Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 hours ago, chibul said:

Indiana still holding steady - despite that, we're pausing reopening where it is other than some select outdoor activities. We were basically supposed to go to full reopening on July 4. Impressed with our leadership for having the courage to do this DESPITE our numbers being steady. 

Wonder what that is going to do to Indiana Beach's plans then? They are not requiring reservations for July 4th and beyond due to the expectation that certain restrictions would be lifted on that day and they would be able to run at full capacity. I had to make a reservation for this coming Friday July 3rd but not the 4th.

14 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Wonder what that is going to do to Indiana Beach's plans then? They are not requiring reservations for July 4th and beyond due to the expectation that certain restrictions would be lifted on that day and they would be able to run at full capacity. I had to make a reservation for this coming Friday July 3rd but not the 4th.

Same for Holiday World. They pretty much have to stay at 50% capacity now.

Please let me know if there's a better topic/forum for this! 

It would be awesome if someone working at KI (that knew what was going to happen) could chime in!

I have first time slot tomorrow morning at KI (11am).  

1. Show up at 8-9am.  Park and walk up to front gate and be at the front of the line (that supposedly will be 6ft apart from each other stretched all the way out into the parking lot).  Is there a specific time they open the parking lot??   Also don't know if they'll "make" people stay in their cars (that's what the reservation says you are supposed to do) or let them line up at the front gate?? 

2. Show up at 10am (cause they won't let you line up anyway), wait in car till I see a line start forming at front gate and then head up??  

Here's all I can find about the procedure on their website:

Can I come to the park before my reservation time?

We encourage you to arrive at the time of your reservation and not prior to it. If you arrive prior to your reservation time, you may be asked to wait in your car to help maintain social distancing in the park entry plaza area.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Driver8rws said:

Please let me know if there's a better topic/forum for this! 

It would be awesome if someone working at KI (that knew what was going to happen) could chime in!

I have first time slot tomorrow morning at KI (11am).  

1. Show up at 8-9am.  Park and walk up to front gate and be at the front of the line (that supposedly will be 6ft apart from each other stretched all the way out into the parking lot).  Is there a specific time they open the patterning lot??   Also don't know if they'll "make" people stay in their cars (that's what the reservation says you are supposed to do) or let them line up at the front gate?? 

2. Show up at 10am (cause they won't let you line up anyway), wait in car till I see a line start forming at front gate and then head up??  

Here's all I can find about the procedure on their website:

Can I come to the park before my reservation time?

We encourage you to arrive at the time of your reservation and not prior to it. If you arrive prior to your reservation time, you may be asked to wait in your car to help maintain social distancing in the park entry plaza area.

I am sure that the "if you arrive early" means if you had a reservation time of 0130 and you arrive at 11.  Like you, I have no idea what to expect.  I have first slot as well.

I thought the parking lot did not open till 1030?

2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I don't know what the order is for amusement parks like Indiana Beach and Holiday World, but this was a direct quote from Governor Holcomb today, "“Stage, 4.5 means that our capacities for the most part will stay at the same level, stay at the place where they are today. But we will give the green light, the green flag to mostly outdoor activities,” said Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb."

IB and HW are certainly "mostly outdoor activities". 

54 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

The parking tolls and first reservation time on all days will be 10:30 AM. The park will begin operation at 11:00 AM.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/explore/calendar-and-hours 

Awesome find! 

Now, wonder how far they'll let cars line up out on the road?  LOL!   All the way back to I-71?   I remember the mad house of opening day for Banshee...  But should only be 1700 people tomorrow!! 

Funny that it says the first reservation time is 10:30 when my reservation specifically says 11am...  

Awesome find! 
Now, wonder how far they'll let cars line up out on the road?  LOL!   All the way back to I-71?   I remember the mad house of opening day for Banshee...  But should only be 1700 people tomorrow!! 
Funny that it says the first reservation time is 10:30 when my reservation specifically says 11am...  
I have 10:30 reservation for tomorrow. 10:30 was probably gone when you reserved.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

What a Family That Lost 5 to the Virus Wants You to Know

The family’s 73-year-old matriarch, three of her 11 children and her sister all died of Covid-19. Her survivors are focused on finding a remedy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/nyregion/coronavirus-fusco-family-nj.html

Not honestly really interested in a sob story. It’s unfortunate. But that’s the fate dealt to them. Can’t do anything about it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

There were both 10:30 and 11:00 reservation times.  If you got 11:00, you’ll have to wait until 11:00.

Yep, didn't realize that.  I looked ahead to the week of the 13th and there ARE 10:30 and 11:00 time slots...  like you said, this must have been gone when I reserved mine and I thought 11am was the first slot.  Dang...

BUT how can there be 10:30 reservations when it says right on the website that the parking toll booths won't open till 10:30? 

@PKIVortex (bump)

25 minutes ago, Driver8rws said:

Yep, didn't realize that.  I looked ahead to the week of the 13th and there ARE 10:30 and 11:00 time slots...  like you said, this must have been gone when I reserved mine and I thought 11am was the first slot.  Dang...

BUT how can there be 10:30 reservations when it says right on the website that the parking toll booths won't open till 10:30? 

@PKIVortex (bump)

I agree. I have a 10:30 timeslot on Friday and I'm dreading it. It sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially if it's true (as stated by a KI staff member on a Facebook group) that they will not let anyone inside the park at all until 11am.

9 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

This sounds like something right out of Idiocracy.  :huh:

• Like 1

City of Dayton Ohio passed a requirement that masks are needed in public starting tomorrow. 

Will DeWine make it a requirement in specific counties or the state of Ohio...stay tuned...

Mayor of Columbus now added a mask requirement.

City of Cincinnati considering a mask requirement.

From Press Conference:

DeWine leaving to local boards to decide how to proceed

Schools should strive to maintain 6 feet separation

Staff required to wear mask

Recommends 3rd grade and up students wear a mask but not mandatory

Edited by disco2000
Updating as press conference unfolds.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

City of Dayton Ohio passed a requirement that masks are needed in public starting tomorrow. 

Will DeWine make it a requirement in specific counties or the state of Ohio...stay tuned...

Mayor of Columbus now added a mask requirement.

City of Cincinnati considering a mask requirement.

From Press Conference:

DeWine leaving to local boards to decide how to proceed

Schools should strive to maintain 6 feet separation

Staff required to wear mask

Recommends 3rd grade and up students wear a mask but not mandatory

KI would be Warren County Ohio's mayor to decide correct? So until we're driving back home and making stops at gas stations it won't be an issue.

5 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

KI would be Warren County Ohio's mayor to decide correct? So until we're driving back home and making stops at gas stations it won't be an issue.

Counties in Ohio are ran by Commissioners, not mayors, and they do not have the legislative power to declare that.  Only Ohio cities and the Governor can do that. 

City of Mason Mayor could declare it, but that would only be within that boundary, not all of Warren County.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Counties in Ohio are ran by Commissioners, not mayors, and they do not have the legislative power to declare that.  Only Ohio cities and the Governor can do that. 

City of Mason Mayor could declare it, but that would only be within that boundary, not all of Warren County.

What about unincorporated areas?  

On 7/1/2020 at 2:48 PM, coaster sally said:

That should be in the "You Can't make this crap up" thread.

Holcomb said he has been in constant contact with IMS since March about this.  The place seats 500k, so spacing 175k out shouldn't be an issue.  The problem is that you have lots of folks that have sat together for years that will no longer be allowed to do so.  For example, a group of 8 could be sat 4 in Turn 1 and 4 in Turn 3, which may as well be at the entrance to Orion given how massive the place is.  The bigger issue is that the Indiana State Fair is hosting whats basically a 'best of' the fair for 6 weeks starting 7/31 featuring a full midway and food vendors.  When asked about it, Holcomb didn't seem all that pleased about it (given that the fair was canceled, due supposedly to food vendors pulling out in droves), but said he'd have an update about it next week.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Sometime very soon I expect both DeWine and Holcomb to mandate mask wearing.  Holcomb yesterday basically said to the people of the state that he wasn't going to ask again about wearing them.

14 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Ohio operates as a "home rule" state, which means only the State and Cities and Villages can create laws and take action for which the Ohio Revised Code does not specifically give authority.  Counties are not provided that same authority.

Unincorporated areas such as townships with a population of more than 15,000 residents can apply for limited home rule authority.  Many of the townships around major cities have implemented this.  Power is limited and they cannot do anything that conflicts with the general laws of the State.  Generally these are things more code related in absence of the County having a code for it - things like litter, fences, recycling programs, parking regulations, etc.

Whether an unincorporated area could implement a mandatory mask would be interesting.  They do have the ability to implement a curfew and regulate public gatherings, but that may be a stretch to say face masks in public falls under this category.  

I guess we have to wait for a township to try it and see what the courts say...

Governor DeWine revealed a county-by-county tracking system they are now using for Ohio today. 

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/public-health-advisory-system/

What is interesting is that in Texas today, the governor issued an order mandating masks must be worn in public for counties with more than 20 Covid cases. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/texas-issues-state-wide-order-requiring-face-coverings.html

I will cede to disco2000 who seems to know what he is talking about with regard to county laws in Ohio.  Maybe that is why it was not mandated that counties with a level 3 or level 4 rating require masks in public? 

^The governor has the authority to require a county to wear a face mask.

I think he has been so beat down and took so much grief when he first made masks mandatory and then rescinded the following day that he is afraid to go that route now. 

Maybe this new rating system will be his way to be able to justify masks in the future?  If not, I do not know what value his new tracking system has to try to slow the spread, other than to maybe help cities in deciding to make masks mandatory.  He mentioned the new system, but didn't mention any actions (or hint at any either) that would occur as communities moved into different levels.

After his explanation of the new rating system, I was expecting him to announce mandatory masks for Franklin County and maybe Hamilton County and he didn't.  A reporter asked him at what level would he make masks mandatory or would he consider shutting places down again and he didn't give a direct answer.

It appears he is putting too much confidence in variations of what he likes to say - "I am counting on Ohioans to do the right thing".  Unfortunately, until it is mandatory, putting together maps showing hotspots and making a recommendation that people wear masks will not put a mask on a large portion of the population.  Personally I have seen mask usage drop every time I am out in public.  I am sure most of you have witnessed the same thing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

^The governor has the authority to require a county to wear a face mask.

I think he has been so beat down and took so much grief when he first made masks mandatory and then rescinded the following day that he is afraid to go that route now.

DeWine needs to grow a pair.

Look, overall both he and Amy Acton have done a good job of trying to contain the virus, doing their best to find a happy medium in the face of some brutual and unfair attacks and criticism. But when he rescinded the mask order after one day because it, and I quote, "offended some Ohio residents" I was dumbfounded.

A pandemic that has killed thousands and has had a crippling effect on the economy and mental health doesn't care about anyone's feelings or their misconstrued interpretation of "freedom" or "tyranny". It's well past time for them to put on their big boy/girl pants and swap out their tin foil hats for a mask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, shadowscare said:

DeWine needs to grow a pair.

Look, overall both he and Amy Acton have done a good job of trying to contain the virus, doing their best to find a happy medium in the face of some brutual and unfair attacks and criticism. But when he rescinded the mask order after one day because it, and I quote, "offended some Ohio residents" I was dumbfounded.

A pandemic that has killed thousands and has had a crippling effect on the economy and mental health doesn't care about anyone's feelings or their misconstrued interpretation of "freedom" or "tyranny". It's well past time for them to put on their big boy/girl pants and swap out their tin foil hats for a mask.

I live in Marion County in Indiana. Starting July 9th we have a mask mandate here. I'm interested to see if that sticks or not. With seeing this, I'm afraid it wont. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2