Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 hour ago, jensenracing77 said:

If I go and am wearing a mask, the first time I see someone smoking out of a designated area and not told to put it out, The mask will come off and will stay off. 

that puts you in the same class as the smoker. Two wrongs do not make it right!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Plenty of people won’t be taking there masks off. As I said just because other places don’t require masks, doesn’t mean it will happen at KI. KI has laid down the rules, and they will be followed, if people want to have fun at the park.

In fact, the CDC now requires masks to be worn for large groups.

I must've missed the part where you were in charge of KI security. My mistake!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chibul said:

I must've missed the part where you were in charge of KI security. My mistake!

You’re missing the big picture. We are in a pandemic. As I said previously, just because other parks are taking a lax stance on masks doesn’t mean KI will. As stated in the park’s policy, masks will be worn. That’s the rule, and we shall follow it.

Furthermore, CDC just sent out new recommendations stating that those in large gatherings of people must wear masks.

• Like 1

I don’t like wearing masks but the thing is Kings Island submitted one their plans that they were going to require masks to be worn. Masks are part of the reason Kings Island will be allowed to open so soon. Regardless of how you feel about the potential to save another person by choosing to not wear your mask at Kings Island you are jeopardizing your and all of our abilities to enjoy Kings Island in the future. There are so many Karen’s in the world. People will record it and people will post it. The government could easily shut the park back down and say never mind too many people not wearing the masks. It’s not a political discussion, your being asked to do something as part of your decision to go to Kings Island this season. Something no one has forced you to do. Respect the process and enjoy the rides. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

You’re missing the big picture. We are in a pandemic. As I said previously, just because other parks are taking a lax stance on masks doesn’t mean KI will. As stated in the park’s policy, masks will be worn. That’s the rule, and we shall follow it.

Furthermore, CDC just sent out new recommendations stating that those in large gatherings of people must wear masks.

8 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

I don’t like wearing masks but the thing is Kings Island submitted one their plans that they were going to require masks to be worn. Masks are part of the reason Kings Island will be allowed to open so soon. Regardless of how you feel about the potential to save another person by choosing to not wear your mask at Kings Island you are jeopardizing your and all of our abilities to enjoy Kings Island in the future. There are so many Karen’s in the world. People will record it and people will post it. The government could easily shut the park back down and say never mind too many people not wearing the masks. It’s not a political discussion, your being asked to do something as part of your decision to go to Kings Island this season. Something no one has forced you to do. Respect the process and enjoy the rides. 

I'm not saying I won't wear the mask - I intend to after some thought about whether or not to skip the season.

What I'm saying, plain and simple, is that if people expect to go to KI and see 100% compliance at all times, or if they expect 100% enforcement at all times, they're in for a rude awakening, because it's simply not going to happen.

Also, there's a big difference between the CDC "recommending" and stating something "must" occur. The fact is if we had a nationwide (or even state, such as NY) rule about masks in all public places, this would all be a moot point. Blame our "leaders" for dropping the ball on that front.

@gforce1994 I think there will be some reasonableness involved here.   If you need a break and sit down off to the side on a midway and take off your mask for a breather and to hydrate nobody is going to hassle you.  You can be easily avoided.  

A moving target without a mask on is is significantly less easy to avoid especially as the park ramps up attendance.  The rules of the road on a midway are much less defined than on a real road.  People, especially teenagers, like to travel in packs often 4-5 wide and maintaining distance is much more difficult.  We all get bumped into on the midways by people not paying attention to what they are doing.  Frequently it is like a game of chicken and nobody backs down.  My strategy is to just stop walking when I see I am about to be hit and that usually causes the opposing party to notice and they avoid a collision.  

16 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

@gforce1994 I think there will be some reasonableness involved here.   If you need a break and sit down off to the side on a midway and take off your mask for a breather and to hydrate nobody is going to hassle you.  You can be easily avoided.  

A moving target without a mask on is is significantly less easy to avoid especially as the park ramps up attendance.  The rules of the road on a midway are much less defined than on a real road.  People, especially teenagers, like to travel in packs often 4-5 wide and maintaining distance is much more difficult.  We all get bumped into on the midways by people not paying attention to what they are doing.  Frequently it is like a game of chicken and nobody backs down.  My strategy is to just stop walking when I see I am about to be hit and that usually causes the opposing party to notice and they avoid a collision.  

UO has areas off of the regular path where people can take there masks off. That area from what I’ve heard is strictly monitored by cast members.

Hypothetically, it could be done, provided that social distancing is enforced. This could theoretically be done at the old Gold Pass entrance, SOB queue, Action Theatre queue, crypt queue, and Planet Snoopy theatre. I don’t expect to see people who need a break, remove their masks in the middle of or side of a crowded pathway.

IMO in the middle of a midway is the wrong place, but if someone gets winded or lightheaded making them hike a few hundred yards to the next designated area is not reasonable either.  We don’t need people collapsing in the midways.  It is not all that different that traveling on the highway.  It is best to pull off at the next exit but if your vehicle is shaking or smoke billowing out the hood you pull off on the shoulder and assess the situation. 

• Like 4

There will be tones of people who don’t respect the policy. Just like the tones of people who don’t respect the smoking, shirt, line jumping, cell phone and numerous other policies throughout the park. It’s sad but the park needs to do a better job. When I worked at the park yeah they told us to tell people when we saw them breaking the rules but we had no real power. After 5 guests not listening to you, you start to get discouraged and not want to say anything anymore. Especially when so many of the guests were drunk or tbh just trashy people who would start confrontation over being told to put a shirt on. Cedar Fair needs to do a better job sticking up for their employees if they want them to enforce their policies. But tbh I think they really only care about the phone policy. 

• Like 5

On 5/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, teenageninja said:

Ultimately, it's going to fall on guests/customers to determine if the risk is worth the reward.  You are seeing that in general.  The Skyline I visit every Thursday for lunch at work has been empty the past two weeks, when it's generally at capacity at lunch time.  

The LaRosa's by my house always had a full parking lot but now its almost a ghost town even though their dining room is open. 

Its going to take a while for most people to not be afraid to go back to their normal routine when this is all said and done.

@IndyGuy4KI there's always going to be people who don't respect the park's policy, I still see people smoking on midways when I go on occasion. Its going to be hard to enforce it all the time, especially in certain situations like consuming food. It'll be interesting to see how strongly the mask policy will be enforced when things officially reopen. Pictures of people in crowds without masks and the lack of social distancing has already cicirculating around the community. People just don't understand that when they're are at a park they have to abide by their rules.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

The LaRosa's by my house always had a full parking lot but now its almost a ghost town even though their dining room is open. 

Its going to take a while for most people to not be afraid to go back to their normal routine when this is all said and done.

@IndyGuy4KI there's always going to be people who don't respect the park's policy, I still see people smoking on midways when I go on occasion. Its going to be hard to enforce it all the time, especially in certain situations like consuming food. It'll be interesting to see how strongly the mask policy will be enforced when things officially reopen. Pictures of people in crowds without masks and the lack of social distancing has already cicirculating around the community. People just don't understand that when they're are at a park they have to abide by their rules.

My wife is unsure if she will go to Kings Island this year or not. 

Enquirer.com is reporting that a petition has started to remove the mandate of masks at Kings Island.  I understand that masks will not be comfortable but, if that is what is required to go Kings Island this summer, I'll endure it easily.  Wearing masks has helped and continues to help.  No, it isn't perfect but it does assist with preventing the spread of the disease.  I think that I'm going to go with a combo of neck gaiter and mask.  I think that the gaiter would be cooler for wearing while walking around and the mask will stay on better while riding.  Watched TimTracker on Youtube and his neck gaiter wasn't very reliable on Mako, the tallest, fastest, meanest, bitieist,and longest roller coaster in Orlando (some of these are no longer true).  The paper mask held up much better.  

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Skibum said:

My wife is unsure if she will go to Kings Island this year or not. 

Enquirer.com is reporting that a petition has started to remove the mandate of masks at Kings Island.  I understand that masks will not be comfortable but, if that is what is required to go Kings Island this summer, I'll endure it easily.  Wearing masks has helped and continues to help.  No, it isn't perfect but it does assist with preventing the spread of the disease.  I think that I'm going to go with a combo of neck gaiter and mask.  I think that the gaiter would be cooler for wearing while walking around and the mask will stay on better while riding.  Watched TimTracker on Youtube and his neck gaiter wasn't very reliable on Mako, the tallest, fastest, meanest, bitieist,and longest roller coaster in Orlando (some of these are no longer true).  The paper mask held up much better.  

If I have to wear a paper mask I'm staying in my house and going nowhere. I hate them. I'll wear a gaiter made of cloth to the park and if it falls down on a ride so be it. Some parks like Dollywood are not requiring masks on 'high thrill" rides anyways.

• Like 1

Dollywood also put out an update that they too are going to have rest areas throughout the park where you can take your masks off. They watched universal and felt that was a good way to go and help encourage compliance in the hotter humid weather.

i made elastic bands to at least make sure our masks don't fly off if they slip. Or are tight but all the coasters at Dollywood we'll be new to us.  

15 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:
On 5/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, teenageninja said:

I wish it had stayed that way in pigeon forge. They canceled the rod  run yet came anyways and thousands flocked the parkway from Friday through this morning.  It was madness thankful for back roads around the parkway to escape the bumper to bumper madness.

I'm guessing that disposable paper cups will be the ONLY drink plan options this year??   

If so, what do you think they will do with the 8 million blue(?) souvenir bottles that have a 2020 sticker with Orion on them that they most likely already have?    Change the stickers and use them next year? 

13 minutes ago, Driver8rws said:

I'm guessing that disposable paper cups will be the ONLY drink plan options this year??   

If so, what do you think they will do with the 8 million blue(?) souvenir bottles that have a 2020 sticker with Orion on them that they most likely already have?    Change the stickers and use them next year? 

I bet no freestyle but there's no difference then filling your cup over the counter. There holding your cup either way. The self serve dance will have one employee touching the buttons to fill your drink.  The self serve take away is a bit over the top imo if it was highly spread by touching we'd all had it by now because you can't guarantee sanitation on every little thing.   Honestly let people use them and have a sanitizer station at the exit. Touch the buttons take a squirt of sanitizer.  

From my observations down here in TN places we're all over the place on the scale of compliance. Most restaurants employees wore masks, a few were not. A few indoor required masks the entire time others recommended but didn't force.  Hardly anyone wore them in outdoor spaces. We'll be interesting to see how it goes today at Dollywood. 

49 minutes ago, Driver8rws said:

They're still selling the souvenir bottles as add-ons for gold passes on their website, so I'd imagine those are staying.

• Like 1