Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

34 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

If anyone has articles that proves the virus being readily spread outside I would like to see it. Evidence of this kind would certainly impact theme parks. Most everything I see is fear-based rather than fact-based, and suggest spread outdoors is rare. I understand in life anything CAN happen. I just haven't seen anything indicating a big outbreak from outdoor transmission. If you know otherwise, educate me. 

Does the winner get a prize?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

If anyone has articles that proves the virus being readily spread outside I would like to see it. Evidence of this kind would certainly impact theme parks. Most everything I see is fear-based rather than fact-based, and suggest spread outdoors is rare. I understand in life anything CAN happen. I just haven't seen anything indicating a big outbreak from outdoor transmission. If you know otherwise, educate me. 

There was a cluster of infections that came from a High School Pool Party in Arkansas.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article242967096.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PatchesC said:

Screenshot_20200610-034633_Chrome.jpg

Hmmm, interesting. 

I'm not 100% convinced that will apply to Kings Island, though - we don't know how many days Worlds of Fun is open to passholders exclusively, and Kings Island is open for passholders only for the first 10 days. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1

No offense to KI as I know that they are following the guidelines to re-opening, but I will skip the trip this season. You factor in wearing masks in 90 degree weather, making a reservation, no dining indoors, doing a health pre-screen online 24 hours prior to arrival, temperature checks at the gate (which may or may not be accurate) and it's just way too much for my family to make 3-5 hour trips to KI and Carowinds to possibly be told we may not enter. To say I'm disappointed is putting it mildly. Not disappointed in KI, just in the situation at hand.

Personally, I hope they win their lawsuit against the state of Ohio. Something has smelled rotten of this whole situation as to accuracy of information we have been fed from the beginning (no, I don't want to debate that fact, so don't bother responding to this part of my post). 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

No offense to KI as I know that they are following the guidelines to re-opening, but I will skip the trip this season. You factor in wearing masks in 90 degree weather, making a reservation, no dining indoors, doing a health pre-screen online 24 hours prior to arrival, temperature checks at the gate (which may or may not be accurate) and it's just way too much for my family to make 3-5 hour trips to KI and Carowinds to possibly be told we may not enter. To say I'm disappointed is putting it mildly. Not disappointed in KI, just in the situation at hand.

Personally, I hope they win their lawsuit against the state of Ohio. Something has smelled rotten of this whole situation as to accuracy of information we have been fed from the beginning (no, I don't want to debate that fact, so don't bother responding to this part of my post). 

Oh man I hoping you join us  riding Daimondback!!!

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

I don't think it's been stated that indoor dining is closed, actually. But the rest of your points are fair (although the health screening is just a short questionnaire to fill out). 

• Like 1

I'm sitting here in disbelief that some would complain about wearing masks, doing a health screen check, receiving a temperature check and having to reserve using the app. Let me break down how much time is spent on each.

1. Health screen check assessment - 5 mins

2. Receiving a temperature check at gate - 15 seconds

3. Reserve time using app - less than a minute

How is this hard to follow or puts off some of you so much that you'd rather not go to the park? I can see the mask requirement part but it's for your own safety and for the safety of those around you. It's selfish in my opinion to not wear a mask because it's uncomfortable or inconvenient. It's also uncomfortable and inconvenient to have a ventilator in  your throat at the hospital. This pandemic hasn't just magically gone away and taking precautions is the only way to help stop the spread. Be glad the park is even opening up and taking this seriously. Frustrating to see some of you act like this pandemic isn't a big deal because it hasn't affected you or your loved ones. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kifranatic said:

I'm sitting here in disbelief that some would complain about wearing masks, doing a health screen check, receiving a temperature check and having to reserve using the app. Let me break down how much time is spent on each.

How is this hard to follow or puts off some of you so much that you'd rather not go to the park? I can see the mask requirement part but it's for your own safety and for the safety of those around you. It's selfish in my opinion to not wear a mask because it's uncomfortable or inconvenient. It's also uncomfortable and inconvenient to have a ventilator in  your throat at the hospital. This pandemic hasn't just magically gone away and taking precautions is the only way to help stop the spread. Be glad the park is even opening up and taking this seriously. Frustrating to see some of you act like this pandemic isn't a big deal because it hasn't affected you or your loved ones. 

Please stop with the sanctimonious "it hasn't affected you or your loved ones". That is completely untrue. You have no idea how this pandemic has affected anyone on this forum.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kifranatic said:

I'm treating the pandemic as seriously as most are. I don't go inside anywhere without a mask.

The science, though, doesn't support the need to wear a mask if you can socially distance yourself (i.e. on the midway).

That being said we made the decision that we're going regardless, and will gut it out as long as we can. But to call people selfish because they're concerned about having difficulty breathing on a 90 degree day when the science doesn't reflect the need to do so at all times? You should consider jumping off the high horse there.

Editing to add that it will absolutely take more than a minute to reserve time using the app. That app will be SLAMMED, and KI/CF won't be prepared for the volume of users. That's not a knock against them, it's just the reality of the situation - no website ever is prepared for a mass influx of visitors all at once. 

• Like 4

If you can't wear a mask because of breathing problems then don't come to the park. And yes, it is selfish not to wear a mask because you find it uncomfortable. If you can't wear a mask because of a medical condition then you shouldn't be at the park during this pandemic. If you seriously can't breathe while wearing a mask then don't come to the park but don't complain about having a mask requirement at the park when we're in the middle of a pandemic. It's unlikely social distancing will work as intended so wearing a mask is a 100% must. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kifranatic said:

It's selfish in my opinion to not wear a mask because it's uncomfortable or inconvenient. 

So what day do YOU have reserved and how did you get access already?

I won't say it'll be okay or not okay wearing a mask in the park as I'm the only one in my family that has to wear one for work. There IS concern about how much the husband and kid will tolerate, even though both have agreed they'll do what's necessary. We'll have to pace ourselves, and be more mindful of staying hydrated but it's not the worst thing in the world to deal with. Start getting attitudes in the park though and we're out for the visit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kifranatic said:

If you can't wear a mask because of breathing problems then don't come to the park. And yes, it is selfish not to wear a mask because you find it uncomfortable. If you can't wear a mask because of a medical condition then you shouldn't be at the park during this pandemic. If you seriously can't breathe while wearing a mask then don't come to the park but don't complain about having a mask requirement at the park when we're in the middle of a pandemic. It's unlikely social distancing will work as intended so wearing a mask is a 100% must. 

With all due respect, I'll happily do what I want, and really don't care about your judgment. Nor do I buy into your "it's unlikely social distancing will work as intended", given that you're not an authority on the subject. 

Again - get off your high horse.

1 hour ago, PatchesC said:

So what day do YOU have reserved and how did you get access already?

I won't say it'll be okay or not okay wearing a mask in the park as I'm the only one in my family that has to wear one for work. There IS concern about how much the husband and kid will tolerate, even though both have agreed they'll do what's necessary. We'll have to pace ourselves, and be more mindful of staying hydrated but it's not the worst thing in the world to deal with. Start getting attitudes in the park though and we're out for the visit. 

This is pretty much how I feel as well - we'll suck it up, see how it goes, and if it goes badly, our passes will be good for 2021. No reason not to try, since our drive is minimal (2 hours). 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dbackdreams said:

I did not want wear mask but dad said to suck it up betercup.  So i went Kruger with him.  Not bad. He said think like you helping others and not your self.

Being inside an air conditioned building is completely different than being outside in 90+ degree heat with 80% humidity.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chibul said:

With all due respect, I'll happily do what I want, and really don't care about your judgment. Nor do I buy into your "it's unlikely social distancing will work as intended", given that you're not an authority on the subject. 

Again - get off your high horse.

No you wont happily do what you want. You'll abide by the rules of KI to wear a mask or be kicked out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kifranatic said:

No you wont happily do what you want. You'll abide by the rules of KI to wear a mask or be kicked out. 

Okay, random guy on internet. Enjoy twisting what I said to make yourself look like the internet tough guy.

Again, I say - please remove yourself from the high horse and knock it off with the condescending posts. You don't get to choose the opinions of others, and you certainly don't get to call them selfish just because they disagree with your opinions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kifranatic said:

Pretty easy to grasp.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fact of the matter is that this virus is too new and the science doesn't absolute 100% provide proof one way or the other at this point on a lot of issues surrounding this virus.

For every article someone finds to support their bias, someone else can find a contradictory article to support their bias.

In absence of that 100% absolute certainty, regulatory agencies are going to adopt and recommend we practice the commonly accepted BMPs (best management practices) to help control and contain a virus spread.  

Another fact is that no country has gone through a complete 4-seasonal cycle of this virus, so the science isn't there to prove 100% whether this spreads outdoors or not.  Again, one can find articles to support their bias.

There are still a lot of unknowns about this virus.  Some states that have opened up are now experiencing significant upticks in covid hospitalizations and Arizona has been told to activate emergency plans for their hospitals.  These instances will tend to favor the idea that it can be spread outdoors as the articles all reference outdoor areas packed with people.  Contact tracing will go a long way to help prove or disprove some of this.  But our contact tracing will more than likely never get to the level of some other countries either.

Several of the other countries that have had this virus earlier than the US has already had face masks as somewhat common place in their community and part of their culture, so that data is limited and not directly applicable to the US culture.

No other country through this pandemic has experienced the non-social distancing without face masks protests, riots, and a love for roller coasters like the Americans.  This data will be available in the coming weeks/months and will be a large data point moving forward in the science/medical community as it relates to spread outdoors.  Until that time, science tells the regulatory agencies to err on the side of historical information as it relates to virus spread and containment.

So large attractions either decide to open up and follow the BMP requirements at the time, or stay closed until the science on a new virus is more defined...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The wearing of masks is not as easy a debate as "I want to protect others/myself so I'll wear one"  There is a lot more that has gone into the current situation, a lot of flip-flopping of "facts" by health officials, a lot of inconsistent implementation of the rules and regulations regarding shut down.

If that is KI's policy to wear mask, either by company choice, or by state enforcement that is fine, it is my choice to attend or not attend and I won't complain that its "unfair" if I choose to stay home.  Those rides and experiences will all be there next year.  however, if the wearing of masks is like most other places I've been, even places where it is required, a good chunk of the people will have them down below their nose, or under their chin, open at the side, or just not on at all.  As time marches on, facial coverings will get less and less enforced and I will feel non the safer because someone is wearing a mask but touching everything around me that I touch as well.

I wish it was all simple and a I feel for businesses of all sides that have been greatly crippled (if not killed) for varying reasons as well as those they employ and the financial burden they have had to endure.

4 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

I am sure this has been asked but I can not find anyplace that tells me what this means. I have been looking and googling but nothing. Maybe it needs its own thread. 

"A requirement to complete a pre-visit health screening declaration 24 hours prior to admission"

Nothing official yet (other than what you can see from the video or FAQ at Worlds of Fun), but it sounds like it is simply a survey you fill out in the app of the typical questions - have you had a temp in the last 14 days, have you been exposed to anyone with covid, etc.

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

Nothing official yet (other than what you can see from the video or FAQ at Worlds of Fun), but it sounds like it is simply a survey you fill out in the app of the typical questions - have you had a temp in the last 14 days, have you been exposed to anyone with covid, etc.

Okay, Thanks. If that is all it is then I am fine, I was thinking they wanted a doctors paperwork or something, lol. We are going to try and go one of the first 5 or 6 days but only long enough to ride Orion and leave. Sadly, I can't do a smart phone app. I hope there is another way to reserve a spot.