Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm also wondering if they are going to stop the ride if someone takes their mask off on the lift hill like they do for phones. Mainly because if they require them to enter the line and on the platform, I'm sure there will be some people who will choose to take them off after they leave the station. 

On ride photos may catch some of those lol, guess they could cut out those people same as when certain gestures are made. "No ride photo for you buddy" ;)Unless they follow the Universal water ride requirement: being allowed to take them off is not until restraints are in place and checked.

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

Can masks even stay on a person in an open air coaster car at 50+ mph?

From reports in most cases they can and will.  Surely depends on how snug the fit is, hats can stay on, they often fly off as well.  My thought is it could be a problem when you turn your head sideways in some manner like looking over at your ride partner and the wind gets between your face and the mask.  At 90+mph that might be a problem, but will depend on the mask design.  Motorcyclists frequently tie a bandana on their face and do not have issues.

As said towards the begining of this thread for a pre-visit test when someone else is driving stick your head out the window on the highway. :P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Best news I've heard all week. Also for the people complaining about the masks not being enforced, don't go. I mean that's what you guys keep telling the people who don't like the policy. But let me guess were not allowed to have an opinion right? Even though this is all being blown out of proportion, wheres those 5k new cases we were supposed to get everyday? What happened to letting people get back to work after the curve was flattened? Seems like its being drug out quite a bit...

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

Best news I've heard all week. Also for the people complaining about the masks not being enforced, don't go. I mean that's what you guys keep telling the people who don't like the policy. But let me guess were not allowed to have an opinion right? Even though this is all being blown out of proportion, wheres those 5k new cases we were supposed to get everyday? What happened to letting people get back to work after the curve was flattened? Seems like its being drug out quite a bit...

We had a lockdown, thus OH never hit 5k per day or worse.  Funny how that works.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chibul said:

I don't know why everyone's surprised that these parks aren't enforcing the mask rules. CF won't be either, as I've been saying all along. It's too much of a firestorm, you'd need people literally everywhere in the park to enforce it, etc.

I laugh when I see people saying that non-mask wearers will be kicked out of the park. It's just not going to happen.

We are in the midst of a global pandemic.

If we want to do the stuff we used to do we have to make changes. It is now a societal norm to now wear a mask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

44tzig.jpg

23 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

We had a lockdown, thus OH never hit 5k per day or worse.  Funny how that works.

The 1969 Mets were projected to do terribly. After a few moves they won the World Series. It didn’t meet projections, as the citizen’s actions resulted in a difference being made.

29 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Just stop while you are behind. If anything Dewine and Acton didn't act correctly on much of anything.

Check out this article. Illustrastes how DeWine and Acton completely failed the nursing homes and prisons which costed lives.

https://www.cleveland.com/coronavirus/2020/06/1745-ohio-nursing-home-patients-now-dead-with-coronavirus-71-of-all-known-ohio-covid-19-deaths.html?outputType=amp

If anything, they completely screwed up the lockdown by not locking down earlier. See link below on the Flu actitiviy in Ohio for 2020.

https://odh.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odh/know-our-programs/seasonal-influenza/ohio-flu-activity/ohio-flu-activity

Article below shows that Covid was here on January 2nd.

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2020/06/state-now-identifies-302-cases-pre-dating-first-confirmations-of-coronavirus-in-ohio-march-9.html

Also you explain the 32% decrease in hospitalizations in the last 2 weeks in Ohio after we have been open for a month and after Memorial Day?

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/key-metrics/hospitalizations

Check this chart that says the media age of death due to covid is 81 in Ohio

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/key-metrics/mortality

What is the actual life expectenacy in Ohio you might ask? 77 in 2017

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/08/786039745/whats-behind-decreased-life-expectancy-in-the-u-s#:~:text=BUSH STEVENS%3A The average life,2017 was about 77 years.

Mic Drop

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KIBeast said:

Let me re-iterate the original point. It's not one thing that lead to my decision not to attend. It's a combination of all the above. I have to ask you this...how close are you to Kings Island? Would you be willing to drive 3 hours, have one person in your party that registers a temperature (that may or may not be accurate) and told you are not able to come in, only to turn around and drive 3 hours back home? Or worse yet, 5 hours? (the travel time to for me to get to Carowinds) 

To assume I'm not taking it seriously or that I don't care or isn't a big deal is you just making a strawman argument. I've never stated any of the above.

As to your point #2, it will take 15 seconds to take, but you'll be waiting in line to have it checked for far longer than you are assuming. If you don't think checking everyone is going to slow down a process that already gets backed up by entering or re-entering the gate, you'll see how that turns out when you actually attend. 

Point #3, as evidenced by Six Flags' reservation system, it will likely run in to issues or just flat out crash altogether. I am not convinced nor is there evidence of any reservation issues that was due to some inferior program 6F chose to use.

I think you'll find that there will be a lot more people that travel from a long distance (especially those with kids) that will feel the same as I do. 

If you get told you can't enter because of your temperature then that's for your own safety for those around you whether it's accurate or not it's a safety precaution for all guests. There's precautions you can take before going such as taking your own temperature and if you're in a safe zone there should be no reason why you can't enter the park. Those temperature gauges may not be 100% accurate but it will be accurate enough not to give a terribly off reading.

I'm not saying EVERYONE is not taking it seriously. I'm saying those who complain about having to wear a face masks or abide by these rules that are put in for EVERYONE'S safety. Too many posts about face masks being uncomfortable or inconvenient. Fine I get it then don't come to the park and don't complain about precautions that are put in when we are in the middle of a PANDEMIC

Waiting in lines should be expected when there are precautions in place. That's why they are putting a maximum allowed capacity and reservation system in place to help offset this. I'm fine with waiting in line to get my temperature checked because I will feel more comfortable being around other guests knowing they passed a temperature check. So what if I have to wait? 

The reservation system may be slow or have problems but it's necessary. I'm just happy I can I can go to the park this year and that the park is taking this seriously enough. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

So is your point OH shouldn’t have done anything at all or they it was done imperfectly?

Never said that.

I laid out what they should have done in my post. Protect the nursing homes, congregate living facilities and elderly.

If they were going to lock down they missed that by weeks.

DeWine and Acton missed the mark on almost everything, which can be seen in my post above.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, refrigerator said:

Never said that.

I laid out what they should have done in my post. Protect the nursing homes, congregate living facilities and elderly.

If they were going to lock down they missed that by weeks.

DeWine and Acton missed the mark on almost everything, which can be seen in my post above.

I think you misread my post.  I said nothing about DeWine or Acton.  I simply responded to Spooky that OH never hit the 5K projection due to the actions that were taken. I have never defended DeWine he is clearly messing up this reopening just as bad or worse than he handled the shutdown.  Though I maintain doing something was better than doing nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, King Ding Dong said:

I think you misread my post.  I said nothing about DeWine or Acton.  I simply responded to Spooky that OH never hit the 5K projection due to the actions that were taken. I have never defended DeWine he is clearly messing up this reopening just as bad or worse than he handled the shutdown.  Though I maintain dosing something was better than doing nothing

The lockdown does not happen without Dewine and Acton and their ridiculously wrong "models".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, refrigerator said:

No idea but the ones that Dewine and Acton peddled were never correct.  The models were the impetus for the terribly handled lock down.

Very true, statistical models very rarely provide perfect results. They are almost always wrong to some degree.  

I am a bit confused on the article you linked that reports the virus was here on Jan 2nd. What is your point by citing that?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, refrigerator said:

No idea but the ones that Dewine and Acton peddled were never correct.  The models were the impetus for the terribly handled lock down.

You’re awfully quick to criticize and then admit you don’t have the answers yourself. The fact is, DeWine and Acton shut everything down before almost every other state, in a completely unprecedented situation. We still don’t have all the answers about this virus. So to say they acted way too late seems to be Monday-morning quarterbacking at best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Very true, statistical models very rarely provide perfect results. They are almost always wrong to some degree.  

I am a bit confused on the article you linked that reports the virus was here on Jan 2nd. What is your point by citing that?

Shows how much they missed the lock down by.  If you combine that article with the chart in Flu Activity in 2020 it shows how we should have locked down much earlier than we did if we were to lock down at all.

1 minute ago, MoreFogPlease said:

You’re awfully quick to criticize and then admit you don’t have the answers yourself. The fact is, DeWine and Acton shut everything down before almost every other state, in a completely unprecedented situation. We still don’t have all the answers about this virus. So to say they acted way too late seems to be Monday-morning quarterbacking at best.

I don't have the readily available data that those two have at their disposal to make decisions.  

Also once more information does become available, which it has and did, I am willing to have that challenge my prior beliefs.  This did not seem like something that was happening with Dewine and Acton.  

2 minutes ago, refrigerator said:

Shows how much they missed the lock down by.  If you combine that article with the chart in Flu Activity in 2020 it shows how we should have locked down much earlier than we did.

I agree we should have, while also acknowledging Ohio was one of the first states to take any action at all.  I am still confused by the article you cited though, are you saying if we should have locked down in early January?

• Like 3

I agree we should have, while also acknowledging Ohio was one of the first states to take any action at all.  I am still confused by the article you cited though, are you saying if we should have locked down in early January?

No,  it is a reference point to  show much we missed the peak by, especially when combined with the flu activity chart.  Of the published current hospitalizations of Covid in Ohio, it never reached the levels of the flu for this year.

1 minute ago, flightoffear1996 said:

At what point do health officials declare heard immunity?  Also if we look back on the 1918 flu it lasted to years.  Of course times are different now and I believe that the Spanish flu was more deadly.  

80% with vaccine or acquired immunity is the number I see most often, less frequently 70%.  I do not believe acquired immunity has been definitively established with this virus yet, it is assumed.  Maybe there is some evidence I have not seen yet.  

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

Can masks even stay on a person in an open air coaster car at 50+ mph?

Japan requires all park guests and employees to wear masks including on rides.  From what I have heard masks have not been a problem on rides like Steel Dragon 2000, Hakugei and Do-Dodonpa.  If none of those are causing issues I have no idea what coaster would.

5 minutes ago, refrigerator said:

No,  it is a reference point to  show much we missed the peak by, especially when combined with the flu activity chart.  Of the published current hospitalizations of Covid in Ohio, it never reached the levels of the flu for this year.

Still not sure what the flu numbers have to do with Covid-19 but yes I agree the peak number of Covid hospitalizations was not predicted perfectly.  

Regarding mask requirements, as of TODAY (and every day feels like a week or two with this virus) Indiana is not requiring school employees nor children to wear masks when we go back around August 12th. This might end up varying by school corporation to some degree. One of the problems I learned today is if we tell parents everyone at school is required to wear masks and will be enforced at all times, and then little Johnny takes his off for a break, then the whole class gets Covid because of little Johnny....the school becomes open game for a lawsuit. Because we didn't 100% guarantee everyone had a mask on at all times. So it's not required, and parents know it's not required, send your child to school assuming all risk. 

There will be many differing opinions on this I'm sure. But it's half checking with the county health department, and half checking with the dang lawyers. If you catch my drift.

Still not sure what the flu numbers have to do with Covid-19 but yes I agree the peak number of Covid hospitalizations was not predicted perfectly.  

Overlapping symptoms. Many of these flu hospitalizations were undoutedly Covid hospitalizations. 

15 minutes ago, refrigerator said:

Overlapping symptoms. Many of these flu hospitalizations were undoutedly Covid hospitalizations. 

That could be.  To bad we didn’t have adequate Covid testing early on like so many other countries like South Korea did. We still don’t in many areas.  

Well @bjcolglazier I hope it works out for you in Indiana, doesn’t seem like much of a plan however.  I don’t know what we are doing in Ohio yet.

By the way did @Hawaiian Coasters 325 win the prize? 

What is the latest from Mitch on your Soviet Re-education Center?

• Like 1