Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

I had an idea, I bought a set of 6 mask from sams club they are comfy ish but I felt like couldn’t breathe well. It has 3 layers, I just cut out 2 of the layers and now it has a cotton layer left

super comfortable and not hot anymore. If people are too hot they could do this. Just an idea 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FreedomPenguin said:

I had an idea, I bought a set of 6 mask from sams club they are comfy ish but I felt like couldn’t breathe well. It has 3 layers, I just cut out 2 of the layers and now it has a cotton layer left

super comfortable and not hot anymore. If people are too hot they could do this. Just an idea 

True, but it also renders the mask completely pointless and ineffective at protecting from COVID-19.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, FreedomPenguin said:

Wear a mask you're comfortable in. The only requirement is to have one on. I have a simple cotton washable mask. Works for me. I also bought one of those gaiters this weekend that folks here have mentioned. It's a lot more breathable than my cotton mask. I suppose if it's easier to breath = less Covid protection, but it's better than needing the KI medics to attend to you when you pass out on the Midway.

Masks are to protect others, not you.  Alternately, an N95 will help to protect the wearer, but you have to be fit tested, wear the correct style of N95 and not have facial hair.  Or wear a PAPR, but I dont think they would they would let you on a ride with it on ;)

Please wear your masks properly, meaning, cover your mouth and nose with it!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

The mask still covers my face and nose. Just less layers.

no different than a single cloth people are wearing over their nose and mouth 

The extra layers are more of a filter for the virus, by removing more layers, you're making it easier to expel droplets into the air. Think of it as putting 2 wire meshes on top of each other slightly offset, it's a lot better at filtering things out than just 1 would be

2 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

Wear a mask you're comfortable in. The only requirement is to have one on. I have a simple cotton washable mask. Works for me. I also bought one of those gaiters this weekend that folks here have mentioned. It's a lot more breathable than my cotton mask. I suppose if it's easier to breath = less Covid protection, but it's better than needing the KI medics to attend to you when you pass out on the Midway.

I’d suggest that if you’re prone to passing out in a simple mask, then perhaps you shouldn’t be at an amusement park in summer temperatures.

• Like 3

I'm just tossing this out there as a precaution to folks vying for a ride on Orion on the 2nd...

I'm no numbers guru...  but bear with me as I just play with numbers out loud.

If they dispatch a train every 2 minutes, that's 30 trains per hour. 

If they limit it to, say, 12 people on each train, that's an hourly capacity of 360 people. (I have no idea how many they plan on allowing on each train, I just "supposed.")

If they let in 4,000 people before noon and 2/3 of them head to Orion...

Well, again, just be prepared for a long, long wait.  Take sunscreen, sanitizer and drink lots and lots of water my friends.

Just sayin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

I'm just tossing this out there as a precaution to folks vying for a ride on Orion on the 2nd...

If they limit it to, say, 12 people on each train, that's an hourly capacity of 360 people. (I have no idea how many they plan on allowing on each train, I just "supposed.")

Well, again, just be prepared for a long, long wait.  Take sunscreen, sanitizer and drink lots and lots of water my friends.

Just sayin.

My coworker keeps asking me to get a pass so we can go up and ride Orion at lunchtime, I think that'd be taking a half day, minimum.

I wonder if the first week since it is supposed to be pretty hot and humid they will provide free water every once in a while to those waiting in the huge line. I know on season pass preview for Mystic Timbers, they provided water to us at the entrance to the actual queue line after waiting in that extremely long extended queue.

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Just sayin.

Way back in mid-May I did an example as well LOL that I hoped was a way worse case situation that was developed taking into account what the expected measures may have been back at that point in time...glad your worse case is a little over double what mine was LOL.

But yeah, it will be extremely slow and I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the line off early well before 7pm...

IF they are able to not have to check the skipped rows every train because they are locked down, that would actually speed up the process compared to a slow day now when they would have to check each seat.  If they can skip those rows, they may be able to push slightly over 700 per hour through.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:46 PM, disco2000 said:

FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY TO MAKE A POINT!!!!

Capacity for Orion will now fall somewhere between 36 riders per hour and 1,400 riders per hour LOL.

Theoretical capacity is like 1,650 per hour.

Actual prior to Covid would probably be like 1,400 per hour.

Normally seats 32 riders per train.

3 trains.  8 rows.

44 dispatches an hour = 1,408 riders per hour. 

Now deal with Covid.

Do you allow families to ride together?  What about the solo enthusiast?

To maintain 6 feet separation probably really need to skip 2 rows.

So 3 rows of 4 each made up of families, so 12 per train as families of 4. 

3 people per train if only solo riders.

Gotta clean each train.  Drops dispatches to 12 trains per hour (5 minutes to unload, disinfect, reload)

Capacity will range from 36 to 144 riders per hour.  1,440 riders for the day instead of per hour LOL.

This was an attempt (hopefully an extreme attempt) to demonstrate and prepare folks for how much longer it will take to ride your favorite ride.  This should be a worse-case example if the park opens, but one could argue that this is the intent to comply with the current Order of social distancing (some members of the forum probably think this is accurate).  In practicality, just in dealing with all the new requirements, we will probably see riders per hour initially be about 30% of its capacity and raise up to about 50-60% as the employees get used to what they need to do as do the guests (hopefully), and higher capacities if requirements relax more.

These are the types of things the park needs to consider when deciding how best to meet these requirements. 

In addition to all the PPE and social distancing requirements, they have to also consider the riding habits of the guests. 

• Do they eliminate the solo rider as that takes up more space than dealing with a family of four? 
  • Do they have a designated solo row? 
  • Do they eliminate FastLane this year or significantly alter the opportunity for re-rides? 
  • Do they allow Take-two-Tuesday where you stay in your seat and ride the ride twice to minimize people going back around in line to ride again?
  • Will it be impractical to operate some rides or attractions - how do you maintain 6 foot separation in the Eiffel Tower Elevator?

One should go to the park not expecting ride marathons and a substantial increase in ride time waits. 

People come to this forum and complain about the slowness of opening day weekend and long food lines, etc. - well it will get a lot worse now as NOBODY at KI has had experience operating the park or rides or food like they will have to now. 

Hopefully it all goes smoothly, but it will be a different experience.  Expect there to be problems and issues.  If those things bother you, then wait a couple of weeks or month to let them figure it all out.

2 hours ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Also makes me think they may close that line fairly early each day.  

That would go against a long standing Cedar Fair policy of you get in the line 1 minute before close you get a ride. With that in mind I tried to ride Steel Vengeance in 2018 first and last thing of the day.

2 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

That would go against a long standing Cedar Fair policy of you get in the line 1 minute before close you get a ride. With that in mind I tried to ride Steel Vengeance in 2018 first and last thing of the day.

I know.  And this could screw people hoping to get in line late on July 4th for a night ride.  

5 hours ago, disco2000 said:

But yeah, it will be extremely slow and I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the line off early well before 7pm...

IF they are able to not have to check the skipped rows every train because they are locked down, that would actually speed up the process compared to a slow day now when they would have to check each seat.  If they can skip those rows, they may be able to push slightly over 700 per hour through.

I'm scheduled until midnight on Saturday, you should be good to get in line until 10pm or whenever the park closes. They're expecting to spend a few hours feeding guests through the line after close.

The trains won't have skipped rows as far as I know, but it is half capacity, It's actually quite the good solution IMO. The way the park is doing it on Orion allows for single riders to fairly easily fit on the train without messing things up. Restraints come up on each row regardless, so they need to be checked each time even if nobody is in the seat.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

I'm scheduled until midnight on Saturday, you should be good to get in line until 10pm or whenever the park closes. They're expecting to spend a few hours feeding guests through the line after close.

The trains won't have skipped rows as far as I know, but it is half capacity, It's actually quite the good solution IMO. The way the park is doing it on Orion allows for single riders to fairly easily fit on the train without messing things up. Restraints come up on each row regardless, so they need to be checked each time even if nobody is in the seat.

I kind of like the idea of staggered seating on Orion. That means that the capacity should be relatively close to 16 riders each cycle. On Diamondback, since there is already staggered seating, I could see it running at more than 50% capacity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I kind of like the idea of staggered seating on Orion. That means that the capacity should be relatively close to 16 riders each cycle. On Diamondback, since there is already staggered seating, I could see it running at more than 50% capacity.

Diamondback, mystic, and beast are row skipping, That photo you saw earlier is a good example of how its gonna work for Orion

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

Diamondback, mystic, and beast are row skipping, That photo you saw earlier is a good example of how its gonna work for Orion

That makes sense, and I get why the park wants to maximize capacity on Orion. Do you know if all these rides are going to be running at the highest possible capacity with all three trains or are they going to limit the amount of trains and possibly the amount of ride operators?

1 minute ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

That makes sense, and I get why the park wants to maximize capacity on Orion. Do you know if all these rides are going to be running at the highest possible capacity with all three trains or are they going to limit the amount of trains and possibly the amount of ride operators?

They were only running 2 trains today on most things (Orion wasn't open both to keep things leak free and for the first rider event). Likely just for capacity since the covid measures add a little bit of time to loading and unloading. Beast was running all 3 though. I don't have any knowledge of what the park is planning on doing, nor do I think I could say if I knew. I can only comment on what I saw happening at the park today.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FOFirehawkFAN said:

Is anyone afraid the day before they are supposed to open they're gonna call it all off?

Idk if they would when they've gotten this far in getting the park ready and is ready to open. They will only close if ordered to by the governor which probably wouldn't be the first thing the governor would close looking at other states. Plus KI and CP have a really good plan in place for safety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FOFirehawkFAN said:

Is anyone afraid the day before they are supposed to open they're gonna call it all off?

Every morning I wake up I expect the worst. I wouldn't put it past the governor to shut it all down before it all opens again. It would be just my luck. But I only have 4 days till my vacation starts so I hope anything that bad holds off for another 2 weeks. We need to just live our lives at this point. It's almost July. 

11 hours ago, FOFirehawkFAN said:

No.

8 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Every morning I wake up I expect the worst. I wouldn't put it past the governor to shut it all down before it all opens again. It would be just my luck. But I only have 4 days till my vacation starts so I hope anything that bad holds off for another 2 weeks. We need to just live our lives at this point. It's almost July. 

The pandemic doesn't care what month it is. 

• Like 1