Kings Island and Cedar Point opening Mid-May

BoddaH1994

54 minutes ago, Joshua said:

There are also still people out there calling it a "hoax" and a "scam." 

Dig a little deeper and some religious leaders with sizable followings claim it is a secular attempt to keep them from worshiping as they see fit.  As of last night, my MIL believes it is a conspiracy cooked up by China and the liberals to destroy the president. She has cooked lungs from lymphoma treatments, and some autoimmune diseases, not likely to survive if she gets it.  Neither is the FIL that had part of a lung removed due to cancer a few years ago.  They didn’t used to be like this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Dig a little deeper and some religious leaders with sizable followings claim it is a secular attempt to keep them from worshiping as they see fit.  As of last night, my MIL believes it is a conspiracy cooked up by China and the liberals to destroy the president. She has cooked lungs from lymphoma treatments, and some autoimmune diseases, not likely to survive if she gets it.  Neither is the FIL that had part of a lung removed due to cancer a few years ago.  They didn’t used to be like this.

Sounds like they watch a certain news channel.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

The truth is that none of us know the truth. We only know what is spoon fed to us by politicians, media and social media. Only a few elite know the truth: did it come from bats in Wuhan? Did the Chinese engineer it in retaliation to the trade war? Did US soldiers "drop" the virus into Wuhan?

None of us know. We may think we do, but we don't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

But most (maybe all) states have excluded religious activities from the ban....thus protecting the separation of church and state as the law calls for....which long term is probably contributing to the spread...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I think our only hope right now for any kind of season is that the weather warms up quickly and they virus' hopefully doesn't do well in warm weather. I know that there is no proof of that but it's what I am hoping for. 

There is actually evidence against that theory about warm weather and the virus. Florida and Hawaii have a lot of cases of the virus and there are cases in the southern hemisphere (like Australia) that have a lot of cases.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

There is actually evidence against that theory about warm weather and the virus. Florida and Hawaii have a lot of cases of the virus and there are cases in the southern hemisphere (like Australia) that have a lot of cases.

Yes florida has cases but to be fair Australia is in their autumn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The truth is that none of us know the truth. We only know what is spoon fed to us by politicians, media and social media. Only a few elite know the truth: did it come from bats in Wuhan? Did the Chinese engineer it in retaliation to the trade war? Did US soldiers "drop" the virus into Wuhan?

None of us know. We may think we do, but we don't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yep, maybe we are all in the Matrix.  :lol:

Supposedly UV kills the virus. If UV rays kills the virus, then it's less of a hazard on sunny days. I know there's cases in FL, HI, etc. but did they contract the virus on a cloudy day, being indoors or in too close of quarters for the virus to be killed by UV quick enough? Those are the big unknowns. 

Edit: did a little more reasearch on that. Says UV rays from sun aren't strong enough to kill the virus

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, raggedman07 said:

It was pretty warm here yesterday...when I got in my car it was summertime car hot inside...do we think the inside of the car is sterilized at 120?...130?...140 is food safe...does that mean anything?...I have no idea...just asking questions...

When the FDA talks about safe meat temperatures the tables such as poultry @165F it is referring to instant kill temps (3 seconds, I think)  but it is all a function of time.  A lower temp will provide the same (99%) kill if kept at a that temp for a longer period time.  I used to have the pdf they published about it a few years ago but cant find it right now).  But this is all about food borne pathogens, not airborne/contact pathogens. 

I have read that covid-19 is relatively easy to kill the problem is it is very contagious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

This is a misunderstanding of what warmer weather means to the spread of a virus.  Warmer weather brings an end to the cold and flu season, but it does not mean you cannot get the cold or flu in the summer, just that it is less likely.  A virus can and will still spread, just more slowly.

Anyways the number of cases in a location is meaningless on its own.  You have to examine where the person was infected, how many people did they infect, etc.

Australia is still a prime example of how warmer weather is likely to slow the spread of covid-19.  The Australian Department of Health has statistics on how every known case was acquired.  Here is their nice little graph, most of which is purple, which as it states on the graph means the individual was infected overseas.  There is community spread, but currently it is very slow.

covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-state-and

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kenban said:

This is a misunderstanding of what warmer weather means to the spread of a virus.  Warmer weather brings an end to the cold and flu season, but it does not mean you cannot get the cold or flu in the summer, just that it is less likely.  A virus can and will still spread, just more slowly.

Anyways the number of cases in a location is meaningless on its own.  You have to examine where the person was infected, how many people did they infect, etc.

Australia is still a prime example of how warmer weather is likely to slow the spread of covid-19.  The Australian Department of Health has statistics on how every known case was acquired.  Here is their nice little graph, most of which is purple, which as it states on the graph means the individual was infected overseas.  There is community spread, but currently it is very slow.

covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-state-and

Its autumn in Australia.

• Like 1

the way I understand it, the warm weather doesn't necessarily kill the virus any more or less than cold weather, at least not in a significant way, what it does however is limits how far it can travel and carry in the air from an infected patient.  In the cold, often thin air, your air plume can travel up to 6 feet from your mouth, hence the 6 foot restriction.  In the summer time, with warmer, more humid air, your air plume is often limited to 2 feet or less so the odds of transmission are significantly less.  2 feet puts you almost right on top of a person, and just out of common courtesy you are going to give someone more space than that.  @ 6t you walk within an infected person's plume with out even thinking about it.  The UV light does help, but as I understand it, that difference in Plume is why things die down in the summer.

One thing different about this, is that you can transfer the bug despite being asymptomatic.  If you have the typical flu, you only transfer it during the period you have a fever, which you are likely staying inside anyways.  But if you can transfer it when not showing any signs, and you are at spring break on crowded beaches and clubs, you are within/ 2 feet of people constantly.

• Like 1

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect/gov/f1aca594-8c96-4168-80cc-92868186f180/3-27+Presser+Final.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE.Z18_M1HGGIK0N0JO00QO9DDDDM3000-f1aca594-8c96-4168-80cc-92868186f180-n4u6sn9

Here is the projections shown at Gov. DeWine's press conference today. Scroll down to the bottom. The yellow is what it would be like had we kept going business as usual and the blue is the current trend as we are doing now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thabto said:

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect/gov/f1aca594-8c96-4168-80cc-92868186f180/3-27+Presser+Final.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE.Z18_M1HGGIK0N0JO00QO9DDDDM3000-f1aca594-8c96-4168-80cc-92868186f180-n4u6sn9

Here is the projections shown at Gov. DeWine's press conference today. Scroll down to the bottom. The yellow is what it would be like had we kept going business as usual and the blue is the current trend as we are doing now.

What is interesting is that curve is different than what they have been saying (peaking mid-may and at peak 8,000 new cases per day for days on end).  That graph at the end appears that by May 24th the new cases are just about non-existent...

It would be nice if that is true!!!  I guess time will tell.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2020 at 10:00 AM, coaster sally said:

Parks are reopening in japan such as Fuji q.

And just like that due to second wave, some Japan parks that had re-opened have temporarily re-closed...https://www.fujiq.jp/en/news/h5f6de000001wfow.html

It will be interesting to see if this closure lasts beyond the weekend...

China has already started their re-closings, so I am sure this trend will continue...

And our little state of Ohio now has more coronavirus cases than Japan...

9 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Did no one see what happened with Hong Kong going back to 'normal' too quickly and the 2nd wave they're going through?

And these were countries with some of the most restrictive measures in place (see my post in the other thread on page 28 for a compare/contrast)....imagine what our second wave is gonna look like... unfortunately I see our country looking to "re-open" sooner than some of these countries did...

The deadliest part of the 1918 flu pandemic was the second wave (it had three)..aren't we supposed to learn from history to not make the same mistakes....

• Like 7

On 3/29/2020 at 12:34 AM, disco2000 said:

And these were countries with some of the most restrictive measures in place (see my post in the other thread on page 28 for a compare/contrast)....imagine what our second wave is gonna look like... unfortunately I see our country looking to "re-open" sooner than some of these countries did...

The deadliest part of the 1918 flu pandemic was the second wave (it had three)..aren't we supposed to learn from history to not make the same mistakes....

Hopefully America will have a change in leadership to handle a second or third wave. The response has been nothing short of pathetic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, disco2000 said:

Nice to see Ohio's approach getting recognition:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52113186

I agree with that. I know people love to trash DeWine, but I always say that he doesn't play around when it comes to this. Like we had very few cases and he took action right away. That's imo a great thing.

• Like 4