Jump to content

Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from the park yet over this. 

I don't know what people are expecting to here or why they should make a statement? Other parks are still open in the US. There has been no comments from them. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Masks are required at the parks right now. We have hashed out your argument multiple times and there is no need to do it again. At this point in time, if you don't want to wear a mask and think t

It is really quite simple: If you do not want to wear a mask at a place of business that requires a mask, don't go. Please understand though- DO NOT cause a scene because an employee has asked yo

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I don't know what people are expecting to here or why they should make a statement? Other parks are still open in the US. There has been no comments from them. 

I did some looking around and parks like Dollywood and Hersheypark which haven't opened yet have already come out with statements about their plans for this situation. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

One of the smartest men in this field gives almost 2 hrs of unbiased information lacking the hysteria you will get from every news channel.  Basically, it is very serious and a high priority, but there is no need to panic.  A healthy lifestyle is your best defense (exercise, diet,...etc). Hand sanitizer is darn near useless in preventing the spread of this virus. 

I've found conflicting info on the hand sanitizer so I may be wrong on that one.  Face masks only seem to be beneficial when it is someone carrying the virus wearing them though, not so much a healthy person wearing one to prevent getting sick.

As Osterholm mentions this is largely because we have so little data on this particular virus.  (The right kind) used properly can kill it but we are uncertain if covid can effectively be transmitted by touching our face.  Also there are different types of sanitizers and those based on benzalkonium chloride instead of alcohol are believed to be not as effective.  Unfortunately most of what is available is right now is benzalkonium chloride based and people are being gouged for it.  There are many times washing your hands with soap and water is not an available option so hand sanitizers are the next best option.  Also ever been in a restroom with only air dryers, washed your hands and then realized you have to grab the door handle to exit?  I hate that and travel bottles of sanitizer are helpful in those types of situations.  Notice at most modern medical facilities the restroom door opens outward so you don't have touch a handle.

Regarding the no need to panic.  While panicking rarely helps in any situation there are very legitimate reasons the current situation can cause extreme anxiety.  Take for instance the single mom with young children barely scrapping by with a low wage hourly job and the school closes or a child is ordered to self isolate.  If she cant pay the rent, homelessness is on the horizon. 

There is also a fine line between "panic shopping" and being prepared.  Ideally we should all be prepared for disaster situations but we are human and life gets in the way.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Tbh I think this topic would be a good one for John Matarese and WCPO to do. No, I'm not going to contact him lol we are past that. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from the park yet over this. 

I disagree. This would not be a good topic for "don't waste your money" style "consumer watchdog" entertainment. Those stories can barely copy+paste from these forums when all the info is right there (and, spoiler for the next iPhone story they run: "yeah, you don't need to upgrade but'cha could!). The topic of this global virus is already being covered every day by respected journalists who's focus is reporting on such health-related topics. Follow the CDC, keep an eye on a proper newspaper, wash your hands (if anything, less germs), and just stay informed. 

Given that the situation is fluid and still developing in the Tri-State area, the park is most likely monitoring the situation and will only address it when there's a need to/more information available.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I did some looking around and parks like Dollywood and Hersheypark which haven't opened yet have already come out with statements about their plans for this situation. 

While it is true its not like they said much (We are going to clean more often and have hand wash stations available).  Also Dollywood opens this weekend, KI doesn't.  Hershypark does not open until 4/4 but they have other venues that are opening before that.  Not sure what good a statement 4-5 weeks prior to opening will be.   But that does leave open the question of Knotts.  Maybe CF feels they do a good enough job already in the hygiene department so there really isn't anything to say.  From what I can tell SIX has not made a statement either beyond sending out a survey to guests asking what their concerns are.

If some carefully crafted corporate word salad statement that says nothing will make you feel better, email the park and ask for one. :P

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this email from SIX earlier:

Coronavirus Update

 

A note to our guests about the Coronavirus from CEO Mike Spanos

 

Dear Valued Guests,

The top priority at Six Flags is the safety and the well-being of our guests and team members. Regardless of the environment, this is our top priority every day. We also recognize and understand that you all have concerns about the coronavirus; therefore, I personally want to update you on everything that we are doing to provide a safe environment for you, your family, and our team members.

First, we are closely monitoring the latest developments and following the guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). Additionally, we have hired a highly regarded infectious disease specialist with more than 30 years of experience as an advisor for this situation.

Second, we are taking several actions to help you feel confident about your health and safety while you are in our parks. We have significantly enhanced our cleaning and sanitation efforts on all guest and employee touch points; additionally, we are providing an abundance of anti-bacterial soap in all hand-washing stations, and have placed dozens of alcohol-based hand sanitizers throughout all areas of the parks. Finally, we are frequently cleaning and disinfecting all ride vehicles, queue lines, restrooms, food locations, and employee break areas.

In addition to these actions, we have increased hygiene signage throughout our parks and are strongly encouraging guests and employees to practice good hygiene with frequent and rigorous hand washing. We are asking employees who are sick to stay home. If anyone has a fever or becomes sick while at work, we will immediately release them to see their medical provider.

We hope that these measures give you confidence that we are taking the necessary precautions in this evolving situation. We remain committed to providing you and your family with friendly, clean, fast, and safe service.

For additional information about COVID-19, please read the latest report from the Centers for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov, or your local health department website.

On behalf of everyone at Six Flags, thank you for your trust in us. I look forward to seeing you out in our parks.

Best regards,

Mike Spanos
President & CEO
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I got this email from SIX earlier:

Coronavirus Update

 

A note to our guests about the Coronavirus from CEO Mike Spanos

 

Dear Valued Guests,

The top priority at Six Flags is the safety and the well-being of our guests and team members. Regardless of the environment, this is our top priority every day. We also recognize and understand that you all have concerns about the coronavirus; therefore, I personally want to update you on everything that we are doing to provide a safe environment for you, your family, and our team members.

First, we are closely monitoring the latest developments and following the guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). Additionally, we have hired a highly regarded infectious disease specialist with more than 30 years of experience as an advisor for this situation.

Second, we are taking several actions to help you feel confident about your health and safety while you are in our parks. We have significantly enhanced our cleaning and sanitation efforts on all guest and employee touch points; additionally, we are providing an abundance of anti-bacterial soap in all hand-washing stations, and have placed dozens of alcohol-based hand sanitizers throughout all areas of the parks. Finally, we are frequently cleaning and disinfecting all ride vehicles, queue lines, restrooms, food locations, and employee break areas.

In addition to these actions, we have increased hygiene signage throughout our parks and are strongly encouraging guests and employees to practice good hygiene with frequent and rigorous hand washing. We are asking employees who are sick to stay home. If anyone has a fever or becomes sick while at work, we will immediately release them to see their medical provider.

We hope that these measures give you confidence that we are taking the necessary precautions in this evolving situation. We remain committed to providing you and your family with friendly, clean, fast, and safe service.

For additional information about COVID-19, please read the latest report from the Centers for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov, or your local health department website.

On behalf of everyone at Six Flags, thank you for your trust in us. I look forward to seeing you out in our parks.

Best regards,

Mike Spanos
President & CEO
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

So that is one company that no one has to worry about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be anxious to see if the virus can actually live outdoors.  I have read that experts believe that although the virus can live on interior surfaces like countertops, plastic, metal etc. that is not believed to be an effective means of transmission.  At this point, its is believed to be transmitted mainly through person to person contact.

I would suspect that we've not yet seen the peak of the transmissions... experts are saying that may not come for another 8 weeks... it may get better - or it may get a lot worse.

I will say, for all those biting their nails over media day, or opening weekend or first rides on Orion etc.  Take a chill pill. The park will do whats right and act in the best interest of its guests and their safety.

I am POSITIVE Cedar Fair is monitoring the situation closely.  They are not going to make any broad statements about cancellations, or closures etc until they have more info and concrete directives.  Right now there's just too much left unknown.

It is not a situation that calls for panic, but it IS very concerning.  To say its just a "common cold" is kind of a slap to those that may have lost loved ones to it.  Downplaying the severity of it undermines our ability to contain and control it.  Of course we have to be rational...  buying truckloads of toilet paper isnt going to help much.

The best quote I read in this thread was from Malem.  "Personally, I'm a lot more worried about potentially spreading it to others than about getting seriously ill from the virus myself. It's quite dangerous to vulnerable populations, and it does have the capability of making even otherwise healthy people very ill."  

That is exactly how I feel.  We all need to be very cognizant of our role in halting the spread.  If that means we cant go to KI for a few more weeks... so be it.  Health is more important.

My current modus operandi is to be "cautiously optimistic." 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 10:50 AM, Gordon Bombay said:

Look, I get it, this website has to serve as a cheerleader for the park in some respects and you say all this now (nor am I in no way trying to deter you from visiting). But I would keep an eye on the news and developments as things progress before you declare "not one bit" and jump in line with tons of people all touching the same queue rails. How things were in February are very different from how things are in March. How things are today could be very different a month from now—both for the worse or for better. 

I think he meant that as it stands now he’d go. I would too. Obviously if things get much worse then the park may have to close - let alone any of us having to make the decision to risk it. 
 

Also, from Six Flags:

01B73D6D-A419-44CC-B68B-1E333C5E71E2.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cincinnati mayor just issued a state of emergency. I honestly believe we will see some type of restriction on gatherings. Santa Clara did a ban and I haven't heard much on CGA. However, they don't open until March 21st. 

Source on Cincy major issuing emergency: 

https://www.wlwt.com/article/live-cincinnati-mayor-declares-state-of-emergency-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/31403811

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

The coronavirus isn’t going to have much of an impact. It may be killing people in other countries but we have healthcare that could easily get rid of it.

This post did not age well............

 

The governor is going to be banning all large gatherings here in the next couple days. I might not get to attend the Blue Jackets game i have tickets for April 2nd. Ugh!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just at the "house of Mouse" yesterday and spoke to a number of leadership individuals- not about this, but it did come up.  With the international appeal of the resorts, i'm 99.9% certain that the Coronavirus has gone through the CA and FL resorts- though presently no cases have drawn lines through the resorts.  All chemicals they use (and have used before corona became more than the name of a beer I don't drink) is a safeguard against that and most viruses.  It's why, in the US, parks don't shut down when there is a flu epidemic- despite the fact that parks are mostly petri dishes of germs.  

That said, most of the concern is for spread to elderly.  statistically, 98-99% of those under a certain age may/will get, deal with it for a week'ish and be done with it.  BUT- most of us on here have elderly or aging parents.  I'm not too terribly concerned... yet.- I was in Orlando yesterday, Raleigh today, Baltimore tonight, then back to Cincinnati- but if it gets a bit worse I'll have a moment of pause so as to not place my parents in harms way because I wasn't concerned... about me.  

and to the topic.  Nothing has likely come from Kings Island yet because we're still a month away from opening day.  This will look a ton different (better or worse) in 30 days.  It was hardly a conversation 30 days ago.  They will probably start preparing to release statements around 4/1.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

Was just at the "house of Mouse" yesterday and spoke to a number of leadership individuals- not about this, but it did come up.  With the international appeal of the resorts, i'm 99.9% certain that the Coronavirus has gone through the CA and FL resorts- though presently no cases have drawn lines through the resorts.  All chemicals they use (and have used before corona became more than the name of a beer I don't drink) is a safeguard against that and most viruses.  It's why, in the US, parks don't shut down when there is a flu epidemic- despite the fact that parks are mostly petri dishes of germs.  

That said, most of the concern is for spread to elderly.  statistically, 98-99% of those under a certain age may/will get, deal with it for a week'ish and be done with it.  BUT- most of us on here have elderly or aging parents.  I'm not too terribly concerned... yet.- I was in Orlando yesterday, Raleigh today, Baltimore tonight, then back to Cincinnati- but if it gets a bit worse I'll have a moment of pause so as to not place my parents in harms way because I wasn't concerned... about me.  

and to the topic.  Nothing has likely come from Kings Island yet because we're still a month away from opening day.  This will look a ton different (better or worse) in 30 days.  It was hardly a conversation 30 days ago.  They will probably start preparing to release statements around 4/1.

Dude, a maintenance guy on one of Disneyland Paris’ attractions picked up the virus.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Benjamin22 said:

^ interesting questions, glad to see they’re conducting a survey. I thought them asking about giving all guests free masks was a strange question.

Well they've got to think of every possible option. I say if they were to have masks, don't make people wear them. Tbh I think CF should send out a survey to season passholders for this. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Well they've got to think of every possible option. I say if they were to have masks, don't make people wear them. Tbh I think CF should send out a survey to season passholders for this. 

It’s logistically impossible to provide every guest with a mask. The health care industry needs them much more then a theme park guest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about somebody here put on a mask, have someone drive you down the interstate at 70mph, do not go 91mph as that would be illegal, and then stick your head out the window for a minute and a half and see what happens.  Report back the results of your experiment. :rolleyes:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really glad parks are issuing statements on this.

Also, news do articles keep referring to the coronavirus as novel coronavirus; why is this? Are they referring to it in this way to differentiate it from other types of coronaviruses (as mentioned some posts back)?

On another note, I am really surprised Winter Jam (a Christian concert scheduled for this Saturday) has not yet been cancelled. I was planning on going, but I've decided not to as I could be at risk due to my health issues.

This should be an interesting couple weeks, to say the least...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...