Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

4 minutes ago, jsus said:

It wouldn't be hard to enforce, because it's really bloody simple, except that Cedar Fair rarely enforces anything that doesn't directly cost them money..

Outside: Default not required.  In close proximity to other guests or park associates (6')?  Put on your mask.

Inside: Default required.  Dining in a designated area, take it off only at your table and put it back on any time you leave the table.

mask RECOMMENDED on rides.  you are sitting within 3 feet of people.  

One area of confusion/disagreement is that of TIME of close contact to be considered exposure.

Last year I remember hearing about  “close contact” with a COVID positive person being 15 consecutive minutes, then 15 cumulative minutes in a 24 hour period. I’ve not heard much mention about that since. And I was never clear if those minutes applied to outside (presumably more than 15 minutes).

Interestingly, yesterday I saw this quote from Cedar Point:

“In addition to continued guidance from health professionals, none of our rides are long enough to meet the criteria that’s been established by the CDC as consistent exposure,” -Tony Clark

So while I still am personally not 100% clear on the current CDC guidance, we can infer Cedar Fair’s understanding of what duration of outdoor exposure is safe. 

That said, their policies do vary by state (see Kings Dominion) and certainly by country (see Canada’s Wonderland).

There is quite a spectrum in policy among amusement parks, and now sports teams (Braves and LSU).

I’m looking forward to enjoying this season at KI, masks or not. :^)

^^Canada's Wonderland is in a position where the Ontario government is basically playing around with them pretending that amusement parks are dangerous and super spreaders while all evidence and data prove otherwise. Plus, the Reds opening day crowd at the DORA downtown that caused all these alarms to sound by Dewine and people caused absolutely no outbreak traced back to it: https://www.wcpo.com/news/coronavirus/hamilton-county-health-leaders-saw-no-increases-in-covid-19-cases-since-dora-launch 

• Like 2

Mask or no mask, I will enjoy my time at the amusement parks this year.  However, do not ask if I have been vaccinated.  HIPAA has been severely violated from this.  I would rather know someone beside me has been vaccinated from measles, mumps, rubella, or other more lethal viruses than Covid, but that is a HIPAA violation to ask.  So should the Covid vaccine.  Numbers look like they are dropping in many places, and it doesn't seem amusement parks or places outside are really spreading this virus.  

Stay home if you are not comfortable, go out and enjoy if you are.  In any way, make the best of your time and life.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Got my second shot of the phizer yesterday.  I felt a little off for a few hours but other than a sore arm felt fine quickly.  Little off topic but figured id give my anecdotal data for anyone curious or on the fence about the vaccines.  I will never presch to anyone, do to your body what you see fit to do to your body.  I am just looking forward to an awesome, more normal season.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, alsoran said:

Mask or no mask, I will enjoy my time at the amusement parks this year.  However, do not ask if I have been vaccinated.  HIPAA has been severely violated from this.  I would rather know someone beside me has been vaccinated from measles, mumps, rubella, or other more lethal viruses than Covid, but that is a HIPAA violation to ask.  So should the Covid vaccine.  Numbers look like they are dropping in many places, and it doesn't seem amusement parks or places outside are really spreading this virus.  

Stay home if you are not comfortable, go out and enjoy if you are.  In any way, make the best of your time and life.

Explain what HIPAA violations have happened. I'm confused. How is asking someone if they got a covid shot a HIPAA violation? How is someone randomly telling people they got it without being asked a violation?What makes those things you mentioned more "lethal" than covid? Where is your science and data to back up that claim?

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, alsoran said:

Asking if you've been vaccinated is NOT I repeat NOT a violation of HIPAA.  HIPAA only governs your clinician, a hospital or others that provide your health care.  I can't believe the number of people that believe this.  My wife is a nurse and has her masters in research.  If a nurse or doctor tells you about a patient's health information without the patients consent, THAT is a violation of HIPAA.

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/who-has-a-right-to-ask-if-youre-vaccinated

https://www.vox.com/recode/22363011/hipaa-not-hippa-explained-health-privacy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I will not reveal either way.  My body my choice, I am guessing most on here are pro choice, as you are so pro vaccine, as this is the complete answer to this virus.  I am not a scientist, nor do I spend hours upon hours by doing research for old numbers.  We have vaccinations for the old viruses that have been proven and approved.  These 3 available here are allowed, but not approved.  It takes years to completely develop a vaccine that can be guaranteed.  But, I guess we are a bunch of experts here.  I have stated an opinion, that is apparently farther right then what most want to hear.  I will keep my comments to myself from now on, since everyone wants to take everything to serious.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

11 hours ago, alsoran said:

I will not reveal either way.  My body my choice, I am guessing most on here are pro choice, as you are so pro vaccine, as this is the complete answer to this virus.  I am not a scientist, nor do I spend hours upon hours by doing research for old numbers.  We have vaccinations for the old viruses that have been proven and approved.  These 3 available here are allowed, but not approved.  It takes years to completely develop a vaccine that can be guaranteed.  But, I guess we are a bunch of experts here.  I have stated an opinion, that is apparently farther right then what most want to hear.  I will keep my comments to myself from now on, since everyone wants to take everything to serious.  

It's not a right or left thing it's a SCIENCE thing.  I was merely pointing out the facts.  Hours of research isn't the answer as I found the articles in a simple google search.  Understanding the vaccine is serious because the disease is serious (3,000,000+ deaths worldwide, 590,000+ in the US).  Not sure where you're getting that they are not approved, they all received emergency approval.  (https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-vaccines)  Both Moderna and Phizer are mRNA vaccines, not your traditional vaccine.  mRNA vaccine research has been going on for decades and the ability to react to a new virus was seen in the current vaccines.  (https://www.oligotherapeutics.org/facts-about-mrna-vaccines-and-the-decades-of-research-that-went-into-creating-them/) They went through rigorous tests as well (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-did-we-develop-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-quickly#Rigorous-guidelines-for-clinical-trials).

My intention was to inform.  Not just you but others who may see your statement and want to be informed of the facts.  Information is power.  Facts are important.  I try to reference sites that are scientific in nature (nothing from Fox, MSNBC or CNN).  Just remember there are anti-vaxers out there that don't believe in the vaccines you would consider guaranteed.  They are basing their beliefs on rumors that were spread at the start of those vaccine roll-outs.  I'm just trying to dispose of the rumor's before we have this same problem with the COVID vaccine in the future.

When people don't get vaccinated they allow the virus a chance to mutate.  If a new vaccine resistant strain get's a chance to spread then we'll be back in the same situation we were last year with restrictions on Theme Parks, etc. and I think we can ALL agree we don't want that.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, robintodd said:

It's not a right or left thing it's a SCIENCE thing.  I was merely pointing out the facts.  Hours of research isn't the answer as I found the articles in a simple google search.  Understanding the vaccine is serious because the disease is serious (3,000,000+ deaths worldwide, 590,000+ in the US).  Not sure where you're getting that they are not approved, they all received emergency approval.  (https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-vaccines)  Both Moderna and Phizer are mRNA vaccines, not your traditional vaccine.  mRNA vaccine research has been going on for decades and the ability to react to a new virus was seen in the current vaccines.  (https://www.oligotherapeutics.org/facts-about-mrna-vaccines-and-the-decades-of-research-that-went-into-creating-them/) They went through rigorous tests as well (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-did-we-develop-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-quickly#Rigorous-guidelines-for-clinical-trials).

My intention was to inform.  Not just you but others who may see your statement and want to be informed of the facts.  Information is power.  Facts are important.  I try to reference sites that are scientific in nature (nothing from Fox, MSNBC or CNN).  Just remember there are anti-vaxers out there that don't believe in the vaccines you would consider guaranteed.  They are basing their beliefs on rumors that were spread at the start of those vaccine roll-outs.  I'm just trying to dispose of the rumor's before we have this same problem with the COVID vaccine in the future.

When people don't get vaccinated they allow the virus a chance to mutate.  If a new vaccine resistant strain get's a chance to spread then we'll be back in the same situation we were last year with restrictions on Theme Parks, etc. and I think we can ALL agree we don't want that.

People have turned it into a political thing unfortunately.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, robintodd said:

On December 11, 2020, the FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. On December 18, 2020, the FDA issued an EUA for the use of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine. And on February 27, 2021 the FDA issued an EUA for the use of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine. The issuance of an EUA is different than an FDA approval (licensure) of a vaccine.

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=On December 11%2C 2020,COVID-19 Vaccine.

Maybe I missed something, but this does not say approved, but given an Emergency Use Authorization.  I guess I am ignorant, I am ok with that.  But, there is absolutely no reason that these vaccines need to be mandatory or even used for level of admittance.  I am sorry I post my opinion for others to question, as you should, but realize we are in a place now where there is no good place to get a true and believable answer for anything.  Most of our news channels are left or right, so now where do we go to get answers.  Use some intelligence and question everything.  I wish this would not have turned into the debate it has, because I feel there may be some taking this wrong, but that is not meant.  

I stand corrected.  No approval yet (which just keeps it from being sold to individuals or sold by private companies, it must be distributed through specific channels).  I assure you I have intelligence and personal attacks are not required.  As I stated I'm simply wanting to inform.  Seems like you don't like to see anything that you don't agree with.  The truth is out there, you just have to look for it.  Again, I pulled nothing from a news channel or some guy with a bow tie who admittingly in court has an opinion show not a news show.  There is no debate.  You may not believe in the virus, but the virus believes in you.  As far as requiring a vaccine for admittance, last time I checked this was America where capitalism is an accepted thing.  A business may run any way with any rules it sees fit.  If you don't like the rules, don't support the business.  Discussion and debate is what we need more of in my opinion.  We all agree on certain things and disagree on others.  It's called being human.  The ability to have an intellectual debate and sharing of ideas as well as having the freedom to do so is what makes this country very special indeed.  You showed me there is a difference between emergency use and approval, hopefully you learned something as well.  It's the only way we grow.

Cheers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robintodd said:

I stand corrected.  No approval yet (which just keeps it from being sold to individuals or sold by private companies, it must be distributed through specific channels).  I assure you I have intelligence and personal attacks are not required.  As I stated I'm simply wanting to inform.  Seems like you don't like to see anything that you don't agree with.  The truth is out there, you just have to look for it.  Again, I pulled nothing from a news channel or some guy with a bow tie who admittingly in court has an opinion show not a news show.  There is no debate.  You may not believe in the virus, but the virus believes in you.  As far as requiring a vaccine for admittance, last time I checked this was America where capitalism is an accepted thing.  A business may run any way with any rules it sees fit.  If you don't like the rules, don't support the business.  Discussion and debate is what we need more of in my opinion.  We all agree on certain things and disagree on others.  It's called being human.  The ability to have an intellectual debate and sharing of ideas as well as having the freedom to do so is what makes this country very special indeed.  You showed me there is a difference between emergency use and approval, hopefully you learned something as well.  It's the only way we grow.

Cheers.

I am sorry if you feel this was a personal attack, it is not.  However, I have seen many times on this forum where it does look like many attacks on one another, maybe it is because we are typing thing and not speaking them.  I have stated opinions many times and came under severe accusations many times.  I very rarely post much because of this.  I am just a firm believer that requesting vaccination before entry is a lawsuit like a McDonalds hot coffee in the making.  The point is, why ask just for COVID, when the other virus's from old are just as deadly, and in my personal opinion, even more so.  We have better treatment for all of these now, so we should be well.  

Discussion and debate is exactly what we need, but it is hard to do on a site like this without thinking we are attacked.  Maybe I come off bold and high and mighty, but I assure you that is far from who I truly am.  I will always listen to others.  I may not agree, but will listen and may give my 2 cents right or wrong.  I have been proven wrong before, many times, and I do accept that.  

Like you said, none of us are like another, and we all have different opinions.  Yes, the virus is real, and it is very harmful.  I have friends who have had it, and have friends that have lost their lives from it.  However I have personally witnessed at least 2 deaths from friends that I am sure were marked as COVID deaths that may not have been and that makes me question everything about this.  One died of a blood clot in her lung, and was told from the hospital that is was COVID, and the doctor stated there was a 0% possibility a week later, I doubt that changed the number.  The other was a friend that had a heart attack, pneumonia, and many other factors to his death, but tested positive for COVID.  Why do we need to buff up the numbers to put fear into others.

I am done, Cedar Fair has done a great job as there has not been any outbreaks from Cedar Fair that I know of.  Are they extreme, maybe in my opinion, but they also have to go by other state guidelines and have done a wonderful job.  Have a great day all.

My fear is these restrictions will be permanent.  I went to Tennessee 3 weeks ago.  They have no mandate, no one was wearing them, their governor did not have a daily talk show spreading fear.  I felt free.  That being said, I am not dismissing the severity of this.  I have been in deep thought for the last few years, especially this past year.  I had a family member in my car January 2020 who I thought was going to die in my back seat before we got to the hospital.  Since he didn't have insurance, he was sent home, and it was labeled a "virus".  I did not wear a mask that day and had no problems.  I know 3 people personally who have died from it.  As long as masks are required, I dont plan to go anywhere.  I can't tolerate them due to breathing issues, and I'm personally tired of being chastised.  I'm really glad I got to experience the world before all this.  Being on house arrest is it's own special hell.  And that is all I will say about this....

As of 4/26, a few numbers from the CDC….
Over 95 million fully vaccinated
9245 documented “breakthrough” cases
2525 asymptomatic
835 hospitalized
132 deaths.

So once vaccinated…
0.01% chance of getting it.
0.002% chance of having it and not knowing it
0.0009% chance of being hospitalized
0.0001% chance of dying from it.

• Like 2

I'm starting to look forward to the start of the season... almost. The issue I have this year, is the same as last. The social climate that has developed in this country makes me sick. Last year is was masks, this year it's vaccines. The main reason why I have a little more excitement this year than last, is that the vaccine isn't displayed for everyone to see, so the arguing shouldn't be as frequent... shouldn't be at least. 

On 4/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, alsoran said:

Covid is not lethal? Have you been living in a cave? I suppose you are one of those "Covid is no worse than the flu" people. There are tons of people that have serious side effects a YEAR after contacting this disease. The long term health effects will not be known for some time. Downplaying this virus is not helpful.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, presto123 said:

Covid is not lethal? Have you been living in a cave? I suppose you are one of those "Covid is no worse than the flu" people. There are tons of people that have serious side effects a YEAR after contacting this disease. The long term health effects will not be known for some time. Downplaying this virus is not helpful.

Maybe you misunderstood my post, I never said COVID is not lethal.  People have lost lives and many have lost loved ones.  I have lost friends, and I have seen friends struggle with this and survive.  I have seen others get the sniffles and have not issues whatsoever with this.  I don't believe I have ever downplayed this, but not sure why this has been so up-played if you will. 

Facts from numbers say I have a 99.98% survival rate.  They have stated that the allowed vaccines are 86% effective.  I am not sure where saying I will not admit whether I have had the vaccine for this is downplaying it, or if it was saying I would rather know the others around me are not going to pass on Measles, Mumps, or something like Polio. 

DeWine will be ending all Ohio COVID-19 restrictions (mask mandate, capacity limits, etc.) three weeks from today on June 2nd.
https://news.wosu.org/coronavirus/2021-05-12/gov-dewine-to-give-statewide-address-on-covid-19-vaccination-effort

I predict Kings Island/Cedar Fair will probably keep indoor mask rules in place until the CDC says it’s safe to lift them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

I predict Kings Island/Cedar Fair will probably keep indoor mask rules in place until the CDC says it’s safe to lift them.

Kings Island and Cedar Point will have to decide whether its worth it to kick people out of the park for not wearing masks after DeWine said today, "Each Ohio citizen will make their own decision about wearing a mask, social distancing, how to protect themselves and when, for them, those actions are appropriate".

He did say business is free to make their own rules, but...that comes with a price.