Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Just now, IndyGuy4KI said:

I  have seen the park cleaning them as well. They have been on top of it.

I don't doubt that, but being in my line of work, I am a germophobe.  so unless they had hand sanitizer every 30 feet or so, I prefer to just not touch them.  I'm looking forward to experiencing the entire park tomorrow.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I  have seen the park cleaning them as well. They have been on top of it.

Yeah, at Orion at least, we have 1+ people designated as queue cleaners whose entire job for that rotation is to go out and well...clean the queues.

In terms of being able to hear employees, I'd just give that a few weeks. A lot of new employees tend to talk quieter, so that problem is amplified by the sound barriers. They'll learn to speak up more soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

This is a great video -- thank you for sharing! I don't think very many people believe the mask will prevent them from GETTING the virus, and if they do, they are incorrect. The idea is to help limit the amount of particles coming from you mouth/nose, helping to slow the SPREAD of the virus. If a mask only keeps 10% less stuff from ejecting into the air onto people or touchpoints, that's a good thing. It is a small part of a web of things to help slow the spread.

1 hour ago, Phantom Theater said:

This is a great video -- thank you for sharing! I don't think very many people believe the mask will prevent them from GETTING the virus, and if they do, they are incorrect. The idea is to help limit the amount of particles coming from you mouth/nose, helping to slow the SPREAD of the virus. If a mask only keeps 10% less stuff from ejecting into the air onto people or touchpoints, that's a good thing. It is a small part of a web of things to help slow the spread.

We hear a lot about these masks don't protect you and are to prevent the spread and you are doing it to protect others.  That is true, but it is also providing some level of protection to the wearer regardless of which face covering. 

Directly from the FDA websiteIf worn properly, a surgical mask is meant to help block large-particle droplets, splashes, sprays, or splatter that may contain germs (viruses and bacteria), keeping it from reaching your mouth and nose. Surgical masks may also help reduce exposure of your saliva and respiratory secretions to others. I find it interesting that the FDA states first that they protect you and then follow-up with it protects others, whereas all recent covid stuff is putting a "spin" on it that we are wearing masks to protect others and many will say they do not protect the wearer...

I would think that if a mask can generally stop most of what is coming OUT from a 10mph sneeze, then certainly if you are wearing a mask it would have to provide some level of protection to the wearer as well from some random floating covid blob in the air getting IN...now what the level of protection is not known, but I will take my chances that a mask does provide me as a wearer some level of protection as well, along with good hygiene habits.  

A big issue is they probably cannot market and promote the masks as protecting the wearer that way because of the litigious society we live in - they cannot guarantee it will protect you, so they disclaimer it like the picture someone posted earlier.

It is just like bullet-proof vests are not really bullet-proof.   The reality is that they’re actually bullet resistant. The reality is that bullet resistant vests don’t protect the wearer from every threat. Nothing is bulletproof, not even a manhole cover. In extremely minute percentage of cases, a bullet can get through a vest that’s been rated to stop them. The bullet could have a serrated edge or something similar to it.  So does that mean law enforcement personnel shouldn't wear these vests?  No, because it still can provide some protection.  But those vests will have disclaimers all over them.  Same with face masks...

• Like 2

We were there Friday, my oldest girl was getting a drink of water at a water fountain and didn't step 3 feet from it before a security guy jumped all over her for not wearing her mask. I told him we were wearing them but she just took a drink of water and was in process of putting it on when he jumped her. We only went to ride Orion but my girls ended up riding Whitewater Canyon also. After that we were done. The mask was just to much to deal with. We will not go back till we can go without a mask. That or I will just keep it under my chin like so many others were doing. I had my hands in my face 100 times more often because of that stupid mask. 

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yeah on tower crew we have a position called "queue cleaner" where one of us goes and cleans the queue rails at carousel and at the tower as well as the bars on the platform. 

Good thing guests don't touch the elevator button at KI...

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-jumped-between-people-via-elevator-surfaces-study-2020-7

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jensenracing77 said:

We were there Friday, my oldest girl was getting a drink of water at a water fountain and didn't step 3 feet from it before a security guy jumped all over her for not wearing her mask. I told him we were wearing them but she just took a drink of water and was in process of putting it on when he jumped her. We only went to ride Orion but my girls ended up riding Whitewater Canyon also. After that we were done. The mask was just to much to deal with. We will not go back till we can go without a mask. That or I will just keep it under my chin like so many others were doing. I had my hands in my face 100 times more often because of that stupid mask. 

Same. It’s just so hot. Can’t handle it myself 

Just got back. Had to ask a few obnoxious kids 12-15 year olds “ where are your masks” as they tried to cut in front of us doing a “reride” cut through too early on whitewater canyon. My kids have had them on all day, you can as well. Also reported a guy sneaking off into the bushes To smoke at Planet Snoopy to supervisor. Yeah, I’ve become THAT guy! 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Just got back. Had to ask a few obnoxious kids 12-15 year olds “ where are your masks” as they tried to cut in front of us doing a “reride” cut through too early on whitewater canyon. My kids have had them on all day, you can as well. Also reported a guy sneaking off into the bushes To smoke at Planet Snoopy to supervisor. Yeah, I’ve become THAT guy! 

I believe in second chances---but yes---law and order should rule the day at Kings Island. The rules are clear, and security IS needed and I encourage the park and their security to enforce the rules and we should support them/give them a pat on the back. Especially now. I smoke, so while I might wish there was smoking in the park, I am not going to jump into a bush to do it. Absurd. I'll follow the rules.

• Like 2

^What is sad is that they are season pass holders that should obviously know better.  I guess they feel entitled or something. 

But yeah, if they are hiding off into the bushes, they clearly know better.  Revoke a few passes and let that circulate on social media and people will shape up...except for the totally stupid:P

By patronizing an establishment, you are agreeing to their policies.  And if people cannot follow simple company policies and/or berate the employees, then the companies just shut down or reduce their offerings:

https://www.businessinsider.com/anti-mask-customers-force-some-restaurants-re-close-dining-rooms-2020-7

• Thanks 1

Entering with our 1030 reservation and walking out at about 1020 after finishing on Mystic while the fireworks were going on, my wife and I did fine on the 4th. I bought 4 cooling neck gaiters off amazon, mission i think is the name. They were great, even with the 90 degree plus heat pretty much all day. We were pleased to see solid mask adhering overall, a couple of non compliant families when we were in the back park of Mystics queue mid-day. It was a great day, wear your mask!!

• Like 3

Season passholder preview has been shortened by two days - park is now open to all guests as of July 10. Fast passes are also now available for purchase. They've also added reservation times all the way to 6pm, and expanded capacity for every day.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, chibul said:

Season passholder preview has been shortened by two days - park is now open to all guests as of July 10. Fast passes are also now available for purchase. They've also added reservation times all the way to 6pm, and expanded capacity for every day.

Appreciate the info, as soon as I told my dad, he immediately bought the season long FL lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

Appreciate the info, as soon as I told my dad, he immediately bought the season long FL lol

FYI Boo Blasters had the FL chained off when we went Saturday but was allowing regular line, and Race For Your Life Charlie Brown & Antique Autos isn't showing as accepting FL on the new map? Bit confusing 

Ohio Governor Press Conference just issued order that counties red or purple based on new map will have to wear face masks indoors.  Currently 7 counties including Hamilton, Butler, Montgomery, Franklin , Cuyahoga, Huron, Trumbull.

He said if these orders are still in effect when schools start, that the previous school guidelines issued last week that masks are not required for students in school takes precedence over this new order...so kids over 10 years old required to wear a mask in Kroger that they may be in for less than an hour, but when they are bunched into a crowded classroom for over 30 hours/week a face mask is not needed....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Ohio Governor Press Conference just issued order that counties red or purple based on new map will have to wear face masks indoors.  Currently 7 counties including Hamilton, Butler, Montgomery, Franklin , Cuyahoga, Huron, Trumbull.

He said if these orders are still in effect when schools start, that the previous school guidelines issued last week that masks are not required for students in school takes precedence over this new order...so kids over 10 years old required to wear a mask in Kroger that they may be in for less than an hour, but when they are bunched into a crowded classroom for over 30 hours/week a face mask is not needed....

Maybe a stupid question but are interstate rest stops still open?

58 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

American school systems are completely dropping the ball re: masks. It's going to be really, really ugly if the incredibly limited data about kids not transmitting this thing very well turns out to be wrong.

Not to mention my wife and father work in a local school system. Going to be a very stressful year for me.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chibul said:

American school systems are completely dropping the ball re: masks. It's going to be really, really ugly if the incredibly limited data about kids not transmitting this thing very well turns out to be wrong.

Not to mention my wife and father work in a local school system. Going to be a very stressful year for me.

On top of the risk to faculty and staff my big question is at what point is a teen more like an adult than a kid in regards to the transmission?  My 14yo is most definitely adult sized now (200lbs+), but my 17yo is 109lbs.  I am really leaning towards online classes as much as possible for my boys until we have more data on this.  ELA, Foreign Language and labs for science classes in person would be my preference at this point.  Some/most kids would probably benefit from math in person as well, but mine don’t need it.

Elementary School is going to be a giant experiment with few controls.   

54 minutes ago, chibul said:

Our district is talking about still doing in school attendance or optional Elearning by request, temp screening would have to be done at home and encourage student drop-off vs bus. I can understand the concept, but I have to be at work over 4 hours before the bus even picks up (4:54am) due to the "staggered work schedule for covid". What the heck am I supposed to do check her while sleeping or have her hopefully do it correctly herself and call me each morning? She's 11 so was a kinda stressful thought catching the bus without us home this coming year in the first place. Throw in the extra and I'm thinking the Elearning "request form" may be the way to go (which you have to give the reasons for requesting and they have to evaluate and accept as a valid reason) :unsure:

• Sad 1

https://www.wdrb.com/news/11-louisville-businesses-issued-corrective-orders-for-covid-19-violations-over-weekend/article_702bb81c-c060-11ea-a7ff-7b94e10aa4b8.html

Kentucky Kingdom has been issued corrective orders for not enforcing Covid precautions and safety measures.  The park insists the orders are unwarranted as they were not a part of reopening plan.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

https://www.wdrb.com/news/11-louisville-businesses-issued-corrective-orders-for-covid-19-violations-over-weekend/article_702bb81c-c060-11ea-a7ff-7b94e10aa4b8.html

Kentucky Kingdom has been issued corrective orders for not enforcing Covid precautions and safety measures.  The park insists the orders are unwarranted as they were not a part of reopening plan.

Somehow I knew Kentucky Kingdom would screw it up.  Their leadership team is an absolute mess.