Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

4 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Why are the same people wanting to lock people up "with boots and subpoenas" actually going to Kings Island, and/or even posting on this forum when the park is open. I find that hilarious and 100% oxymoronic.

There you go again...putting words in my mouth.   Where did I say “lock people up”?  Please quote.  

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

There you go again...putting words in my mouth.   Where did I say “lock people up”?  Please quote.  

Your exact quote was, "contact tracing is boots on the ground with badges and subpoenas." Do tell us what happens after the boots, badges and subpoenas take affect. Let people wander around?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Your exact quote was, "contact tracing is boots on the ground with badges and subpoenas." Do tell us what happens after the boots, badges and subpoenas take affect. Let people wander around?

Failure to cooperate with contact tracing should result in steep civil fines.  IMO. 

• Like 3

Just now, bjcolglazier said:

LOL. Of course. After boots, badges and subpoenas comes...wait for it..."civil fines". Do you hear yourself?

Yes, judges use civil fines to encourage compliance all the time, jail is not the only option.  Do you hear your callous disregard for life?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

LOL. Of course. After boots, badges and subpoenas comes...wait for it..."civil fines". Do you hear yourself?

I would assume in this instance the subpoena would be to obtain the data related to one's mobile device, which more than likely has a history of where someone has been...pings off cellular towers, etc. as that is the only true way to contact trace...  Most people are not going to remember where they were at 2:45 last Thursday or whatnot.  The ability to create after the fact a "diary" of where one has been when and where based on memory will certainly not be very reliable.

Now whether a judge would grant it for contact tracing for random Joe would probably be tough.  Now someone that is known to have it and flagrantly disregarded the protocol and went on vacation, flew in an airplane, and posted all their adventures while known to have it may be a justified subpoena.  

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I would assume in this instance the subpoena would be to obtain the data related to one's mobile device, which more than likely has a history of where someone has been...pings off cellular towers, etc. as that is the only true way to contact trace...  Most people are not going to remember where they were at 2:45 last Thursday or whatnot.  The ability to create after the fact a "diary" of where one has been when and where based on memory will certainly not be very reliable.

To add people lie even boast about it. Like when they announced the screening questions. People weren't shy about saying we can just lie. 

it's why the temp checks can't easily fake a temp. A phone ping will be undeniable versus what a person could say. And that needs a subpoena. 

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Boots, badges and subpoenas. Sounds intimidating. And we're just not China. Or Asia generally. You're not snooping through my phone. And I think the American populace agrees with me. It's not happening. Move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

Or Asia generally. 

Couldn't agree more. Just look at South Korea and how they've handled this pandemic. They regularly distribute N95 masks to their populace on a consistent basis. The real measure of a man is how he scrounges for basic supplies his wealthy nation can't provide. 

• Like 5

If I'm exposed to the virus, isolating myself for 14 days or until I can get a test is a small price to pay to not spread the virus further.

Just now, disco2000 said:

Android phones with Google Maps store your location history for future reference if this feature is enabled, but it's not stored often enough to identify who you were in close contact with. Mobile networks also store data about which towers were connected to, but it's not detailed enough to identify precise locations.

Unless you're in a society like China where everyone is tracked all the time, contact tracing generally relies on voluntary compliance.

2 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Boots, badges and subpoenas. Sounds intimidating. And we're just not China. Or Asia generally. You're not snooping through my phone. And I think the American populace agrees with me. It's not happening. Move on.

And for good or bad, our freedom mentality is why the US contact tracing will fail miserably.  Most people will forget they made a stop at a 7-11 or something or will flat out lie if approached for a verbal recollection of where they have been in the last 14 days.

Meanwhile, whether people want to acknowledge it or not, we are already being tracked by whatever mobile device you own and cellular carrier...and I doubt it is really anonymous :

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/tech/location-tracking-florida-coronavirus/index.html

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/tracking-covid-19-with-cell-phone-data-while-safeguarding-privacy/

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/google-releases-huge-trove-of-data-tracking-user-movements-during-covid-19-crisis-1234570096/

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9888358?hl=en

https://www.westernmassnews.com/news/government-agencies-now-tracking-phone-apps-to-fight-against-covid-19/article_d150cbe8-b1a4-11ea-8d97-c79ae97a1f99.html

https://www.governing.com/security/Phone-Tracking-in-Michigan-Sparks-Privacy-COVID-19-Questions.html

https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-human-os/telecom/wireless/facebook-google-data-publics-movement-covid19

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/04/apple-makes-mobility-data-available-to-aid-covid-19-efforts/

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/coronavirus/cell-phone-data-used-to-track-covid-19-1

15 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

The real measure of a man is how he scrounges for basic supplies his wealthy nation can't provide. 

LMAO. I've had some really good laughs tonight. Thank you for topping it off! Don't forget folks, "The real measure of a man is how he scrounges for basic supplies his wealthy nation can't provide."

37 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

What part has you so intimidated?  Boots?  We wear boots all the time when walking long distances, especially when unsure of the terrain.  Sneakers, sandals, mules, pumps, flats makes no difference to me, the point is tracers out in the field talking to people not leaving voice mails. Badges?  Well, I guess that might intimidate you. Didn’t figure you were that type though.  Subpoenas?  Only if you do not cooperate.  I take it you are a conscientious objector? :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

What part has you so intimidated?  Boots?  We wear boots all the time when walking long distances, especially when unsure of the terrain.  Sneakers, sandals, mules, pumps, flats makes no difference to me, the point is tracers out in the field talking to people not leaving voice mails. Badges?  Well, I guess that might intimidate you. Didn’t figure you were that type though.  Subpoenas?  Only if you do not cooperate.  :D

Walk it back a bit...that's good. :-) We're not going subpoena thousands of people though. You know that. I know that. And the whole "boots and badges" thing just...bad timing. You know. ;-)

Not walking anything back.   Boots on the ground means exactly what I said.  You are right, we clearly are not going to have robust contact tracing.  So unlike other 1st world countries like in Europe we will just have to live with exponential growth rates for the foreseeable future and our economy will not be able to recover for a very long time.  Except in Indiana, you guys are immune to these issues, just like Texas, Florida and Arizona thought they were.  

“There is no functioning economy unless we control the virus” -Some dude from SC.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

I'm not on team lock-people-up to stop the spread. I'm just not. I can tell you the daily number of deaths has been plummeting nationwide on a sharp downward line.

That's completely false. Deaths are creeping up again. Texas had its highest total of deaths to date just today.

2 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

This is why Dr. Fauci, the Pediatric Association, etc, want schools OPEN. More kids are going to suffer if schools are closed. They are the experts. Which expert advise do ya'll choose to listen to?

Who said anything about schools being closed? It's a false narrative that people *want* schools closed - but if they're going to reopen they need to do so under strict protocols and guidelines. We aren't going back to the "normal way of doing things". 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, FreedomPenguin said:

As an anti masker, I tried the mask at KI, despite the most comfy mask I could buy, I can’t do it. Til no mask required I’d rather not go. 

Please don't leave your house either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m going to put my two cents in on this matter.

Once again, Cedar Fair is refusing to take responsibility, just like they shrugged off a guest being fatally stabbed on their property, (albeit in the corner by the toll booths) and they won’t say where this associate worked.

i was very concerned about KI reopening, consider I was a Halloween Haunt maze usher at Wonderland. My job was to keep the flow running, when guests won’t listen to me there and laugh at me, who’s the say guests won’t react with the same hostile attitude when they are told to put their masks on. I got in trouble at wonderland for putting my foot down when a big logjam was created with guests and I sternly told them to leave.

im not going to point fingers and name the person, but it’s unacceptable when I learned that three current Kings Island associates had spent a day earlier this week goofing off at Holiday World. Yes, a trip that would require crossing over two state lines. I think many understand the risk of that here and personally I am disgusted by that behavior.

Obviously, Wonderland isn’t opened, and the province of Ontario is still reporting slightly north of 100 new cases each day, our population is 14.5 million so you can do the math. Cedar Fair’s greed to reopen the parks could care less about public safety.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

Cedar Fair’s greed to reopen the parks could care less about public safety.

If The Interpreter were still here he would say: “Well, if they could care less, that must mean they DO care to at least some degree!” :lol:

(It’s when they couldn’t care less that we’ve hit rock bottom.)

• Like 6

10 hours ago, chibul said:

Who said anything about schools being closed? It's a false narrative that people *want* schools closed - but if they're going to reopen they need to do so under strict protocols and guidelines. We aren't going back to the "normal way of doing things". 

False narratives like this are so common. I can think of another topic very similar to this, where the narrative has been warped into such incredulous "them against us"  proportions. It makes me wonder if people actively avoid talking to people who think differently from them.

People are simply wanting a better, safer way to open schools back up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joshua said:

False narratives like this are so common. I can think of another topic very similar to this, where the narrative has been warped into such incredulous "them against us"  proportions. It makes me wonder if people actively avoid talking to people who think differently from them.

People are simply wanting a better, safer way to open schools back up. 

Right. I don't think literally anyone WANTS schools to stay closed. I want them open. My wife works at a school. My dad works at a school. I just want them to be safe. That's all. 

• Like 4

And then you see articles like this with an outbreak at summer camps.  This place does have day camps and overnight camps and there isn't a readily available breakdown on from which camps, but if it can spread in this environment, why not in school?  Certainly puts things like DC trips and other overnight school field trips into question.

https://people.com/health/missouri-summer-camp-sees-dozens-infected-with-coronavirus-as-outbreak-raises-safety-concerns/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/missouri-arkansas-summer-camp-covid-19-trnd/index.html

12 hours ago, MisterSG1 said:

I’m going to put my two cents in on this matter.

Once again, Cedar Fair is refusing to take responsibility, just like they shrugged off a guest being fatally stabbed on their property, (albeit in the corner by the toll booths) and they won’t say where this associate worked.

i was very concerned about KI reopening, consider I was a Halloween Haunt maze usher at Wonderland. My job was to keep the flow running, when guests won’t listen to me there and laugh at me, who’s the say guests won’t react with the same hostile attitude when they are told to put their masks on. I got in trouble at wonderland for putting my foot down when a big logjam was created with guests and I sternly told them to leave.

im not going to point fingers and name the person, but it’s unacceptable when I learned that three current Kings Island associates had spent a day earlier this week goofing off at Holiday World. Yes, a trip that would require crossing over two state lines. I think many understand the risk of that here and personally I am disgusted by that behavior.

Obviously, Wonderland isn’t opened, and the province of Ontario is still reporting slightly north of 100 new cases each day, our population is 14.5 million so you can do the math. Cedar Fair’s greed to reopen the parks could care less about public safety.

And Indiana is so Lax about the virus

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Apparently no more screaming on rides in Japan theme parks to keep out the corona....bet the KI neighbors would love to see this added to the policy :P

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53344447

If that comes to KI, someone will probably start a "scream loud on Orion, they can't stop us all" event lol.

• Like 1