Kings Island and Cedar Point opening Mid-May

BoddaH1994

On 3/21/2020 at 8:58 PM, King Ding Dong said:

As parent with 2 children on the spectrum I understand the temptation to find the bogeyman.  We don’t don’t why, as hard as you work at it progress is slow or even backwards many times.  There is no cure, you lay at wake at night and fear what will happen to them when you die.  Fearing the worst, you imagine them as homeless and self treating with drugs and overdosing or even worse.  

My parents were scientists, I believe in science above all else.  When science doesn’t have the answers it is all to easy to turn elsewhere.

This is my biggest fear right now.  In our current situation when science cant just “fix it”.  What is society going to turn to?  There is no end to the charlatans out there with the “solution” our problems.   

My oldest daughter was diagnosed with autism at 18 months.  We (wife & I) were initially devastated thinking 'Rain Man'.  After some input, where we learned A TON, from medical professionals we found that she was just a tick over the autism scale & there was a chance that most would not notice her "condition" when she was older.  At that point, we made a commitment that we were going to treat her like a normal kid so that she would not use the diagnosis as a crutch.

I am happy & proud to say that 18-ish years later she is a college student that graduated cum laude from high school.

I consider ourselves lucky.  There are many on the spectrum that are unable to have the success my daughter has had.  My prayers are with your family & stay strong!  Family is the most important thing in your life!

I also do not blame vaccinations on her condition and have a serious issue with those that do.  We live in a "need to finger point the blame at someone/ something society" (i.e. "China Virus vs. Corona Virus).  Mother nature evolves just like we do.  Science will one day hopefully catch up with the current issues plaguing us today, and move on to the next big thing.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, coaster sally said:

Parks are reopening in japan such as Fuji q.

A FEW of the parks are starting to open with heavy restrictions such as face masks, temperature checks, not all areas opened, etc.

Tokyo Disneyland, DisneySea, and Universal remain closed...

Japan and China encouraged the entire population to wear face masks as they dealt with this virus, but the use of face masks are shunned in the US....will be interesting (in a bad way so far) to see how we track compared to them ...

It is understandable that China leads the number of cases given that is where it started and the size of their population.  Japan took quick action and is a fraction of cases:

As of today (and this isn't the order just the numbers of these countries):

Country       Population      Number confirmed cases

China              1.4 Billion             81,093

USA               330 Million            42,443

Japan             127 Million             1,128

Based on total confirmed cases, China is 1st, Italy is 2nd at 63,927, USA is 3rd (but projected to surpass Italy in a few days), and then Japan is 25th on the list...

20 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Looking over the order it appears KI could roll the Dippin Dots stand out to the parking lot.   Hey, something is better than nothing, right? :lol:

Should keep the rumor mill churning.

I’d totally drive 45 mins for drive through blue ki dippn dots LOLOL 

• Like 1

Just now, King Ding Dong said:

I suspect it is going to be a long time before there are enough face masks on the open market to use for amusement parks here in the US.   

One of my mothers coworkers husband is an architect for Disney and his whole department of 20 or so we’re just let go. 

I doubt we'll see the US require face masks when visiting places once they open up. The US even says only wear a mask if you are sick. 

45 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I doubt we'll see the US require face masks when visiting places once they open up. The US even says only wear a mask if you are sick. 

Is it because they won't help us or is it because there are not enough and by saying they aren't needed minimizes the panic and chaos that would occur as people realize that there aren't enough....

• Like 3

They actually aren’t hard to make 100% Cotton flannel fold accordion sew  the edges you can choose to add a pocket to insert filters s as preferred or leave them as they are as elastic or string (shoe laces work well) to tie. Boom mask. It’s actually what many of us have been asked to sew and donate for nurses etc because it’ll be a bit before demand falls or production meets the new demand. They also can be washed and resanitized so a couple to rotate and you’ve got something. 

link to free pattern

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

12 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Lots of case buying at night and some people take full cases right off the cart before we can stock it.  

That is horrible. Some places are limiting toilet paper and bottled water to a certain amount per family, but they need to limit other items as well, such as pasta. Buying full cases should not be restricted. 

Only change is people cant shop middle of the night to get a head start on everybody else and buy it all up before morning comes.

Unfortunately, it would probably remain crowded during those hours as well. 

I'm concerned that if people keep rushing the stores the way they have been, the "Shelter in Place" orders may have to be extended and that would be bad.  The longer this goes on, the longer other businesses will suffer and potentially close permanently as a result. :unsure:

22 minutes ago, Joshua said:

That is horrible. Some places are limiting toilet paper and bottled water to a certain amount per family, but they need to limit other items as well, such as pasta. Buying full cases should not be restricted. 

I'm concerned that if people keep rushing the stores the way they have been, the "Shelter in Place" orders may have to be extended and that would be bad.  The longer this goes on, the longer other businesses will suffer and potentially close permanently as a result. :unsure:

When are people going to realize this isn't a hurricane that could physically destroy the water plant or grocery store - in those situations you have to stock up in the event you physically cannot leave your house...

There is no need to stock up on bottled water - the water plants will continue to run and operate.

Grocery stores will continue to remain open.  There is no reason for someone's grocery habits (frequency going, amount purchasing, etc.) to significantly change because of this.  You can still get take out or delivery of your favorite restaurant...

And it is sad that these stores have now had to make a no return policy for all the idiots that bought all this stuff and now realize they either have to room or that yes the stores will remain open...and they really don't like Chef boyardee and spam and whatever else they bought in bulk that was "non-perishable"...

When this is all over, people are going to have cases of Chef boyardee that they will pitch because they panicked and bought it by the caseload and didn't eat one can...The amount of food that will be wasted because of people hoarding and panicking will be astronomical...

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

There are signs stating limits but it's hard to enforce. You would have to have to put limits in a computer somehow. Or something of that sort. 

On 3/23/2020 at 7:37 AM, SnakePlissken said:

Only thing that is changing is the customers who stand around at night waiting on our trucks to show up and for us to roll out the carts. They ask us what time the trucks arrive so they can be there in the middle of the night in our way. Which makes it hard to stock. Every other customer asking where things are or do we have any of x item left. Lots of case buying at night and some people take full cases right off the cart before we can stock it. Others take cases right off the shelf after we stock it. Others open boxes on the cart we are trying to stock. Others demand we dig something off the bottom of a cart for them and get angry when we don't. Sometimes they start unstacking cases from our cart and making a mess in the process. Others decide they no longer want that full case they took and just sit it back on the self where ever they feel like it. In the wrong spot. Sometimes in the wrong aisle. There is no "social distancing" either when its like that. If I'm gonna catch covid-19 then there is nothing I can do. I've been too close to too many people already. So if you shop 6pm-10pm nothing is changing. The shelves still gonna be just as blown as it has been for 10 plus days. Only change is people cant shop middle of the night to get a head start on everybody else and buy it all up before morning comes.

It's the rope drop style shopping ppl are still doing that is making it hard to get even essentials. Stores here are only open until 7am-8:30pm, so 3 hours to shop after work, BUT people are continuing to hoard and by the time I have gotten there all meats and frozen foods are gone. 

17 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

It's the rope drop style shopping ppl are still doing that is making it hard to get even essentials. Stores here are only open until 7am-8:30pm, so 3 hours to shop after work, BUT people are continuing to hoard and by the time I have gotten there all meats and frozen foods are gone. 

My Kroger is wiped out in the first hour.  It is ridiculous how selfish and dumb people are...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

There are signs stating limits but it's hard to enforce. You would have to have to put limits in a computer somehow. Or something of that sort. 

Well cashiers aren’t robots yet ;) they have been taking extras away and they have someone putting them back on the shelves. This was at Kroger with no self checks. But it is easy to add a check limit same as alcohol age check etc.  it’s really how much or well the person running the registers takes control over the limits. 

i don’t understand it either because this isn’t like a tornado or a weather event that might destroy structures. I can see Dayton being jumpy and a little ptsd from not having recovered yet from the Memorial Day tornadoes there are still homes with damage not yet fixed but livable. Unless I guess they’re thinking what if the utility workers all get sick I dunno but yes the water still runs and the tp well still be made slow down people. 

worst  case if you run out just hop in the shower after.  Water still cleans too :)

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:00 AM, coaster sally said:

Parks are reopening in japan such as Fuji q.

Japan is now seeing an uptick in new cases since they started to loosen requirements last weekend and their leaders are encouraging everyone to shelter indoors this weekend to try to reverse the trend...

Japan hasn't declared an emergency yet, but if their numbers don't decline we will probably be reading about the few parks that started to reopen close again...

I would think ramping up for a park opening and then open for a week and then have to shut down again for two-three months would be more devastating to a regional chain financially than just staying closed....which is why I think we will see the Disney and Universal be some of the last parks to re-open as they will want to wait it out and see if a second wave hits...

• Like 3

I sorta agree and disagree with the whole "open up the economy by Easter thing." I agree that people need to be able to make money and have a house to live in. However, I think that we need to have social distancing go on for a little longer so we can help flatten the curve. I saw this article that basically compares the effects on reopening the economy after 14 days to keeping the social distancing measures for 2 months and it shows that if we keep the measures in place longer, it can really help flatten the curve. 

Edit: here is the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/25/opinion/coronavirus-trump-reopen-america.html

• Like 2

I know that it has been pointed out before but is worth repeating. This is not just about Covid19 cases.  If the HC system is overrun, what about all the other reasons people use hospitals.  Heart Attacks, strokes, cancer treatments, accidents etc., etc.   We are already having to delay or reduce some cancer treatments. Chemo and radiation just kill your immune system.  Can’t bring those people into a hospital with covid19 cases lining the hallways.  Think about your 45 year old mom getting breast cancer and can’t get treatment. 

Right now businesses are being asked politely to ramp up production of PPE and they are but they will do so at a pace that ensures they still remain profitable.   They are not going to build out to increase production by 20X to all of a sudden have demand fall back to normal levels in a year or two and then have all this idle capacity they invested in.  That is not maximizing shareholder value.

We need a war time footing with a command economy in certain sectors right now and it is not happening. 

We all know all to well what happens to a park that over expands and then demand falls.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine lost both of his grandparents about 2 years ago. He said he said he was kinda grateful they weren't around for this because their immune systems were basically shot while they were still alive. People with low immune systems are the main reason we're all so concerned about this virus.

It drove me nuts when college kids still decided to go on spring break not acknowledging that they could infect their grandparents or someone else with a weak immune system. 

• Like 7

On 3/23/2020 at 11:08 AM, disco2000 said:

It is understandable that China leads the number of cases given that is where it started and the size of their population.  Japan took quick action and is a fraction of cases:

As of today (and this isn't the order just the numbers of these countries):

Country       Population      Number confirmed cases

China              1.4 Billion             81,093

USA               330 Million            42,443

Japan             127 Million             1,128

Based on total confirmed cases, China is 1st, Italy is 2nd at 63,927, USA is 3rd (but projected to surpass Italy in a few days), and then Japan is 25th on the list...

So in 3 days, USA now leads the number of confirmed cases.  Strive to be #1

Country   Population       #Confirmed Cases

USA          330 Million           85, 268

China        1.4 Billion             81,340

Japan       127 Million             1,292

Japan has dropped to 29th on the list, even with a recent uptick in cases. 

Meanwhile Ohio (population 11.5 million) is only 425 cases away from surpassing Japan...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I know that it has been pointed out before but is worth repeating. This is not just about Covid19 cases.  If the HC system is overrun, what about all the other reasons people use hospitals.  Heart Attacks, strokes, cancer treatments, accidents etc., etc.   We are already having to delay or reduce some cancer treatments. Chemo and radiation just kill your immune system.  Can’t bring those people into a hospital with covid19 cases lining the hallways.  Think about your 45 year old mom getting breast cancer and can’t get treatment. 

Right now businesses are being asked politely to ramp up production of PPE and they are but they will do so at a pace that ensures they still remain profitable.   They are not going to build out to increase production by 20X to all of a sudden have demand fall back to normal levels in a year or two and then have all this idle capacity they invested in.  That is not maximizing shareholder value.

We need a war time footing with a command economy in certain sectors right now and it is not happening. 

We all know all to well what happens to a park that over expands and then demand falls.

Hanesbrands in Winston-Salem, NC has converted atleast one of the factories from underwear and socks to N95 masks. 

So yes some industries are stepping up to the plate to help 3M or other companies. 

https://www.wfmynews2.com/mobile/article/news/local/hanesbrands-producing-face-masks/83-d0d46c7b-31e8-4903-914a-c8d991cafd55

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

The virsus is spreading rapidly in the United States. I am hoping we are in the the thick of the storm but honestly I don't think we are. I am preparing myself that this season might be a complete washout.   

Part of it is that more and more testing is available. That is part of why there are much more cases everyday and why we are the new epicenter of the virus. Yes, spreading is also a part of it. People are predicting we are still a few weeks out from the peak. Also, someone in Ohio (I don't know if it was Dewine or not) predicted that we might see 8,000 cases a day by peak time.

Anyways, No I don't think our season is gone or will be. However, it will very likely be shorter than normal. 

• Like 2