Jump to content
Hawaiian Coasters 325

Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Recommended Posts

Reading this thread it's hard to imagine a time when people rode coasters and even drove their cars to the park with small children not buckled in. I used to ride Beast when it had a simple lap-bar that came down across all riders. Now we're trying to figure out no-contact belt checks, facemasks for everyone, and every-other-row seating. And don't scream going down the hill because that might spread droplets. 

UGH.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Reading this thread it's hard to imagine a time when people rode coasters and even drove their cars to the park with small children not buckled in. I used to ride Beast when it had a simple lap-bar that came down across all riders. Now we're trying to figure out no-contact belt checks, facemasks for everyone, and every-other-row seating. And don't scream going down the hill because that might spread droplets. 

UGH.

I am over it and ready to go ride. The death rate is turning out to be very low and 40% of that number is because of idiots that sent covid patients to nursing homes. I am ready to open all of it

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking. I wonder if KI is testing Orion like crazy lately because maybe they plan to do some first rides on Orion like media day, first rides for the fundraiser, and maybe season pass holders a week or so before the rest of the park opens. Just a theory of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Reading this thread it's hard to imagine a time when people rode coasters and even drove their cars to the park with small children not buckled in.

When my Mom was a kid, seatbelts weren't required by law, but her parents always made her and her siblings wear seatbelts because her parents understood the law of physics. 

Also sorry for double post.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

I am over it and ready to go ride. The death rate is turning out to be very low and 40% of that number is because of idiots that sent covid patients to nursing homes. I am ready to open all of it

Me too. I'm working, so I'm expendable---err, essential. The public is informed or should be. Let's ride!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Me too. I'm working, so I'm expendable---err, essential. The public is informed or should be. Let's ride!

LOL! That is exactly what I told the guys at work. We are expendable

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I was thinking. I wonder if KI is testing Orion like crazy lately because maybe they plan to do some first rides on Orion like media day, first rides for the fundraiser, and maybe season pass holders a week or so before the rest of the park opens. Just a theory of mine.

Or maintenance has nothing else to do so they are having some fun. The Bossman said fine, but if you break it you fix it.  OK.  

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Banshee was built full timers throughout Kings Island got a chance to ride well before any media or employee day. I’m not sure if there back in the office but you’ll probably see some of them riding soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

I haven’t read through all of the way but anything new on the first riders event and media day? Cancelled?

Nope nothing new. I think they will at least do a media day so that they can show off the ride to the media and let them talk about it to their audiences. For the people who raised the money for the benefit, I think they'l do something. It might be a multi day thing so that they don't have huge crowds coming at once. Probably depending on how much you raised. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Nope nothing new. I think they will at least do a media day so that they can show off the ride to the media and let them talk about it to their audiences. For the people who raised the money for the benefit, I think they'l do something. It might be a multi day thing so that they don't have huge crowds coming at once. Probably depending on how much you raised. 

Yeah, i was supposed to be on the first train, I was spot number 15. If it gets cancelled, It’ll be a little disappointing but I’m still glad I raised over 600 dollars for families in need

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully, Cedar Fair will re-program their ticketing system to first call up the  reservation process instead of just adding on a “reservation module” to their existing system like Six Flags did.  A lot of unhappy customers with Safari tickets that can’t use them because no times available for the day they bought their ticket.

Unfortunately the launch of the reservation system has been problematic for those trying to use it (lots of crashing), but also the basic procedure in which Six Flags has implemented it is flawed at the core. They are requiring guests to buy tickets for the Safari FIRST, and then once they have your money, then you can try to get a reservation. Unfortunately this means you have to buy a ticket without even knowing if the date you can visit is even available at all, and if not, you are left with tickets you may possibly never be able to use. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Governor Office Press Conference Updates:

Regarding fairs, the working group (task force) came up with a protocol to allow the local county fair board to work with their county health department to develop a plan for the 4-h junior competitions to occur, except for livestock - so photography, etc. can happen. 

Whether a County Fair happens is now up to the local level.  All social distancing and other requirements still apply for a fair and any that already exist that overlap like food are still in effect.  He hopes that if a county fair doesn't occur, he hopes they can still figure out a way for the local 4-h to continue.

Here's a story of DeWine putting in standards for Junior Fair only.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/county-fair-regulations-junior-fair-exhibits-only-touching-animals/BTUvClmeBnwvO2TgY084uM/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bengalsguy23 said:

Is there any chance we see contactless restraint checks like Disney does? Does anyone know the reason most parks do hand checks? Is it state legislation, company policy, for insurance reasons or something else?

I could see the potential of the ride operator walking down, asking the guests to pull on their seatbelt for them and then pull on the restraint.  It is a confirmation that the restraint is actively working.  It's a safety item.  I seem to recall Disney asking me to push down and pull up on a restraint at one point as well when I was there recently.

13 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

How would you work that with the seat belts though?  Does the ride monitor seat belts?

Most rides don't even monitor the restraints, on an individual basis.  The B&Ms do, as does Delirium.  I think that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Hopefully, Cedar Fair will re-program their ticketing system to first call up the  reservation process instead of just adding on a “reservation module” to their existing system like Six Flags did.  A lot of unhappy customers with Safari tickets that can’t use them because no times available for the day they bought their ticket.

Unfortunately the launch of the reservation system has been problematic for those trying to use it (lots of crashing), but also the basic procedure in which Six Flags has implemented it is flawed at the core. They are requiring guests to buy tickets for the Safari FIRST, and then once they have your money, then you can try to get a reservation. Unfortunately this means you have to buy a ticket without even knowing if the date you can visit is even available at all, and if not, you are left with tickets you may possibly never be able to use. 

No way in heck would I risk a visit or my $ with a system like that. Could definitely turn into bad PR if they don't resolve refunds or the ticketing quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone's doing something at Diamondbacks water hole9E24F6DF-EDCA-4EF3-A7E0-2440C9A3572B.png

as your looking at it right side guy in black jacket was tossing something into the little bit of water there

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

Someone's doing something at Diamondbacks water hole9E24F6DF-EDCA-4EF3-A7E0-2440C9A3572B.png

as your looking at it right side guy in black jacket was tossing something into the little bit of water there

Is fishing open in Ohio? ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw some of the social media feedback on the Six Flags debacle for the Great Adventure Safari. Site crashed, reservations at the end of the process after having to buy a ticket, couldn't book a reservation. Not a good omen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Someone's doing something at Diamondbacks water hole9E24F6DF-EDCA-4EF3-A7E0-2440C9A3572B.thumb.png.9430e7e1b0e55f90605e8cc5e3bc84ef.png

as your looking at it right side guy in black jacket was tossing something into the little bit of water there

Looks like he was tossing some sort of algae killing tablet like for swimming pools. The water seems like it cleared up.

b7733add7f0acf6086e519343dc8bb5c.jpg

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kentucky Kingdom opens June 29 with the waterpark shortly thereafter.  From their website:

Kentucky Kingdom will open on June 29, 2020.  Hurricane Bay water park will open shortly thereafter”

Hopefully, we will hear Kings Island and Cedar Point plans soon.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

Kentucky Kingdom opens June 29 with the waterpark shortly thereafter.  From their website:

Kentucky Kingdom will open on June 29, 2020.  Hurricane Bay water park will open shortly thereafter”

Hopefully, we will hear Kings Island and Cedar Point plans soon.

 

I have been checking the Kings Island website daily and the last time they made any kind of announcement was May 8th. I am hoping that near that date, there will be an announcement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

Someone's doing something at Diamondbacks water hole

This made me think of Sheriff Woody. "Somebody's poisoned the water hole!" :D 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Joshua said:

This made me think of Sheriff Woody. "Somebody's poisoned the water hole!" :D 

Somebody's chlorinated the water hole!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a bit off topic but it is covid related. Holiwood Nights is happening Aug 28 and 29. It was just announced on Facebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The order doesn't really mean a whole lot. They extended the stay at home order until today back in May 1st, and look how many times it's been edited. This new order is just because the current one expires midnight tonight I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like some work around Diamondback lift hill, maybe we'll get to see some test runs in a few days if they fill the pond.

 

20200530_092159.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...