Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 hour ago, LuvingKI said:

I have plans to go to Splashing Safari Saturday, I just saw Kentucky made a  mandatory state wide mask law.. Anyone know how that will effect the water park ?

Whats the relationship between going to splashing safari and mask required in ky?  Its pretty much universal about mask and water anywhere.

1 hour ago, LuvingKI said:

I have plans to go to Splashing Safari Saturday, I just saw Kentucky made a  mandatory state wide mask law.. Anyone know how that will effect the water park ?

For the moment the order has been blocked by a judge.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/politics/kentucky-circuit-judge-coronavirus-orders-masks/index.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

Splashin' Safari is at Holiday World.  Hurricane Bay is at KK.  I'd check the website for the park you are going to for specifics, but I would conjecture that while on water attractions, no mask will be required, but while walking or sunbathing, mask up!

According to the link KDD posted the point is moot, but I am going to KK on Monday so Ive been checking the website multiple times a day, and under their list of rules, it is still showing masks as recommended and masks shall not be worn any time while in the water.  As of this writing, Holiday World and Splashin Safari are stating the same.

28 minutes ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

According to the link KDD posted the point is moot, but I am going to KK on Monday so Ive been checking the website multiple times a day, and under their list of rules, it is still showing masks as recommended and masks shall not be worn any time while in the water.  As of this writing, Holiday World and Splashin Safari are stating the same.

Just wear one, 

• Like 1

Has anyone put together a list of ride capacity/operations changes due to social distancing requirements? I did a quick search and could not find it myself. 
Most/all coasters besides Orion are running only two trains at half capacity.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

At least KI has been excellent with their social distancing queue plan and implementation.  When the Magic Kingdom opened to the general public today, Disney did a terrible job of ensuring safety of their visitors with their social distancing queue implementation.  The sad thing Is many of these people may potentially catch the virus and bring it back to their town.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

At least KI has been excellent with their social distancing queue plan and implementation.  When the Magic Kingdom opened to the general public today, Disney did a terrible job of ensuring safety of their visitors with their social distancing queue implementation.  The sad thing Is many of these people may potentially catch the virus and bring it back to their town.

Except the problem is that photo was not from today, and those are not the general public.  It was taken during previews while Disney was testing procedures.  This is not representative at all of how the Disney parks are doing.

Also this does not look much different then the entrance to Orion frequently did when I was at the park on the 4th.  People kept showing up early for their time slot and they were being held outside the entrance and it formed into a queue which looked a lot like what that photo does.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Furthermore, Disney is getting nailed over this viral video: 

Thoughts?

Some are saying the reaction is from a peanut allergy not a sickness. If that’s true and I was in there shoes I don’t think I would be blogging about it anyways with everything going on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bengalsguy23 said:

Some are saying the reaction is from a peanut allergy not a sickness. If that’s true and I was in there shoes I don’t think I would be blogging about it anyways with everything going on. 

Yep, but the blood pressure comment is significant as a indicator this is COVID related. The Peanut Allergy would cause some but not all of the symptoms, COVID would cause all of them.

1 hour ago, robintodd said:

Found it interesting that they are lo longer showing the available number of slots for each time on the reservation page.  Makes it harder to judge the crowd size.  Cedar Point is still showing available numbers.

I understand why they're doing it...but in terms of public health that's just irresponsible. I'd venture to say it'd make a lot of people less likely to go, not more likely.

• Like 3

I understand why they're doing it...but in terms of public health that's just irresponsible. I'd venture to say it'd make a lot of people less likely to go, not more likely.

I assume the reason they aren’t is related to not communicating to their competition how many people are visiting the park every day... althoughi would have expected the entire chain to go to this.

is there a different reason that you think they removed these numbers? My other thought was that they removed the numbers as it’s more complicated now since some “spots” can be taken by general public (where Cedar Point is still only pass holders)

I agree that it isn’t helpful. I was considering going over for a few hours tonight, but I only wanted to go if there were a lot of spots left (Ie it wasn’t busy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower cognitive ability linked to non-compliance with social distancing guidelines during the coronavirus outbreak

https://www.psypost.org/2020/07/covidiot-study-lower-cognitive-ability-linked-to-non-compliance-with-social-distancing-guidelines-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak-57293

The researchers also found that higher levels of fluid intelligence and agreeableness were associated with greater social distancing compliance. But the link between working memory and social distancing held even after controlling for these factors and others.

Those with better working memory capacity also tended to view social distancing has having more benefits than costs and were more likely to have a preference for fairness during an Ultimatum Game, which partially explained the association.

“The decision of whether or not to follow social distancing guidelines is a difficult one, especially when there is a conflict between the societal benefits (e.g., prevent straining public health resources) and personal costs (e.g., loss in social connection and financial challenges). This decision critically relies on our mental capacity in retaining multiple pieces of potentially conflicting information in our head, which is referred to as working memory capacity,” Xie told PsyPost.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, chibul said:

I think the only reason they had slots to begin with was to limit the arrival times as well as total park capacity.  Indications are they are coming nowhere near to their limited capacity cap.  Worlds of Fun has dropped the need for a reservation completely.  I think Kings Island is not far behind.

They likely have a capacity number for the health check tents and probably have not been close to it, thus there is a lot less worry about being "overwhelmed".

• Like 1

And after re-opening June 18th, Hong Kong DisneyLand is re-closing July 15th due to spread - didn't make it a month - https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2020/07/13/hong-kong-disneyland-to-close-again-after-coronavirus-outbreak/

It is generally acknowledged that Hong Kong has some of the better implementation of measures to combat this spread - mandatory contact tracing, their acceptance of mask wearing, etc....could a re-closure be coming soon to a park near you...stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel...:P

• Like 1

Fifty-two new confirmed cases were reported in the region Monday, forcing the park to shut its gates.

Wow, 52 cases is cause for concern.... meanwhile in Florida, I think I saw 15k cases or something like that? Yeah, given the differences in what people find alarming, I doubt we will see anything close here in the good ol' USA

22 hours ago, chuck norris said:

I assume the reason they aren’t is related to not communicating to their competition how many people are visiting the park every day... althoughi would have expected the entire chain to go to this.

is there a different reason that you think they removed these numbers? My other thought was that they removed the numbers as it’s more complicated now since some “spots” can be taken by general public (where Cedar Point is still only pass holders)

I agree that it isn’t helpful. I was considering going over for a few hours tonight, but I only wanted to go if there were a lot of spots left (Ie it wasn’t busy).

Not the reason...follow the $.

Not the reason...follow the $.

What Is the reason?
If they put numbers on, then if there are more people like me, who see that the park is empty some random day, I’m more likely to make a last minute reservation and head over for a few hours in the afternoon. Maybe buy a treat or souvenir.

So if I follow the money, having the numbers in the reservation system enables more $$$. Removing them means I’m not going unless a friend goes or a forum confirms its a light attendance.

40 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

What Is the reason?
If they put numbers on, then if there are more people like me, who see that the park is empty some random day, I’m more likely to make a last minute reservation and head over for a few hours in the afternoon. Maybe buy a treat or souvenir.

So if I follow the money, having the numbers in the reservation system enables more $$$. Removing them means I’m not going unless a friend goes or a forum confirms its a light attendance.

Exactly. This will drive away way more customers than it'll drive in.

15 minutes ago, chibul said:

Exactly. This will drive away way more customers than it'll drive in.

It very well may but providing those numbers could hurt them as well.  Past precedent and business practices indicate broadcasting current attendance hurts more than helps. When has the park ever sent out a Tweet, “Come on down, nobody is here today and everything is a station wait!”  This is an unprecedented situation so nobody really knows the impact until they try it.  

It very well may but providing those numbers could hurt them as well.  Past precedent and business practices indicate broadcasting current attendance hurts more than helps. When has the park ever sent out a Tweet, “Come on down, nobody is here today and everything is a station wait!”  This is an unprecedented situation so nobody really knows the impact until they try it.  

What they had was fairly discrete, Ie you has to actively seek it. In your example, if the park put out an announcement like that I probably still wouldn’t go, as I’d assume that a huge influx of people would soon be coming (although if true then it would meet the park’s objective of such a statement)...

But none of this conversation really answers why the park removed that capability to see available spots left from the online system (and saying “follow the money” isn’t enough of a clue for me).

Cedar Fair made preparations at the beginning of the summer to make sure that they would be financially viable this year regardless of what happens as seen by their financial statements.  I get a kick out of those who say they'll hurt the park by not going.  Like in all businesses that involve employees, the only ones you are hurting by not going is the employees, not the main company. 

I've found that the difference between 4,000 at the park and 10,000 at the park is actually minimal.  The lines for the major attractions are still the same.  Each time I've went feels like a moderate week day (1/2 hour wait for most coasters, except Orion).  It's just the walkways, eateries and (of course) shows are less crowded.

America is #1 in the world in medical research, medical innovation, and top healthcare professionals/facilities. It's not even close, but we are the absolute epicenter of the Coronavirus pandemic. Also not even close.  You have to ask yourself why? Who is responsible? I think we know the answer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, presto123 said:

America is #1 in the world in medical research, medical innovation, and top healthcare professionals/facilities. It's not even close, but we are the absolute epicenter of the Coronavirus pandemic. Also not even close.  You have to ask yourself why? Who is responsible? I think we know the answer.

Top healthcare facilities and professionals, sure.  Top healthcare?  Not so much.  We’re probably not in the top 10.  And yeah, let’s not beat around the bush.  Our leadership is awful right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1