Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

5 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I thought you could purchase a FL at KI this year?

Yep, certainly could. We went late October (not the last weekend), and brought some friends. The only issue for them was you could only buy FL online. So we all got in the park, our family got our all-season, and then our friends had to go on their phones and buy them. A bit strange, held us up for a bit, but they bought them via phone, and were able to redeem. All while we were 10-feet from the booth.

Here’s some good news, the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine candidate has shown to be over 90% effective at preventing COVID-19 in trial participants so far in its Phase 3 trials. I agree it’s probably to take a while to distribute, and COVID restrictions will probably be in effect at the parks for much of next year, but we might finally have a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2020/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-Announce-Vaccine-Candidate-Against-COVID-19-Achieved-Success-in-First-Interim-Analysis-from-Phase-3-Study/default.aspx

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

Here’s some good news, the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine candidate has shown to be over 90% effective at preventing COVID-19 in trial participants so far in its Phase 3 trials. I agree it’s probably to take a while to distribute, and COVID restrictions will probably be in effect at the parks for much of next year, but we might finally have a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2020/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-Announce-Vaccine-Candidate-Against-COVID-19-Achieved-Success-in-First-Interim-Analysis-from-Phase-3-Study/default.aspx

Hopefully that "light" doesn't end up being a freight train lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Sun-Sentinel piece on DeSantos is a bit troubling for the Orlando parks. The paper’s article stated that DeSantos’ government cherry-picked data to ensure money would flow back to the state.

With misleading statements, the state has been lying about the spread of the Virus. This may bite Disney and Universal, as they were lauded and touted as safe by DeSantos. Now, with the credibility issue, I wonder how many people will want to travel to Florida.

I feel that Cedar Fair did an excellent job in dealing with the pandemic during the summer of 2020.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

With COVID vaccines expected to roll out over the next several months, do you guys think Kings Island/Cedar Fair and other amusement parks may require  proof of vaccination to visit the park (once vaccines are widely available to the point that anyone can get one)? There has already been talk of vaccines being required to attend concerts, sporting events, and the like, so I wonder if the same might apply to the parks. Knowing that everyone in the park has been vaccinated would probably be an easier way to provide a more normal park experience for guests, though I’m not sure what percentage of the park’s clientele are in the “I will never get the vaccine no matter what” camp and if it would be worth alienating that group as a business decision.

46 minutes ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

With COVID vaccines expected to roll out over the next several months, do you guys think Kings Island/Cedar Fair and other amusement parks may require  proof of vaccination to visit the park (once vaccines are widely available to the point that anyone can get one)? There has already been talk of vaccines being required to attend concerts, sporting events, and the like, so I wonder if the same might apply to the parks. Knowing that everyone in the park has been vaccinated would probably be an easier way to provide a more normal park experience for guests, though I’m not sure what percentage of the park’s clientele are in the “I will never get the vaccine no matter what” camp and if it would be worth alienating that group as a business decision.

One of the ideas they are floating is requiring getting the vaccine in order to receive the next $1,200 (or whatever amount) stimulus payment.  I could imagine many who would argue about getting the vaccine alone would get the vaccine in order to get that cheddar.

3 hours ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

Or at the very least I hope they give those with a vaccine a wristband to wear so they can walk around the park without a mask.

I'm not anti-mask, anti vax or anti social distancing.  But....

I wouldn't get overly comfortable/confident in a vaccine.  CV19 has shown in mutates.  Like the flu, it might become a yearly thing with an effectiveness fluctuations.  That 90% may go down to 40% if this thing mutates.  Even with a vaccine, it might be wise to continue masking and social distancing for a while.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:18 AM, CoasterFan3180 said:

Does this not violate HIPPA laws?  

On 12/5/2020 at 8:08 AM, robintodd said:

One of the ideas they are floating is requiring getting the vaccine in order to receive the next $1,200 (or whatever amount) stimulus payment.  I could imagine many who would argue about getting the vaccine alone would get the vaccine in order to get that cheddar.

Should this not make you question why they are willing to pay you to take the vaccine? 

• Like 1

Requiring guests be vaccinated opens several cans of worms I don't think CF wants to do.  For one, it's not exactly clear that it would be legal.  Even if they were ultimately successful in defending such a policy in court, is it really worth the money and effort?  And then there are the logistics of it enforcing it.  Do you make every guest bring medical records to the park?  And who checks them, the front gate folks?  Do you really want your admissions people trying to determine if someone's vaccination records are authentic?

I think the only way things will change is once the public data show that the community spread is under control.  Given the efficacy rates touted by the pharmaceutical companies, and the timeline for the vaccine to be available to pretty much everyone in the spring, you'd hope cases would be few and far between, and hospitalizations and deaths would be a thing of the past by early summer.  Then and only then will restrictions on capacity, mandatory masks, half empty trains, etc., be lifted.  If all goes according to plan, I don't think it would be unreasonable to hope things are back close to normal by Memorial Day.  Considering what we've been through the last 9 months, I think we'd all be happy with that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Is there evidence you can? And it's not my fault if you don't have the vaccine. Take the precautions you think necessary. 

?  The vaccine is not out yet.  You said earlier "If you've had the vaccine why do you care about other people?".  Again what do you mean by this?  There is no evidence if you can pass on the virus after vaccination or you cannot after vaccination.  Are you saying that after you have the vaccine you can care less about everyone else around you and dont care if you can still pass it on.  Or are you saying once your vaccinated it does not matter what people do around you do?

10 hours ago, alsoran said:

A simple question, does anyone have any stats on if the virus has spread at an amusement park?  We have had most of the year to see what could have happened, so I would wonder if any numbers have came out of this.  

I do not know the answer but I'm sure its near 0. The chances of you catching it outdoors is next to nothing. Its why Dewine has decided on things like allowing fans at Browns games later today and on Jan 3rd. I'm still not sure why King's Island didn't go ahead with a taste of Christmas or something like it. People are gonna party privately and not be safe on New Years Eve when they could do it safely at King's Island if that had stayed open. Also just like the Browns they would have been exempt from the 10pm curfews and likely could have sold alcohol right up until their usual "1 hour before close".

7 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I do not know the answer but I'm sure its near 0. The chances of you catching it outdoors is next to nothing. Its why Dewine has decided on things like allowing fans at Browns games later today and on Jan 3rd. I'm still not sure why King's Island didn't go ahead with a taste of Christmas or something like it. People are gonna party privately and not be safe on New Years Eve when they could do it safely at King's Island if that had stayed open. Also just like the Browns they would have been exempt from the 10pm curfews and likely could have sold alcohol right up until their usual "1 hour before close".

Because there is a third wave going on and numbers are surging in Ohio. With Winterfest, people gather close together for shows and waiting for rides. That’s the last thing you need during a pandemic.

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, flightoffear1996 said:

I think one of the reason might be that Kings Island didnt do the taste of Christmas event would be because Governor DwWine threatened to close things down again.  While ultimley it didnt happen but it would have been risky descion to invest in setting everything up just to have to have it shut down.  

While that is a possibility, I think North Carolina and Virginia have the better chance of shutting things down again compared to Ohio. Remember that Kings Dominion and Carowinds did not open at all this season because of restrictions while Kings Island and Cedar Point were allowed to open. I think that Cedar Fair wanted to have a Taste of the Season event at Kings Dominion and Carowinds simply to open the park to passholders and prove to the governors that they can operate an amusement park safely during the pandemic, so they will be allowed to open in the spring. Also taking into consideration the days of operation for Taste of the Season, there are not many weekends of operation which shows that Cedar Fair’s main goal with this event was likely not to turn a huge profit but rather to get people in the park again.

8 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Just because they can does not mean they should. Plus, maybe OH has different guidelines than TN.

While I agree with that I think my argument for opening has been lost. People are gonna have private Christmas new years parties and pass the virus around. Should they? No. But they will anyways. Doing it at King's Island safely wearing masks and being 6 feet away is the lesser of 2 evils.

• Like 1