Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

The answer to the age 20-49 age group probably involves the things you both mention.  It may involve greater numbers of tests in that group as a result of needing to be cleared for work.  It may just be a reversion to the mean from earlier numbers where older populations initially had a higher proportion of the positive tests.  It will be interesting to see what information comes out about this later on.

The age 20-49 positive test numbers increase also likely explains why the mortality rate continues to come down despite the higher numbers of positive COVID tests.  That group simply isn't being affected by the virus the same way that older populations are.  Their hospitalization numbers back that up.  One of the things that you don't hear about is that the overall infection mortality rate is very close to coming back down below the epidemic threshold from the CDC (if the numbers drop again next week it will be below that level).  Also, a quote from the CDC:

The percentage of outpatient and emergency department visits for ILI (influenza like illness) are below baseline nationally and in all regions of the country

The fact that we're not hearing this information is really troubling.  It's sad that so many people now only see each other as walking biohazards.  When was the last time you saw a person smile at you in public?  There has to be a point at which rational, sound, data-driven decisions have to start being made.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gad198 said:

The age 20-49 positive test numbers increase also likely explains why the mortality rate continues to come down despite the higher numbers of positive COVID tests.  

Back in March, April, and even early May it looked like almost nobody under-30 was testing positive. Trying to recall, but it was like 0.9% of positives were 0-19, and maybe 2% were 20-30. They simply weren't getting it---or so we thought. Now we know they were getting it, and just weren't getting tested. Which is also why the lockdown didn't work. We had NO IDEA who had it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, disco2000 said:

As an update, City of Cincinnati passed a mandatory mask policy going into effect July 9th for areas indoors in public or congregate settings, including government buildings, retail stores and on public transportation.

Did they make a deal with Covid so they could have a week to get ready?

• Haha 2

Now we know they were getting it, and just weren't getting tested. Which is also why the lockdown didn't work. We had NO IDEA who had it.

And that is one of the many reasons why so many experts were calling for tests.  The data from the testing was valuable.  The tests aren't perfect, but combined with the other data we have available should help decision makers to see a more clear picture.  I will say this.  Quarantining or locking down healthy people has never been a sensible medical strategy.

I didn't know this until this week, but apparently asymptomatic transmission of the seasonal flu is high also.  The lowest estimate I've seen is 50% of all seasonal flu cases are asymptomatic.  Seasonally, anywhere from 5%-20% of the population gets the flu each year.  I would imagine that the numbers for COVID will likely be in a similar range if not a little higher.  What are we going to do when seasonal flu rolls around this year?  

7 minutes ago, gad198 said:

I didn't know this until this week, but apparently asymptomatic transmission of the seasonal flu is high also.  The lowest estimate I've seen is 50% of all seasonal flu cases are asymptomatic.  Seasonally, anywhere from 5%-20% of the population gets the flu each year.  I would imagine that the numbers for COVID will likely be in a similar range if not a little higher.  What are we going to do when seasonal flu rolls around this year?  

Probably hide in our homes because the news will fire up the death scoreboards and continue peddling the fear 

And wait til people realize the flu kills way more kids than covid ever did. It will make all school decisions look asinine when looking back at covid. 

7 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

This is a tri state, you're gonna be hearing a lot from Indiana as well as Ohio and Kentucky.

If I understand, Kentucky is doing pretty well right now based on rules and stuff. Literally the judge is vetoing all the regulations from the health team there. I don’t really know if it’s a good thing or not because Kentucky is not doing as bad as other states. It is a good thing for theme parks though.

24 minutes ago, jimlaheyscar said:

But, this will be good for grades schools since the flu actually kills kids.

Yeah, I remember when I was in high school that during one school year where schools closed for about a week because of a bad seasonal flu outbreak.  It's certainly nothing to play around with.  But schools don't enact extreme, non-scientific-based measures to combat seasonal flu. 

We know from the data that COVID simply doesn't affect the overwhelming majority of grade school aged kids (1 in 20,000 chance of hospitalization!).  We also know that children are extremely unlikely to pass COVID on to others, including adults (i.e., teachers).  Countries that have reopened grade schools have yet to see increases in cases as a result.  Does it make sense to apply more drastic measures to deal with COVID in schools when we know it's much less dangerous to children?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gad198 said:

Does it make sense to apply more drastic measures to deal with COVID in schools when we know it's much less dangerous to children?  

But those children, who it doesn't usually affect badly will be going home to their parents, who, according to statistics are usually older. ;)

• Like 1

True.  But notice the following (Source):

Nonetheless, the overall trend emerging from the evidence to date suggests that children have a limited role in spreading the virus.

and (Source):

SARS-CoV-2 transmission in children in schools appears considerably less than seen for other respiratory viruses, including influenza.  In contrast to influenza, data from both virus and antibody testing to date suggest that children are not the primary drivers of the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in schools or in the community.

1 hour ago, gad198 said:

That is unfortunate, especially if those workers are in a high-risk group.  The article also states that each of the six was wearing a mask.  Six is hardly a large sample size, but still...

True. There’s a lot more questions than answers in the article. The fact they are asking guests to consider themselves a low priority risk to exposure leads me to believe that these workers interacted with guests.

Has anyone with hearing issues had problems communicating with employees yet? I'm not deaf but depending on the mix of background noise and no lips to read it's more noticeable to myself. Of the couple I've encountered 1 seemed  to understand pointing to my ear meant I couldn't hear what they were saying and spoke louder. The other my husband had to repeat what they said. Hopefully it was just me needing to readjust to the background noise and learn to filter it out more as the day goes on. 

We finally go back today, so we'll see. There's also already people at the yellow gates before 8am this morning. 

It's interesting that you mention that @PatchesC... one of (few) problems i have with wearing masks is that a lot of people's voices sound muffled (especially behind that plexiglass).I have hearing loss in my right ear and wear a hearing aid most of the time (one of the exceptions being at Kings Island). I specifically remember going to get my car worked on a month or two ago and I couldn't really hear the guy who was processing my order once my car was ready. It was weird as I couldn't move closer because of the glass and social distancing, so I only half-heard what he was saying. I got the transaction done no problem, but still.

Also, I've noticed that as a whole, smaller stores (small as in size, not whether they are a chain or not) are doing better at this mask/social distancing than others. I know this new normal is going to take some getting used to for businesses and the general public, but from my limited experince (I try not to go out much), the places i've felt most comfortable in so far are Big League Haircuts, Half Price Books, Whole Foods, and Fresh Market. As they say, we're all in this together! :D

Also, Happy 4th! 

Those of you that are adamant on mask wearing, I have a few questions for you...

1. After you put your mask on, do you touch it, even just once?

2. Do you ever wear it just below the nose?

3. (For men) Do you have any facial hair? 

If you answered yes to any of these, your mask is rendered completely useless. Don't preach to me about wearing a mask, when you can't wear one properly. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CedarIslander said:

Those of you that are adamant on mask wearing, I have a few questions for you...

If you answered yes to any of these, your mask is rendered completely useless. Don't preach to me about wearing a mask, when you can't wear one properly. 

Completely? Nope sorry.. proven false. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, CedarIslander said:

1. Not ideal, but it really doesn't render the mask useless as the purpose of a mask is to reduce the travel of respiratory droplets. It doesn't cease being able to do that the instant it's touched. What happens when you touch your mask is that your hands may become contaminated, however, the moment you wash or sanitize your hands, it's effectively as if you never touched your mask at all.

2. Obviously that's not ideal, but it still effectively stops respiratory droplets that exit via the mouth in this situation, and becomes completely effective once again the instant it's placed back above the nose. For sure, doing this reduces a mask's effectiveness, but it doesn't reduce it to zero and it certainly doesn't reduce it permanently. Not even close.

3. This is only relevant for N95 masks, which are only meant to be used in contaminated environments and are meant to protect the wearer, not the individuals around them. Surgical-style or cloth masks are meant to protect others around you. If someone is out and about wearing an N95 mask, they are likely wearing it wrong anyway as they have to be properly fitted and by choosing to wear an N95 mask, they are also demonstrating that they missed the entire point of wearing a mask in public.

The purpose of a mask is not to stop the virus from getting through but rather to stop the transmission of respiratory droplets. However, since the virus travels predominately via respiratory droplets, the end result is that stopping the transmission of the droplets almost entirely eliminates transmission of the virus.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Those masks do not protect the wearer from any virus. Nobody has ever claimed that they do. If you think that the purpose of wearing a mask is to protect you, the wearer, then again, you are demonstrating that you've missed the entire point. They protect the other people around you. They can stop you from expelling droplets. They cannot stop you from touching a contaminated surface and then touching your face, thus, the warning on the box is accurate, but not relevant to the conversation that anybody is actually having.

But do go on believing that they don't do anything. You might want to inform all the surgeons of the world that they've been doing their job incorrectly for several decades, though since medical professionals universally wear exactly that style of mask during their procedures.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CedarIslander said:

No (I touch the straps only), No (and I have a nose band to form it to my nostril) and finally No.  My wife is a nurse so she has custom sewn our masks.  I have about 10 of them for different occasions and I also to allow washing of them after wearing.  With her working in a hospital I make sure to wear it out in public to protect others.  Having a gator mask is better than nothing.  It's the "spittle" this is the biggest issue.  

Some are adamant about wearing a seat belt.  Here is an article on how to properly wear one: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-wear-your-seat-belt-properly-by-jason-unrau.  Method 1 step 6 is a rather exact example.

"Step 6: Adjust the shoulder belt to your body. Adjust the seat belt every time you wear your seat belt to make sure it fits you well.
The ideal placement for the shoulder belt is to have it cross your body at your collarbone.
Adjust the seat belt height on the pillar if there is an adjustment in your vehicle.
Alternatively, if you have a seat height adjustment, you can raise or lower the seat height to compensate for the seat belt location on your shoulder."

I admit I've not done this each time, but wearing the belt is better than not wearing it at all and still saves lives.  (Some people probably didn't even know that adjustment was there).

Even if someone is wearing a mask improperly they should be given credit for trying.  Instead of telling others what to and not to do, maybe informing the public of proper mask wearing is a much more fruitful venture.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CedarIslander said:

I rest my case. If you still feel that masks will reduce the spread of Covid, after the manufacturer tells you it won't, you're not worth my time. Good day, all. Go celebrate the freedoms that millions of Americans died protecting.

IMG_6056.jpg.2f7642392df1b3d47adaebcae7a787bb.jpg

I'm celebrating my ancestors contribution to the effort of keeping us free by practicing my 1st amendment right to free speech.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NightlyBeast said:

No, by @CedarIslander 's logic people die wearing seat belts so they are totally not effective and everyone should not wear them... /facepalm. 

Oh, and notice he's from "Piece of Mind, USA".  Sounds pretty riled up for someone from "Piece of Mind".

But since he said "Good Day" I'm sure he's no longer paying attention and won't be responding to any of this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CedarIslander said:

I rest my case. If you still feel that masks will reduce the spread of Covid, after the manufacturer tells you it won't, you're not worth my time. Good day, all. Go celebrate the freedoms that millions of Americans died protecting.

One quick and simple question:

If I am wearing a mask and I cough or sneeze, do you think more or less particles will eject from my mouth and nose into the air?

• Like 4