Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

23 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Way back in mid-May I did an example as well LOL that I hoped was a way worse case situation that was developed taking into account what the expected measures may have been back at that point in time...glad your worse case is a little over double what mine was LOL.

But yeah, it will be extremely slow and I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the line off early well before 7pm...

IF they are able to not have to check the skipped rows every train because they are locked down, that would actually speed up the process compared to a slow day now when they would have to check each seat.  If they can skip those rows, they may be able to push slightly over 700 per hour through.

Duuuude you like to type don't you!!!! I just hope I get short line in daimonbdack!

14 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Every morning I wake up I expect the worst. I wouldn't put it past the governor to shut it all down before it all opens again. It would be just my luck. But I only have 4 days till my vacation starts so I hope anything that bad holds off for another 2 weeks. We need to just live our lives at this point. It's almost July. 

Dad said to think for the best and have postive look out on life! Don't be sad my dude be happy and just live King's island and smile!!!!!!

• Like 4

I’d be furious if they choose to close down theme parks again, I’ll wait and see how they handle reopening but from the looks of it KI is probably one of the safest businesses you can currently visit. They have several effective safety measures in place. Most businesses that have reopened won’t even require masks or are effective socially distanced.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Where’s that 99% coming from?

I'm curious too.  Just because 99% of people don't die doesn't mean it's "not a big deal".  There are plenty of people that are hospitalized, or just feel absolutely awful from it.  Some have lasting effects like permanent lung damage.  So to say it's "not a big deal" for 99% of the population is patently false.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

I’d be furious if they choose to close down theme parks again, I’ll wait and see how they handle reopening but from the looks of it KI is probably one of the safest businesses you can currently visit. They have several effective safety measures in place. Most businesses that have reopened won’t even require masks or are effective socially distanced.

This is honestly how I feel. We are EXTREMELY cautious and have not done many things since the pandemic started that we would normally do, but I feel relatively safe going to KI (although I'm still very, very concerned about the whole "everyone arriving at 10:30 and flooding the area by the gate" situation).

• Like 7

4 hours ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

Mhm, and if you get it and you're over 70, there's a good chance it's a death sentence.

Let's take a look at the numbers, shall we?  From the CDC:

Age 85+ group (numbers are similar across all groups age 45 and over, so I used the worst numbers to illustrate this):

• Number of COVID deaths in that group during the two highest weeks of the pandemic (April 18 and 25) - 10,477
  • Number of COVID deaths in that group during the last two weeks with full data (ending June 13) - 1,856

In that same age 85+ age group (again, numbers are similar across all groups age 45 and over):

• Percentage of deaths in that group attributable to COVID during the two highest weeks of the pandemic (April 18 and 25) - 22%
  • Percentage of deaths in that group attributable to COVID during the last two weeks with full data (ending June 13) - 5%

Again, from the CDC - in that same over 85+ age group, the odds of you being hospitalized right now with COVID is just a shade under 1 in 200.

So right now for the most susceptible group, there is an under 1% chance of being hospitalized with COVID and a 5% (and falling) chance of COVID being the cause of death (with over 90% of those deaths having other co-morbidities that contributed).  I'm not saying the risk is zero.  But to say that getting COVID is a death sentence if you're over age 70 - or age 85 - is misleading at best.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gad198 said:

So right now for the most susceptible group, there is an under 1% chance of being hospitalized with COVID and a 5% (and falling) chance of COVID being the cause of death (with over 90% of those deaths having other co-morbidities that contributed).  I'm not saying the risk is zero.  But to say that getting COVID is a death sentence if you're over age 70 - or age 85 - is misleading at best.   

Although the positive-case-count has dramatically risen here in the USA vs. Europe and elsewhere, our death-count-curve has declined much as the rest of Europe. It just keeps going down. Of course, that does not go along with the narrative some here want to push. It is not honest to spark fear about positive cases exploding without mentioning the rapidly declining death rate at the same time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

You’re just chock full of awful takes.

Are you here because you intend to go to Kings Island, and potentially expose yourself to Covid-19 in the process by being around other human beings, thereby threatening the lives of the 1% you care about so much? Or are you just trolling? Because I don't get it. If you're ALL ABOUT safety, do us all a favor and stay the hell away from the park.

• Like 2

The people spreading fear on this forum need to find a new place to post. The park is opening, and we're going. Hide, stay home, do something else besides posting on this forum. If you do not want to get Covid-19 your best bet is not to leave your house. We all know this. Otherwise, follow the park rules and just try to enjoy yourself without judging everyone who doesn't wear a mask that meets your personal certification. Nobody is going to protect you better than yourself. So protect yourself as you see fit.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dbackdreams said:

Guys just wear maks!  Dad told me to wear it when I mow and pull weeds and it not bad at all!!!!! Be happy and enjoy King's island because it been closed I can't ride Daimonbdack and we are happy but I am gonna miss the carnival!!!

He gets it and y’all should too. A few months ago we weren’t sure if Kings Islands would be open it all this year. Now we have an opportunity to enjoy the Park we all love again. Are masks fun? No. Nobody likes wearing them. But it’s a small ask for such a unique world situation right now. It has nothing to do with freedom. You are choosing to go to Kings Island. Kings Island is choosing to help make their employees safer. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bengalsguy23 said:

He get it and y’all should too. A few months ago we weren’t sure if Kings Islands would be open it all this year. Now we have an opportunity to enjoy the Park we all love again. Are masks fun? No. Nobody likes wearing them. But it’s a small ask for such a unique world situation right now. It has nothing to do with freedom. You are choosing to go to Kings Island. Kings Island is choosing to help make their employees safer. 

Amen to that!  People like to gripe and complain when it's pretty simple:  If you want to go to KI, follow their rules.  If you are afraid of contracting the virus at KI or other places, don't go!  If you think masks are an infringement of your rights, don't frequent businesses that require them.  If you support the rights of businesses to operate their business as they see fit, put that into practice!  Chill on both sides.  It could be much worse--Kings Dominion can only open with 1000 people and therefore they are closed.  We could be KD.  How much would that suck?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

Although the positive-case-count has dramatically risen here in the USA vs. Europe and elsewhere, our death-count-curve has declined much as the rest of Europe. It just keeps going down. Of course, that does not go along with the narrative some here want to push. It is not honest to spark fear about positive cases exploding without mentioning the rapidly declining death rate at the same time.

I mean in fairness, that's also pushing a narrative, because it's a known fact that hospitalizations and deaths are lagging indicators, and show up 3-4 weeks after the new cases start.

50 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

The people spreading fear on this forum need to find a new place to post. The park is opening, and we're going. Hide, stay home, do something else besides posting on this forum. If you do not want to get Covid-19 your best bet is not to leave your house. We all know this. Otherwise, follow the park rules and just try to enjoy yourself without judging everyone who doesn't wear a mask that meets your personal certification. Nobody is going to protect you better than yourself. So protect yourself as you see fit.

Not sure if this is directed at me, but I hope not. I'm going on Friday. I feel extremely confident in the rules that are set in place and feel they'll be very effective against transmission, other than the concern I've expressed regarding allowing 1700 people to show up 30 minutes before opening. That's not "spreading fear", that's raising a legitimate concern. Obviously we'll know what will happen soon enough, but I don't really think talking down to people by telling them to "hide and stay home" is the answer.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chibul said:

I mean in fairness, that's also pushing a narrative, because it's a known fact that hospitalizations and deaths are lagging indicators, and show up 3-4 weeks after the new cases start.

There's truth to that statement.  Having said that, please go to the following website and find a country where deaths have been declining for more than two weeks (US, UK, Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Spain, Italy, doesn't make a difference):

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Find one country where the mortality curve has started going down for more than two weeks and then later starting climbing back up.  You'll be hard pressed to find one country right now where that's the case.  Even individual states right now are seeing this same pattern.  For instance, see the state of Georgia (see "COVID Cases Over Time".  The graph there is for cases.  In the heading of that graph you'll see deaths.  When you click on that, what do you see compared to the number of cases?).

6 hours ago, bengalsguy23 said:

He gets it and y’all should too. A few months ago we weren’t sure if Kings Islands would be open it all this year. Now we have an opportunity to enjoy the Park we all love again. Are masks fun? No. Nobody likes wearing them. But it’s a small ask for such a unique world situation right now. It has nothing to do with freedom. You are choosing to go to Kings Island. Kings Island is choosing to help make their employees safer. 

Sorry. Anybody that refuses to wear a mask in public when it is impossible to socially distance 100% of the time is an incredibly selfish/heartless human being. As we are finding out, there are a lot of these people in America. I'm not remotely in the high risk category, but no way would I ever go out around large groups in public right now without wearing a mask and trying to keep my distance. It's not about you. Anybody could have this virus asymptomatic and be harming or killing other vulnerable Americans. Also, don't kid yourself. This virus KILLS many more people than just the feeble/elderly. It also does serious long term damage to many that do not succumb to it. I wish I could speak about how we got here as a country, but alas. I think anybody with sense can figure out who is a at fault.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, presto123 said:

Sorry. Anybody that refuses to wear a mask in public when it is impossible to socially distance 100% of the time is an incredibly selfish/heartless human being. As we are finding out, there are a lot of these people in America. I'm not remotely in the high risk category, but no way would I ever go out around large groups in public right now without wearing a mask and trying to keep my distance. It's not about you. Anybody could have this virus asymptomatic and be harming or killing other vulnerable Americans. Also, don't kid yourself. This virus KILLS many more people than just the feeble/elderly. It also does serious long term damage to many that do not succumb to it. I wish I could speak about how we got here as a country, but alas. I think anybody with sense can figure out who is a at fault.

We went to branson and Gatlinburg recently.  The only place we felt comfortable was at silver dollar city and Dollywood.  While it wasn't perfect, overall 95%+ wore masks correctly.  Outside the park no one wore masks or social distanced.  Gatlinburg was wall to wall people.  

I wear a mask in public but on the trip I refused to unless at a park.  My reasoning is if no one will protect me, I won't protect them.

Holiday World & Indiana Beach is crazy.  I will not attend those parks probably ever again based on their irresponsibility.  Even Waldamere and Kennywood is going to require masks.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gad198 said:

There's truth to that statement.  Having said that, please go to the following website and find a country where deaths have been declining for more than two weeks (US, UK, Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Spain, Italy, doesn't make a difference):

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Find one country where the mortality curve has started going down for more than two weeks and then later starting climbing back up.  You'll be hard pressed to find one country right now where that's the case.  Even individual states right now are seeing this same pattern.  For instance, see the state of Georgia (see "COVID Cases Over Time".  The graph there is for cases.  In the heading of that graph you'll see deaths.  When you click on that, what do you see compared to the number of cases?).

Problem there is, you're also not going to find a country where the cases reached a massive peak, dipped way back down, and then exploded even higher than before (as the US has done). It's just not a comparable situation, because nobody's mishandled this virus as bad as the US has.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

We went to branson and Gatlinburg recently.  The only place we felt comfortable was at silver dollar city and Dollywood.  While it wasn't perfect, overall 95%+ wore masks correctly.  Outside the park no one wore masks or social distanced.  Gatlinburg was wall to wall people.  

I wear a mask in public but on the trip I refused to unless at a park.  My reasoning is if no one will protect me, I won't protect them.

Holiday World & Indiana Beach is crazy.  I will not attend those parks probably ever again based on their irresponsibility.  Even Waldamere and Kennywood is going to require masks.  

It's frustrating, because we go to Gatlinburg every year together, and have since we met. But it looks like that won't be happening this year. This year's trip was scheduled for right when everything really started going south, and we canceled it on 24 hours notice. :(

You know if  this country thought more about others then all about me attitude we'd be doing better.  I find it baffling the many who'd rather pass on rhetoric of if you're scared yada yada... than listen to actual experts in the subject matter.  The cdc is made up of people who spent 10 plus years gaining their masters and doctorates in micro biology and infectious diseases to study and help fight these viruses.  their agenda? the health and well-being of this countries citizens and help keep them safe and informed as best they can. Oh my god how dare they /sarcasm ...

But sure your high school/ 4yr collage ass knows more than them.    It's not weak or an agenda to follow their recommendations and want to help your fellow man. It's not an infraction on your liberties or whatever other bull you're being fed.  It's a cloth mask. If more people would just wear them when out in public this would be going down much faster but here we are.

Interestingly yes I feel safer at the theme park then I do at the grocery store because at least one is enforcing the masks.  

I'm glad we were on the outside of town for the unofficial rod weekend in pigeon forge it was completely packed and yea not much mask wearing. During the week before We only visited anakeesta and most wore masks most stayed distant and it wasn't as crowded. We also only went to a couple museums that required masks and skipped those who weren't.  I'll vote with my money and give it to those who at least are trying to put others health and well being first.  Out doors and spaced out at the putt putt no we didn't wear them except when inside the building.  

if a piece of cloth over your mouth and nose is that terrible stay home but don't complain that it's not fair.  I'm sure there are dead people who'd gladly take your place if only they could so as not to have had to die alone in their hospital room.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

Are you here because you intend to go to Kings Island, and potentially expose yourself to Covid-19 in the process by being around other human beings, thereby threatening the lives of the 1% you care about so much? Or are you just trolling? Because I don't get it. If you're ALL ABOUT safety, do us all a favor and stay the hell away from the park.

Seems to me like everyone is forgetting there are people who will be at the park whose income depends on being at the park, the employees.  Wearing a mask help protect them as well.  I'm sure the pool of possible employees is down this year because of people who don't want to be exposed and are choosing to take a year off of working.  But wearing a mask is the least we can do to help out those who put themselves at risk just so we can enjoy the park.  Thank you employees!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, presto123 said:

Did you even read my post? I was telling people to wear masks.