Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

6 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I live in Marion County in Indiana. Starting July 9th we have a mask mandate here. I'm interested to see if that sticks or not. With seeing this, I'm afraid it wont. 

Delaware County, and I'm envious. Our county doesn't have the balls to do that withour Holcomb directing it.

29 minutes ago, chibul said:

Delaware County, and I'm envious. Our county doesn't have the balls to do that withour Holcomb directing it.

If they would have done it 3 months ago, we wouldn't be doing it in July, but ya know, muh rights.... Frankly, Holcomb needs to say statewide, but he's too scared to. His last address, he talked about it, and basically said, in not so many words, "I'm scared I won't get re-elected if I don't give in to the cry babies." Man, the pterodactyl screams heard round where I work yesterday when it was announced were deafening. I'm one of about 3 people working here that actually wears something. Mine is a neck gaiter, so it's not the top notch of protection, but way better than nothing, and super comfortable vs other forms. I have to wear it at the climbing gym, and it isn't a big deal to do it while I'm exercising, so, ya know, sitting at your desk isn't going to kill you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, shadowscare said:

I know this is more sad than funny, but I literally laughed out loud reading this!

I should probably add to this that I also have anxiety inducing claustrophobia and was very worried that a mask would end up triggering me going into a psycho spiral, so for the longest time, I did everything possible to not wear one. After my first night at the climbing gym it took me about 20 minutes to get over the stress it caused, and since then, I haven't had an issue. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Personally I have seen mask usage drop every time I am out in public.  I am sure most of you have witnessed the same thing.

At my nearby Wal-Mart, virtually no one except the employees and a handful of customers were wearing them when I went in this week. It's like people think if they ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, it will all just go away. :unsure:

• Like 3

Mask usage in my area seems to depend on what time of the day it is. Sometimes I go to the grocery store before 8am. Everyone has a mask on. Sometimes I go after work. I’m the only one wearing a mask. 

I went downtown (Cincinnati) on Monday around lunch. 50% of the people on the street had face coverings on. 

I usually only go to Meijer to do my grocery shopping anymore, because it just seems over all safer. People have their masks on, you can visually watch the people spraying down the carts the minute they roll them in, and the physical distancing people are doing is far better.... however, I had to go to Walmart last night because they are the only place local that sells my multivitamin. I can't begin to tell you how disappointing it was. That was easily the fastest in and out of an establishment I've ever had. 

• Like 1

Pop quiz time.  I'll post the answer and the link to the answer immediately after the question.  All answers are as of the time of this writing:

1. In Ohio, the 20-49 age group has what percentage of the positive COVID tests? Answer: 60%. (Source)
  2. In the US, what is the probability of someone in that same 18-49 age group requiring hospitalization for COVID? Answer: 1 in 1,600 (Source)
  3. In the US, what is the probability of someone under age 18 requiring hospitalization for COVID? Answer: 1 in 20,000 (Source)
  4. In the US, of the people in the ER, what is the percentage of those individuals admitted strictly due to COVID and/or flu-like illness?  Answer: 3.6% (Source)
  5. In the US, for every one person who dies due to PIC (pneumonia, influenza, COVID), this many people are dying of something else? Answer: 16 (Source)

No one is saying that there's no risk.  At some point though, we need to understand what the actual risk is and make decisions with real data.  We need to stop focusing on the number of cases.  The cases are primarily affecting people in the 20-49 age group who are overwhelmingly not being severely affected.  We know the number of cases is definitely under-counted, possibly by a factor of 10 (Source).  There's almost no possibility that the hospitalizations and mortality numbers are under-counted.  Why is the science and data being ignored right now?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gad198 said:

Pop quiz time.  I'll post the answer and the link to the answer immediately after the question.  All answers are as of the time of this writing:

1. In Ohio, the 20-49 age group has what percentage of the positive COVID tests? Answer: 60%. (Source)
  2. In the US, what is the probability of someone in that same 18-49 age group requiring hospitalization for COVID? Answer: 1 in 1,600 (Source)
  3. In the US, what is the probability of someone under age 18 requiring hospitalization for COVID? Answer: 1 in 20,000 (Source)
  4. In the US, of the people in the ER, what is the percentage of those individuals admitted strictly due to COVID and/or flu-like illness?  Answer: 3.6% (Source)
  5. In the US, for every one person who dies due to PIC (pneumonia, influenza, COVID), this many people are dying of something else? Answer: 16 (Source)

No one is saying that there's no risk.  At some point though, we need to understand what the actual risk is and make decisions with real data.  We need to stop focusing on the number of cases.  The cases are primarily affecting people in the 20-49 age group who are overwhelmingly not being severely affected.  We know the number of cases is definitely under-counted, possibly by a factor of 10 (Source).  There's almost no possibility that the hospitalizations and mortality numbers are under-counted.  Why is the science and data being ignored right now?

That's all well and good, it really is, but I don't even like to have my allergy symptoms flare up, let alone get a cold, or worse, something like the flu (or worse). I'm not hiding in my house, I am going out and enjoying my life, albeit far more carefully than I have in prior years. That data all looks positive for folks that don't mind being sick, but for me, I'll still live a little more carefully. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gad198 said:

And yet hospital systems in Phoenix, Houston and Miami are being overrun. We overtax the health care system and thousands more die from ailments they can't get treated for, that they would've normally survived. Or you have a hospital that can't spare the resources to try and save the life of the 80 year old grandfather, who wouldn't have gotten the virus if his younger grandson had been more responsible.

Why is it that certain demographics don't matter? Because it inconveniences others? That's not acceptable.

• Like 3

Currently at Dollywood. Everyone except for two groups so far I’ve seen have been following rules and wearing masks. 

one group didn’t speak English. I don’t think any employees were saying anything to them. I’m there defense when a guest speaks another language it’s hard to tell them to do certain things. 

the other group a ride up announced over the intercom to please where your masks while in line and then they did. 

pretty good precedures in place here. 

also in a random note: they use paper straws here. Didn’t know that. Kind of cool. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chibul said:

And yet hospital systems in Phoenix, Houston and Miami are being overrun. We overtax the health care system and thousands more die from ailments they can't get treated for, that they would've normally survived. Or you have a hospital that can't spare the resources to try and save the life of the 80 year old grandfather, who wouldn't have gotten the virus if his younger grandson had been more responsible.

Why is it that certain demographics don't matter? Because it inconveniences others? That's not acceptable.

The point I think that's being made now, is they tried. The governments of the states tried to open things back up, and trusted everyone to be adults about everything. Some chose to be adults about everything, and decided it was best to take precautions to be safe, most didn't, and we saw a huge spike in cases and hospitalizations. Adults can't be trusted to behave as adults, so now the back tracking and mandating is happening. This could have been far more simple and smoother if there wasn't a movement to do everything possible to try to get sick, and the general lack of care about what's really going on. (Just so no one has the ability to say "I don't think people are actually doing everything possible to try to get sick, see this article...  https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-students-throwing-covid-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514 ) Honestly, when you compare the US to other countries, we should all be embarrassed by what has happened here. We were given the guidelines to combat this, and far too many have decided they just don't care. Now here we are. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

As an update, City of Cincinnati passed a mandatory mask policy going into effect July 9th for areas indoors in public or congregate settings, including government buildings, retail stores and on public transportation.

lol July 4th is the day Itl be everywhere. 

46 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Why wait a week?

Give people and business time to get ready. A lot of people haven't bought a mask yet---gives them time to hit the store and get one. Also, not every business---at least here in Indiana---is requiring employees to wear masks. Rural **cough-cough** King. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, gad198 said:

Pop quiz time...

1. In Ohio, the 20-49 age group has what percentage of the positive COVID tests? Answer: 60%. 

Just wondering if the 20-49 age bracket has the highest percentage because they do not fear it as much as the over 49 population and are not as cautious? 
(No data to back it up, just wondering.)

17 minutes ago, standbyme said:

Just wondering if the 20-49 age bracket has the highest percentage because they do not fear it as much as the over 49 population and are not as cautious? 
(No data to back it up, just wondering.)

20-49 is also prime age to earn a living. They're out, and they're working. People 55 and over are MUCH less likely to be working, as compared to those under 55 as this chart proves. https://www.statista.com/statistics/217899/us-employment-rate-by-age/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

20-49 is also prime age to earn a living. They're out, and they're working. People 55 and over are MUCH less likely to be working, as compared to those under 55 as this chart proves. https://www.statista.com/statistics/217899/us-employment-rate-by-age/

Cass County, IN has the highest positive-population in the state. Only 38,000 people live there, but 1-in-23 residents have caught the Covid (1,636 as of today). The explanation is they had a huge outbreak at a big Tyson Foods plant there. That's where a large % of their small population goes to work. Still only 9 deaths, fortunately, and the outbreak occurred in the first week or two of May. They're past it now.

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

Give people and business time to get ready. A lot of people haven't bought a mask yet---gives them time to hit the store and get one. Also, not every business---at least here in Indiana---is requiring employees to wear masks. Rural **cough-cough** King. 

Get ready?  Its July!  They have had months.  Besides who doesn’t have an old T-shirt, napkin, bandana or rag they can use while they wait for their Etsy Bejeweled Mask?  I saw them at the gas station today.  SMH. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Get ready?  Its July!  They have had months.  Besides who doesn’t have an old T-shirt, napkin, bandana or rag they can use while they wait for their Etsy Bejeweled Mask?  I saw them at the gas station today.  SMH. 

I know, I know. They've had months. Keep in mind it was barely over 3-months-ago and everybody and their brother was saying buying a mask made you a horrible person because they do not work. Remember---people really were saying that. And they were "smart". Now the same soapbox people are telling everyone something completely different. I wear a mask now...I play along. But I honestly don't know if it's really helping. I hope so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

The Mayor of Cleveland ordered the use of masks in the city until further notice.  Dayton, Cincinnati, and Cleveland have all issued some sort of mask order now.  Columbus might be next? 

I thought Columbus already requires masks.

• Like 1