Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

2 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

Here's a graph on hospital admissions in Indiana. Basically half of all Covid deaths in Indiana have been in nursing homes. Hospital admissions continue to decrease. The graph above suggesting White County, IN is somehow a "hotspot" is ridiculous. Anyone under 50---without major complications---at Indiana Beach is going to be just fine. Even if they do get it. Just don't go visit grandma after. Be smart.

indiana.PNG

To put it in perspective, here is White County against Orange County.543EB0FC-EA86-4C86-9188-52A7171C9A67.png
Those 2 against Miami-DadeBEFB7447-DBB4-4CB4-B7EA-80C078C068AD.png

In short whether you want to believe it or not, there is a huge number of cases in White County in regards to the number of positive cases in relation to the total population. It is highly certain that a number of White County citizens attended yesterday’s party.

There was an outbreak at 2 meat-packing plants in early May up around there---almost 8 weeks ago. That's why the numbers are skewed. And besides, those at IB are outside. There's been thousands in the streets lately, and we have been told none of it has caused a big outbreak. Again...outside. Here in Tippecanoe County we had 24 new cases yesterday. That was a pretty big spike for us. Then we learned all 24---every single one---was in ONE nursing home. One nursing home that has seen 50 cases in residents, and 12 employees. Over 10% of all cases in the county are tied to that one facility. It's awful what is happening in those places, but I think it's important to acknowledge the relative safety of being outside. It's not 100% safe---nothing ever is---but better than being around anyone inside.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

There was an outbreak at 2 meat-packing plants in early May up around there---almost 8 weeks ago. That's why the numbers are skewed. And besides, those at IB are outside. There's been thousands in the streets lately, and we have been told none of it has caused a big outbreak. Again...outside. Here in Tippecanoe County we had 24 new cases yesterday. That was a pretty big spike for us. Then we learned all 24---every single one---was in ONE nursing home. One nursing home that has seen 50 cases in residents, and 12 employees. Over 10% of all cases in the county are tied to that one facility. It's awful what is happening in those places, but I think it's important to acknowledge the relative safety of being outside. It's not 100% safe---nothing ever is---but better than being around anyone inside.

We’ve had numerous cases where large groups of people outdoors have not social distanced and got COVID-19.

So speaking from experience from being at IB yesterday. 

95% of the people there were not concerned about there being a pandemic going on. 

As much as I don't want to have to wear a mask., we had ours on all day except to eat and at the water park.  Yes it was hot and got sweaty. All in all though, the benefits outweighed the inconvenience of wearing it, especially since it was not required and most did not have them on. 

Speaking of masks, not once on a coaster did I feel my mask was coming off. I just had a mask with around the ear elastic band. No issues at all. At the end of the day please protect everyone. Just wear the mask, Is Is a small thing to do to protect yourself and others.

Here are KIC members being represented for the local newspaper up by IB on Steel Hawg. As you can see, @malem, @acole5292, and myself all were wearing our masks on an inverted coaster with lots of hang time with no issues.

Screenshot_20200627-081138.png

Story: https://www.jconline.com/picture-gallery/news/2020/06/26/indiana-beach-reopens-under-new-ownership/3265877001/#slide:3266755001

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

So speaking from experience from being at IB yesterday. 

95% of the people there were not concerned about there being a pandemic going on. 

As much as I don't want to have to wear a mask., we had ours on all day except to eat and at the water park.  Yes it was hot and got sweaty. All in all though, the benefits outweighed the inconvenience of wearing it, especially since it was not required and most did not have them on. 

Speaking of masks, not once on a coaster did I feel my mask was coming off. I just had a mask with around the ear elastic band. No issues at all. At the end of the day please protect everyone. Just wear the mask, Is Is a small thing to do to protect yourself and others.

Here are KIC members being represented for the local newspaper up by IB on Steel Hawg. As you can see, @malem, @acole5292, and myself all were wearing our masks on an inverted coaster with lots of hang time with no issues.

Screenshot_20200627-081138.png

Story: https://www.jconline.com/picture-gallery/news/2020/06/26/indiana-beach-reopens-under-new-ownership/3265877001/#slide:3266755001

I don't see how some still say they'll fly off but are there any issues with screaming with them on? Like being pushed in your mouth a bit or chin pulling them off the nose at all? We'll have the neck gaiter style since those were easiest to alter for fit.

20 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Closing the Indiana border would seem a higher priority right now.  :ph34r:

Lol what? That's ridiculous. Our numbers are way better than Ohio's overall. We're one of only 6 states with decreasing numbers from the prior week.

5 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

We’ve had numerous cases where large groups of people outdoors have not social distanced and got COVID-19.

Can you provide evidence of this? Pretty much all the experts now are stating the relative safety of outdoors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, chibul said:

Lol what? That's ridiculous. Our numbers are way better than Ohio's overall. We're one of only 6 states with decreasing numbers from the prior week.

Whoosh:D

(Unless we hired former East German engineers it wouldn’t even be possible. Our newly minted Wall is easily thwarted with a $100 saw from Lowe’s.)

2 hours ago, chibul said:

I don't know about WAY better than Ohio's..

Ohio total covid cases - 48,638, deaths 2,788

Indiana total covid cases - 45,269, deaths 2,595

Yea, based on that Indiana "looks" better, but not WAY better...and doesn't tell the full story.

Now look at is based on population - Ohio is 11.7 million compared to Indiana at 6.7 million.

Ohio has 5 million more persons than Indiana, yet there is less than a 200 person difference in deaths...which state has it worse...

Let's see if Indiana is decreasing or increasing in a couple weeks...

And some here may claim well Indiana has more older people, but the breakdown by age per state is comparable:

Ohio deaths due to covid:

image.png

Indiana deaths due to covid:

image.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PatchesC said:

I don't see how some still say they'll fly off but are there any issues with screaming with them on? Like being pushed in your mouth a bit or chin pulling them off the nose at all? We'll have the neck gaiter style since those were easiest to alter for fit.

We didn't try screaming, but wearing them on the coasters wasn't an issue at all with the masks we wore. @IndyGuy4KI and I had simple cloth masks, while @acole5292 had a disposable paper mask. I'll experiment with some other masks this week at Kings Island.

Just as enthusiasts have figured out cargo shorts, I'm sure we'll master pandemic facemasks.

19 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Photos from Coaster Studios.

3A466FCC-A4D3-4FC5-B3AD-9374A0E24137.jpeg

539AA698-2D10-4489-92D0-AF39DE15C7B6.png

It was frustrating that many weren't taking social distancing seriously. We tried to keep our distance from others throughout the day, aided by the mostly light crowds.

Cornball had some rows closed off for social distancing, at least when we rode.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, malem said:

We didn't try screaming, but wearing them on the coasters wasn't an issue at all with the masks we wore. @IndyGuy4KI and I had simple cloth masks, while @acole5292 had a disposable paper mask. I'll experiment with some other masks this week at Kings Island.

Just as enthusiasts have figured out cargo shorts, I'm sure we'll master pandemic facemasks.

It was frustrating that many weren't taking social distancing seriously. We tried to keep our distance from others throughout the day, aided by the mostly light crowds.

Cornball had some rows closed off for social distancing, at least when we rode.

I'm packing a surgical mask and neck gaiter with ear loops for Orion event. Figure see how it goes with either of them. The kid is a screamer/woo-hoo type so it'll be interesting to see how it goes lol

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Yea, based on that Indiana "looks" better, but not WAY better...and doesn't tell the full story.

Now look at is based on population - Ohio is 11.7 million compared to Indiana at 6.7 million.

Ohio has 5 million more persons than Indiana, yet there is less than a 200 person difference in deaths...which state has it worse...

And some here may claim well Indiana has more older people, but the breakdown by age per state is comparable:

image.png

image.png

Comparing the deaths in nursing homes Ohio is at almost 70%, whereas Indiana is at 47%. Both are doing horribly for those sectors.

12 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Unfortunately this is behind a paywall and thus can't be read. That being said...

- this is one example, you stated there were "numerous". 

- every article I've read about this incident never stated that it was an outdoor pool party. Could've easily been at an indoor pool (hotel, etc)

- I think a pool party isn't really indicative of a standard outdoor event, truthfully. 

11 hours ago, disco2000 said:

image.png

image.png

Sure, if you look at overall numbers, that's the case. Look at numbers over the last two weeks - Indiana is trending downward, Ohio is trending upward.

11 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

3F032D7B-0D9A-424C-9688-C9DC83E1A9E9.png

Data suggests otherwise.

Then you should look at more data, because what I stated is fact. Indiana's positive test percentage has dropped every day for two weeks. We had 4 days this past week of less than 350 positives. Currently down to a 9.6% positive test ratio. Ohio is elevating, with over 900 cases a day recently - Indiana has barely had half of that. 

Not intending to turn this into an "Ohio vs Indiana" debate but to suggest that Ohio is somehow, at this point in the pandemic, showing better numbers is just a falsehood.

4 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

92432BBD-0E8F-417B-86BF-D7019A3B5B13.png

68D4F39F-75CB-493F-8E17-D4EFA3CFB5C1.png

Science would dispute that claim. Both are trending upward.

Okay. May want to get some better science sources, then, because this data isn't accurate, and doesn't reflect the daily totals.

Editing to clarify that the graph believe is accurate as of Friday's data - today was a lower number than Friday.

FB_IMG_1593314053713.jpg

Edited by chibul
Clarification

On 6/26/2020 at 5:50 PM, PatchesC said:

First it was a "maybe they are just working on how to operate and working out the kinks" but after this pic from CoasterForce I doubt they are even interested in protecting their employees. 

Screenshot_20200626-174413_Chrome.jpg

We are boycotting all Indiana parks this year.  Told Holiday World on social media that they are the only "major" park requiring masks.  Lets just say they were not very professional.

Went to Branson and Gatlinburg/pigeon forge recently and there was ZERO social distancing and wall to wall people.  Safest place was the parks since they were requiring masks, but people were pulling their mask/face coverings off any chance they got.

• Like 2

After being at Indiana Beach for 2 days in a row, I can tell you 95% of people are not taking it serious any longer. 

I am glad Cedar Fair is requiring masks. Yes they are a pain, they're sweaty, and itch your face. Respectively, wearing them two days in a row to be on coasters is a small price to pay to keep myself and people around me safe. 

Oh, and for the people who did have them on I never saw one person lose them on a coaster.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, coaster sally said:

We are boycotting all Indiana parks this year.  Told Holiday World on social media that they are the only "major" park requiring masks.  Lets just say they were not very professional.

Went to Branson and Gatlinburg/pigeon forge recently and there was ZERO social distancing and wall to wall people.  Safest place was the parks since they were requiring masks, but people were pulling their mask/face coverings off any chance they got.

That is tailt from coaster studios. I watch his videos all time and he is really kewl I hope I can meet him and get signing.  I will wear maks Eve if he dont. I want to be like him and ride a bunch of coaster

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

After being at Indiana Beach for 2 days in a row, I can tell you 95% of people are not taking it serious any longer. 

I am glad Cedar Fair is requiring masks. Yes they are a pain, they're sweaty, and itch your face. Respectively, wearing them two days in a row to be on coasters is a small price to pay to keep myself and people around me safe. 

Oh, and for the people who did have them on I never saw one person lose them on a coaster.

Have you been able to get clarification from the park as to what will constitute an acceptable face covering?

I've been planning on wearing neck gaiters but can't find any info from the park.

18 minutes ago, Rallyomalley said:

Have you been able to get clarification from the park as to what will constitute an acceptable face covering?

I've been planning on wearing neck gaiters but can't find any info from the park.

I don't think they are going to be too picky on face coverings. As long as it covers both your nose and mouth, I think you're good! 

Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't think they are going to be too picky on face coverings. As long as it covers both your nose and mouth, I think you're good! 

Thanks!  I've tried calling the parks info center but it's closed, and have gotten no responses to the emails I sent either.

53 minutes ago, Rallyomalley said:

The park just loosened their mask policy on employees to include neck gaiters and other masks of a solid color, so you should be good.

1 hour ago, Rallyomalley said:

I was told by the park it is a face covering. You should be good to go.