sick and tired of her. She has been wrong the whole time about this whole thing and has done nothing but hurt the entire economy in Ohio.

How was she wrong about it the whole time? I get that people are upset that KI isn’t opening, but I think they’ve done a pretty good job overall, and their predictions have been reasonably accurate.

• Like 1

And today's news of no reopening date for amusement parks is clearly why Cedar Fair put out their statement today. They must have been told bad news by the governor, and so now they're throwing their support behind this bill to override him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbackdreams said:

Yes, I have.  But we usually get Little Debbies.  Yu know, like those peanut butter and choclate things but they are not like Reces Cups.  They have some kind of soilid stuff in there.

I never knew I would be chatting with a guy that owns the ho ho company.  But that picture you sent looks llike an piggy bank.  I'll look around for a King Ding Dong.

He’s a really good guy.... every Christmas he sends me a box of snacks. 

• Like 2