Kings Island and Cedar Point opening Mid-May

BoddaH1994

4 hours ago, Thabto said:

I'm wondering if CP and KI will open on the same day. That would be a conflicting choice for me to make. And I wonder if there will still be buyout days at the beginning of the season.

I would send both parks a Request For Bid and see which comes back with the better offer.  :P

This could be interesting for the park. On one hand, a lot of people won't have as much discretionary spending money available once all is said and done, but on the other hand, a lot of people will also be looking for things to do once everything goes back to normal (as much as possible), so we could see an increase in amusement park attendance in the long run.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

^ They’ve said they are adding operating days. It’ll be interesting to see where goes.

Definitely more days in August and September as well. Maybe the first two weekends in November?? There have been many nice early November weekends when I wished the park was open!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Not the point of Winterfest. Different crowd. 

Plus Winterfest is basically a bonus season as reflected in prices because the season pass prices and meal and drink plan prices did not go up exponentially as a result of adding Winterfest...

But it is amazing how many "enthusiasts" one does see at Winterfest trying to add to their ride counts...and how many first-world complaints KI gets about not having more coasters open...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Plus Winterfest is basically a bonus season as reflected in prices because the season pass prices and meal and drink plan prices did not go up exponentially as a result of adding Winterfest...

But it is amazing how many "enthusiasts" one does see at Winterfest trying to add to their ride counts...and how many first-world complaints KI gets about not having more coasters open...

Point is having more winterfest days to make up for the short season does not help someone that bought platinum and all season FLP does it?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Point is having more winterfest days to make up for the short season does not help someone that bought platinum and all season FLP does it?

Now THAT I agree with!  And with that your thought process, it should be more than one ride!  Exchanging say 10 warm weather and all rides running days with 10 cold-weather days with no major rides running isn't an even trade...

I am actually shocked that they made such as statement to begin with - way too many variables beyond their control... I get that they had to make a statement, but they could have left it vague at this point like the second part of the announcement...

Based on latest projections (that get worse every day), I do not see them opening mid-May.

On Friday, Ohio had 169 confirmed cases when KI and CP announced this delay of opening day...and today jumped to 247.  Now without getting into the whole "but they don't have enough tests" and political comments, and given most colleges in Ohio cancelled the rest of the semester before we even had 5 confirmed cases, I do not see much opening until we are well on the decline of new daily cases.  At what number of new cases do we say "it is now safe to go back to normal activities"?  Is it 5 days of no new cases?  What if we go 5 days of no new cases and then go 3 days with new cases increasing 10% daily, do we start this cycle over?

So what happens if mid-May gets pushed to mid-June or mid-July, or even longer based on this timeline?  At some point, CF will not be able to add new days to make up what is lost unless they simply scratch the whole season and say 2020 passes are good for 2021.

I wonder how many people realize what we are experiencing would be our new normal without vaccines...

image.png
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Now THAT I agree with!  And with that your thought process, it should be more than one ride!  Exchanging say 10 warm weather and all rides running days with 10 cold-weather days with no major rides running isn't an even trade...

I am actually shocked that they made such as statement to begin with.

Based on latest projections (that get worse every day), I do not see them opening mid-May.

On Friday, Ohio had 169 confirmed cases when KI and CP announced this delay of opening day...and today jumped to 247.  Now without getting into the whole "but they don't have enough tests" and political comments, and given most colleges in Ohio cancelled the rest of the semester before we even had 5 confirmed cases, I do not see much opening until we are well on the decline of new daily cases.  At what number of new cases do we say "it is now safe to go back to normal activities"?  Is it 5 days of no new cases?  What if we go 5 days of no new cases and then go 3 days with new cases increasing 10% daily, do we start this cycle over?

So what happens if mid-May gets pushed to mid-June or mid-July, or even longer based on this timeline?  At some point, CF will not be able to add new days to make up what is lost unless they simply scratch the whole season and say 2020 passes are good for 2021.

I wonder how many people realize what we are experiencing would be our new normal without vaccines...

image.png

You know what’s funny? I was thinking about this the other night. I don’t think I’ve even actually knowingly met an anti-vaxer in person. It seemed like the whole thing sprung up over night on Facebook with several people preaching to the choir who really have no other way of making themselves feel smart.  I feel like it’s an incredibly tiny minority who believes that it causes autism with an army of people standing in their soapboxes talking about how much smarter they are than them. 

See also: flat earthers 

• Like 3

I'm just going back to my original thought process of considering this season a wash. Each day things seem to get worse and with needed supplies so scarce right now I just don't see amusement parks being a big priority right now. Hopefully for 2021 we'll be up and running.

My guess is the the added days will be in August when they are usually closed the last two weeks. It would be hard for them to stay open later in the year after Haunt since they need to setup Winterfest, which takes every day they have to get it setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^I have a friend who's an anti-vaxer and its kinda scary how seriously she takes that position.  

Oh totally possible. I’ve seen message board stuff of people saying, “I watched my friend’s kid descend into autism immediately after the shot!” And so on. I’ve just never actually met someone that knew to believe that. I’m not defending it in anyway way. I think it’s ridiculous. Growing up they had things at school where we would go in a few weeks before the first day and get all the shots. No one ever thought anything of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

^I have a friend who's an anti-vaxer and its kinda scary how seriously she takes that position

As parent with 2 children on the spectrum I understand the temptation to find the bogeyman.  We don’t don’t why, as hard as you work at it progress is slow or even backwards many times.  There is no cure, you lay at wake at night and fear what will happen to them when you die.  Fearing the worst, you imagine them as homeless and self treating with drugs and overdosing or even worse.  

My parents were scientists, I believe in science above all else.  When science doesn’t have the answers it is all to easy to turn elsewhere.

This is my biggest fear right now.  In our current situation when science cant just “fix it”.  What is society going to turn to?  There is no end to the charlatans out there with the “solution” our problems.   

• Like 2

^I also why its mostly limited to autism when there are a myriad of conditions that you can get a childbirth.  Heck, the one I had is one of them and I've met parents at group meetings, and that kind of thinking is never brought up (well, only to laugh it out of the room).  

And yes, my support group, both the one I see as well as the national group that its under, is very anti-anti-vaxer.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coaster sally said:

But it does help. Winterfest is included in your platinum. I know you are gonna say but but but... I could have just bought a gold pass. Well Winterfest is at several Cedar Fair Parks. Also last year King's Dominion added Fast Lane to Winterfest so I'm sure your all Season Fast Lane is good there if its all chain Fast Lane like mine is. After seeing how slow the single rider line moved last year I wouldn't mind seeing the fastlane added for King's Island Winterfest too.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

As parent with 2 children on the spectrum I understand the temptation to find the bogeyman.  We don’t don’t why, as hard as you work at it progress is slow or even backwards many times.  There is no cure, you lay at wake at night and fear what will happen to them when you die.  Fearing the worst, you imagine them as homeless and self treating with drugs and overdosing or even worse.  

My parents were scientists, I believe in science above all else.  When science doesn’t have the answers it is all to easy to turn elsewhere.

This is my biggest fear right now.  In our current situation when science cant just “fix it”.  What is society going to turn to?  There is no end to the charlatans out there with the “solution” our problems.   

I feel for you!

It is very easy to blame someone or something else.

The fact of the matter is nobody really knows for sure.

Saw a recent study that said kids were 67% more likely to develop autism if their grandmother was a smoker...something along the lines of it being due to some sort of epigenetic modification that the grandmother passes on to the mother when she’s pregnant.  

Every person I know that is on the spectrum either has parents that smoke or their grandmother did...so let's see if this forum has any outliers, which it will because almost nothing is 100%...

Jenny McCarthy, probably credited with the whole anti-vax movement (whether true or not I don't know), but certainly very vocal about it is you guessed it...a smoker....but she will not entertain that could be the reason why her child has autism.

Some of my friends that are smokers are quick to blame their child's autism on anything but their own habit...

It could be due to anything - smoking, drinking, chemicals in the ink in tattoos that get into the bloodstream, environmental factors, what the mother ate while pregnant...the list goes on and on and you can probably find a study somewhere that would substantiate your viewpoint...and many of these studies are also not done scientifically, which then further erodes and propagates wrong information...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thabto said:

Maybe they will start Winterfest the weekend after Haunt ends this year. 

I’ll gladly take more Winterfest days. It’s my favorite time of year to go to the park. 

longer hours at Winterfest would be nicer. Five hours goes quickly at that of that evemt

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I have never seen the whining and entitlement like the some of the season pass holders on FaceBook posts from the park. Good lord, I’d feel like giving them NOTHING at this point. 

You are right. Season passes are cheap Compared to individual tickets! And you only have to go a few times to get your moneys worth. These people think they are in the park for $100-200 season pass!   

They  should appreciate that they get into the park so cheaply for a whole year  And be willing to support the park in a time like this

• Like 3

On 3/20/2020 at 4:19 PM, adamc said:

My question would be where the work force would be coming from if they are adding days which would be still in the warmer months when school is starting back up 

Back in the paramount days when I worked there, they pulled us rides maintenance workers as ride operators when the rides kids went back to school, the plus side is if there was a 29, we’re already there lol

57 minutes ago, super7 said:

You are right. Season passes are cheap Compared to individual tickets! And you only have to go a few times to get your moneys worth. These people think they are in the park for $100-200 season pass!   

They  should appreciate that they get into the park so cheaply for a whole year  And be willing to support the park in a time like this

Completely agree but when a family also buys the platinum meal plans a shortened season changes things. Without the full summer it becomes a waste especially if busy school schedules make it hard to get to the park in the fall even a couple of times.  Uncertainty leads to anxiety but the park is in the same boat, they don’t know what is going to happen.   

Whatever happens I believe CF will come out with a plan that works for the majority of people and will then do their best to work with those that have unique situations.  I just haven’t seen anything in their history that would indicate otherwise. 

Hesitant to say this but I think younger folks just don’t have the life experience yet to trust that these kind of things usually work out fine in the end.  

• Like 1