Jump to content
Hawaiian Coasters 325

Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Recommended Posts

Its scary out there.....people saying F it and  doing whatever they want. Things may get worse this fall. 2020 is a lost season imo. Good luck to all those who think it isn't a big issue. Stay the F away from me though!!! haha

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

If Disney is doing it, other parks will do the same.

Maybe, but most other parks don’t have unionized employees outside of possibly maintenance.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Believe it's going to come down to what Ohio government says. Holiday World isn't planning to require masks as they consider it a loose article, but they will if Indiana says it's a must for guests.

If there an Ohio update today?

Ohio Governor had already back-peddled on it - a couple weeks ago he said it would be mandatory for customers to wear face masks, and then retracted it the next day - before any business even had to experience trying to enforce it...

Employees are required to wear masks though, unless they fall under certain exceptions.

If he isn't making it a requirement for indoor places, I doubt he would for KI.

He seems to really be of the mindset now of letting it be an individual business decision as well as an individual decision.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Ohio Governor had already back-peddled on it - a couple weeks ago he said it would be mandatory for customers to wear face masks, and then retracted it the next day - before any business even had to experience trying to enforce it...

If he isn't making it a requirement for indoor places, I doubt he would for KI.

He seems to really be of the mindset now of letting it be an individual business decision as well as an individual decision.

They are a requirement for Barber shops and Salons. So  really you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

They are a requirement for Barber shops and Salons. So  really you never know.

Masks are required of the employees, but not the customers...that is a business decision if they will require guests to wear face masks...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/05/15/covid-19-salons-barbershops-reopen-ohio/5197024002/

image.png

Hair salon and barber fact sheet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Of the employees, but not the customers...that is a business decision if they will require guests to wear face masks...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/05/15/covid-19-salons-barbershops-reopen-ohio/5197024002/

That may be correct....but i'd hate  to own the salon that does't make them wear masks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Masks are required of the employees, but not the customers...that is a business decision if they will require guests to wear face masks...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/05/15/covid-19-salons-barbershops-reopen-ohio/5197024002/

image.png

Hair salon and barber fact sheet

We have a local barber doing the first couple hours for high risk clients. Kinda hope more catch on.

They are requiring masks for clients in Indiana, but have seen clients and stylists without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of factors at play.  Although KI and CP associates are not unionized they still need worker buy in. Given the pay scale most probably do not live on their own so parent’s comfort the working conditions will play a factor.  Certainly some will be fine with no guest masks and some won’t.

Just because CF will likely be unwilling to enforce a policy doesn’t mean they won’t have a policy.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Its mandatory unless the following......

Capture2.PNG

Exactly - you are quoting from the EMPLOYEES requirements - your check mark is to indicate that they legally cannot turn away a guest for choosing to wear a face mask (unless covered by another law).  The part of my post that you re-posted was in reference to guests and facemasks, not the employees.  And guests are not mandated to wear masks by Ohio Government - that is a business decision.  Employees are required unless they meet the exceptions, but that was a different part of my post...

Go to the next page of the fact sheet you referenced (which I also referenced) that shows requirements for CUSTOMERS...face masks for customers is in the recommended category...

image.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Believe it's going to come down to what Ohio government says. Holiday World isn't planning to require masks as they consider it a loose article, but they will if Indiana says it's a must for guests.

If there an Ohio update today?

This is my main concern about masks at theme parks. Those N95's that have the big plastic valve on the front of them sure would do some major damage to a persons face 3 rows back when they blow off at 90 mph. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lifetimecoaster said:

This is my main concern about masks at theme parks. Those N95's that have the big plastic valve on the front of them sure would do some major damage to a persons face 3 rows back when they blow off at 90 mph. 

Not all N95s have a valve; the 3M N95s I have somewhere (from 12 years ago) do not.  Many baseball caps have large pieces of plastic on them and the park does nothing about that.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Not all N95s have a valve; the 3M N95s I have somewhere (from 12 years ago) do not.  Many baseball caps have large pieces of plastic on them and the park does nothing about that.  

And they do a generally poor job of enforcing no phones out and those hurt even worse than a mask or ball cap would...

I have literally been on rides where someone ahead of me has a phone out, employee comes over speaker and makes the phones are not allowed under Ohio Law please put away and the person doesn't put it away and the ride op simply lets the ride continue.

They did start to make an effort last year and in many instances they would actually stop the ride and go up and retrieve the phone, but way too many continued on without stopping.  Again, does a wide-eyed teenager whose heart is set on operating a ride want to now be an enforcer of that policy...if they wanted to be an enforcer they would have applied to security!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

And they do a generally poor job of enforcing no phones out and those hurt even worse than a mask or ball cap would...

I have literally been on rides where someone ahead of me has a phone out, employee comes over speaker and makes the phones are not allowed under Ohio Law please put away and the person doesn't put it away and the ride op simply lets the ride continue.

They did start to make an effort last year and in many instances they would actually stop the ride and go up and retrieve the phone, but way too many continued on without stopping.  Again, does a wide-eyed teenager whose heart is set on operating a ride want to now be an enforcer of that policy...if they wanted to be an enforcer they would have applied to security!

Well They can hire ( people need jobs now) more security to have at each coaster. Besides isn't it the ride ops  jobs to enforce the rules of riding the coasters. That's literally their job so, if you ask me.....Yes they should be asked to enforce that rule. Its what they get paid for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

If Disney is doing it, other parks will do the same.

Disney has no problem trespassing or kicking out people who don't follow their rules. If you refuse to change a vulgar t shirt or wear inside out or try to constantly wear a bikini bra as a top they will excuse you from the grounds. They (Florida mainly)(Disneyland falls under Anaheim) have the advantage no other amusement parks have that I know of and that is they are their own city. Incorporated as Reedy Creek they have their own police and fire rescue and can enforce their policies without having to involve outside police except for cases that involve bigger matters. 
 

Cf has security sure but they can't trespass as easily as they would have to involve mason police etc and mason police won't classify whiny people breaking rules as priority. I'm sure they kick out unruly guests when they can etc but as things open up it's just going to be what it is. 
 

We participated in the re opening of the flea market in Monroe and surprisingly more people than not wore masks, albeit some shouldn't have bothered since they wore them incorrectly. But attempt counts right lol 6ft thing is kinda a miss except for actual lines so queues might not be so bad but wandering around people kinda still pass in smaller herds but people walk in different paces so you might get closer than 6ft passing.  It's all going to boil down to individual comfort levels. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

This is my main concern about masks at theme parks. Those N95's that have the big plastic valve on the front of them sure would do some major damage to a persons face 3 rows back when they blow off at 90 mph. 

We were looking at the gaiters so could at least get away from relying on ears or a headband to keep them from flying off if we're required.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Well They can hire ( people need jobs now) more security to have at each coaster. Besides isn't it their jobs to enforce the rules of riding the coasters. That's literally their job so if you ask me.....Yes they should be asked to enforce that rule. Its what they get paid for.

I agree!  I have been saying for years here that the behaviors of guests have changed (or maybe more that opportunities present themselves now easier like cell phones out on rides or sidewalk chalk:P that were not around when the park opened) to the point that they should consider having a security person be part of the ride op staff rotation.

Maybe it is their job to enforce it or maybe it is their job to inform the guest and call security for non-compliance, but most people do not like confrontation, especially a young teenager wanting to work in rides.  Again there are exceptions and we have ride-ops on this forum that do a great job, but I have witnessed smoking in station and when reported to a ride op, they simply shrug their shoulders.

I have also seen ride-ops from this forum going above and beyond and be walking to/from break and stop a guest to inform them about the smoking policy.  Or even better, they are a guest in the park and bring it to the guests attention!  But I have also seen security walk right past someone smoking and it was obvious they were smoking and do nothing...enforcement is inconsistent at best.

No joke - last year at CP a dude was smoking a cigarette in the queue line at Magnum and was next to get on the ride and was literally blowing his smoke into the employee's face standing there and NOT A THING was said to the guest...I pointed it out to a super and they shrugged their shoulders.  It comes down to training.  And training probably is more safety oriented than park policy oriented.  And management willing to stand behind and empower and reward employees for doing their job.

As @LuckyluvsKIpoints out, Disney is a different situation.  Security at KI can or will only do so much.  Rarely have I seen them actually throw someone out of the park.  If Diamondback calls for security because someone had their phone out, it usually follows the route of the security person tells them of the policy and they go about the rest of their day.  If the guest gets unruly, that is when they may get tossed.  Again always exceptions and your experience may vary, but that has been mine...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I have no problem with surcharges if they are disclosed prominently and upfront. A customer can then determine if the product or service still has sufficient value to them, not buried at the bottom of some wall of text like BarberX did or on flyers like Kiko. (or KI does with Accesso).  In my view that is a deceptive business practice and is just cause for scorn and public shaming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.kalahariresorts.com/covid-19-update/

"

With the recent guidance from the state officials restricting large gatherings, we have made the decision to temporarily close all locations and plan to re-open as directed below:

  • Ohio, Friday, June 5, 2020
  • Pennsylvania on Tuesday, June 16, 2020
  • Wisconsin on Wednesday, May, 27, 2020
  • Lake Delton Waterfront Villas, now open*
  • Trappers Turn Golf Club, now open"

I think they are too optimistic about the PA location reopening next month. The county Kalahari is in is still in the red level (stay at home). They might not get to yellow by then It has to get to green to reopen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ohio Governor's announcement last week only pertains to pools regulated by local health departments, such as public pools or health clubs.  It does not apply to waterparks and amusement parks. 

I guess Kalahari believes they are not a waterpark :P

I guess we will find out if the Governor does not allow water parks to open by June 5th what it would be considered..

Kalahari may want to change their webpage as they consider themselves a waterpark...

image.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

The Ohio Governor's announcement last week only pertains to pools regulated by local health departments, such as public pools or health clubs.  It does not apply to waterparks and amusement parks. 

I guess Kalahari believes they are not a waterpark :P

I guess we will find out if the Governor does not allow water parks to open by June 5th what it would be considered..

Kalahari may want to change their webpage as they consider themselves a waterpark...

image.png

That’s going to be an interesting situation. It could be that they’re opening the hotel only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

That’s going to be an interesting situation. It could be that they’re opening the hotel only.

What would be the purpose of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

What would be the purpose of that?

Short drive to Cedar Point of course:P

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So let me get this straight.  Having a tea party with a fake princess and dancing with a oversized mouse plushie is “manly” but putting a face mask on isn’t?  :facepalm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

  :facepalm

touched your face again!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...