Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

I don't think it will ever go away but it will become like a cold almost. People will become so used to it that they just regularly get a vaccine and move on with their year. I'm hoping 2021 is a new year with no serious threat of COVID. 

And please, let's not try and say "this is impossible" or anything.

My personal opinion is that we will live with this for a while until the herd immunity  effect comes into play.

Vaccines have all but squashed MMR and polio.  However, when anti-vaxxers have an influence, and if there is one exposure, it can spread.  I do believe in personal choice, but I also believe in thinking of the welfare of others over yourself, as in doing things not in selfish ambition , but considering the interest of others.

But for the confident COVID vaccine injected--please temper your confidence and continue to be careful.  This isn't like you got fixed and can now just go all out into 1960's style adult parties!

But some things are good from this pandemic.  I personally am glad for the line spacing in ride queues.  I like my space.  

Oh, and for the record, I don't own a Speedo and never would.  LOL

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

My personal opinion is that we will live with this for a while until the herd immunity  effect comes into play.

Vaccines have all but squashed MMR and polio.  However, when anti-vaxxers have an influence, and if there is one exposure, it can spread.  I do believe in personal choice, but I also believe in thinking of the welfare of others over yourself, as in doing things not in selfish ambition , but considering the interest of others.

But for the confident COVID vaccine injected--please temper your confidence and continue to be careful.  This isn't like you got fixed and can now just go all out into 1960's style adult parties!

But some things are good from this pandemic.  I personally am glad for the line spacing in ride queues.  I like my space.  

Oh, and for the record, I don't own a Speedo and never would.  LOL

we do... but transmission for Polio is a "little bit" different.  COVID is an airborne virus and transmits as easy as the Common Cold and Chicken Pox, for instance.  Common cold predominantly treated with therapeutics and over-the-counter, but still very present.  Chicken Pox is very contagious but mostly contained... they used to have chicken pox parties when I was younger- it's mostly uncommon and prevented by a vaccine.  COVID will probably land somewhere in between the those two.  Both are viruses that are still around, but risk-managed.  

Herd immunity, prescriptive medicine, and continual exposure to the extend its affect is blunted- will be the future.  Once this current wave is back below the Mendoza Line, over-protection needs to begin shifting to those who are most vulnerable and  those who are healthy otherwise let their immune systems work.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

There’s now a potential covid fatality case linked to WDW.

How is that linked to Walt Disney World? Lets assume they were on their way home from Disney World and the tweet has no proof of that. It takes about 14 days to show symptoms so they would have caught the virus before going to Disney World. Now could they have spread it at Disney World? Again highly unlikey due to Disney's Covid policies they have put into place.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

There’s now a potential covid fatality case linked to WDW.

There's not remotely enough detail here to read anything into it.

Someone flying from some unknown origin died on a flight.  Tragic indeed.

The family had "Disney bags".  Is that luggage, merch shop bags, or something else entirely?  They assume the family was flying from WDW, but they don't even say the plane departed from Orlando.

The poster claims a nurse was on the flight who determined it to be related to COVID-19?  Based on?

They were apparently allowed through the airport and onto the plane with "major" symptoms of COVID-19?  How did that happen?

But I digress.  Perhaps someone did visit WDW while infected with COVID-19, but this random post on Twitter is hardly darning evidence.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jimlaheyscar said:

I would imagine there were people with covid at amusement parks most every day they were open this year.  

Based on what we've heard of asymptomatic spread, it would not surprise me.  You really have to assume that someone has it everywhere you go, which is the purpose behind the physical distancing, masks, keeping hands clean, and other precautions we've been advised to take.

1 hour ago, jimlaheyscar said:

More info on the flight.  He was positive.  He did die.  Didn't read it all so unsure of what all he did in the Orlando area.  Can't imagine being on that flight.  Best of luck to all involved.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9071655/Photos-passengers-onboard-United-fight-complete-chaos-passengers.html

Yikes.  If they really did board the plane showing obvious symptoms, and signed off that they had no symptoms and hadn't tested postiive, this isn't a good look for the family, United, or anyone at the airport.

I can't imagine being a passenger on that flight.

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/k0O4qokpYs0

Found this interview on YouTube between Dennis Spiegel and Cedar Fair CEO Richard Zimmerman, where they discuss Cedar Fair’s handling of the COVID crisis and their thoughts on the future. It’s a lengthy interview but it has some fairly interesting information.

Something I found interesting was that Zimmerman mentioned that parks will probably be opening later in the spring than usual in 2021 (I’d assume that means sometime in May), and can’t quite figure out why they might be doing that. I’d though the parks would open at their usual times next year unless there are new restrictions or the COVID situation gets worse (which I don’t really see happening in the Spring barring a major vaccine setback).

• Like 2

My guess would be staffing. If international travel is still banned, since some parks rely heavily on internationals, particularly CP, that puts a hindrance on staffing for them. And during most normal opening seasons, schools are still in session so it's harder to draw local workers. But if it was referring to the chain as a whole, it could be talking about those with March openings, which isn't that far off from now and Carowinds and KD were in states with stricter guidelines. They may be waiting to see if some guidelines are relaxed or lifted by then.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Thabto said:

My guess would be staffing. If international travel is still banned, since some parks rely heavily on internationals, particularly CP, that puts a hindrance on staffing for them. And during most normal opening seasons, schools are still in session so it's harder to draw local workers. But if it was referring to the chain as a whole, it could be talking about those with March openings, which isn't that far off from now and Carowinds and KD were in states with stricter guidelines. They may be waiting to see if some guidelines are relaxed or lifted by then.

Even if King's Island does not open in April the park will not lose out on a lot of money. Prior to this past messed up Covid season the park usually only opens for 2 weekends in April. No Sundays at all and one of those fridays is a 5 hour passholder day. They could even make up for those lost days by adding Haunt weekdays. Early last year the plan was to add back lost operating days later in the year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Companies that I think will come out of this pandemic the least wounded are Disney and Universal. Cedar Fair, Herschend and I daresay Six Flags will survive but I think there will have to result in some liquidation of expensive and old attractions. Sea World on the other hand is a whole different story. The company is in some debt from all of their coaster installations this past year so it'll be interesting to see if they file for bankruptcy or not

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Companies that I think will come out of this pandemic the least wounded are Disney and Universal. Cedar Fair, Herschend and I daresay Six Flags will survive but I think there will have to result in some liquidation of expensive and old attractions. Sea World on the other hand is a whole different story. The company is in some debt from all of their coaster installations this past year so it'll be interesting to see if they file for bankruptcy or not

Hopefully nothing essential with KI gets iced because of the pandemic...

On 8/6/2020 at 2:12 PM, Gabe said:

even before COVID, FUN was not a good buy.  Its revenue stream is basically limited to theme parks open for 4-5 months a year.  I think 25 a share is high right now.  If it got down to 20, I might be inclined to purchase a bit and see if it can get up to 30-40 a share in a year or 2.  Otherwise, no thanks.

I am up 85% since this posting and made over $6800 currently right at 42...feels good to be right!  This will fund some season pass upgrades for me next season.  Buy looow!  :)

6 hours ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

I am up 85% since this posting and made over $6800 currently right at 42...feels good to be right!  This will fund some season pass upgrades for me next season.  Buy looow!  :)

I did about the same thing. Invested $1k when the stock bottomed out. I plan on keeping most of it however so hopefully the dividends will start rolling in. Might take a few years for the share price to return to normal (if it ever will).

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 12:05 PM, Outdoor Man said:

Oh, and a few posts ago- Disney's MK had passengers on all rows of their rides when we went in September. I don't think that's changed.

I can speak to this. 

When we reopened, all coasters were loading every other row. Rides like Soarin' and Flight of Passage were leaving empty seats between parties. Boat rides were one group per boat. I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the Omnimovers like Spaceship Earth were doing. 

We have now adjusted and the coasters *with high headrests* are loading every single row. This includes Slinky Dog Dash, Rock'n Roller Coaster, and us over here at Everest. 7 Dwarves Mine Train does not have a high seat back so last I heard they are loading every other row still. Flight of Passage is no longer leaving empty seats between parties.

(The reason we can do it with coasters that have high head rests between rows is because it counts as a barrier between guests. Similar to the plexiglass between you and a cashier)

• Like 2

Tbh I thought doing every other row on Diamondback was ridiculous especially since Orion was doing staggered seating and Diamondback is literally staggered seating. I hope they can at least load the trains as full as they can this year except they likely won't put two different parties together on Banshee and Orion or 2 single riders next to each other. I still think on Banshee and Orion they should at least allow a party of 4 to sit in the same row. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Tbh I thought doing every other row on Diamondback was ridiculous especially since Orion was doing staggered seating and Diamondback is literally staggered seating. I hope they can at least load the trains as full as they can this year except they likely won't put two different parties together on Banshee and Orion or 2 single riders next to each other. I still think on Banshee and Orion they should at least allow a party of 4 to sit in the same row. 

I noticed this as well. It might have been because it wasn't quite 6 feet. Also the only problem about having all 4 on Orion's trains is it wouldn't work out with anyone in a row in front or behind. It might work with Banshee however since the seat design creates a wall between you and the rows in front and behind you. If I remember correctly, were there two rows between each group on Flight of Fear, or just one? I feel like this might have due to the nature of the ride being indoors, but it just killed capacity even further on a ride already known for low capacity.

^ It's probably because of the cleaning policy.  More seats to clean means more time to wait.  (although the only people who benefit are the first train after the cleaning, and minimally after that because they resuse the same rags it seems all day long.  And scrubbing benefits cleaning more than a quick wipe, which is what they do).

14 hours ago, TTD-120-420 said:

I can speak to this. 

When we reopened, all coasters were loading every other row. Rides like Soarin' and Flight of Passage were leaving empty seats between parties. Boat rides were one group per boat. I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the Omnimovers like Spaceship Earth were doing. 

We have now adjusted and the coasters *with high headrests* are loading every single row. This includes Slinky Dog Dash, Rock'n Roller Coaster, and us over here at Everest. 7 Dwarves Mine Train does not have a high seat back so last I heard they are loading every other row still. Flight of Passage is no longer leaving empty seats between parties.

(The reason we can do it with coasters that have high head rests between rows is because it counts as a barrier between guests. Similar to the plexiglass between you and a cashier)

We're going back at the end of Feb.  I hear they've increased capacity- is that right?

I am eager to be vaccinated.  Just have to wait until I am able to get one.  I am a 36 year old and do not work in the healthcare field.  I might be waiting a while.  My sister in law already was vaccinated, my sister who is a RN is going to be vaccinated this week.

Hopefully supply increases, and people trust the vaccine.  I know of several people that will not get the vaccine because they do not trust it.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I am eager to be vaccinated.  Just have to wait until I am able to get one.  I am a 36 year old and do not work in the healthcare field.  I might be waiting a while.  My sister in law already was vaccinated, my sister who is a RN is going to be vaccinated this week.

Hopefully supply increases, and people trust the vaccine.  I know of several people that will not get the vaccine because they do not trust it.

My ex-wife who is a nurse got hers and she was fine. I am hoping working in education I will be up soon. 

• Like 1