Cat and Mouse Coaster

gforce1994

I was reading a document about the proposals for what eventually became Vortex, and came across a TOGO submission called Cat and Mouse.

The ride would have had multiple TOGO Looping mouse race each other through loops and turns. 

Does anyone have more information on this?

3 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

I remember reading this in the old "Genesis of a Roller Coaster" article that ran in Cincinnati Enquirer when Vortex opened. Here's a clip of the paragraph mentioning the ride.

CC8uQSv.png

I'm curious if you have a different document and what that one includes.

That was one of the files. I’m just interested on what the coaster would have been like.

The 2 specific types of coasters (that the park has ever publicly discussed) "proposed" for Vortex's site prior to KI choosing Arrow were:.

A Mack bobsled - that ended up being installed at Kings Dominion as Avalanche.

A Togo "looping mouse" that has always been rumored to have become the infamous Windjammer at Knotts.

I've never had the other "types" officially confirmed.  But I know most of the proposals were deemed too "tame." One could deduce from that article that the other proposals may have come from firms including Intamin (Switzerland) or Schwarkopf.

FYI - guests were surveyed at the front of the park back around 1983-84 on what they wanted the park to add.  I actually recall being asked my feelings about water rides by someone with a clipboard at the front gate when I went with my family in those years.

Ultimately, White Water Canyon must have surveyed high - so it took precedence over the coaster.  I've always wondered what *could* have taken "The Bat's" place had WWC not been "bumped up."

I think it goes without saying that by the mid 1980s, the park saw the writing on the wall with the "Screamin' Demon."  Couple that with the loss of "The Bat" and the fact that looping coasters were very much in vogue and it was pretty clear what the park needed at the time - and "voila" Vortex was born.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

I totally forgot about Windjammer,  Just watched the POV it looked boring and having just rode the Roller Coaster at New York New York, I can say I have no interest in riding any other Togo coasters again.  Those restraints are BRUTAL.

Windjammer spent more time closed than open.  If someone farted while riding, it would valley.

I didn't find the New York New York coaster unbearable, but I just rode once and said "check!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shaggy said:

The 2 specific types of coasters (that the park has ever publicly discussed) "proposed" for Vortex's site prior to KI choosing Arrow were:.

A Togo "looping mouse" that has always been rumored to have become the infamous Windjammer at Knotts.

I've never had the other "types" officially confirmed.  But I know most of the proposals were deemed too "tame." One could deduce from that article that the other proposals may have come from firms including Intamin (Switzerland) or Schwarkopf.

FYI - guests were surveyed at the front of the park back around 1983-84 on what they wanted the park to add.  I actually recall being asked my feelings about water rides by someone with a clipboard at the front gate when I went with my family in those years.

Ultimately, White Water Canyon must have surveyed high - so it took precedence over the coaster.  I've always wondered what *could* have taken "The Bat's" place had WWC not been "bumped up."

I think it goes without saying that by the mid 1980s, the park saw the writing on the wall with the "Screamin' Demon."  Couple that with the loss of "The Bat" and the fact that looping coasters were very much in vogue and it was pretty clear what the park needed at the time - and "voila" Vortex was born.

The Enquirer even mentioned that guests voted for WWC first. I’m wondering who the second US manufacturer was.

8 hours ago, Shaggy said:

It’s a shame that Kings Island did not get a Mac bobsled or a Schwarzkopf looping coaster at some point.    Both are excellent manufacturers his rides hold up well for many decades.

Sooperdooperlooper at Hersheypark rides smooth as possible  after 43 years.   Kings Dominions 32 year old  bobsled is an excellent ride although a little short