Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

17 hours ago, chibul said:

For me as a visitor to Kings Island, no, it isn't. I'd rather feel somewhat safe in knowing I won't catch it at all, rather than "oh I might catch it and also may or may not be hospitalized."

To determine how impactful the disease is - yes, you're right. But I don't think people are looking at hospitalizations to determine if they're going to go to KI, nor should they.

That's your opinion. You are entitled to that.

I think it's very relevant. Hospitalizations are determining the severity of it. You have a large part of population that is either asymptomatic or very mild symptoms. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_4#:~:text=For COVID-19%2C,infections%2C requiring ventilation.

7 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

But yeah, my opinion is ridiculous, and absurd. 

Glad we agree.

People can post social media pictures of themselves wearing masks to encourage others to do it too, because it promotes public safety, not just because it's the trendy thing to do.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I enjoy that not one of you approached the point that I made. When you feel it necessary to have your facebook profile picture be you in a mask, you are doing it for credit. It's the social media craze. Do what everyone else does. Wear what everyone else wears. Buy what everyone else buys. It's all about an image. When you go out in public, wear your mask. You don't need every other post on your social media to be about people that don't. You don't need to put pictures of yourself all over the internet wearing your mask. Just wear the thing. When you see someone not wearing one, walk past them, say nothing, go on about your life. The one thing that the pandemic has done, is that it's turned people against each other. People feel like its on them to force other people to do that right thing. Ya know, virtue signaling. But yeah, my opinion is ridiculous, and absurd. 

It is, though. Sure, people don't *need* to put a photo of themselves on social media - but who cares if they do? At least they're wearing one. 

5 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

That's your opinion. You are entitled to that.

I think it's very relevant. Hospitalizations are determining the severity of it. You have a large part of population that is either asymptomatic or very mild symptoms. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_4#:~:text=For COVID-19%2C,infections%2C requiring ventilation.

Right, I'm not disputing that at all. I'm stating that the rate of hospitalization ultimately doesn't determine whether or not you're less or more likely to actually contract the disease yourself. 

I think we're on the same page and may not necessarily realize it. :lol:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MoreFogPlease said:

Glad we agree.

People can post social media pictures of themselves wearing masks to encourage others to do it too, because it promotes public safety, not just because it's the trendy thing to do.

Still picking the points you want to respond to I see. 

6 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Still picking the points you want to respond to I see. 

Your whole point is that most people only wear masks for virtue signaling. I'm saying that's not the case. Not sure what other point you want me to respond to? Is there some kind of rule that if I respond to a post, I need to address every sentence individually from the post I'm responding to?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MoreFogPlease said:

Your whole point is that most people only wear masks for virtue signaling. I'm saying that's not the case. Not sure what other point you want me to respond to? Is there some kind of rule that if I respond to a post, I need to address every sentence individually from the post I'm responding to?

Apparently so.

24 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I enjoy that not one of you approached the point that I made. When you feel it necessary to have your facebook profile picture be you in a mask, you are doing it for credit. Facebook is not necessary nor is a profile picture.  People use them becuase they want to. It's the social media craze. Do what everyone else does. Wear what everyone else wears. Buy what everyone else buys. It's all about an image. No it is about public health. Yours is a very cynical take. When you go out in public, wear your mask.  So we agree? You don't need every other post on your social media to be about people that don't. Not about needs. You don't need to put pictures of yourself all over the internet wearing your mask. Same. Just wear the thing. Glad we agree. When you see someone not wearing one, walk past them, say nothing, go on about your life.By not wearing a mask one is endangering public health.  Saying nothing is further endangering public health.    The one thing that the pandemic has done, is that it's turned people against each other. The culture wars were in full swing way before the pandemic. People feel like its on them to force other people to do that right thing. How exactly is having a profile picture, saying something or posting about the scientific benefits of wearing a mask forcing anyone? . Ya know, virtue signaling. That may be your definition of the term, but as you admit it is new to you.  It has been around a long time and is now used by most to be derogatory.   But yeah, my opinion is ridiculous, and absurd. Yep:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

You do realize you're furthering my point about people feeling it necessary to talk down to, and treat people poorly over the whole thing right? 

Not talking down to you or treating you poorly.  This is not about you personally, it is about your cynical views.  

Sigh.  The face coverings are not protecting you, unless it is a N95 rated mask, you have been fit tested, and it is changed frequently.  KN95 masks are not the same thing as an N95 mask.  You cannot have a large amount of facial hair and wear an N95 mask.  The whole idea of this mask is a tight seal.  Heat, humidity, and sunlight can degrade these masks, which for protection FROM others, require frequent changes. N95 masks should be reserved for people who are in close contact with active patients in a clinical setting.  Not for personal enjoyment at Kings Island.  Not to mention how miserable that would be.

Cloth masks, surgical masks, standard masks, gaiters etc. serve a purpose to prevent large amounts of saliva and sputum from leaving your immediate area.  The theory is that combined with social distancing, the chance of transmission is reduced.  However, when a wearer doesn't know how to wear a mask properly, or the mask is ill fitted, the wearer is potentially causing more harm than good.  Go to Instagram and look at the story.  The guy behind the camera was constantly touching the mask, specifically in the area around the nose and mouth.  If he has the virus, that area would be rich with particulates.  Whatever he touches (lap bars, doors, all the things we touch in a park)

This video, while in the context of a clinical setting contains the transferrable concept:

Also important to note is hand hygiene.  Soap and water is the preferred method, because not only does it clean the hands, but the friction serves to remove particulates when completed properly.  Soap and water hand hygiene requires a specific sequence and time (usually singing happy birthday slowly x3) and sanitizer hand hygiene required a specific sequence and the hands must be rubbed until the sanitizer is dry.  This is quicker with the foam types, but with the liquid types, which are more common now, it is often a long time to complete.

The following video shows soap and water hand hygiene:

This link shows how to do sanitizer:

Just to note: In clinical settings, HC workers are found to not do proper hand hygiene frequently and they have been trained.  Now think of non HC workers who have not been trained.  Do you think they are transmitting the virus (if positive) as well as other things?

Finally, this is an interesting video that shows how improper use of PPE gives a false sense of security:

Enjoy!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

You do realize you're furthering my point about people feeling it necessary to talk down to, and treat people poorly over the whole thing right? 

7 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

they think they are saving the world by doing something incorrectly, including but not limited to, telling people that aren't wearing a mask that they are wrong for doing so, all the while, spreading around about the same amount of the germs that they're convinced the non mask wearing public are. 

"Do as I say, not as I do"

• Like 1

I'm on the fence for the whole virtue signaling issue.  I am required to wear a mask for 13 hours when I am working.  But I have friends and family (some in healthcare) that insist on wearing a mask when driving alone, walking outside etc.  I asked them why--they said to be an example.  These are the same folks who are doing to on social media platforms.

It could be even said that my post earlier about following scriptural guidelines to consider others as better than yourself could be construed.

I just dont know.  But if KI asks me to as a condition of entry, I will just because that is the correct thing to do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chibul said:

Sigh. All of your information is outdated by about 3 months.

Masks are difference makers, even when it's cloth masks. It's literally proven at this point.

Specifically, what is outdated?

I would also trust decades of evidence based practice over 3 months of guidelines that change almost weekly.  

N95 masks and their purpose have not changed.  Surgical masks, standard masks have not changed.  Virus and other particulates have not changed.  

Masks can contain large amounts of sputum and saliva, so wearing them can make a difference.  But if they are not worn properly, hand hygiene is lax and social distancing is not in place, it is a moot point.  Did you look at the OVC IG story from HW I posted?  You should see exactly what I am talking about.

37 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Specifically, what is outdated?

I would also trust decades of evidence based practice over 3 months of guidelines that change almost weekly.  

N95 masks and their purpose have not changed.  Surgical masks, standard masks have not changed.  Virus and other particulates have not changed.  

Masks can contain large amounts of sputum and saliva, so wearing them can make a difference.  But if they are not worn properly, hand hygiene is lax and social distancing is not in place, it is a moot point.  Did you look at the OVC IG story from HW I posted?  You should see exactly what I am talking about.

So we should just not bother at all because of the actions of others?

Even if 50% of people are properly wearing a mask, I'll take that over 0%.

Facemasks are only part of the strategy, but they are important in situations where ideal social distancing is not practical. Even with all the precautions that Cedar Fair is taking, places that attract large crowds present an enhanced risk that requires a layered safety approach. Masks are a proven strategy for reducing transmission in public spaces.

It shouldn't be controversial to wear a mask in situations where health officials recommend doing so, but that's the world we're in today.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, malem said:

It shouldn't be controversial to wear a mask in situations where health officials recommend doing so, but that's the world we're in today.

And yet, some will claim such logic is "virtue signaling." 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chibul said:

So we should just not bother at all because of the actions of others?

Even if 50% of people are properly wearing a mask, I'll take that over 0%.

If you are wearing your mask correctly, then yes!  If you choose not to wear a mask, then don't go to Kings Island.  Never did I say to not wear a mask, I said to wear it effectively.  In the case of the OVC guy, he was not.  HW does not require masks  and in his case, I believe it would have been better for him not to wear it.  If you could see how many times he touched the mask around his mouth and nose you would get what I am saying.  If he were a carrier of the virus, he would have potentially spread it more with all that than not wearing it all.  

Each person is responsible for their own actions.  So if you are going to do, do it right or dont go.

You never answered my questions about what is out of date, and did you look at the IG story.  

If not, that's cool, you do you.  But it is very important to know how important the proper use of a face covering/mask is.  If you end up going to the park, I hope you have fun, wear your face covering well, practice social distancing and pay particular attention to hand hygiene.  Those things are what are going to help squash this. 

Not touching your mask, wearing it on your ear, chin, below your nose etc.  (the word "you" in the previous sentence is a general term for the population, not you specifically, nor is it used in a pejorative context.)

30 minutes ago, Joshua said:

And yet, some will claim such logic is "virtue signaling." 

I don't think it can be generalized.  It happens, yes.  But in other contexts, it doesn't.  When someone says they are doing to "teach others and be an example" it probably is virtue signaling.  Virtue signaling is not always a bad thing.  It can also be called modeling exemplary behavior.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

If you are wearing your mask correctly, then yes!  If you choose not to wear a mask, then don't go to Kings Island.  Never did I say to not wear a mask, I said to wear it effectively.  In the case of the OVC guy, he was not.  HW does not require masks  and in his case, I believe it would have been better for him not to wear it.  If you could see how many times he touched the mask around his mouth and nose you would get what I am saying.  If he were a carrier of the virus, he would have potentially spread it more with all that than not wearing it all.  

Each person is responsible for their own actions.  So if you are going to do, do it right or dont go.

You never answered my questions about what is out of date, and did you look at the IG story.  

If not, that's cool, you do you.  But it is very important to know how important the proper use of a face covering/mask is.  If you end up going to the park, I hope you have fun, wear your face covering well, practice social distancing and pay particular attention to hand hygiene.  Those things are what are going to help squash this. 

Not touching your mask, wearing it on your ear, chin, below your nose etc.  (the word "you" in the previous sentence is a general term for the population, not you specifically, nor is it used in a pejorative context.)

I'm well aware of how to wear a mask. I've worn one in public every day for the last 3+ months.

But being completely realistic? I'd say at best half of the people that attend will wear it correctly.

@BeeastFarmer Question on touching the mask.  In reality masks are going to get touched, they slip down/up whatever, they need to be removed/moved for each sip of beverage, you get that really bad nose itch, etc.  So in the real world (outside a clinical situation) what is one to do?  Logically the way I see it is you need to consider your hands at that point contaminated and wash them or at minimum use sanitizer.  Would this be correct, in the setting of a park, or should one do something different?  

59 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

@BeeastFarmer Question on touching the mask.  In reality masks are going to get touched, they slip down/up whatever, they need to be removed/moved for each sip of beverage, you get that really bad nose itch, etc.  So in the real world (outside a clinical situation) what is one to do?  Logically the way I see it is you need to consider your hands at that point contaminated and wash them or at minimum use sanitizer.  Would this be correct, in the setting of a park, or should one do something different?  

If you are wearing an ear strap mask, remove the strap from one ear, hang the mask from the other ear, scratch your nose, sip your drink, etc. As far as adjusting the mask, well, you're not wrong, you have to move it from time to time, so if you have to touch the front of your mask, wash or sanitize your hands after. If at all possible, first make attempts at adjustments by using the ear straps, because that's the safest place to grab at your mask as far as transmission goes. 

If you're not wearing the surgical or cloth kind, and are wearing a neck gaiter (which is my go to, because of ease of use, and overall stability), it's a lot easier to adjust, or drop and raise the mask by touching no where near the nose/ mouth area of the mask. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

If you are wearing an ear strap mask, remove the strap from one ear, hang the mask from the other ear, scratch your nose, sip your drink, etc. As far as adjusting the mask, well, you're not wrong, you have to move it from time to time, so if you have to touch the front of your mask, wash or sanitize your hands after. If at all possible, first make attempts at adjustments by using the ear straps, because that's the safest place to grab at your mask as far as transmission goes. 

If you're not wearing the surgical or cloth kind, and are wearing a neck gaiter (which is my go to, because of ease of use, and overall stability), it's a lot easier to adjust, or drop and raise the mask by touching no where near the nose/ mouth area of the mask. 

We have been using buffs at SDC.  Can't even tell they were on.

1 hour ago, chibul said:

I'm well aware of how to wear a mask. I've worn one in public every day for the last 3+ months.

But being completely realistic? I'd say at best half of the people that attend will wear it correctly.

As I said in my post, the word "you" was not aimed at you particularly but in a plural sense for the general population.

I'd tend to disagree with you on the percentage of the population, based purely on my anecdotal observations.  Have you been to Kroger, Lowes or Walmart lately?  Have you watched the news?  You place a lot of faith in people, I don't.

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Ideally, you would perform proper hand hygiene before touching your face or mask.  Ideally, you would doff your mask, dispose of it, perform hand hygiene, put a new mask on and continue on.  

What I see happening though, is people not performing hand hygiene, taking the mask off, placing it on the table or bench, seeing it blow on the ground with the wind, picking it up and replacing it without performing hand hygiene.

And probably getting mad when an associate or rabid anti-masker signals a virtue about the policy. ;)

• Haha 1

So I just got back from my Dollywood trip. You do to have a park reservation which comes with a new ticket or a season pass you have to register online. They do screen you out in the parking lot before you can come in and they give you a wristband. Had no problems with face mask on rides. Every other row was open and you got hand sanitizer before you could get on. On the rides they ask you to wear a mask. Now on the train they made everyone wear a mask or covering. Employees where going around Handing mask out if they saw someone walk around without one. Had a really great time. 

• Like 2