Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

On 6/29/2020 at 5:40 PM, King Ding Dong said:

KI has been backing away from a lot of long standing traditions the past few seasons.  

This is not what I wanted to hear today.

Flu virus with 'pandemic potential' found in China
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53218704

Rest easy ---- the good news is that we know how to quell potential swine and avian flu virus outbreaks for some time now.   Its easier to remap existing flu vaccines to the new strains than developing a new vaccine for a coronavirus.  

(This lede would have been buried if not for the current Pandemic)

2 hours ago, Old_Bearcat said:

Rest easy ---- the good news is that we know how to quell potential swine and avian flu virus outbreaks for some time now.   Its easier to remap existing flu vaccines to the new strains than developing a new vaccine for a coronavirus.  

(This lede would have been buried if not for the current Pandemic)

But I thought coronavirus was just like the flu?!?!?!?!

For the declining deaths this is the reason why from what I have heard. Person A get the virus and passes it to person B. Person B immune system does "work" on the virus and then that person sheds that virus to person C. The virus person C gets is not as potent as the virus person B had. The more it spreads the less deadly it gets. 

6 minutes ago, Driver8rws said:

Anyone find WHERE in the app to do your "health screening report"?? 

This page just says "Within 24 hours of your visit, open the Kings Island mobile app and complete the Health Assessment Questionnaire. "...

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/welcoming-you-back/before-you-leave-home

If I open the app and go to the "Me" tab, and scroll down just a little bit, it shows the Health Screening.

6 minutes ago, Driver8rws said:

I do NOT see that in my app at all...??

Did you save a reservation into the app? I wouldn't think that would make a difference, but I guess it's possible that the Health Screening only shows up if there is a reservation saved.

Is your app updated? On my phone I show that an update was installed on June 23, if you have an older version maybe the Health Screening won't show up.

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

For the declining deaths this is the reason why from what I have heard. Person A get the virus and passes it to person B. Person B immune system does "work" on the virus and then that person sheds that virus to person C. The virus person C gets is not as potent as the virus person B had. The more it spreads the less deadly it gets. 

I'm not trying to be "that guy", but do you have a source for this? This doesn't really sound like a scientific theory, and more just some random guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I'm definitly in the train of viral load playing a big part which this would be a little like that.

Only because person B would potentially be able to limit the amount of virus being shed. But it's really not a reason for the numbers going down. That would have been going along all the time. I think the numbers are down because we are testing sooner and people are receiving much more effective treatment, if even only managing the disease.

13 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

1076 new cases in Ohio.

This is getting bad! I honestly think DeWine should make masks mandatory. I know this is controversial and nobody likes wearing masks, but I think it needs to be done if it can help us lower our cases. We have to do what it in the best interest of all Ohioans even if it means wearing a mask.

• Like 1

Indiana still holding steady - despite that, we're pausing reopening where it is other than some select outdoor activities. We were basically supposed to go to full reopening on July 4. Impressed with our leadership for having the courage to do this DESPITE our numbers being steady. 

3 minutes ago, chibul said:

Indiana still holding steady - despite that, we're pausing reopening where it is other than some select outdoor activities. We were basically supposed to go to full reopening on July 4. Impressed with our leadership for having the courage to do this DESPITE our numbers being steady. 

But still allowing the IMS to have 175k people in house for the Indy 500, as of today.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

But still allowing the IMS to have 175k people in house for the Indy 500, as of today.

Don't get me started. :lol: Extremely upset about that - I think if that ultimately does occur, we'll be the next hotspot.

I'm taking my trip to Kings Island, my trip to Cedar Point (just reserved a 2nd day) and I'm done for the year, most likely.

42 minutes ago, TheRickster said:

I'm definitly in the train of viral load playing a big part which this would be a little like that.

Only because person B would potentially be able to limit the amount of virus being shed. But it's really not a reason for the numbers going down. That would have been going along all the time. I think the numbers are down because we are testing sooner and people are receiving much more effective treatment, if even only managing the disease.

I listen a talk radio show. He interviewed a MD durning the show. 

There is currently about 36,000 active cases in Ohio and Ohio has a rough population of 11.69 million.  That means 0.3 percent of the population has test positive. I'm going to put my mask on and take my chances. Your chances of dying in a car crash on your way to the park is around 0.9 percent. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, flightoffear1996 said:

There is currently about 36,000 active cases in Ohio and Ohio has a rough population of 11.69 million.  That means 0.3 percent of the population has test positive. I'm going to put my mask on and take my chances. Your chances of dying in a car crash on your way to the park is around 0.9 percent. 

In fairness, that doesn't mean you have a 0.3% chance of catching it :lol:

But listen, I agree with you. With the mask policy and drastically reduced capacity KI is one of the safer activities there is right now. 

6 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Almost 1 out of 100 people die in car crashes on their way to the park??

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Where did you get that absurdly high 0.9% chance of dying in a car crash on the way to the park?  That means if there are 10,000 people at the park tomorrow, statistically, 90 should die in a car wreck on the way there.  Ha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just received a reply to my email to KI asking about Whitewater Canyon being open, and the person said it "hasn't been determined yet" if it will be.

I have a difficult time believing that they don't know if a ride will be open 17 hours before opening day. :lol:

• Haha 3

Hersheypark is following what Universal did and now requires a face shield to be worn if anyone can't wear a mask for medical reasons. Reports from today that some coasters like Great Bear and Candymonium are loading every row but only 1 party per row unless there are 2 single riders. Other coasters like Fahrenheit and the wooden coasters are loading every other row.

https://www.hersheypark.com/info/faqs.php?categories[]=21

"If you have a disability that prevents you from wearing a face covering, our alternative accommodation is to bring and wear a face shield during your visit. Please note that face shields are not permitted on certain attractions, and guests will have to switch to a face covering for those experiences."