Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

21 hours ago, coaster sally said:

Parks in CA won't close unless there is a outbreak there like it is in Asia.  Too much money to lose.

That is pretty much the same with anywhere else. Ohio won't close due to the coronavirus. Out of all the cases that have come up, only 2% have died. I don't think parks would waste money over that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

BE56475E-7BB1-4F76-9DC4-66BB7D1E7725.gif

Hopefully that will not become necessary, but you guys talk like the decision to open or close is solely in the hands of Cedar Fair.  The County Health Department and many other governmental agencies can shut it down with the snap of their fingers.  

2% sure doesn’t seem like a lot does it?   But let’s look at what 2% means in human terms.  Some scientists estimate 40-70% of US population could be exposed over the next year.  Let’s go with 50%.  Your typical suburban High School has around 2000 students, so hypothetically 1000 students could be impacted.  What is 2% of 1000?  20. That is like mass shooting numbers. How many parents are going to send their kids to HS knowing 20 will not survive?  Maybe you guys are not parents, but as a parent I can guarantee that HS would be a ghost town.  

Everyone knows what Russian Roulette is.  Depending on your perspective the odds of winning or losing is 16.67% with a standard 6 round revolver.  No sane person would take those odds.  If the revolver carried 50 rounds bringing the odds down to 2% would that make it any more palpable?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It will be interesting to see if the virus continues to spread with warmer weather come end of July/ beginning of August during the Tokyo Olympics. 

The financial impact of postponing the games would be terrible, the impact of a complete cancellation (although I don't see this happening) would be devastating.

38 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

It will be interesting to see if the virus continues to spread with warmer weather come end of July/ beginning of August during the Tokyo Olympics. 

The financial impact of postponing the games would be terrible, the impact of a complete cancellation (although I don't see this happening) would be devastating.

they are actually already on the verge of cancelling the Tokyo Olympics- because it is such a large event and the proximity to where the mass outbreak is currently etc over multiple days and cities hosting various events its is actually highly possible it will be canceled. because they are hitting the crunch time- you have people to train for everything, logistics of travel because of the virus many have a travel ban etc. they wont postpone it- its nearly impossible to re-coordinate the athletes, the travel not to mention the loss of money and you can't postpone the housing and hotel reservations etc its just too big of an event.  if canceled what you'll get is many other places hosting championship competitions most likely.  it is possible that they could just cut some events and host easier competitions (es; cancel the horse events as that involves major logistics of quarantines and hosting major staffing and area taken up etc but keep swimming events all that requires is a pool, lifeguards and the athletes- less staffing etc) we'll know withing the next month what they decide. 

quick "political'ish" question.  Assume for the sake of argument a successful vaccine originates from Israel.  Given their odd rash of high-ranking officials coming down with it... does Iran acknowledge Israel long enough to acquire it????

Israel could get it to production quicker, since they aren't under the same guidelines and restrictions as the US developers are.  It won't have as much testing... but will come to market quicker.

I don't see this becoming a big issue in the US.  With the international appeal, my guess is that virus carriers have been all through the US theme park system (in CA and FL) for months.  the worldwide tally is 80,000+ infected and 3,000+ deaths.  Though we'll never know how many infections were happening in China before it became grossly apparent.  If not mistaken 90%+ of the 3,000 (I seem to recall a news article saying that 2,700) were in Wuhan China, which they quarantined and turned a city of 11 million into a giant petri dish.  Take Wuhan out and you have less than a 1% mortality rate.  Feel free to fact check me on that- but I think those were the numbers.  

Imagine the mass chaos that would ensue if we reported with bold headlines and breaking news every time someone passed from the flu.  Remember the Swine Flu (H1N1) that never was???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outdoor Man said:

quick "political'ish" question.  Assume for the sake of argument a successful vaccine originates from Israel.  Given their odd rash of high-ranking officials coming down with it... does Iran acknowledge Israel long enough to acquire it????

I think that depends. Do those nations have differing views on the length and height of Orion not being perceived to stack up to its predecessors?

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

I think that depends. Do those nations have differing views on the length and height of Orion not being perceived to stack up to its predecessors?

If there's one thing that Israel and the rest of the middle east can agree upon it's the length of Orion.

• Haha 2

Withholding humanitarian aid for political reasons is not a good look.  Not saying they wouldn't have the right to negotiate some larger deal for it but the political capital costs internationally would be enormous. Besides this is a global problem not a country specific one, there is noting to gain and everything to loose with an unchecked contagion. Individual vaccines are nowhere near 100% effective and require herd immunity to be effective.

The interesting question here is if people will be willing to take an unproven, rushed to market vaccine with unknown effects or demand it has been thoroughly vetted using current US protocols first and with known risks that can be mitigated.   This isn't a Hollywood movie where it always works at the 11th hour and everyone laughs and hugs. 

If you are actually interested here is a list of companies working on a vaccine or drug treatment.  
https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/analysis/coronavirus-mers-cov-drugs/

There will be several different vaccines available, and they will go through clinical trials.  Most are modified versions of existing vaccines so the companies are used to doing this.  Do not expect them to be available until the fall at the earliest, and at first will not be widely available.

Something to keep in mind, it is very likely the spread of the disease will slow or stop in North America, Asia, and Europe over the next two months.  Traditionally even pandemics follow the normal cold and flu season and pause around May and do not start spreading again until September or October.  If the outbreak continues and is growing in the US past May, then you need to really worry.  Assuming it stops like other pandemics then the question is will it start back up in the fall?

• Like 2

I presume most of those international workers do not have good quality heath insurance plans as well. Could they be stuck with a $3,000 medical bill if they need a test like this Miami man.?  

I believe a quarter of the US population is not covered under an employer sponsored plan.  Are those people going to rush to get tested if the test costs $3K or just tough it out and keep going to work as best they can?  Are seasonal CF employees covered under a plan? I doubt it.  If some do test positive, where are they going to quarantine them?  Set up cots at Sports Force Park?  Who is going to care for their basic needs like food while under quarantine? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin22 said:

Yesterday it was announced that testing would be free and paid for with Medicare I believe.

From WaPO

Seema Verma, the administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said testing for the coronavirus is covered under Medicare, Medicaid and health-care exchanges established under the Affordable Care Act, but it remained unclear how the costs would be handled for the estimated 27 million Americans who are uninsured.

Are international workers covered under Medicare? Sounds like a supercharged Medicare-For-All.  I doubt the current administration would go for that.

Also the test itself has always been free, but not the associated medical expenses to get the test. Those may be covered after meeting your deductible.  (mine is about $3,000 per person)  What is the incentive to get tested?  Its not like there is a cure, all that can be done is manage symptoms anyway and now you have the govt monitoring you and dictating your options and possibly deporting you.

• Like 1

Until the virus spread hits a peak and starts going down in US, it's a hot mess "out there". Much panic, despite the small numbers currently. Local schools are making preparations to close with one positive, so yeah, I figure amusement parks are probably top-of-the-list to get shutdown, too. I sure hope not, but when you see entire countries locking down that does not bode well for parks of a few hundred acres.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from Kings Island themselves about this situation. What do you think is the percent chance that KI's opening is delayed due to this situation? 

I am not speaking for the park. Just from my observations. If we get to 2000 cases nationwide before April, I would not be surprised to see such actions. 

• Like 1

Until/If we have adequate test kits in the wild and start testing everyone showing symptoms we will not know how big this really is or is not. 

South Korea has drive thru swab and go testing to minimize contact with no charge.  Here it takes 2k in medical costs to get tested, if you can.  

I sometimes get the feeling the strategy here is to test as few people as possible so it looks like everything is under control.   I sure hope that changes.  

2 hours ago, malem said:

Ohio State has moved in-person classes online through at least March 30. They have yet to announce what will happen with labs that can't take place online.  https://www.thelantern.com/2020/03/ohio-state-suspends-classes-until-march-30-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak/

I wonder how long it will take the local k-12 districts to follow.  I can’t think of any significant environmental differences between the two settings.  Dorms but they are not closing those.  

14 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I wonder how long it will take the local k-12 districts to follow.  I can’t think of any significant environmental differences between the two settings.  Dorms but they are not closing those.  

The Avon Schools district near Indianapolis is closed for the next four weeks after two positive cases. https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2020/03/09/coronavirus-closes-avons-hickory-elementary/4998572002/

I could see amusement parks cutting back on spring weekdays if schools start cancelling field trips.

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Could Kings Island just not open this season? I pray to God that does not happen! 

In that scenario you likely wouldn't be safe going to any public place or your workplace. If Coronavirus got that bad in this area, amusement parks would not be on your mind.

Just take it all in stride. I would not get too worried at this point.

• Like 1

I think it is a little to early to speculate about the park closing as it would likely be consistent with other public venues in the area.  

Hypothetically if it did close, I would be much more concerned about the financial  health of the company and welfare of the employees not getting paychecks.  KI is just entertainment for us, it is the livelihood of many others.  

If it does occurs to any degree I sure hope everyone here is empathetic enough to not complain about it.  That would not be a good look.  

• Like 3