Jump to content
Hawaiian Coasters 325

Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

 

I agree with everything you just said! Very level-headed. And I will not be asking for a refund even if offered because right now I don't need one. But for some folks...this is just such an extraordinary time. Thank you for your input!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some, this may be a double whammy. They may have purchased their passes months ago when finances were great and they had good job security back then, then suddenly that was taken away from them in the blink of an eye through no fault of their own. And I hear the unemployment site is a cluster right now and difficult to apply for it although during the daily address, they say they are working to improve it. And even if the park does open, getting there may be a challenge for some. If they live far enough away, a visit to the park may require an overnight stay (in my case it does, i'm 4 hours away) and if finances are tight, that presents a problem. Gas is cheap but it's still an expense when money is tight. This is not a pleasant time for anyone, regardless of financial situation.  I would be happy if my platinum pass rolled over for part of 2021 like Kennywood is doing, or if the season is a wash for the entire year. I have no doubts the parks will do something to make us whole again. Right now, we can only take this one day at a time. Nobody knows what even tomorrow or later today will bring. I'm hoping at this point at the very least we can get a Haunt and Winterfest season this year. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I’ve been saying from early on, don’t expect the parks to open this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly believe Kings Island WILL open for the 2020 season. But I would imagine that there will be a reduced Haunt and the possibility that WinterFest won't happen this winter. I say that because chances are this virus will probably diminish as it starts to get into the warmer moths of the year. And I'm not saying this virus will not pose a threat in the summer months. Look at Australia. When this virus became an issue, they had cases left and right and they were in summer. But I can definitely see this virus making things the way they are now in the fall of this year. 

Just my thoughts.

 

And somehow Universal Singapore IS STILL OPEN in other news...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

And somehow Universal Singapore IS STILL OPEN in other news...

Singapore is an interesting case and is unique in many ways.  It is a city-state so very small with tightly controlled access. They also learned from previous outbreaks like SARS that self-isolation does not work very well. It is very difficult to control spread within a household. So they have built isolation hospitals for this very purpose so even a mild case gets you quarantined, there is no choice. They are also very aggressive with testing and contact tracing. To a level that would not pass muster in most western countries. 
 

Despite all of that they are starting to see an uptick in cases and may have to take further measures.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak for myself, but here is where my through process stands.

Whenever I have purchased something in advance - or taken part in an installment plan - I viewed it as a "contract" between buyer and seller.  I am paying for goods, or for a "product", that is forthcoming.

If I do not pay, or complete my payments that would break the contract.  Same is true if the product is not supplied as promised - it negates the contract.

 

In this case, the "product" is essentially a fluctuating license to enter and use the park's facilities for a time period.  For now, said time period is indefinitely on hold for reasons beyond anyone's control.  So that leaves the "contract" in limbo.

There are a lot of unseen challenges that can greatly affect a business' timeline - how and when they do things.  I work in a business that is pretty similar to KI in terms of product.  The impact of the virus has sent us reeling, and essentially scrambling to uphold our end of the "contract" with our buyers without collapsing the financial stability of the company.  At this point, I am not sure we will survive this... and how we "react" to the situation will greatly affect the company's longevity.

I have no doubt that Kings Island has every intention to uphold their end of the contract - after all, they are a guest driven business.  However until a firm calendar can be set, their hands are likely tied as to the options they may offer ALL buyers simultaneously.  Unless they can offer those same options to everyone, then they cannot move forward with a solution. 

 

I certainly understand this virus has sent many previously financially stable households into a tailspin - including mine.  (Yes, I have personally taken a large hit.)    However, I still intend to hold up my end of the "contract" that I made with Kings Island and will adjust to whatever options they offer me in due time.  

I view it in terms of my paying towards my future enjoyment.  That gives me something to look forward to in these horrific times.   Fact is, whenever this nightmare ends, and things are once again (knock wood) safe, I hope to immediately go to Kings Island and celebrate life, fun and the outdoors like I never have been before.

In the meantime, I'm primarily focused on the health and safety of those I love and cherish - as well as my own.  I am man enough to admit that I am as scared as I've ever been - and I have seen A LOT in my nearly 50 years.  I am devastated that this is happening to our world, and crushed at the thought of all those affected.  I pray very hard every day, multiple times a day, that this will be lifted.  I encourage others to do the same - pray, encourage, and find something to lift your spirit and keep you moving forward.  And for God's sake, stay home.

Shaggy

 

 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I highly believe Kings Island WILL open for the 2020 season. But I would imagine that there will be a reduced Haunt and the possibility that WinterFest won't happen this winter. I say that because chances are this virus will probably diminish as it starts to get into the warmer moths of the year. And I'm not saying this virus will not pose a threat in the summer months. Look at Australia. When this virus became an issue, they had cases left and right and they were in summer. But I can definitely see this virus making things the way they are now in the fall of this year. 

Just my thoughts.

 

And somehow Universal Singapore IS STILL OPEN in other news...

And for all my reasons stated back on page 37 and supplemented on page 40, I feel that they will not open if all they can provide is 2 months for essentially season pass holders...I hope I am wrong, but the data just isn't trending that way.  Why do you believe they will open other than a gut feel?

Singapore is a totally different situation, but even they were not immune to it.  You can find dozens of articles like this that outlines the steps they took and the proactive approach they took.  Why didn't others follow their textbook?  They also have no real privacy laws either so they can do a lot more than we can.  Look at my compare and contrast on page 28 to see the differences between there and here.  Now my example was China, but if you research you will see Singapore did the same things and even more...Maybe Universal Singapore never has to close or maybe it will if they get the big second spike...but in any data analysis there is always an outlier and one park being open compared to all the rest is the wrong data point to focus on, unless the focus is to why could they stay open while others closed...

Here are interesting statistics as of this afternoon:

  • USA makes up about 4.25% of the world’s population; 24% of the total known Coronavirus cases and leading all countries
  • Italy makes up 0.8% of the world’s population;  12% of the known cases
  • China makes up 18.5% of the world’s population;  8% of the known cases
  • India makes up 17.7% of the world’s population;  0.2% of the known cases
  • Hong Kong makes up 0.1% of the world’s population; 0.08% of known cases
  • Singapore makes up 0.08% of the world’s population; 1.0% of known cases
  • Japan makes up 1.6% of the world’s population; 0.2% of known cases

Now go and compare/contrast the measures each country took…Why does the USA have more cases and is way out of whack compared to our population?  Why is Italy 0.8% of the population but make up 12% of the total cases?  Why is Hong Kong and Singapore about what you should expect (% of world population equals % with virus)?  Why is Japan well under their world percentage? Why do some countries require masks and temperature taking to go anywhere and others don't?  The questions are endless...

Some of it could be countries varying access to testing.  Some of it could be countries not accurately portraying their numbers.  Some of it could be they reacted more quickly than others.  Some of it could be some were able to implement and enforce their method of choice to contain it better than others.  Some of it could be lack of protection measures available...Some of it could be their demographic is older and sicker than others....Some of the first countries that experienced this virus just started to loosen the restrictions and had a spike and went back to closing things down....Lot's of reasons and one can certainly spin it to meet their bias.  But as long as we maintain the world leader in cases and eventually the leader in deaths, the longer it will take for our "normal" to come back...

image.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thabto said:

And to be fair to Cedar Fair, Disney's pass program is a different model.  The Cedar Fair passes are good for the calendar year, whereas the Disney plan is good for a year from the date of purchase.  Cedar Fair's system is set up for calendar year and probably cannot easily be modified to switch to a varied schedule plan like Disney.

Plus as I have mentioned previously, Disney parks are one division of a media conglomerate, so Disney can "afford" to do this much easier than a Cedar Fair can as Cedar Fair doesn't have TV stations (other than FunTV lol) or movies for revenue streams...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow would have been the start of my bucket list season...was gonna do sat sun mon at Kings dominion, then Tue wed thu at Carrowinds and finish off with passholder preview day and opening weekend at Kings Island.

Hope the parks reopen within my lifetime...

Disney hasn't been doing so well with their other carp...as I understand it, the parks division keeps the other carp afloat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you. We were supposed to go to Carowinds last weekend finally. Been wanting to go since Fury was built. Finally pulled the trigger and booked a hotel but was unable to go obviously. We ended up going on a 2mi hike instead. While this is been a blessing in certain ways like finding new hobbies and spending some extra time with family but it has been hard on us as our family time is generally spent at the parks in the spring/summer/fall. It also sounds like a family gathering for Easter will be canceled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the Cleveland Clinic CEO is saying the peak may not come until mid may-mid June. That shows that any of hope of the park opening in May might be pretty much dead. Sorry guys. We can still hope and pray it comes earlier and cases go down and we can open in late May or early June, but now that is starting to seem unlikely to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean this as no slight, but I am looking at this from a different perspective. For some, the impact of the coronavirus has affected park excursions, cruises, and extravagant Disney vacations.  For others, it's affected basic necessities like paying rent. Respectfully, a person can survive without expensive vacations, they can't without a home or insulin.  

I love Kings Island, and I'm one of those who's part of an ongoing payment plan, but my concerns are elsewhere...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I mean this as no slight, but I am looking at this from a different perspective. For some, the impact of the coronavirus has affected park excursions, cruises, and extravagant Disney vacations.  For others, it's affected basic necessities like paying rent. Respectfully, a person can survive without expensive vacations, they can't without a home or insulin.  

I love Kings Island, and I'm one of those who's part of an ongoing payment plan, but my concerns are elsewhere...

File for unemployment immediately.  It also sounds like you  may have type 1 diabetes.  If so, your also qualify for assistance with your medical expenses.  There are options out there for insulin, Reli-On being a very affordable alternative until this situation runs its course.  Check with your doctor.  I can't give medical advice, but as someone who has lived with T1D for 40+ years, I can be a sounding board for you.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I mean this as no slight, but I am looking at this from a different perspective. 

I lost my job once due to downsizing years ago* I can understand your feelings, it can be scary. Unless someone has been through this it is hard to understand how it feels. (Things that you once considered important don’t even enter your mind because of the really important things that you are dwelling on.)

Once again, I wish you all the best and try to keep thinking positive...although I know through experience that is hard.
 

*In the end I did find a new/better job and it turned out fine...I hope the same for you.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Now the Cleveland Clinic CEO is saying the peak may not come until mid may-mid June. That shows that any of hope of the park opening in May might be pretty much dead. Sorry guys. We can still hope and pray it comes earlier and cases go down and we can open in late May or early June, but now that is starting to seem unlikely to me. 

Interesting perspective of NFL top doc about the upcoming season...alludes to what many have already posted here about how long it will take to get back to normal...take his statements and interpolate it to an amusement park setting for example...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108243/article/sills-widespread-testing-needed-for-nfl-reopening

Here is the link to the article @Hawaiian Coasters 325referenced above about Cleveland Clinic where the CEO states "Our modeling predictions are telling us that if we’re able to flatten the curve to some extent, we’re expecting the peak of this disease – at least in our home-state of Ohio – to occur sometime between mid-May and mid-June, with a gradual decline of a number of cases toward mid- to late-July. This is the best case scenario,"  Keep in mind that even at that date the all-clear will not be given - things will open up slowly and be re-evaluated..

Here is an interesting perspective article from a American that has been living in Wuhan for 16 years and he says “Act as though it's going to be a lot longer from the beginning — financially pace yourself, physically try to set up a routine, keep some kind of schedule with exercise, with your children’s education and just prepare for it to be a lot longer.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, disco2000 said:

And for all my reasons stated back on page 37 and supplemented on page 40, I feel that they will not open if all they can provide is 2 months for essentially season pass holders...I hope I am wrong, but the data just isn't trending that way.  Why do you believe they will open other than a gut feel?

Singapore is a totally different situation, but even they were not immune to it.  You can find dozens of articles like this that outlines the steps they took and the proactive approach they took.  Why didn't others follow their textbook?  They also have no real privacy laws either so they can do a lot more than we can.  Look at my compare and contrast on page 28 to see the differences between there and here.  Now my example was China, but if you research you will see Singapore did the same things and even more...Maybe Universal Singapore never has to close or maybe it will if they get the big second spike...but in any data analysis there is always an outlier and one park being open compared to all the rest is the wrong data point to focus on, unless the focus is to why could they stay open while others closed...

Here are interesting statistics as of this afternoon:

  • USA makes up about 4.25% of the world’s population; 24% of the total known Coronavirus cases and leading all countries
  • Italy makes up 0.8% of the world’s population;  12% of the known cases
  • China makes up 18.5% of the world’s population;  8% of the known cases
  • India makes up 17.7% of the world’s population;  0.2% of the known cases
  • Hong Kong makes up 0.1% of the world’s population; 0.08% of known cases
  • Singapore makes up 0.08% of the world’s population; 1.0% of known cases
  • Japan makes up 1.6% of the world’s population; 0.2% of known cases

Now go and compare/contrast the measures each country took…Why does the USA have more cases and is way out of whack compared to our population?  Why is Italy 0.8% of the population but make up 12% of the total cases?  Why is Hong Kong and Singapore about what you should expect (% of world population equals % with virus)?  Why is Japan well under their world percentage? Why do some countries require masks and temperature taking to go anywhere and others don't?  The questions are endless...

Some of it could be countries varying access to testing.  Some of it could be countries not accurately portraying their numbers.  Some of it could be they reacted more quickly than others.  Some of it could be some were able to implement and enforce their method of choice to contain it better than others.  Some of it could be lack of protection measures available...Some of it could be their demographic is older and sicker than others....Some of the first countries that experienced this virus just started to loosen the restrictions and had a spike and went back to closing things down....Lot's of reasons and one can certainly spin it to meet their bias.  But as long as we maintain the world leader in cases and eventually the leader in deaths, the longer it will take for our "normal" to come back...

image.png

I sincerely doubt the statistics coming out of China. This is the same government that did everything it could to shut down doctors trying to warn everyone. For that matter, I can't really trust any statistics out right now. I was quarantined for the past two weeks because I had all the symptoms and I never had a test.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I can only speak for myself, but here is where my through process stands.

Whenever I have purchased something in advance - or taken part in an installment plan - I viewed it as a "contract" between buyer and seller.  I am paying for goods, or for a "product", that is forthcoming.

If I do not pay, or complete my payments that would break the contract.  Same is true if the product is not supplied as promised - it negates the contract.

 

In this case, the "product" is essentially a fluctuating license to enter and use the park's facilities for a time period.  For now, said time period is indefinitely on hold for reasons beyond anyone's control.  So that leaves the "contract" in limbo.

There are a lot of unseen challenges that can greatly affect a business' timeline - how and when they do things.  I work in a business that is pretty similar to KI in terms of product.  The impact of the virus has sent us reeling, and essentially scrambling to uphold our end of the "contract" with our buyers without collapsing the financial stability of the company.  At this point, I am not sure we will survive this... and how we "react" to the situation will greatly affect the company's longevity.

I have no doubt that Kings Island has every intention to uphold their end of the contract - after all, they are a guest driven business.  However until a firm calendar can be set, their hands are likely tied as to the options they may offer ALL buyers simultaneously.  Unless they can offer those same options to everyone, then they cannot move forward with a solution. 

 

I certainly understand this virus has sent many previously financially stable households into a tailspin - including mine.  (Yes, I have personally taken a large hit.)    However, I still intend to hold up my end of the "contract" that I made with Kings Island and will adjust to whatever options they offer me in due time.  

I view it in terms of my paying towards my future enjoyment.  That gives me something to look forward to in these horrific times.   Fact is, whenever this nightmare ends, and things are once again (knock wood) safe, I hope to immediately go to Kings Island and celebrate life, fun and the outdoors like I never have been before.

In the meantime, I'm primarily focused on the health and safety of those I love and cherish - as well as my own.  I am man enough to admit that I am as scared as I've ever been - and I have seen A LOT in my nearly 50 years.  I am devastated that this is happening to our world, and crushed at the thought of all those affected.  I pray very hard every day, multiple times a day, that this will be lifted.  I encourage others to do the same - pray, encourage, and find something to lift your spirit and keep you moving forward.  And for God's sake, stay home.

Shaggy

 

 

 

Im curious how would they handle season passes if the park were to open up in mid July? How would that situation potentially affect the following year’s pass deal? Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Those reading my long posts LOL will know that this comes as no surprise to me....and long overdue....The CDC Now Advises Everyone To Wear Masks In Public....

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/wear-mask-public-coronavirus-advisory-214838750.html

My main question is how many people will actually do it lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

Things need to start opening back up again, a lot of small businesses only have a few more weeks of money left or they will be closed for good. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/treasury-makes-ppp-loan-terms-more-unfavorable-for-small-businesses.html

Unfortunately we are going to likely have to suffer the loss of several small businesses because of this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Unfortunately we are going to likely have to suffer the loss of several small businesses because of this. 

I don’t believe this has to happen, things could be done to prevent it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

How would Terpy respond?

He'd say, "Those like me who know when the park will open, can't tell you."

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Is it dumb for me to ask who Terpy is? 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:  Yes and No.  :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You have some research to do young padawan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Is it dumb for me to ask who Terpy is? 

A formerly prolific user who left a few years ago, I think in early 2017. You didn’t miss much. The forum instantly got better the day he left.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Is it dumb for me to ask who Terpy is? 

When I first got here I thought he was an insider teasing us along with useful information. I eventually found out he was the ultimate KI Central troll. 

A MUCH beloved troll, at that.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...