Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Other than the 2 California parks, I'm very interested to see what Cedar Fair does for the covid rules. Masks, queue line rules, train cleaning interval and train capacity. With how desperate they seem on social media for hiring, big crowds are making me very nervous for the in park experience, regardless of what they decide on for the above issues. 

California is now allowing out-of-state residents to visit amusement parks with proof of being fully vaccinated or a negative test within 72 hours.
https://twitter.com/inparkmagazine/status/1384984248990326784?s=21

Got my second dose of the Moderna vaccine earlier today, feeling pretty tired and achey right now but at least I’ll be fully vaxxed and ready to go for coaster season in a few weeks. :)

• Like 3

It looks like the CDC might update outdoor mask guidance. Fauci today said of covid transmission outdoors, "when you look around at the common sense situation, the risk is really low, especially if you’re vaccinated". 

I guess that explains Indiana Beach last season. ;-)  But in all seriousness if KI can choose between the options I'd prefer full rides, no outdoor masks, but I am fine with socially distanced lines. But then I'm always fine with socially distanced lines for that matter as opposed to strangers riding up on me...lol. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

It looks like the CDC might update outdoor mask guidance. Fauci today said of covid transmission outdoors, "when you look around at the common sense situation, the risk is really low, especially if you’re vaccinated". 

I guess that explains Indiana Beach last season. ;-)  But in all seriousness if KI can choose between the options I'd prefer full rides, no outdoor masks, but I am fine with socially distanced lines. But then I'm always fine with socially distanced lines for that matter as opposed to strangers riding up on me...lol. 

If that's the case then I wonder when they'll put out the guidelines and if CF will follow them or keep the same rules in place. If I were to take a guess, if CF were to change the mask rules, it'd be like what I saw Dollywood is doing (masks not required when walking around the park, but required in the park entrance area, on rides, in queue lines, and in indoor buildings and while watching shows).

From https://www.visitkingsisland.com/welcoming-you-back

• There will be no limitations to ride capacity for most rides. 
  • Guests aged 10 years and older are required to wear face coverings while indoors, unless actively eating and drinking. Face coverings are not required outdoors unless it is not possible to maintain 6’ of social distancing.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I went to Dollywood yesterday and they have similar protocols. It was so freeing to not wear a mask on the midways. 

This 100%.  I was down in Pigeon Forge last week.  Their mask mandate expired on April 15, and very few of the businesses decided to keep their mask protocols in place there.  Walking into an establishment with no mask requirement for the first time in ages was one of the most refreshing things I've done in years. 

The difference in mood at the park will be palpable, and it will be MUCH more fun this year than most can imagine.  I just hope that employees aren't required to masks so that everyone can breathe freely!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Even Dr Fauchi said that the risk was minuscule for transmission in an outdoor, socially distanced setting.

That’s exactly the problem, “socially distant.” Even on the midway it is difficult to have 6 feet gaps between individuals and groups. You have folks that can’t wear a mask properly, now asking them to stay 6 feet apart? Good frickin luck

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, robt said:

That’s exactly the problem, “socially distant.” Even on the midway it is difficult to have 6 feet gaps between individuals and groups. You have folks that can’t wear a mask properly, now asking them to stay 6 feet apart? Good frickin luck

If one does not have to wear a mask how do you wear one improperly? You also forget many of us have been vaccinated.  Also i read somewhere that the science proves that you need to be standing within 6 feet of someone for x amount of minutes in order to really catch the virus outdoors. So just walking by someone on the midway should be safe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

Will CF parks allow people that want to wear masks to continue to do so?

I'm not ready to go mask free quite yet, even with what the CF parks are implying. 

I'm sure you won't find anyone that will tell you to remove a mask at any park. Honestly, I'm pretty certain that you won't be alone either. There's been a following built in mask wearing now that I think we will see for years to come. Flu seasons, cold seasons, etc, you will see people wearing their masks everywhere they go. 

14 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

I'm sure you won't find anyone that will tell you to remove a mask at any park. Honestly, I'm pretty certain that you won't be alone either. There's been a following built in mask wearing now that I think we will see for years to come. Flu seasons, cold seasons, etc, you will see people wearing their masks everywhere they go. 

There have been people in Asia that have been wearing masks for years since the SARS outbreak back in 2003.

We went last year, and the masks did not bother me one bit. If we got tired, they had the no-mask areas, but the only time I ever really found it an inconvenience was on one of the more intense roller coasters, like Orion, where I had to find a way to hold onto it for fear of it flying off. KI was one of the first places we ventured back to in the pandemic and I felt safe the entire time. Wearing a 1/2-inch fabric cloth doesn't really bother me, especially when it helps others. 

That said, I'm glad to see them pulling back on the requirement outdoors. We're fully vaccinated, so we're starting to breathe a bit easier about everything, and it will be nice just to see less masks from a relaxation standpoint. And I think it's absolutely possible to use the midways and walking areas at KI and maintain six-foot distance with others (plus, I'd reckon there's a greater risk with sustained contact, not merely passing by someone while walking outdoors). Queues are the only area where I would think it might be an issue, but I imagine they'll keep the placeholders to remind people to be distant. 

We're not planning to go until August (we love going that last week of operation, when the crowds are much lower). I assume that by then we'll see more of an impact from the vaccines and you'll start to see more restrictions pulled back. 

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Will CF parks allow people that want to wear masks to continue to do so?

I'm not ready to go mask free quite yet, even with what the CF parks are implying. 

There’s no way they’d tell you to remove a mask. In fact, masks are still recommended outside, just not required. You’re free to wear it if you desire and no employees will stop you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimlaheyscar said:

You really think the park is going to forbid you from wearing a mask?

I was mostly thinking it with on-ride policies.  I'm prepared to keep wearing my mask on rides, especially if they're going back to full loading capacity.   I'm not high risk anymore, but I live with people who still are, even with the vaccine.  

• Like 1

The mask doesn’t help you but it helps from you spreading to others by cutting down the droplets in the air. So you will still be a threat to those  high risk you live with .

With this CP decision, GP leaving masks at home and will pass and be nearer than 6 feet. Send your pictures over the next several weeks, very interested to see y’all’s observations 

Wonder when CF will implement the new 3 foot social distancing?  Interesting development -

“In a new study released earlier this week, the University of Central Florida (UCF) and International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) concluded that theme parks could safely lower physical distancing requirements from six feet to three feet.”

28 minutes ago, robt said:

The mask doesn’t help you but it helps from you spreading to others by cutting down the droplets in the air. So you will still be a threat to those  high risk you live with .

With this CP decision, GP leaving masks at home and will pass and be nearer than 6 feet. Send your pictures over the next several weeks, very interested to see y’all’s observations 

Anybody high risk that you may live with should already have the vaccine. If not that is on them. With the vaccine, odds are extremely high that they are safe. Also this is not a CP decision. It is a Cedar Fair decision. What do you have against GP? Are you saying "Thoosies" are less likely to break Cedar Fair's rules or maybe less likely to break your made up rules than say the "GP" are? I doubt anyone is leaving masks at home either as you still need them anywhere indoors. Are you telling me the "GP will not be using the restroom, or riding Boo Blasters or Flight of Fear or walking in the FestHaus for food or shopping? I have also pointed out your errors in your 6 feet guests walking by statement in a previous post too. The science proves you need to be standing within 6 feet of someone for so many minutes in order to catch the virus. So besides the fact that it is very hard to catch outdoors the chance of someone catching it from a stranger simply walking by is slim to none. It is not dangerous to just simply walk by someone outdoors maskless.

Also you just did what IndyGuy asked us not to do 2 posts above yours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robt said:

I don't think they'll be able to leave their masks at home since they are still required indoors like in indoor food stands and rides like FOF and Boo blasters

• Like 1