Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Dollywood is cleaning trains every hour. Every other row capacity and sanitizer before rising to help expedite cleaning procedures.  Masks optional. Mine stayed but if they are loose fitting they recommend you hold them in your hand or a zipper pocket.  Definitely the neck gaiter style seems to be a great option for the on off worry, and hand free option for those who don't hold on for dear life LOLOL :D 

• Like 1

I’m curious about how Ki is going to handle its employee benefits this year. For one will KI employees get to go to the park like they normally do? Do they go through the reservation process? Employees also get access to non Cedar Fair parks in the area like kk and holiday world. I’m curious if that’s still gonna be a thing and how that would work with reservations. Also curious to know if they will still get an Orion preview day. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

Dollywood is cleaning trains every hour. Every other row capacity and sanitizer before rising to help expedite cleaning procedures.  Masks optional. Mine stayed but if they are loose fitting they recommend you hold them in your hand or a zipper pocket.  Definitely the neck gaiter style seems to be a great option for the on off worry, and hand free option for those who don't hold on for dear life LOLOL :D 

Are masks optional in the park or on rides u mean?

Masks are required at both Dollywood and Silver Dollar City but don't have to be worn on "High Thrill" or water attractions. We booked a trip to SDC for early August and that part of their plan caught my attention. I assume that means Powder Keg, Wildfire, Time Traveler and Outlaw Run. We are going with the neck gaiters like Lucky was saying for our trips.

10 minutes ago, BBN said:

Are masks optional in the park or on rides u mean?

Optional on black diamond thrill rides. They are required in the park but they have multiple rest areas where you can take it off and just distance. 

edit to add: I wore mine in lightning rod but it wasn't required. But you can't leave them in the bins while you ride, it's either your hand or pocket. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

I've got a few neck gaiter and 2 neck gaiters with ear loops just in case. It'll be interesting to see which does better because they are all loose fitting on me.

On 6/14/2020 at 12:48 AM, SonofBaconator said:

Its going to take a while for most people to not be afraid to go back to their normal routine when this is all said and done.

More people would resume their normal routine if other people didn't see public health measures as affront to their 'personal freedom'. The people that are going back to restaurants, etc. now are the ones who never thought this was a real issue to begin with-so there's no masks, no distance, etc...which will in turn keep cautious people from even wanting to mess with it. While outdoor parks should be safer-I'm still not sure if I'm going to KI this year. The park can implement whatever policy it wants, but if guests see it all as just a big annoyance and not a real thing, then no measures will be effective.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PatchesC said:

I've got a few neck gaiter and 2 neck gaiters with ear loops just in case. It'll be interesting to see which does better because they are all loose fitting on me.

Like expected people are seen wearing them many are doing the under the nose.. :/ but many are wearing the Gaiter style ( wish I had picked one up) and wearing those better than people just wearing regular masks. For the optional on some rides the gaiter sure makes it easy to change between on and off

On 6/14/2020 at 10:39 AM, Skibum said:

My wife is unsure if she will go to Kings Island this year or not. 

Enquirer.com is reporting that a petition has started to remove the mandate of masks at Kings Island.  I understand that masks will not be comfortable but, if that is what is required to go Kings Island this summer, I'll endure it easily.  Wearing masks has helped and continues to help.  No, it isn't perfect but it does assist with preventing the spread of the disease.  I think that I'm going to go with a combo of neck gaiter and mask.  I think that the gaiter would be cooler for wearing while walking around and the mask will stay on better while riding.  Watched TimTracker on Youtube and his neck gaiter wasn't very reliable on Mako, the tallest, fastest, meanest, bitieist,and longest roller coaster in Orlando (some of these are no longer true).  The paper mask held up much better.  

I watched TheTimTracker on Youtube over the weekend and I really appreciated him going into the parks (Sea World, Universal and BGT) and assessing the social distancing situation. These videos further solidified why I'll mostly be on the sidelines this year (as in, probably won't be going to KI or CP for 2020, as much as I'd like to). In the Sea World video, he even said something to the effect of "now is not the time to go to the parks". Also, even if I did go, the logistics of avoiding crowds, even to get one ride on The Bat, would be insane as there are so many places that could be potentially crowded. As a final note, I really hope someone does a video guide like this for Kings Island so people know what to expect.

16 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

I watched TheTimTracker on Youtube over the weekend and I really appreciated him going into the parks (Sea World, Universal and BGT) and assessing the social distancing situation. These videos further solidified why I'll mostly be on the sidelines this year (as in, probably won't be going to KI or CP for 2020, as much as I'd like to). In the Sea World video, he even said something to the effect of "now is not the time to go to the parks". Also, even if I did go, the logistics of avoiding crowds, even to get one ride on The Bat, would be insane as there are so many places that could be potentially crowded. As a final note, I really hope someone does a video guide like this for Kings Island so people know what to expect.

My suggestion if you're a passholder would be to do wed or tues of the passholder week. I'm currently at Dollywood and people are spacing out and following the guidelines. There are many employees managers etc walking around to encourage proper wear etc. yes some are doing the under nose thing but I believe in the outdoor is not as big a threat as indoors.  Most part people are behaving. Florida is almost its own world compared to our northern theme parks. 

i hope to go opening weekend to ki and would gladly photo and report how they handle it. 

3AB4D816-F124-4682-BB56-9D2E89103E29.jpeg

69A389F8-F14C-4540-BFC0-228B00EBF400.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

I'll be there for First Rider, then hopefully snag a reservation for between July 2nd-5th. Probably be photos more than videos due to battery drain but I'll post info when I can. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bengalsguy23 said:

I’m curious about how Ki is going to handle its employee benefits this year. For one will KI employees get to go to the park like they normally do? Do they go through the reservation process? Employees also get access to non Cedar Fair parks in the area like kk and holiday world. I’m curious if that’s still gonna be a thing and how that would work with reservations. Also curious to know if they will still get an Orion preview day. 

I'm wondering about this too. We haven't heard anything as of yet either way

Its a bit odd that we are just a bit over 2 weeks till open and still no way to reserve days and even odder that they likely will not allow us to reserve multiple days at a time. It makes it hard to plan anything. Lots of lost money in things like hotel stays too only allowing one day visits at a time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Its a bit odd that we are just a bit over 2 weeks till open and still no way to reserve days and even odder that they likely will not allow us to reserve multiple days at a time. It makes it hard to plan anything. Lots of lost money in things like hotel stays too only allowing one day visits at a time.

We have an expensive backup plan with being at Great Wolf Lodge, but 2 days would be our normal visit. Guess we'll see when we get closer what their policy will be. 2 weeks out is still longer than WoF got though, they were released the 11th with a June 22nd opening.

4 hours ago, chibul said:

@LuckyluvsKI how are the lines down there compared to normal?

To be fair this is our first visit. But with the distancing and separated seating took about 45 mins for lightning rod first go around right at opening second round right after only took about 15/20 as they got the rhythm and include circuit to clean the trains. Lines I think we'll dip here as it's currently under a thunderstorm. It was a walk on in blazing fury.  We're not rushing and just taking our time. 

edit to add: wild eagle walk on, Tennessee tornado like 10 mins , longest so far was fire chaser express at 45

2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Worlds of Fun allows for two visit reservations at a time. No reason to think KI will only allow for one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vortex said:

https://youtu.be/UrHQ2RHAKiM

Found a video on YouTube explaining how things are going to work at Dollywood. Not sure if Kings Island we’ll be exactly the same but I thought it was interesting.

I do hope maybe they stock up in sanitizer. That really expedited the process and saved wiping in between. They just gave a little squirt before you boarded and that was good for their procedures and such.  Then did a full wipe down on the hour.  It was a great system.

So it seems Dollywood is not cracking down on people not wearing masks. I was able to compare the number of cases in Sevier County (Dollywood) compared to Harris County (Houston-site of the largest current hot spot). These numbers are adjusted to population size, but it’s alarming.

489A5CE6-5E0D-4657-8908-4E13A2FFA481.png

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

So it seems Dollywood is not cracking down on people not wearing masks. I was able to compare the number of cases in Sevier County (Dollywood) compared to Harris County (Houston-site of the largest current hot spot). These numbers are adjusted to population size, but it’s alarming.

They literally just opened and those they caught were told to put them back on. And results can't come that soon. Those numbers are likely from Memorial Day weekend from all the packed nuttiness. Bet in two weeks there will be another spike from the unofficial Rod weekend. 

• Like 1

Yeah! This will probably go down as the most interesting coaster debut ever! More interesting than Son of Beast since it didn't open on time and debuted during a global pandemic! I guarantee you that several years from now when we are discussing the construction of our next coaster, we'll probably look back at this and be like "remember when we had to wear masks when Orion debuted?" or "hopefully this doesn't get delayed like Orion did." 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

You realize that Dollywood just opened yesterday (the day you posted this), right?  So hours after opening, you are making an assumption that cases of COVID 19 are spiking in Sevier Co?  And many people who visit Dollywood are not residents of Sevier Co, as are many employees.  I don't get your causation/correlation theory.

• Like 8