Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 hours ago, IceePirate said:

At that point, it might just be cheaper to install a fountain and buy the BiB of your favorite sodas

I load up a cart with about 25 bottles when they go on sale for $1 at Kroger.  It used to be very hard to purchase the syrup if you were not a business but that may have changed.  I do have my own 20lb CO2 tank and regulator setup with a bottle cap so I can carbonate PET bottles. Since the SodaStream syrups got expensive I mostly use it for recarbonating flat soda, seltzer and various spirits.   

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

I load up a cart with about 25 bottles when they go on sale for $1 at Kroger.  It used to be very hard to purchase the syrup if you were not a business but that may have changed.  I do have my own 20lb CO2 tank and regulator setup with a bottle cap so I can carbonate bottles PET bottles. Since the SodaStream syrups got expensive I mostly use it for recarbonating flat soda, seltzer and various spirits.   

You can go to an independent restaurant and ask them to order some for you. You can also purchase them individually online too. I think Sam's club might have them too.

• Like 1

So far this is what World of Fun does not list as rides on their app

• Boomerang, Cyclone Sams, Detonator, Fury of the Nile, Ripcord 
  • Skyliner, Viking Voyager,
    Worlds of Fun Railroad
  • Camp Bus, Charlie Brown's Windup, Lucy's Tugboat, Pigpens Petting Farm (obviously)

21 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I load up a cart with about 25 bottles when they go on sale for $1 at Kroger.  It used to be very hard to purchase the syrup if you were not a business but that may have changed.  I do have my own 20lb CO2 tank and regulator setup with a bottle cap so I can carbonate bottles PET bottles. Since the SodaStream syrups got expensive I mostly use it for recarbonating flat soda, seltzer and various spirits.   

I am not a fan of the 2 liters. They go flat within a day of opening them and unopened have a short shelf life of about 3 months. But then that is just my own personal opinion and preference. Also better to store them somewhere dark because light affects clear bottles too.

2 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

The region consisting of 45040, the zip code for Mason, has been defined by DeWine as a COVID hotspot.

Everyone, head for your bunkers! @gforce1994 has identified Kings Island and surrounding areas as a death zone!  He has ID'd Dollywood and Holiday World, what's next?  Kentucky Kingdom and Six Flags Over Georgia?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KIBeast said:

The larger concern is cases resulting in hospitalizations, not number of cases. Anti-body testing in Ohio also shows that Covid-19 has been there since January.

For me as a visitor to Kings Island, no, it isn't. I'd rather feel somewhat safe in knowing I won't catch it at all, rather than "oh I might catch it and also may or may not be hospitalized."

To determine how impactful the disease is - yes, you're right. But I don't think people are looking at hospitalizations to determine if they're going to go to KI, nor should they.

59 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

I am not a fan of the 2 liters. They go flat within a day of opening them and unopened have a short shelf life of about 3 months. But then that is just my own personal opinion and preference. Also better to store them somewhere dark because light affects clear bottles too.

They will never last three months in my house.  Lol.  They also go flat quickly if you don’t keep open ones in the fridge.  I can also recarbonate them with my tank to my desired level of fizzy, I like supper fizzy.  My tank will carbonate 1100L and cost $17 to refill.

• Like 1

Sorry/not sorry for the double post, but I wanted to nit pick some mask issues I saw just a moment ago.

I saw an Instagram story from Ohio Valley Coaster, which I think does a great job.  Today's person on camera though, would have been much better off not wearing a mask at all.

His mask was made of cloth, and was very loose.  you could see it is not tight behind his ear.  Therefore, he was constantly moving the mask above his nose when it fell down.  Great for being conscientious!  However, if he was an asymptomatic carrier, the virus would be excreted in to the fibers of his mask through his mouth and nose.  Constantly touching the mask, then touching surfaces, it transfers the virus to them.  The next person who touches that surface picks up the virus, and then touches their nose and boom...possible transmission.

Wearing a mask is great, but wearing it properly is more important.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Sorry/not sorry for the double post, but I wanted to nit pick some mask issues I saw just a moment ago.

I saw an Instagram story from Ohio Valley Coaster, which I think does a great job.  Today's person on camera though, would have been much better off not wearing a mask at all.

His mask was made of cloth, and was very loose.  you could see it is not tight behind his ear.  Therefore, he was constantly moving the mask above his nose when it fell down.  Great for being conscientious!  However, if he was an asymptomatic carrier, the virus would be excreted in to the fibers of his mask through his mouth and nose.  Constantly touching the mask, then touching surfaces, it transfers the virus to them.  The next person who touches that surface picks up the virus, and then touches their nose and boom...possible transmission.

...you're not going to have a good time at the park, if you go this year, I'm afraid :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chibul said:

I don't think people are looking at hospitalizations to determine if they're going to go to KI, nor should they.

I am absolutely looking at hospitalizations and deaths when determining if I will go to KI this year. I do the same when deciding whether to go to the grocery store, or even to work in the morning. I'm not afraid of getting a really bad cold---been there many times before, that does not concern me. I'm worried about the likelihood of hospitalization and/or death.

9 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I am absolutely looking at hospitalizations and deaths when determining if I will go to KI this year. I do the same when deciding whether to go to the grocery store, or even to work in the morning. I'm not afraid of getting a really bad cold---been there many times before, that does not concern me. I'm worried about the likelihood of hospitalization and/or death.

The only trouble is - how do you know you would or wouldn't be hospitalized, if you did have it? That likelihood for each individual person varies, no matter how many others are admitted. 

Put it this way - whether there's 10 hospitalized or 1,000, that doesn't influence your particular chances of being hospitalized.

1 minute ago, chibul said:

The only trouble is - how do you know you would or wouldn't be hospitalized, if you did have it? That likelihood for each individual person varies, no matter how many others are admitted. 

Put it this way - whether there's 10 hospitalized or 1,000, that doesn't influence your particular chances of being hospitalized.

Nothing is certain. However, according to all available data there is an overwhelming chance I will survive if I get Covid-19. Same goes for my 3-hour-drive to the park, and my 3-hour-drive back. 

Just now, bjcolglazier said:

Nothing is certain. However, according to all available data there is an overwhelming chance I will survive if I get Covid-19. Same goes for my 3-hour-drive to the park, and my 3-hour-drive back. 

Right, I don't dispute that...which is why I say that hospitalizations don't really matter much, in terms of risk assessment. :)

Just now, chibul said:

Right, I don't dispute that...which is why I say that hospitalizations don't really matter much, in terms of risk assessment. :)

Hmm. Then how does one do risk-assessment in this case? If was older, I would not consider going anywhere near KI. Because the data is out there that age is a major factor. There's other factors of course, but age is the most visible.

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

Hmm. Then how does one do risk-assessment in this case? If was older, I would not consider going anywhere near KI. Because the data is out there that age is a major factor. There's other factors of course, but age is the most visible.

That's where I would look at the number of infections in the area, community spread rate, etc.

Admittedly, even THAT isn't perfect, though, because it's not as though all - or even most of - the people there will be from Warren County.

In short...there's no real perfect science to it.

1 minute ago, chibul said:

That's where I would look at the number of infections in the area, community spread rate, etc.

Admittedly, even THAT isn't perfect, though, because it's not as though all - or even most of - the people there will be from Warren County.

In short...there's no real perfect science to it.

I think you're misunderstanding me. By going to KI, I am assuming I might get Covid-19. At that point, it really is irrelevant how many people in Warren County are infected. Nor does it change my risk of hospitalization or death. Honestly everyone going to the park should be aware they are at risk of getting it.

13 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

For most, the mask is a virtue signaling device. Some are actually wearing it to keep themselves safe. I've seen so many with a mask that is an inch from their face on the sides because it doesn't fit them properly. I've seen many with it on, but tucked under their nose or chin..... I've seen an increase in facebook profile pics that are mask selfies, which shows me that it's an image thing to most. The desire to fit in. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

For most, the mask is a virtue signaling device. Some are actually wearing it to keep themselves safe. I've seen so many with a mask that is an inch from their face on the sides because it doesn't fit them properly. I've seen many with it on, but tucked under their nose or chin..... I've seen an increase in facebook profile pics that are mask selfies, which shows me that it's an image thing to most. The desire to fit in. 

I don't think anybody is wearing a mask only as a virtue signaling device. People who are wearing masks are doing so either to keep themselves safe, or because they are required to. Maybe for some people it acts as a virtue signal, but why does it function as a virtue signal? Because it helps keep people safe. I don't think anyone is wearing masks because they want to promote safety, if they don't actually think that masks help keep people safe.

• Like 3

This is one of the most ridiculous takes I have seen on this thread.  

Not knowing how to wear a mask properly is a function of poor messaging and example setting from our leaders, hardly virtue signaling. I would also fault video media for not running more demonstrations on proper construction and use although print and digital have run many good articles.

Nobody likes wearing a mask, it isn’t fun.  

• Like 2

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said he has not ruled out another shutdown in the state, telling CNN's Poppy Harlow that officials have "some tools that we need to use first."

The governor noted that despite overall cases going down and hospitalizations hitting a plateau, the state saw a spike yesterday in Southwest Ohio – near the Dayton and Cincinnati areas.

De Wine said they are watching those spikes "over the next few days."

"We're moving in with a lot more testing and a lot more tracing. So that's a tool that we have. The other tool we have is the ability for me and the mayors and the health directors to communicate to people in the areas where we're starting to see a rise. And those counties where I talked about, we're starting to see a rise. So we have to communicate that to people so they can make the right decision and that is to be careful," DeWine said.

6 minutes ago, chibul said:

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said he has not ruled out another shutdown in the state, telling CNN's Poppy Harlow that officials have "some tools that we need to use first."

The governor noted that despite overall cases going down and hospitalizations hitting a plateau, the state saw a spike yesterday in Southwest Ohio – near the Dayton and Cincinnati areas.

De Wine said they are watching those spikes "over the next few days."

"We're moving in with a lot more testing and a lot more tracing. So that's a tool that we have. The other tool we have is the ability for me and the mayors and the health directors to communicate to people in the areas where we're starting to see a rise. And those counties where I talked about, we're starting to see a rise. So we have to communicate that to people so they can make the right decision and that is to be careful," DeWine said.

Hopefully we can see some improvement in Cincinnati and Dayton over the next few weeks!

1 hour ago, MoreFogPlease said:

I don't think anybody is wearing a mask only as a virtue signaling device. People who are wearing masks are doing so either to keep themselves safe, or because they are required to. Maybe for some people it acts as a virtue signal, but why does it function as a virtue signal? Because it helps keep people safe. I don't think anyone is wearing masks because they want to promote safety, if they don't actually think that masks help keep people safe.

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

This is one of the most ridiculous takes I have seen on this thread.  

Not knowing how to wear a mask properly is a function of poor messaging and example setting from our leaders, hardly virtue signaling. I would also fault video media for not running more demonstrations on proper construction and use although print and digital have run many good articles.

Nobody likes wearing a mask, it isn’t fun.  

1 hour ago, chibul said:

What an absurd take. It's not about "virtue signaling", it's about complying with the recommendations from the CDC, the WHO, and literally every infectious disease expert. 

Good lord. 

I enjoy that not one of you approached the point that I made. When you feel it necessary to have your facebook profile picture be you in a mask, you are doing it for credit. It's the social media craze. Do what everyone else does. Wear what everyone else wears. Buy what everyone else buys. It's all about an image. When you go out in public, wear your mask. You don't need every other post on your social media to be about people that don't. You don't need to put pictures of yourself all over the internet wearing your mask. Just wear the thing. When you see someone not wearing one, walk past them, say nothing, go on about your life. The one thing that the pandemic has done, is that it's turned people against each other. People feel like its on them to force other people to do that right thing. Ya know, virtue signaling. But yeah, my opinion is ridiculous, and absurd.