Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 hours ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

DeWine will be ending all Ohio COVID-19 restrictions (mask mandate, capacity limits, etc.) three weeks from today on June 2nd.
https://news.wosu.org/coronavirus/2021-05-12/gov-dewine-to-give-statewide-address-on-covid-19-vaccination-effort

I predict Kings Island/Cedar Fair will probably keep indoor mask rules in place until the CDC says it’s safe to lift them.

I mean the CDC recommends mask wearing in crowded outdoor spaces and the park didn’t follow that suggestion. Most business so far seem to require masks indoor but that all can quickly change once more states drop the mask mandate.

I hope we get similar action in Kentucky. I went to KK for opening day and they were still running rides at half capacity and had several attractions closed. Both of these things were previously said not to be taking place by the new management so I am sure it is not by choice. 

7 minutes ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

Hersheypark is no longer requiring masks and social distancing for fully vaccinated guests. Sounds cool but I wonder how they’re supposed to enforce this?

3912B36B-B8F5-4E6C-BD68-0DD35633C2E1.jpeg

Spoiler alert it won’t. Based off the wording of the tweet I assume masks also won’t be required indoors. It’ll be interesting to see how quickly other parks follow suit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

I think we've entered the stage of 'get a vaccine or take your own risk'. Which is totally fair at this point. Nobody over 12 can complain about vaccine availability, appointments are available in abundance.

Precisely my take on the matter as well. "We've offered the vaccine, it's widely available, if you want it, get it, if you don't don't. If you want to say you did but didn't, you might end up sick." 

• Like 3

From comments made by Bob Chapek during yesterday's earnings call and an interview with CNBC, masks will most likely be dropping at Walt Disney World at some point this summer.  Looks good for our July 17 trip to WDW!!

https://wdwnt.com/2021/05/ceo-bob-chapek-confirms-walt-disney-world-mask-policy-will-change-this-summer/

Edit: Universal Orlando dropping outdoor masks starting tomorrow, 5/15!

https://wdwnt.com/2021/05/breaking-universal-orlando-resort-no-longer-requiring-guests-to-wear-masks-outdoors-starting-tomorrow/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The CDC is now saying that fully vaccinated individuals should go back to wearing masks indoors in areas with high levels of transmission due to the Delta variant. I wonder if KI and any other parks will reinstate indoor mask mandates because of this. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/27/cdc-to-reverse-indoor-mask-policy-to-recommend-them-for-fully-vaccinated-people-in-covid-hot-spots.html

• Sad 2

I highly doubt it.  Compliance in general at businesses dropped off as time went on even when masks were still mandated by the state or local government.

That ship has sailed and will take a lot worse than what we went through before we will see government mandates again...best case all we will see are strong recommendations along with certain cities implementing mandates, but I do not see it at the state level at this point.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I highly doubt it.  Compliance in general at businesses dropped off as time went on even when masks were still mandated by the state or local government.

That ship has sailed and will take a lot worse than what we went through before we will see government mandates again...best case all we will see are strong recommendations along with certain cities implementing mandates, but I do not see it at the state level at this point.

Plus, at this point we have the vaccine. People who are vaxed are not dying. Everyone is empowered to help themselves now. That was not really the case before.

• Like 1

With the newer law allowing the General Assembly to reject state or health orders, I don't see a mask mandate coming. Now whether the parks decide to require indoors, I really don't know. It'd probably be bad for business considering we're coming close to season pass renewal time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A surge of COVID-19 infections in Erie County is being traced back to several places that saw multiple cases recently, including Cedar Point

A year ago this story would be a big deal; now it is just background noise, but I guess this "counts" as being connected to an amusement park...I doubt Cedar Point will see a reduction in attendance as a result of this announcement by the Erie County Health Department.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

A surge of COVID-19 infections in Erie County is being traced back to several places that saw multiple cases recently, including Cedar Point

A year ago this story would be a big deal; now it is just background noise, but I guess this "counts" as being connected to an amusement park...I doubt Cedar Point will see a reduction in attendance as a result of this announcement by the Erie County Health Department.

Headline trying really hard to make it sound like Cedar Point is a hotspot/cause of transmission, when in fact 4 employees tested positive, for whatever random reasons that aren't detailed. *Shrugs*

3 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Headline trying really hard to make it sound like Cedar Point is a hotspot/cause of transmission, when in fact 4 employees tested positive, for whatever random reasons that aren't detailed. *Shrugs*

When doesn't a headline sensationalize LOL. 

But, yeah, 4 out of how many thousand that are employed up there?  They probably have more quit or get fired or don't show up for work in a day than 4 LOL.  Probably one of the reasons why this hasn't gone viral mainstream media (yet anyway).  Give it time.

• Like 2

These theme parks removed ALL covid precautions this year.   In Ohio. 95% of people are unmasked while only about 50% are vaccinated.    The odds aren’t good for the unvaccinated to be safe.  

The rush to remove masks and social distancing is going to be regretted 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, super7 said:

The rush to remove masks and social distancing is going to be regretted 

The worst part is the new delta is infecting the younger kids who have not been able to get a vaccine yet. Previously, they fought it off easily or were asymptomatic. 

Our children's hospital in Indy is full. 

• Sad 3

40 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

The worst part is the new delta is infecting the younger kids who have not been able to get a vaccine yet. Previously, they fought it off easily or were asymptomatic. 

Our children's hospital in Indy is full. 

Doesn’t surprise me. In Texas, the ICUs in the children hospitals are filled.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, JimParker85 said:

The uptick in symptomatic/serious cases with Delta in children is the most difficult part of the current situation, IMO. With basically 100% of kids under 12 unvaccinated, it makes me very concerned about the fall/winter, in addition to where we are already at. 

The good news is that only 354 kids 0-17 have actually died from Covid in 2020-2021. Out of the 2,542,612 deaths in the US thus far (per the Johns Hopkins website), 2,542,258 of them were 18 or older. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

The good news is that only 354 kids 0-17 have actually died from Covid in 2020-2021. Out of the 2,542,612 deaths in the US thus far (per the Johns Hopkins website), 2,542,258 of them were 18 or older. Fingers crossed.

Yes but children’s hospitals shouldn’t be full of patients with this virus. 

This could have all been over if those eligible would have gotten vaccinated.   It’s a bigger mess now because hardly anyone is wearing masks, thanks to the CDC removing mask and distancing  guidance too early. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, super7 said:

Yes but children’s hospitals shouldn’t be full of patients with this virus. 

This could have all been over if those eligible would have gotten vaccinated.   It’s a bigger mess now because hardly anyone is wearing masks, thanks to the CDC removing mask and distancing  guidance too early. 

This may sound bad, but, many of the vaccinated are now getting the virus.  The vaccinated can carry the virus asymptomatic and can still get sick with it.  It seems very hard to blame the unvaccinated at this time.  This is only my opinion.  

3 minutes ago, alsoran said:

This may sound bad, but, many of the vaccinated are now getting the virus.  The vaccinated can carry the virus asymptomatic and can still get sick with it.  It seems very hard to blame the unvaccinated at this time.  This is only my opinion.  

While yes breakthrough cases can happen. No vaccine is 100% effective. At least 90% of hospitalizations in pretty much every state are from the unvaccinated. 

Source: UNM Health Sciences

FB_IMG_1629038726804.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

While yes breakthrough cases can happen. No vaccine is 100% effective. At least 90% of hospitalizations in pretty much every state are from the unvaccinated. 

Source: UNM Health Sciences

FB_IMG_1629038726804.jpg

Even if you have a breakthrough infection, chances are it will be a very mild case of COVID-19. About 97% of the people in hospitals for COVID-19 are people that are unvaccinated. Obviously, children under the age of 12 are not eligible to be vaccinated at this time, but there are still many eligible people out there that aren’t vaccinated. There is a reason why states with lower vaccination rates are seeing spikes larger than states with higher vaccination rates. In June, it seemed like we were finally coming out of the pandemic, but since vaccination rates weren’t high enough to reach herd immunity, mutated strains like the Delta Variant have been allowed to move through the population. Now it feels like the United States is moving backwards from our earlier progress. At this time, vaccination is the best way to get back on track.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/16/1017012853/97-of-people-entering-hospitals-for-covid-19-are-unvaccinated

• Like 2