Kings Island and Cedar Point opening Mid-May

BoddaH1994

3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Completely agree but when a family also buys the platinum meal plans a shortened season changes things. Without the full summer it becomes a waste especially if busy school schedules make it hard to get to the park in the fall even a couple of times.  Uncertainty leads to anxiety but the park is in the same boat, they don’t know what is going to happen.   

Whatever happens I believe CF will come out with a plan that works for the majority of people and will then do their best to work with those that have unique situations.  I just haven’t seen anything in their history that would indicate otherwise. 

Hesitant to say this but I think younger folks just don’t have the life experience yet to trust that these kind of things usually work out fine in the end.  

The meal plans are pretty low pice Compared to individual meals.      10 meals break even. 

the issue is probably that people have taken such big advantage of these season passes and meal plans they are getting upset that they won’t get 50 meals or 25 visits this year. But it’s a sense of entitlement. 

I do think that Cedar Fair has excellent customer service and They will will do things to make their customers happy.    Unlike six flags. 

• Like 4

Although it is not a direct comparison because the usual $13 baskets include a drink when the meal plan doesn’t, the selection is limited so you tend to just settle, and often times, especially with kids, you get a full meal when a cheaper snack would have sufficed.  It all depends how short the season is.  

But all of this is really small potatoes compared to the big picture.  

15 hours ago, super7 said:

The meal plans are pretty low pice Compared to individual meals.      10 meals breaks even. 

the issue is probably that people have taken such big advantage of these season passes and meal plans they are getting upset that they won’t get 50 meals or 25 visits this year. But it’s a sense of entitlement. 

I do think that Cedar Fair has excellent customer service and They will will do things to make their customers happy.    Unlike six flags. 

Let's face it, people are gonna complain about making them whole no matter what CF does.

It is especially easy to complain sitting behind a computer...

I think the ones that potentially get hurt the most are the platinum pass holders, especially if their planned visits to other parks were over spring break.  Granted for those in Ohio, you could probably get a few visits in to the park on the other side of the state (depending where you are located) to make it worth it, but I suspect there will be many that have a platinum pass this year and only now make it to one park.

But I am sure there are gold pass holders that can make the argument and have a past history to prove that they got their value in April and May and their work prevents them from visiting other times of the year.  In fact, I know some in that situation.

We really don't know what is coming ahead.  What if travel restrictions occur across state lines, or the Canadian border?  I could definitely see a situation where a park is open but travel restrictions prevent a pass holder from getting there.

I do agree that at the end of the day the pass and meal plans are a tremendous value and I have stated on this forum before that I would be in favor of increased prices if it would eliminate the Fast Lane and allow for smaller crowds and better overall experience while allowing CF to make as much money as they would with the current model of lower prices and higher attendance numbers.  I am sure I am in the minority in that statement...But the October crowds at KI and CP diminish the value of the pass in my opinion.

But these are small potato's in the big scheme of things...

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Let's face, people are gonna complain about making them whole no matter what CF does.

It is especially easy to complain sitting behind a computer...

I think the ones that potentially get hurt the most are the platinum pass holders, especially if their planned visits to other parks were over spring break.  Granted for those in Ohio, you could probably get a few visits in to the park on the other side of the state (depending where you are located) to make it worth it, but I suspect there will be many that have a platinum pass this year and only now make it to one park.

But I am sure there are gold pass holders that can make the argument and have a past history to prove that they got their value in April and May and their work prevents them from visiting other times of the year.  In fact, I know some in that situation.

We really don't know what is coming ahead.  What if travel restrictions occur across state lines, or the Canadian border?  I could definitely see a situation where a park is open but travel restrictions prevent a pass holder from getting there.

I do agree that at the end of the day the pass and meal plans are a tremendous value and I have stated on this forum before that I would be in favor of increased prices if it would eliminate the Fast Lane and allow for smaller crowds and better overall experience while allowing CF to make as much money as they would with the current model of lower prices and higher attendance numbers.  I am sure I am in the minority in that statement...But the October crowds at KI and CP diminish the value of the pass in my opinion.

But these are small potato's in the big scheme of things...

That is interesting to think about. If domestic travel within the United States was restricted, it would definitely be a problem for pass holders in Indiana, Kentucky, etc. It would be interesting in the case of a park like Carowinds which is in two states, so season pass holders would really have a problem. Hopefully, though, all of this is passed once Kings Island finally opens whether it is May, June, or even July or August.

6 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

That is interesting to think about. If domestic travel within the United States was restricted, it would definitely be a problem for pass holders in Indiana, Kentucky, etc. It would be interesting in the case of a park like Carowinds which is in two states, so season pass holders would really have a problem. Hopefully, though, all of this is passed once Kings Island finally opens whether it is May, June, or even July or August.

I think Carowinds being in 2 states is why you can't carry around a beer with you. It has to stay at the area where you buy it.

• Like 1

If traveling is restricted, they're going to want to draw in as much of the local crowd as they can and I'm not sure raising prices is the best way to go about that, especially with the way things are going right now. 

• Like 2

I think it's kind of borked to be taking money out of people's bank accounts when they have no income...for something that has no value...this is unacceptable, full stop.

I'm not complaining about not getting into the park, I'm not complaining about the money already flushed down the toilet, I'm not being entitled.

If they dont suspend payment plans I'd imagine Cedar Fair will join disney as a company that will never see another cent of my money...there are roller coasters in other parks...if parks are even a thing anymore

I think it's kind of borked to be taking money out of people's bank accounts when they have no income...for something that has no value...this is unacceptable, full stop.
I'm not complaining about not getting into the park, I'm not complaining about the money already flushed down the toilet, I'm not being entitled.
If they dont suspend payment plans I'd imagine Cedar Fair will join disney as a company that will never see another cent of my money...there are roller coasters in other parks...if parks are even a thing anymore
Check out the terms and conditions of the contract you made.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, raggedman07 said:

Omg parks aren’t going to be closed forever. One domino effect it would collapse an entire industry and a big tourism chunk. Not to mention then the explosion of unemployed vs jobs avail if that happened. Most will likely do the suggested 8 weeks then do rolling restarts. Possibly with locals first then allow border states etc. I don’t expect disney to go all out right off The Bat. They will probably do a soft opening like AP and locals and the reservations that weren’t canceled. Then start to refill again. 

i think they could offer a choice but I’d be unhappy if they paused my plan as I have it set to end a certain month for a reason. But giving others who have different circumstances sure.  And if you call I’m sure they will work with people because this is such a unprecedented event. 

• Like 2

I expect Kings Island and Cedar Point's opening to be a process and not just open. Here is my guess of how the process would work

1) start by doing the media day/first rider auction events

2) then do some season pass events for Orion and have some select other rides open

3) have a season pass event with the whole park open

4) then open the park to everyone else

Just a thought of mine. I could be way off. 

• Like 3

Ohio Governor just issued a "stay at home" or shutdown Order in effect Monday night until April 6th at least...essential businesses (grocery, fuel, hospitals, food carryout, etc) still open and are looking for additional employees...

On Thursday day-care goes to less than 6 kids per room and needs a pandemic license to operate until April 30th...

Can go outside and take a walk and go to parks but playgrounds are closed...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Ohio Governor just issued a "stay at home" or shutdown Order in effect Monday night until April 6th at least...

On Thursday day-care goes to less than 6 kids per room and needs a pandemic license to operate until April 30th...

Can go outside and take a walk and go to parks but playgrounds are closed...

I'm actually glad he is doing that! It's time imo! I say that Milford kid that said "he didn't care if he gets Corona" on the national news the other day probably fueled this. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm actually glad he is doing that! It's time imo! I say that Milford kid that said "he didn't care if he gets Corona" on the national news the other day probably fueled this. 

A study shows 3 in 5 people are of this "I'm not letting it stop me" attitude and all that will do is ensure that nothing opens for a long time...and the longer this goes on the more likely we will see martial law enacted...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Restaurants essential? Don’t understand that.

A LOT of people that is how they get their food....some people simply don't cook and almost every meal is from a restaurant...

And with all the hoarding going on this is the only way some can get food now...

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

A LOT of people that is how they get their food....some people simply don't cook and almost every meal is from a restaurant...

And with all the hoarding going on this is the only way some can get food now...

Most states have closed down the restaurants with similar orders. If you can’t cook a frozen meal then you have much bigger problems then this virus. 600,000+ people work in the food industry in Ohio. That’s 600k people who are now put at risk and potential carries. The grocery stores can support people eating at home. This stay at home order is by far the weakest of all those that have been issued in the states.

• Like 2

Good lord when did everyone become an expert on this situation? The people are doing what they can, life will go on. So many people making comparisons, and showing graphs on something hardly ANYONE knows about. Let the scientists and doctors get the data they need. The #'s are nowhere near accurate at the moment anyway. Also the ones worried about a amusement park opening right now kind of disgust me, it's disappointing but get over it we got bigger problems. Stay home unless its essential.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Most states have closed down the restaurants with similar orders. If you can’t cook a frozen meal then you have much bigger problems then this virus. 600,000+ people work in the food industry in Ohio. That’s 600k people who are now put at risk and potential carries. The grocery stores can support people eating at home. This stay at home order is by far the weakest of all those that have been issued in the states.

Wrong...other states and/or cities have shut down dine-in eating as Ohio has, which was last Sunday, but carryout and drive thru and delivery are still acceptable in the lockdown states (at least for now)...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/21/coronavirus-lockdown-orders-shelter-place-stay-home-state-list/2891193001/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-state-by-state-guide-to-coronavirus-lockdowns-11584749351

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/19/coronavirus-reader-questions-death-age-flu-symptoms-food-timeline/2863776001/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/this-is-what-a-coronavirus-covid-19-lockdown-means-in-new-york-california-washington-and-other-states

1 minute ago, malem said:

If restaurants were closed to carry-out and delivery, grocery stores would be a lot more crowded as the only food sources available.

Crowded grocery stores aren't good for social distancing.

People being crammed inside a fast food restaurants kitchen also isn’t good social distancing . 

• Like 2

There is also the potential for contamination of the packaging.  I have not seen recent data on the survivability on surfaces but last I read it can last hours to days. Same goes for grocery store items. Need to be careful with that as well.  

2 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

people having no money to pay their bills isn't good either

A critical issue that must be addressed immediately as well.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

There is also the potential for contamination of the packaging.  I have not seen recent data on the survivability on surfaces but last I read it can last hours to days. Same goes for grocery store items. Need to be careful with that as well.  

A critical issue that must be addressed immediately as well.  

that's my main issue here nobody seems to truly know...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

people having no money to pay their bills isn't good either

Being unemployed and collecting unemployment sounds better then working a $9 an hour job and getting sick and have to go to the hospital and get stuck with a $20,000 bill.