Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

I firmly believe that Kings Island will make careful decisions that will appeal to MOST guests. Not allowing face masks or not encouraging them will keep some people away because they will not feel as safe and will want more protection. On the other hand, requiring face masks will keep those away who don’t enjoy wearing them. A policy of recommending face masks but leaving the decision of actually wearing them up to individual guests will likely satisfy the majority of guests.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I firmly believe that Kings Island will make careful decisions that will appeal to MOST guests. Not allowing face masks or not encouraging them will keep some people away because they will not feel as safe and will want more protection. On the other hand, requiring face masks will keep those away who don’t enjoy wearing them. A policy of recommending face masks but leaving the decision of actually wearing them up to individual guests will likely satisfy the majority of guests.

Here in Indiana the plan is be all-things-open July 4. No restrictions. As of May 8th---not this weekend but next---churches are open no restrictions. I think by the time Kings Island opens there will be no government restrictions. The park may do some things to make people feel good, but...nothing enforced except perhaps on their own employees. Keep in mind July is still two months away, and things have changed dramatically from March 1 to May 1. 

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

Here in Indiana the plan is be all-things-open July 4. No restrictions. As of May 8th---not this weekend but next---churches are open no restrictions. I think by the time Kings Island opens there will be no government restrictions. The park may do some things to make people feel good, but...nothing enforced except perhaps on their own employees. Keep in mind July is still two months away, and things have changed dramatically from March 1 to May 1. 

Now if CF only had a park in IN:P

You are right a lot will change, but based on actions to date, I do not see DeWine having no restrictions by July 4th.  I am sure they will be greatly reduced, but I am sure something will still be in place, either capacity limited or employees wearing masks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Tbh I think Indiana is going a little too fast on this stuff. I think Holcomb was pressured by someone to do that. I don't see the plan Indiana is doing working out imo. 

Just now, disco2000 said:

Now if CF only had a park in IN:P

You are right a lot will change, but based on actions to date, I do not see DeWine having no restrictions by July 4th.  I am sure they will be greatly reduced, but I am sure something will still be in place, either capacity limited or employees wearing masks.

DeWine still thinks he can enforce a 14-day-quarantine on outside visitors. He's been progressive, if that's a good thing, but it's ridiculously un-enforceable. I anticipate him following Indiana's lead. Nobody wants what Michigan got...I'll just leave that there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

@disco2000 My car sure lets me know if I didn’t buckle up.  Did you get out some wire cutters? :lol:

Seat belts were optional in the disco era:P  Oh the good ole days when The Beast did not have seatbelts were the best.

But I did say I never had anyone pull on my seatbelt to be sure it was buckled properly. 

Sure the light may come on, but unlike a roller coaster, someone can drive with that pesky light on..no wait a minute, for a roller coaster the light needs to come on to be secured...why isn't there consistency lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Tbh I think Indiana is going a little too fast on this stuff. I think Holcomb was pressured by someone to do that. I don't see the plan Indiana is doing working out imo. 

Holcomb has informed the people and left it to the people of Indiana. Simple as that.

6 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Oh the good ole days when The Beast did not have seatbelts were the best.

Yes! In the old days Beast just had a lap-bar that covered both seats. Now it's an individual-restraint PLUS a belt. I've ridden it all sorts of ways. Still here.

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

Yes! In the old days Beast just had a lap-bar that covered both seats. Now it's an individual-restraint PLUS a belt. I've ridden it all sorts of ways. Still here.

To ride The Beast with just that buzz bar that didn't touch your legs at all and no seat belt and no divider and be the only one in the seat was a fabulous ride.  I loved sliding back and forth LOL

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I could see this, and I personally hope for this because rides and the whole park running at half-capacity is not something that seems fun. I still think employees will be required by Cedar Fair to wear masks and separate themselves from guests as best as possible. As far as guests tho, masks will definitely be allowed, whether people wear them or not will be up to the individual. Some guests will wear masks, others will not, but this should not take away from the theme park experience. If anything, it will be funny to look back on in future years seeing everyone waiting in line on Orion’s opening day with masks on and staring 6 feet apart! LOL!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Under the current Order, employees are required to wear masks...

Regarding restraints, they could make that contactless and that is a possibility for many of the rides.  The reality is because of the lawsuit crazy society we live in is part of the reasons for these restraint checks.  It is posted and should be the rider's responsibility to know the rules and guidelines of the ride and obey them. I know the lapbar came down the required amount and that my seatbelt is secure and having a speed check by an employee doesn't make me feel any safer.  Yet I witness on almost every trip a rider that thought the seatbelt was optional on one of the rides I am in line with, thus slowing the process down.

I don't know this for a fact for every ride and I am sure there are exceptions, but I know most of the newer roller coasters cannot dispatch if the lap bar/restraint is not secured, so the employee speed check is more for checklist and liability reasons and redundancy than anything else. Now I do realize that none of the seatbelts have this feature, so they are checking that.

I get into my vehicle and strap my seatbelt on and never has anyone done a pull on it to insure that I secured it properly, yet statistically, one is more likely to be injured or die in an automobile accident than an amusement park ride accident...

Personally don't feel the CF would do away with restraint checks simply due to the liability it opens them up to. Every ride has someone who has never been on it before and may not know the proper secure position. And sensors can fail, IMO they should not by solely relied on to ensure safety. Just think of FoF and how many people have an instant of panic they can't find the other half of the seat belt.:lol: As a parent I rely on my 11yo to properly have her restraint on now, but younger she had to be shown or corrected. Heck I've been at the local fair when they did not do restraint checks. Rides have had to be stopped because of children sliding around without a belt on. It's not fun and parents lose their heads quickly. Imagine 1 instance of that with a much more profitable place and people will see $$$.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Personally don't feel the CF would do away with restraint checks simply due to the liability it opens them up to. Every ride has someone who has never been on it before and may not know the proper secure position. And sensors can fail, IMO they should not by solely relied on to ensure safety. Just think of FoF and how many people have an instant of panic they can't find the other half of the seat belt.:lol: As a parent I rely on my 11yo to properly have her restraint on now, but younger she had to be shown or corrected. Heck I've been at the local fair when they did not do restraint checks. Rides have had to be stopped because of children sliding around without a belt on. It's not fun and parents lose their heads quickly. Imagine 1 instance of that with a much more profitable place and people will see $$$.

Yep. For sure employees will still have to do their part to provide ride safety. No getting around that.

How about they just go around to each row and tell riders to buckle and lower restraints, then ask them to try to push up on the restraints after they are secured? They will have seen you do it, so they know it's done right. There's really no need to have them touch it or get close to you. The ride system should prevent dispatch if a restraint is not locked (at least that's how I think it works). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thabto said:

How about they just go around to each row and tell riders to buckle and lower restraints, then ask them to try to push up on the restraints after they are secured? They will have seen you do it, so they know it's done right. There's really no need to have them touch it or get close to you. The ride system should prevent dispatch if a restraint is not locked (at least that's how I think it works). 

That's how it used to work---more or less. But then the lady in Texas fell off, so we got belts, and...I don't know what their liability policies are these days.

7 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

That's how it used to work---more or less. But then the lady in Texas fell off, so we got belts, and...I don't know what their liability policies are these days.

Or flew out or tossed from the ride..

CF is self insured so they determine the liability policy and risk...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, standbyme said:

I have also heard this comment thrown around at my workplace a few times.but I have never been able to find it backed up on any reputable website...can anyone point me to one? The only site that I COULD find that mentions the car accident death count theory rebukes it:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/social-media-posts-make-baseless-claim-on-covid-19-death-toll/

Ill concede the answer is not crystal clear but here is a direct quote that indicates that is the case. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/08/dr_birx_unlike_some_countries_if_someone_dies_with_covid-19_we_are_counting_that_as_a_covid-19_death.html

1 hour ago, Thabto said:

That's what Disney does for their thrill rides and coasters and it is great for fast dispatches.

14 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

...until the healthcare system can reasonably take me in if needed. 

I like how you painted the healthcare system...It sounded so quaint, like a mother just waiting to help her boy out! :P

ED219F39-F6B6-46AF-B02D-E3BA84ABF0D6.jpeg

(Oh if could only be like that...instead, it’s more like Mr. Burns is running it.)

• Like 1

One thing I haven't seen discussed is the role of liability in when the parks open. I'm sure the lawyers will have a say in when and how they will open, and liability for any deaths from COVID-19 will be a major concern. While there's never a good time for a lawsuit, the park really doesn't need a lawsuit right now because someone got COVID-19 at the park and later died. This is one reason why a lot of businesses that could reopen are deciding to hold off. Of course they can't be sued just because someone got the virus in the park, they have to show the park was negligent in some way. This could be not training employees in proper procedures, not providing masks, gloves, sanitizer, etc. or not enforcing policies with patrons. I expect that whatever the policies are when the park reopens, they will be enforced. This is why safety rules are enforced much more than line jumping or smoking now. This could be one more factor in the financial equation of whether to open this year. Add this to a shortened season, reduced capacity, and extra cost of PPE, and they might decide to wait until next year.

• Like 1

Cheers to 2021, cause we ain't riding this year without a miracle. I'm invested and I pray I'm wrong but doesn't look good at all. I haven't yet read any back post cause I just got on but no way they can afford to open without very highly odds they'll have to close up from a large Covid outbreak. Suks, but I'm giving you the truth. Love Kings Island but if we have to wait an extra summer, stay safe. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

A former Michigan player must agree and supports Ohio State:P

https://twitter.com/i/status/1255534619581128706

image.png

I think it was because he lost a bet lol. I had to wear an Ohio State shirt to church the day after the OSU Michigan game a couple years ago after betting with my step grandfather lol. 

Let's get back on topic. I believe we can discuss sports in another thread in the off topic section. 

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think it was because he lost a bet lol. I had to wear an Ohio State shirt to church the day after the OSU Michigan game a couple years ago after betting with my step grandfather lol. 

Let's get back on topic. I believe we can discuss sports in another thread in the off topic section. 

The picture, yes, but the tweet he sent out this week is not because he lost a bet!

PS: it is actually the phrase for his new team LOL...but buckeye nation sees it differently:P

Since you want every post here covid related LOL, here you go:

Tom Brady was busted for working out in a closed park.  Park was closed due to covid.

Tom Brady walked into the wrong house.  I am sure someone could say that is a violation of the covid order somewhere.  I doubt the order is you cannot visit friends, but accidentally walking into someone else's home by mistake is an ok thing to do:P 

If the NFL doesn't play this season, you can thank Tom for that LOL,

Let's blame him if Disney doesn't open as well while we are at it since his missteps took place in Florida LOL

Either that Michigan education isn't all it is cracked up to be or he has had one to many concussions:P

• Haha 1