Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

14 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

Based off of what metric? It's not obvious to me.

Well, many of our individual states, like Ohio and New York, have more infected cases than the entirety of some other countries despite the state population being a fraction of said country... and what I said back on page 41 (of which the trend and tracking has got worse)...

On 4/2/2020 at 11:30 PM, disco2000 said:

Here are interesting statistics as of this afternoon:

• USA makes up about 4.25% of the world’s population; 24% of the total known Coronavirus cases and leading all countries
  • Italy makes up 0.8% of the world’s population;  12% of the known cases
  • China makes up 18.5% of the world’s population;  8% of the known cases
  • India makes up 17.7% of the world’s population;  0.2% of the known cases
  • Hong Kong makes up 0.1% of the world’s population; 0.08% of known cases
  • Singapore makes up 0.08% of the world’s population; 1.0% of known cases
  • Japan makes up 1.6% of the world’s population; 0.2% of known cases

Now go and compare/contrast the measures each country took (page 28)…Why does the USA have more cases and is way out of whack compared to our population?  Why is Italy 0.8% of the population but make up 12% of the total cases?  Why is Hong Kong and Singapore about what you should expect (% of world population equals % with virus)?  Why is Japan well under their world percentage? Why do some countries require masks and temperature taking to go anywhere and others don't?  The questions are endless...

Some of it could be countries varying access to testing.  Some of it could be countries not accurately portraying their numbers.  Some of it could be they reacted more quickly than others.  Some of it could be some were able to implement and enforce their method of choice to contain it better than others.  Some of it could be lack of protection measures available...Some of it could be their demographic is older and sicker than others....Some of the first countries that experienced this virus just started to loosen the restrictions and had a spike and went back to closing things down....Lot's of reasons and one can certainly spin it to meet their bias.  But as long as we maintain the world leader in cases and eventually the leader in deaths, the longer it will take for our "normal" to come back...

image.png

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

Well, many of our individual states, like Ohio and New York, have more infected cases than the entirety of some other countries... and what I said back on page 41...

This is an over 50 disease. The rest of us are going to move on. Protecting the over-50's. But let's call it what it is.

10 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

We aren't going to stay locked down until a vaccine is destributed. I can guarantee you on that. 

But I didn’t say we are going to stay locked down until a vaccine is distributed.   I said it is very possible the parks may not open until then.  Goes to same for many large crowded gatherings such as stadiums, arenas etc.

It is also possible a treatment could be developed and proven safe before then or it could just go away like a miracle.  I sure hope so.  

9 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

Based off of what metric? It's not obvious to me.

There are many but testing is the big one.  I understand many do not think testing is important, but the chief scientists in the field do.  

• Like 1

Just now, bjcolglazier said:

This is an over 50 disease. The rest of us are going to move on. Protecting the over-50's. But let's call it what it is.

It's still affecting underage people. Also, those over 50 people are your parents and grandparents. The last thing I would want to do is pass it on to one of them and they pass away from it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It's still affecting underage people. Also, those over 50 people are your parents and grandparents. The last thing I would want to do is pass it on to one of them and they pass away from it. 

Yeah, that's why I said "Protecting the over-50's"

8 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

That mouth would get you in trouble if you were in management (and this was a workplace):P

Age Discrimination & Harassment in the Workplace

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older. It does not protect workers under the age of 40.

Harassment can include, for example, offensive or derogatory remarks about a person's age. Although the law doesn't prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that aren't very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

That mouth would get you in trouble if you were in management (and this was a workplace):P

The government is already deciding who is "essential" and who is not. If that is not discrimination I don't know what is. But really this comes down to protecting people. And age is a factor. Says the scientific data.

Would be interesting to line up the age demographics of this disease to the age demographics of actual voters.  

2 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

The government is already deciding who is "essential" and who is not. If that is not discrimination I don't know what is. But really this comes down to protecting people. And age is a factor. Says the scientific data.

The difference is essential is defined by industry and job function not race, gender, age, religion etc.  

Just sayin if you tried that argument in front of the Supreme Court they would laugh you out the door 9-0 .  

• Like 1

Just now, Joshua said:

It's not just the elderly. Anyone with a weakened immune system is susceptible. That counts those with diabetes, heart conditions, and asthma,  conditions that are very common and affect people of all ages. 

Sure, sure sure. But look at the numbers. In New York State...the hyper-center...like 95-96% of their deaths are over age 50. Under age 50? Like 5%. Yes, we all need to be aware...but it's how old you are. Mostly.

7 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Or race demographics, as we are finding out. 

That is very true and it needs to be studied more.   It is not clear to me that race is the dominant factor but socio-economic condition, access to healthcare etc.  I am fairly certain the virus is color blind but there certainly could be race related biological factors such as sickle cell anemia that are predominantly in African-Americans.  

Just a reminder to keep this thread focused on the virus and its impact on the amusement park industry; political debate doesn't belong on the boards.

46 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

This is an over 50 disease.

I understand your point, but that particular statement is false. In Ohio, 19% of the hospitalizations have been people under 50. Older adults and those with immune conditions should certainly be taking extra precautions as the group most likely to suffer fatalities, but if we don't contain the virus, it's an everyone problem on an unprecedented scale.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

We aren't going to stay locked down until a vaccine is destributed. I can guarantee you on that. 

While I certainly think you are right, it really is an unknown and changes every day with every new data point.  Time will tell as we start to loosen restrictions and evaluate and see what happens and reassess the data.

Could you have imagined on January 1st that you would end your school year remote learning...oh wait wrong example for you:P

Seriously though, nobody predicted on January 1 that we would be experiencing all we are experiencing, and because of this uncertainty, who knows what may happen the next three months.... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Correct. 81% of hospitalizations from coronavirus are over 50 years old. 

I will repeat my Russian Roulette example.  Depending on ones perspective the odds of winning or loosing with a 6 round revolver are 16.67%.  I really don’t like those odds, but they are better than an under 50 getting hospitalized and once in I don’t like the odds of coming out either. 

This is an everyone problem.

• Like 1

Just now, King Ding Dong said:

I will repeat my Russian Roulette example.  Depending on ones perspective the odds of winning or loosing with a 6 round revolver are 16.67%.  I really don’t like those odds, but they are better than an under 50 getting hospitalized and once in I don’t like the odds of coming out either. 

This is an everyone problem.

Yeah, but look at that Ohio graphic though! It is an everyone problem, but the data is important to our decisions going forward.

25 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Capture.PNG

That disparity is why I'm more worried about spreading the virus than about personally being in that 19% share of the hospitalized patients. I probably wouldn't die, but people that caught it because of me might. One could argue that younger people present the biggest threat with this virus, as they are more likely to be asymptomatic super spreaders.

That's not to discount the physical risk to younger patients who get sick. Permanent lung damage is no joke, and it's a real danger with this virus.

• Like 5