Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

20 minutes ago, chibul said:

And today's news of no reopening date for amusement parks is clearly why Cedar Fair put out their statement today. They must have been told bad news by the governor, and so now they're throwing their support behind this bill to override him.

Well they better add to the lawsuit that they can run the rides without inspections, because DeWine still controls that aspect and the inspectors are furloughed...this could be a win the battle, lose the war situation for Cedar Fair long term...

• Like 1

Maybe, just maybe, the CF Plan was not up to snuff in DeWine’s and/or Acton’s view.  CF likes to pack them in as best they can and even with that the profit margins are rather thin.  So Real capacity restriction may make it not profitable for CF to operate and DeWine saw through the smoke and mirrors.  Some on here have been saying for a long time capacity restriction would be a real problem for the parks.   

What CF views as 90% capacity is very different than mine.  That horrendous Columbus Day Weekend I was at KI or the HollowWeekends at CP was just atrocious.  I would label those as 200% capacity, though they think different naturally.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Here’s the thing. Dewine opened FECs, indicating that rides aren’t an issue. He reopened zoos and playgrounds, so they’re not an issue. If both are not issues, then why wouldn’t they open the parks with appropriate precautions.

I am remembering a comment from likely a month or two ago, and I really do not remember if it was from someone in Ohio or not.  But basically they were outlining reopening priorities and they flat out stated attractions which draw in guests from out of state were not a priority and should consider themselves last to reopen.  Basically they did not want out of state travelers from a hot spot.  I have no idea if that is what is going on here but it feels like it.  An FEC, playground, or zoo is less likely to get large numbers of travelers then Cedar Point.

You are correct if you assume all attendees are the same and have the same chance of being infected, an outdoor amusement park with restrictions is safer then some of the businesses and organizations which have been allowed to operate.  It is very difficult to spread the disease outdoors and with some basic restrictions, including masks, and distancing, and limiting indoor areas, there is no reason why an outdoor park should not be able to operate safely.  My understanding of how transmission of the virus works is that gift shops, indoor dining, and the restrooms are likely to be the most dangerous areas of the park, and frankly all of those are already open outside of the park.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Maybe, just maybe, the CF Plan was not up to snuff in DeWine’s and/or Acton’s view.  CF likes to pack them in as best they can and even with that the profit margins are rather thin.  So Real capacity restriction may make it not profitable for CF to operate and DeWine saw through the smoke and mirrors.  Some on here have been saying for a long time capacity restriction would be a real problem for the parks.   

What CF views as 90% capacity is very different than mine.  That horrendous Columbus Day Weekend I was at KI or the HollowWeekends at CP was just atrocious.  I would label those as 200% capacity, though they think different naturally.  

300 acres= 13068000 sqft ÷ 113.10 sqft per person (6ft bubble) =115543 people 

:lol:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I am not convinced that either Cedar Point or Kings Island has a maximum capacity, or if they do that it is even possible to reach those numbers.  What I have heard and been told before is basically the park self limits itself by running out of parking.  If there is no reasonable way to get to the park they have reached capacity, but if you do have a way to get to the gate you can still get into the park.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I am not convinced that either Cedar Point or Kings Island has a maximum capacity, or if they do that it is even possible to reach those numbers.  What I have heard and been told before is basically the park self limits itself by running out of parking.  If there is no reasonable way to get to the park they have reached capacity, but if you do have a way to get to the gate you can still get into the park.

Clearly.  CP can literally run out of food to sell and still not hit capacity as happened a couple of years ago.  

Wouldn’t surprise me if DeWine wants some hard and verifiable metrics.   Something CF doesn’t want to acknowledge.  

4 minutes ago, Kenban said:

It hasn't happened many times, but I know that Kings Island has reached capacity. It's rare that it happens, but it does. maybe once or twice every couple years. The park WILL turn away guests, or at least make it so they have to wait a little bit before they can enter.

10 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I happen to know Brian and I would recommend not posting any screenshots of his comments. He already knows about that Generic Coaster S**tposting group that has recently been attacking him and have attacked other people and he isn't pleased.

Someone should recognize any time they post an emotionally charged comment, it may come back to bite them - if they said it, they are fair game.  Apparently even if it was 20 years ago, just ask Jimmy Fallon.  

I am sure her parents are real proud of her:  https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/marquette-university-rescinds-recruits-admission-scholarship-over-george-floyd-snapchat-post#:~:text=MILWAUKEE — Marquette University has decided,subsequent protests around the country.

• Like 1

I don't condone his comment at all and it was a very bad one to make but had I been the one posting a screenshot, I would've scratched out the name. I usually do that when posting screenshots that contain names or other info when posting to a public place. 

4 minutes ago, Thabto said:

I don't condone his comment at all and it was a very bad one to make but had I been the one posting a screenshot, I would've scratched out the name. I usually do that when posting screenshots that contain names or other info when posting to a public place. 

What if he posted a link to the article, how do you block out his name then?  Blocking out a name of a personal text or DM screenshot is one thing, a name in the comments section to a publicly posted article is a different animal, especially since he willingly posted it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IceePirate said:

It seems the governor has a habit of announcing stuff only a week or two before they can, so it's entirely possible KI already knows and they're waiting to say the park can open a week before it does.

While I wish this were true...there's no way. They'd have to hire/train so many people, we'd be hearing about a hiring spree now if that were what's going on here.

3 hours ago, dbackdreams said:

I heard mcdonalds used to have ball pits with all kinds of gross stuff in it.

...What year is it?! I'm old now.

3 hours ago, dbackdreams said:

Diamondback the biggest fastest tallest meanest coaster to ever strike Kings Island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're my new favorite poster here.

I'm going to start referring to Tomb Raider: The Ride as "That Highly-Themed, Totally Immersive Dark Ride Adventure, Tomb Raider: The Riiiiiiiiiide!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I just want to clarify, I do not agree with his comment one bit. What happened to George Floyd was disgusting and I think the governor did the right thing by not doing a press conference out of respect. However, I do not agree with posting screenshots of people's comments on forums or in other groups. I think Brian is a good person, but sometimes he gets angry and says things he probably shouldn't say. I know he's been getting frustrated with the Ohio governor lately.

That's the thing. If you post on the internet it is for all to see. This wasnt a chat or a DM, it was a response to a Facebook post. You gotta sleep in the bed you have made. 

• Like 2

It seems to me like he didn't even bother to read the article, which wouldn't surprise me at all. If he did, he would've seen that the announcements that were to be made today would still have been do so without a press conference. 

4 minutes ago, chibul said:

While I wish this were true...there's no way. They'd have to hire/train so many people, we'd be hearing about a hiring spree now if that were what's going on here.

Thought employees couldn't post internal info. I know of someone's daughter that has been contacted for rehire but that's it.

Just now, I'mInTheShed said:

That's the thing. If you post on the internet it is for all to see. This wasnt a chat or a DM, it was a response to a Facebook post. You gotta sleep in the bed you have made. 

chats aren't and DMs aren't even safe with screen shots lol

1 minute ago, PatchesC said:

chats aren't and DMs aren't even safe with screen shots lol

Very true. We live in a digital age. That's why the age old saying still applies. If you don't want something quoted in a major newspaper do not say it at all. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

What if the original poster supplies the link to the article instead of a screenshot - will that make you happy?

Again, like I said earlier, if he posted something then he needs to take responsibility for it.  Despite what people think, social media posts have consequences, especially if you post to a news channels FaceBook page that is totally public for anyone to see.

If he doesn't like people commenting about him, then he shouldn't post stuff on social media on a public page.

The Post was on  the Cedar Point Season Pass Holders Page. Unfortunately due to his and other toxic comments that followed they deleted the post all together 

Per the Cedar Fair Executive VP:  On its busiest days, with perhaps 50,000 guests in attendance, Cedar Point might operate at 90% of total capacity, he said. Average daily attendance, however, is about 50% of that, he said.  

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/05/cedar-fair-considering-capacity-limits-virtual-queuing-in-reopening-of-cedar-point-other-parks.html

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skibum said:

Per the Cedar Fair Executive VP:  On its busiest days, with perhaps 50,000 guests in attendance, Cedar Point might operate at 90% of total capacity, he said. Average daily attendance, however, is about 50% of that, he said.  

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/05/cedar-fair-considering-capacity-limits-virtual-queuing-in-reopening-of-cedar-point-other-parks.html

My point exactly.   If I was DeWine I wouldn’t accept anything that EVP says at face value.   I would demand hard quantifiable capacity limits, like 10K per day max.  

3 minutes ago, dbackdreams said:

Can I get in on that action lol

Only my most trusted and loyal minions get that treatment.  It takes years of servitude to reach that level.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

My point exactly.   If I was DeWine I wouldn’t accept anything that EVP says at face value.   I would demand hard quantifiable capacity limits, like 10K per day max.  

If I was DeWine I would let the people that elected me decide whether they want to go to Kings Island or not.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1