Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

40 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Our district is talking about still doing in school attendance or optional Elearning by request, temp screening would have to be done at home and encourage student drop-off vs bus. I can understand the concept, but I have to be at work over 4 hours before the bus even picks up (4:54am) due to the "staggered work schedule for covid". What the heck am I supposed to do check her while sleeping or have her hopefully do it correctly herself and call me each morning? She's 11 so was a kinda stressful thought catching the bus without us home this coming year in the first place. Throw in the extra and I'm thinking the Elearning "request form" may be the way to go (which you have to give the reasons for requesting and they have to evaluate and accept as a valid reason) :unsure:

There will be lots of elearning occurring this year. A district can not force you to send your child to school during a pandemic. It is not truancy. I feel for the teachers that will be left to plan two lessons plans a day (for those in attendance, and those at home). In addition, Ohio cutting back on school payments means loss of more staff for districts. One large Ohio district will lose roughly 700 staff due to less money from Ohio.

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

https://www.wdrb.com/news/11-louisville-businesses-issued-corrective-orders-for-covid-19-violations-over-weekend/article_702bb81c-c060-11ea-a7ff-7b94e10aa4b8.html

Kentucky Kingdom has been issued corrective orders for not enforcing Covid precautions and safety measures.  The park insists the orders are unwarranted as they were not a part of reopening plan.

The rest of the article clarifies a little more though

20200707_170928.jpg

FYI Boo Blasters had the FL chained off when we went Saturday but was allowing regular line, and Race For Your Life Charlie Brown & Antique Autos isn't showing as accepting FL on the new map? Bit confusing 
You can definitely use it on Race for your Life, and the cars I've done it this year. And not sure why Boo was chained off, my guess is they forgot to open it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I am afraid this might happen to Kings Island in the coming weeks.

Based on what I saw yesterday and heard from staff that could be where things head. Maybe they are waiting to see what happens when ticket sales are added in. I think if passhokdeds could call day of or even through the day and see if they have reached capacity and just head over it would help. People don’t want to fool with the reservation system for every little visit. 

I think if the park got rid of mask requirements and reservations they'd be packed. Or at least makin' money. Just an observation based on pics of beaches and such. A VERY large segment of society is not interested in masks especially outdoors. Sucks for the park. If they eliminate mask requirements DeWine will certainly shut them down. Gonna be a short season I'm afraid.

*Not exactly helping it's like 800-degrees this July*

10 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I think if the park got rid of mask requirements and reservations they'd be packed. Or at least makin' money. Just an observation based on pics of beaches and such. A VERY large segment of society is not interested in masks especially outdoors. Sucks for the park. If they eliminate mask requirements DeWine will certainly shut them down. Gonna be a short season I'm afraid.

Indiana Beach has been pretty busy. Masks are just recommended there. Right now KI is between a rock and a hard place. I feel much better at KI though when it comes to COVID safety. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Good buddy was at Holiday World on Saturday while I was at KI.  There appeared to be more people at HW.  The water park was packed!  Pretty sure they were close to the 15k number I've seen thrown around for their cap most of the day.  Didn't start emptying out until the water closed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Good buddy was at Holiday World on Saturday while I was at KI.  There appeared to be more people at HW.  The water park was packed!  Pretty sure they were close to the 15k number I've seen thrown around for their cap.

We live very close to Indiana Beach, and had friends make the long trek down to Holiday World this past weekend. Parks are hopping, and our numbers are "okay". So far. 

33 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Those beaches are in a state where the governor has been routinely criticized by the citizens of a state.

39 minutes ago, malem said:

Personally, I'm hoping more parks relax reservation restrictions on weekdays. As it stands now, an impromptu visit to KI on a lightly crowded weekday is impossible if I have two future visits scheduled already.

Actually, according to KI's website...

"Each passholder may unlimited active reservations, subject to reservation availability."

:) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malem said:

Personally, I'm hoping more parks relax reservation restrictions on weekdays. As it stands now, an impromptu visit to KI on a lightly crowded weekday is impossible if I have two future visits scheduled already.

Not anymore - passholders can now have unlimited reservations at once.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:06 PM, disco2000 said:

We hear a lot about these masks don't protect you and are to prevent the spread and you are doing it to protect others.  That is true, but it is also providing some level of protection to the wearer regardless of which face covering. 

Directly from the FDA websiteIf worn properly, a surgical mask is meant to help block large-particle droplets, splashes, sprays, or splatter that may contain germs (viruses and bacteria), keeping it from reaching your mouth and nose. Surgical masks may also help reduce exposure of your saliva and respiratory secretions to others. I find it interesting that the FDA states first that they protect you and then follow-up with it protects others, whereas all recent covid stuff is putting a "spin" on it that we are wearing masks to protect others and many will say they do not protect the wearer...

I would think that if a mask can generally stop most of what is coming OUT from a 10mph sneeze, then certainly if you are wearing a mask it would have to provide some level of protection to the wearer as well from some random floating covid blob in the air getting IN...now what the level of protection is not known, but I will take my chances that a mask does provide me as a wearer some level of protection as well, along with good hygiene habits.  

A big issue is they probably cannot market and promote the masks as protecting the wearer that way because of the litigious society we live in - they cannot guarantee it will protect you, so they disclaimer it like the picture someone posted earlier.

It is just like bullet-proof vests are not really bullet-proof.   The reality is that they’re actually bullet resistant. The reality is that bullet resistant vests don’t protect the wearer from every threat. Nothing is bulletproof, not even a manhole cover. In extremely minute percentage of cases, a bullet can get through a vest that’s been rated to stop them. The bullet could have a serrated edge or something similar to it.  So does that mean law enforcement personnel shouldn't wear these vests?  No, because it still can provide some protection.  But those vests will have disclaimers all over them.  Same with face masks...

I realize this is an older post, but another reason for the warnings about "not protecting the wearer" is pretty straightforward (other than putting that warning on there as a C.Y.A. to prevent litigation of course).

There are three known points of ingress for viruses that spread via respiratory droplets: nose, mouth, and eyes. Masks only cover two of these three, so one point of ingress is still exposed. However, there are only TWO points of egress: mouth and nose. Both of these are covered. So a mask will successfully block particles at all points of egress but only at two of the three points of ingress. For this reason, even the best mask in the world that filters 100% of respiratory droplets can never PERFECTLY protect the wearer, even if they never touch their face. However, this theoretical perfect mask could completely prevent an infected person from spreading the virus. This is one (of many) reasons why in a situation where only one of the two parties is wearing a mask, the virus spreads less easily if the infected party is the one wearing it. Of course, if both parties are wearing even a mask that is just okay and are good about never touching their face without washing their hands first, the odds of any disease spreading between them become astronomically small. Smaller still if they are standing several feet apart.

• Like 3

My mask is simply a layer of spandex...with the heat being what it was, the mask wasn't the issue...more lack of shade, indoor ac spots and available hydration. It was so hot that no water from the mist fans was reaching the ppl in line much less the ground...I assume it was evaporating immediately.

6 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

As an anti masker, I tried the mask at KI, despite the most comfy mask I could buy, I can’t do it. Til no mask required I’d rather not go. 

You may never go back. Unfortunately, due to so many people completely unwilling to do what it takes to fight a pandemic, we may be in masks in public spaces for years to come. It may be at least 2 years before we have a safe, viable vaccine to fight the spread. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

You may never go back. Unfortunately, due to so many people completely unwilling to do what it takes to fight a pandemic, we may be in masks in public spaces for years to come. It may be at least 2 years before we have a safe, viable vaccine to fight the spread. 

Yeah, this is an interesting point. So many people are like "Oh everything will be fine next year", while simultaneously pretending everything's fine NOW...and it's far, FAR from fine. As a country and as citizens our response to this pandemic has been nothing short of a dumpster fire - we should have this contained by now, and would have if people would display even a modicum of personal responsibility.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

A vaccine for covid? I’ve read on it and it says it will not be the same strains when ones developed. Everyone I’ve spoken with all agreed we aren’t getting the vaccine if one becomes available.

itl run it’s course through everyone. And everyone will be immune. There’s more covid now everywhere and less deaths than ever. Immunity is working already.

let it progress naturally. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

A vaccine for covid? I’ve read on it and it says it will not be the same strains when ones developed. Everyone I’ve spoken with all agreed we aren’t getting the vaccine if one becomes available.

itl run it’s course through everyone. And everyone will be immune. There’s more covid now everywhere and less deaths than ever. Immunity is working already.

let it progress naturally. 

Sorry, but this is absolutely absurd and socially irresponsible. There's literally no evidence that "immunity" even exists with this strain of coronavirus. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

This right here.  

Also mask or no mask with these levels of humidity and 90F+ days it is miserable outside especially if one is not acclimated to it which many of us are not because we haven’t been spending as much time outside doing stuff as we normally would.

I bet the employees are even more miserable than the guests but are probably not allowed to post about it.     

• Like 1