Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

2 hours ago, KIBeast said:

Let me re-iterate the original point. It's not one thing that lead to my decision not to attend. It's a combination of all the above. I have to ask you this...how close are you to Kings Island? Would you be willing to drive 3 hours, have one person in your party that registers a temperature (that may or may not be accurate) and told you are not able to come in, only to turn around and drive 3 hours back home? Or worse yet, 5 hours? (the travel time to for me to get to Carowinds) 

To assume I'm not taking it seriously or that I don't care or isn't a big deal is you just making a strawman argument. I've never stated any of the above.

As to your point #2, it will take 15 seconds to take, but you'll be waiting in line to have it checked for far longer than you are assuming. If you don't think checking everyone is going to slow down a process that already gets backed up by entering or re-entering the gate, you'll see how that turns out when you actually attend. 

Point #3, as evidenced by Six Flags' reservation system, it will likely run in to issues or just flat out crash altogether. I am not convinced nor is there evidence of any reservation issues that was due to some inferior program 6F chose to use.

I think you'll find that there will be a lot more people that travel from a long distance (especially those with kids) that will feel the same as I do. 

It takes me 1 hour 45 minutes to reach King's Island. How likely am I to not pass the temperature screening? Not very likely if I don't already feel sick.  If you have a temperature over 100 you will likely not feel good. Sure if you have been out in the sun all day in the heat and are dehydrated you might be over the 100 mark too and not pass but again you will be feeling it and know. In scenario 2 go cool off in the car by turning on the ac if you have it and drink some water. These are pretty much bonus days on our passes. I will put up with half empty slow trains masks, no shows, shorter days etc just to get to ride Orion. If you wanna go somewhere less restrictive then go to parks in Indiana or Kentucky.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

And Lagoon required them when they opened. Either they dropped the rule or they still have it, but they aren't enforcing it.

Yep. The two sides to this are going to be compliance and enforcement. People wanted the park open? Awesome. When it's open, wear a face covering and social distance to prove that you can help keep people safe. 

And if parks are really concerned about keeping people safe, and not just coming up with policies so they can get the greenlight to open, they need to enforce this. 

Like I said elsewhere in the thread, I think there's some flexibility about spirit of the law and letter of the law. If people are walking through the midway at a good social distance and not wearing the mask, maybe don't feel you have to enforce that. But if you're going to be flexible there, jump in and enforce it when there's a legit issue (I see crowding in the queues or around benches/dining areas without masks to be a big danger area). When it's serious, treat it like (you are supposed to treat) line jumping: get them out of the park. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PilotDude said:

Exactly why the only solution is a virtual queue but doesn't look like Cedar Fair has chosen to not go that route.  IMHO this is a mistake as virtual queuing is the future of amusement parks, case in point Disney was using it before the COVID-19 shut down and it was receiving rave reviews.  Keep people out of cattle corrals where they can't spend money, and get them out and moving to places they can spend money, seems like common sense to me that they will pay for themselves in a short amount of time.

It was? Quite the opposite.  Walt's park has the MaxPass, which is much easier to navigate.  As regards temp checks, the park isn't going to take each one individually.  People will pass under a thermal scanner, which is monitored.  Anyone showing above the threshold will be removed,

1 hour ago, PatchesC said:

Per Worlds of Fun Platinum holder reservations will be limited per park NOT to the CF chain combined. So can hold multiple places at the same time.

20200611_133110.jpg

That's good to hear. If I can use the reservation system, then that means I can do one at KI and one at CP! :D

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

It is indeed. Furthermore, they’re on an upwards trend in terms of number of cases.9C1A903C-C321-444B-AE94-D0CA76F721B6.png

The graph displayed there is the total number of cases. I'm unsure if it's going up or not, but take a look at the daily hospitalization numbers for a more clear picture.

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

It is indeed. Furthermore, they’re on an upwards trend in terms of number of cases.9C1A903C-C321-444B-AE94-D0CA76F721B6.png

Is that the number of total cases were or new cases that specific day not counting the old ones? If it’s over time The number will literally never go down. You could only be getting 5 new cases a day and it would still be an upward trend. New cases that day resetting each day would be very different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Nobody will be able to enforce this any better.  

Universal has done a decent job, so why can’t Cedar Fair? If they want this reopening to go as smooth as possible and establish the public’s trust, they better be enforcing their policies. If people see that Kings Island is not enforcing their safety policies, they will lose their trust in Kings Island.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

People just need to CALM DOWN! In this article it mentions how signage, announcement, and employees will be enforcing the mask policy. Tony Clark also said that he expects people to be keeping their masks on throughout the day, probably through enforcement.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

It was? Quite the opposite.  Walt's park has the MaxPass, which is much easier to navigate.  As regards temp checks, the park isn't going to take each one individually.  People will pass under a thermal scanner, which is monitored.  Anyone showing above the threshold will be removed,

My brother was at Disney World in late February and per his report most of the kids rides had you check in with a wrist band, and it gave you the time to come back. So they went to play until it was their turn to ride. He said they and other parents loved it and were raving about it.  This was outside the FastPass stuff they had. He stated this was unlimited and they were able to use FastPass elsewhere.

• Like 1

I don't know why everyone's surprised that these parks aren't enforcing the mask rules. CF won't be either, as I've been saying all along. It's too much of a firestorm, you'd need people literally everywhere in the park to enforce it, etc.

I laugh when I see people saying that non-mask wearers will be kicked out of the park. It's just not going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

And yet theses same people rant about "outrage culture," "a business' rights to turn away customers over certain (often petty) circumstances,"  and "people needing special treatment." 

• Like 2

Large scale enforcement at these regional parks seems like an absolute pipe dream. The public seems, so far, largely against masks. Judging by social media interactions is always risky, but it looks almost exclusively negative between Facebook/twitter/IG and YouTube comment sections so far. I watched Midway Mayhem's vlog from SeaWorld Orlando just now and the park guy they interview even mentioned that guests are going to be surprised at the level of discomfort you might feel when wearing masks in the park. He said that to discuss the rest areas the park is setting up, but it gives you some indication that, at the park management level, they know this is going to be an issue. We will be wearing ours even when we go to Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom, but I expect to be around a lot of guests at all the parks who are not. 

15 minutes ago, refrigerator said:

What does that even mean?

I've been listening to grumps my entire life. They complain about how "people get too offended these days" and downplay every single issue (that conveniently doesn't affect them) as people "whining." When people protest a business for rejecting customers based on certain kind of preference, they defend that business by saying "they have the right to reject customers based on their reasons." And yet, here I am, listening to the same resentful schmucks getting offended by businesses asking them to wear face masks, and claiming it's "injustice."*

Sadly, I used to listen to people like this. As I've gotten older, I realized.. they're completely full of it

*For the record, I'm talking about people I know in person and those who are actively protesting the face mask situation -- as well as the grown men throwing temper tantrums at bookstores and other businesses -- not necessarily anyone here. I'm sure we all have a weird friend or relative like that. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I've been listening to grumps my entire life. They complain about how "people get too offended these days" and downplay every single issue (that conveniently doesn't affect them) as people "whining." When people protest a business for rejecting customers based on certain kind of preference, they defend that business by saying "they have the right to reject customers based on their reasons." And yet, here I am, listening to the same resentful schmucks getting offended by businesses asking them to wear face masks, and claiming it's "injustice."*

Sadly, I used to listen to people like this. As I've gotten older, I realized.. they're completely full of it

*For the record, I'm talking about people I know in person and those who are actively protesting the face mask situation -- as well as the grown men throwing temper tantrums at bookstores and other businesses -- not necessarily anyone here. I'm sure we all have a weird friend or relative like that. 

Who is they and them? The ambiguous language makes for an extremely weak argument.

1 hour ago, chibul said:

I don't know why everyone's surprised that these parks aren't enforcing the mask rules. CF won't be either, as I've been saying all along. It's too much of a firestorm, you'd need people literally everywhere in the park to enforce it, etc.

I laugh when I see people saying that non-mask wearers will be kicked out of the park. It's just not going to happen.

If like Universal, you won’t be able to enter a queue where an attendant is present (like Banshee, Beast, etc.) if not wearing a mask and you wont’t be able to board if you are not wearing a mask once on the platform.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

If like Universal, you won’t be able to enter a queue where an attendant is present (like Banshee, Beast, etc.) if not wearing a mask and you wont’t be able to board if you are not wearing a mask once on the platform.

I'm also wondering if they are going to stop the ride if someone takes their mask off on the lift hill like they do for phones. Mainly because if they require them to enter the line and on the platform, I'm sure there will be some people who will choose to take them off after they leave the station.