Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 minute ago, chibul said:

I'm still not convinced about the masks. They're not mentioned at all in the Cedar Fair safety measures listed in this article regarding Carowinds.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/06/03/possible-carowinds-reopening-date-safety-procedures-revealed/

SEAS, SIX, Disney, Universal, Hershend, all major chains are requiring masks.  Why think CF would be different?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

SEAS, SIX, Disney, Universal, Hershend, all major chains are requiring masks.  Why think CF would be different?

Plenty of parks that aren't as well, though. Kentucky Kingdom and Hoosier Park to name a couple. 

I just don't think you're going to find the idea of walking around all day in 85-90 degree weather wearing a mask something that too many people are going to be willing to do. I know for sure I'm not, but maybe I'm just attaching my own personal feelings to this. There's no way I'd be willing to, though....so if they do go down that road, I'm happy the passes are good for 2021 :lol:

3 minutes ago, chibul said:

Plenty of parks that aren't as well, though. Kentucky Kingdom and Hoosier Park to name a couple. 

I just don't think you're going to find the idea of walking around all day in 85-90 degree weather wearing a mask something that too many people are going to be willing to do. I know for sure I'm not, but maybe I'm just attaching my own personal feelings to this. There's no way I'd be willing to, though....so if they do go down that road, I'm happy the passes are good for 2021 :lol:

I don't think Holiday World is requiring masks either and I read somewhere that they hope to have the mask restrictions completely gone for the state by July.

Also one can assume you can eat and drink without masks right? If so what is keeping someone from just keeping a soda cup in their hand all day in order to go maskless?

8 minutes ago, chibul said:

2 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

I don't think Holiday World is requiring masks either and I read somewhere that they hope to have the mask restrictions completely gone for the state by July.

Also one can assume you can eat and drink without masks right? If so what is keeping someone from just keeping a soda cup in their hand all day in order to go maskless?

Those are independent parks.  Again, all major chains are REQUIRING MASKS.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Holiday World isn't, that's correct. We're planning to go there at the end of this month (unless Cedar Fair doesn't require masks). 

Indiana actually makes masks optional everywhere as of June 14, I believe.

12 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

It'll be impossible to police this, but if the requirement---on paper---gets the park open, count me in.

I’ve already heard people saying they’ll just wear it in and take it off later...

• Like 1

Just now, Snowball said:

I’ve already heard people saying they’ll just wear it in and take it off later...

I would wear mine as much as possible. However, I would need a break here and there. I think most people will need a break here and there. I'd be curious to see if they would open the rides like Boo Blasters and FoF by clamping down a bit on mask-wearing on indoor attractions. It would make sense, and if it helps keep those rides open it's totally worth it.

• Like 1

I have a feeling security and employees will be constantly telling people to put their mask on and keep them on. They might have the in park announcement that reminds people about smoking only in designated areas remind people about masks. We'll probably see plenty of people kicked out this year who choose not to obey park rules. 

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

We'll probably see plenty of people kicked out this year who choose not to obey park rules. 

Halfway agree with the first part of your post, but not this part. Kicking out paying customers...for not wearing a mask? Nope. DeWine himself said mandating customers to wear masks was "a bridge too far". That ship has sailed.

31 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

And those people should be banned from the park.   It won’t happen but should.  

That's a bit of a reach. On a 90 degree day, you're not going to have people walking around wearing masks all day. It's just not going to happen.

Not to mention the number of masks that are going to blow off on rides. Hard to ban people when something like that happens, and it absolutely will. 

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

Halfway agree with the first part of your post, but not this part. Kicking out paying customers...for not wearing a mask? Nope. DeWine himself said mandating customers to wear masks was "a bridge too far". That ship has sailed.

But businesses CAN still require customers and guests to wear masks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

Agree here. I'd be pretty furious if I took a mask off for a bit to have a breather and was told I needed to leave the park for it.

Wearing a mask at an outdoor amusement park with 20-30% of its capacity is extreme to me - and I'm the person that doesn't go anywhere in public right now without a mask. I just don't think the science backs up wearing it - the only place I could really see it making sense is in queue, if they don't do virtual queues. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

And those people should be banned from the park.   It won’t happen but should.  

Today should have been a wake up call to Cedar Fair.

DeWine clearly took the high road, but was getting his point across in other ways by explaining how he was reopening up Ohio and mentioning that some sectors and businesses developed plans better than others...he did not go through that discussion on any other sector opening, and I believe it was intentional why he did that today.   He didn't specifically state it, but I believe he felt that Cedar Fair did not put together a good faith effort that he was comfortable with.

Cedar Fair simply put the bullseye on themselves and has to step up to the plate for the increased scrutiny certainly to come their way based on their recent actions. 

By coercing the authors of HB 665 to add an amendment to a Bill that had nothing to do with amusement parks and was more related to administrative sections of the Ohio Revised Code as it relates to county fairs was a cheap shot.  Here is the executive HB analysis summary developed by the House as a talking points to the legal language in the revisions to ORC.  You can see for yourself that this HB had nothing to do with amusement parks and in fact that amendment got added after this summary was put together by the House...all the good measures that bill was going to do now will not get passed unless the amendment is rescinded.

Then to file a lawsuit that asks a judge to reopen amusement parks and water parks immediately and to prevent the Health Director from ever being able to close them again in the future takes the effort a little too far.  Not only that, it would be hard pressed for a court to rule against forbidding the state from the ability to shut down an operation for anything from an e. coli outbreak, rat infestation, or some other serious health issue.  Under that lawsuit, they could break EVERY restaurant health code and they could not be shut down under this.  Then that would trickle down to every restaurant never being able to be shut down for serious health code violations as a precedence would be set.

Because of these actions to undermine the Governor's authority, they will have to step up their enforcement or risk the heavy hammer coming down and shutting them down.  They will have to enforce things historically they have done a poor job of.  They will not be able to say one thing in their re-open plan and then not do it or enforce it.  Their ride reports will have to be spotless for the state inspectors to approve.  No more food employees texting with gloves on (yea it happens I have seen it and reported it to management as that is health code violation).  The list goes on.

Sometimes when you poke the sleeping bear...

(or it will be business as usual...which is probably what will happen)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Here is my proposal: The park should require guests to wear masks at all times, but they should have areas like Tower Gardens and other seating areas designated as “break areas” where guests can sit down, take off their masks, and take a breather. As soon as guests leave these “mask-free” areas, they should then be required to put their masks back on.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Total nonsense. Just my opinion, not a personal attack. Many differing opinions, that's just mine. 

When your little one in the future does something bad, do you extend their "leash" of freedom or watch over them with a little more scrutiny...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Today should have been a wake up call to Cedar Fair.

DeWine clearly took the high road, but was getting his point across in other ways by explaining how he was reopening up Ohio and mentioning that some sectors and businesses developed plans better than others...he did not go through that discussion on any other sector opening, and I believe it was intentional why he did that today.   He didn't specifically state it, but I believe he felt that Cedar Fair did not put together a good faith effort that he was comfortable with.

Cedar Fair simply put the bullseye on themselves and has to step up to the plate for the increased scrutiny certainly to come their way based on their recent actions. 

By coercing the authors of HB 665 to add an amendment to a Bill that had nothing to do with amusement parks and was more related to administrative sections of the Ohio Revised Code as it relates to county fairs was a cheap shot.  Here is the executive HB analysis summary developed by the House as a talking points to the legal language in the revisions to ORC.  You can see for yourself that this HB had nothing to do with amusement parks and in fact that amendment got added after this summary was put together by the House...all the good measures that bill was going to do now will not get passed unless the amendment is rescinded.

Then to file a lawsuit that asks a judge to reopen amusement parks and water parks immediately and to prevent the Health Director from ever being able to close them again in the future takes the effort a little too far.  Not only that, it would be hard pressed for a court to rule against forbidding the state from the ability to shut down an operation for anything from an e. coli outbreak, rat infestation, or some other serious health issue.  Under that lawsuit, they could break EVERY restaurant health code and they could not be shut down under this.  Then that would trickle down to every restaurant never being able to be shut down for serious health code violations as a precedence would be set.

Because of these actions to undermine the Governor's authority, they will have to step up their enforcement or risk the heavy hammer coming down and shutting them down.  They will have to enforce things historically they have done a poor job of.  They will not be able to say one thing in their re-open plan and then not do it or enforce it.  Their ride reports will have to be spotless for the state inspectors to approve.  No more food employees texting with gloves on (yea it happens I have seen it and reported it to management as that is health code violation).  The list goes on.

Sometimes when you poke the sleeping bear...

(or it will be business as usual...which is probably what will happen)

Don't worry. You can stay home while everyone is out having fun.

• Thanks 2

Just now, bjcolglazier said:

Well, I'm an adult with kids in their 20's and grandchildren...is DeWine your dad?

So your kids were perfect and you never had to ground them for doing something wrong?

DeWine is the Governor of Ohio and controls lot's of things - Cedar Fair can win the battle but lose the war...

Ask Elon Musk if he is getting a little more scrutiny based on his actions...or any other company that causes a regulatory agency to watch them with more scrutiny.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, refrigerator said:

Don't worry. You can stay home while everyone is out having fun.

Where did I say I was staying home?

I was pointing out that if people want to continue to go to the park, they better follow the requirements and not post to social media that if masks are required, they will "lose it" once inside.

It really isn't that hard of concept - follow the rules and everything remains open. 

The government has and will shut places down for not following the requirements.

I would like to enjoy my fun at the park as much as you, but sadly too many people feel the rules do not apply to them and ruin it for everyone...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, disco2000 said:

Where did I say I was staying home?

I was pointing out that if people want to continue to go to the park, they better follow the requirements and not post to social media that if masks are required, they will "lose it" once inside.

It really isn't that hard of concept - follow the rules and everything remains open. 

The government has and will shut places down for not following the requirements.

I would like to enjoy my fun at the park as much as you, but sadly too many people feel the rules do not apply to them and ruin it for everyone...

There's no government mandate that masks must be worn at amusement parks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

So your kids were perfect and you never had to ground them for doing something wrong?

DeWine is the Governor of Ohio and controls lot's of things - Cedar Fair can win the battle but lose the war...

Ask Elon Musk if he is getting a little more scrutiny based on his actions...or any other company that causes a regulatory agency to watch them with more scrutiny.

I said to another Ding Dong the other night in a private message...If you don't want the park to open...don't go to the park! Simple as that. The park wants to open. I want to go to the park. You don't have to. The governor should be providing all sorts of information so people can decide if they want to go. He should not be the dictator over Kings Island and their customers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, chibul said:

There's no government mandate that masks must be worn at amusement parks.

I know that, but I said if the park makes masks a requirement, that is their choice as a business.  I was simply using that as an example.  But if their re-open plan to the Governor says masks will be required for guests and the state sees an overwhelming amount of people not complying with the businesses own plan, guess what happens...