Coastermania postponed

On 3/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, raggedman07 said:

And yet they still haven't suspended payment plans....pretty slimy, Cedar Fair...

Or worse - what about those who paid in full and aren’t getting what was offered to them? They say they’re adding operating days but what if this goes until June or later? They gonna add 30 days in the fall? This is on top of a kind of crappy schedule with few midnight closes and Haunt closing at midnight.  KI is lucky all this is going down on a coaster year in a way otherwise there would be very little perceived value for anyone to buy a pass right now.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Or worse - what about those who paid in full and aren’t getting what was offered to them? They say they’re adding operating days but what if this goes until June or later? They gonna add 30 days in the fall? This is on top of a kind of crappy schedule with few midnight closes and Haunt closing at midnight.  KI is lucky all this is going down on a coaster year in a way otherwise there would be very little perceived value for anyone to buy a pass right now.

If the park is closed until August, at that point I don’t think they could do anything to make up for it besides offering 2021 passes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

As I have mentioned in other threads - there has to be a date they are looking at that they simply remain closed the rest of the year and your pass is valid for 2021...I feel like an August opening and they would be better off to simply stay closed at that point - no corporate events are going to happen after that, vacations of people buying daily admission drops substantially, etc. and those are about 50% of their attendance... If they open in August and from then until the rest of the year 90% of those in attendance are season pass holders, they have no real income the rest of this year...and what about parks that do not have Haunt or Winterfest - not going to open them for two weeks...

Any delayed opening beyond May and they will get so many requests for refunds, partial refunds, etc.... and if they don't open until July and simply say your pass is good for this year and the rest of next year...guess how many passes they sell for 2021????

No matter what they do they will get requests for refunds, etc. and people claiming "they are never getting another dime of my money", so they will look at it and do projections as to which way can they stay financially solvent...and it could mean not opening in 2020...

Could this be the end of payment plans if too many people simply stop paying on them?

And in the short term, they will have a difficult time selling passes for the following year in August like they typically do...people will now wait until their park opens and pay a little more...

This will create a whole new way of doing business from this point forward...

I personally look at it this way, this is out of the parks control. This is not the park trying to stiff us in any way shape or form. They want to be able to open.

If they get into May and can't open I think they will need to come up with a plan for pass holders. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I personally look at it this way, this is out of the parks control. This is not the park trying to stiff us in any way shape or form. They want to be able to open.

If they get into May and can't open I think they will need to come up with a plan for pass holders. 

Every other one of their peers (including Disney) is freezing payments and/or extending memberships. 

My guess is that they are waiting until they have a more clear idea of when opening day may be before they decide a course of action. I do agree that this is out of the company’s control, and I do not believe anyone is mad at them for the circumstances, but I do believe it is their responsibility to make things right with the people who have spent money with them. 

Again, I have faith that they will. I’m just waiting for word from them as to what’s going to happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

If the park is closed until August, at that point I don’t think they could do anything to make up for it besides offering 2021 passes.

I could think of something, but keeping Rivertown Freestyle open during all operating hours is just not realistic.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Every other one of their peers (including Disney) is freezing payments and/or extending memberships. 

My guess is that they are waiting until they have a more clear idea of when opening day may be before they decide a course of action. I do agree that this is out of the company’s control, and I do not believe anyone is mad at them for the circumstances, but I do believe it is their responsibility to make things right with the people who have spent money with them. 

Again, I have faith that they will. I’m just waiting for word from them as to what’s going to happen.

Well to be fair - they did say they would extend Knott's by the same number of days...It is the seasonal parks that they said they would add days on...

As Terpy used to say - they got your money already and what they do is subject to change at any time...Let's face it, most that purchased a season pass for 2020 did so before any operating calendar was published....most probably assumed it would be an April opening, but many could argue they also assumed 1am Haunt closings for 2020 also and aren't getting what they paid for...

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Well to be fair - they did say they would extend Knott's by the same number of days...It is the seasonal parks that they said they would add days on...

As Terpy used to say - they got your money already and what they do is subject to change at any time...Let's face it, most that purchased a season pass for 2020 did so before any operating calendar was published....most probably assumed it would be an April opening, but many could argue they also assumed 1am Haunt closings for 2020 also and aren't getting what they paid for...

See also: purchasing the dining plan before they announce the terms. 

10 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

See also: purchasing the dining plan before they announce the terms. 

Regardless of how CF addresses this current situation, it is clear for at least the short term that most people are probably going to be thinking twice about pre-purchasing anything in advance and it will be interesting to see how CF addresses this aspect.

There is some chatter/complaints people are making, but I think once April 11th hits and the reality is the park isn't opening soon, the Facebook posts will be off the charts in complaints and demands for refunds... 

That is unfortunately part of the gamble of purchasing ahead of time.  It is essentially a non-refundable purchase.  One purchases and expect it to be open, but there is always that what if... 

23 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Regardless of how CF addresses this current situation, it is clear for at least the short term that most people are probably going to be thinking twice about pre-purchasing anything in advance and it will be interesting to see how CF addresses this aspect.

There is some chatter/complaints people are making, but I think once April 11th hits and the reality is the park isn't opening soon, the Facebook posts will be off the charts in complaints and demands for refunds... 

That is unfortunately part of the gamble of purchasing ahead of time.  It is essentially a non-refundable purchase.  One purchases and expect it to be open, but there is always that what if... 

True. Also I want to note that it’s one thing to assume that the park will open in April and a later opening date is announced. It’s another to announce opening day - including selling ornaments with the date 4/11/20 on them - and then not be open anywhere near that. One is a “fool me once” situation, the other deserves some sort of squaring up, at least in my opinion. 

Just imagine trying to launch a membership program this year (which I wouldn’t doubt they were considering).  How do you think that’ll go?

Again, I do have faith they will do the right thing. I don’t want our rants to get people worked up for something that hasn’t happened yet. 

4 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

True. Also I want to note that it’s one thing to assume that the park will open in April and a later opening date is announced. It’s another to announce opening day - including selling ornaments with the date 4/11/20 on them - and then not be open anywhere near that. One is a “fool me once” situation, the other deserves some sort of squaring up, at least in my opinion. 

Just imagine trying to launch a membership program this year (which I wouldn’t doubt they were considering).  How do you think that’ll go?

Again, I do have faith they will do the right thing. I don’t want our rants to get people worked up for something that hasn’t happened yet. 

And I have mentioned this before elsewhere - for the most part our members have been very civil in their discussions - most are what-if's and disappointments compared to a true rant.  Not a lot of true ranting here as can be seen on other platforms!

16 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

How about the fact that extra operating days are highly like to be weekdays. I only get Fridays and Saturdays off from work. Sure I could burn vacation but why do that when I can drive down there for a 2 day weekend trip. So its also highly likely that there is many people who the 'extra days" will not be any good for. For those of us how will the company make up for the lost days? 

One can look to what Carowinds did this past year.  They were open weekends after Haunt but before Winterfest opened.  This won`t make up for all of the days, but I could see KI trying this.

It all depends how long this quarantine stuff sticks around.  I know that it is affecting my full time job (and will likely impact my hours at Coney, as well, in whatever roll I end up being in there).

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

One can look to what Carowinds did this past year.  They were open weekends after Haunt but before Winterfest opened.  This won`t make up for all of the days, but I could see KI trying this.

It all depends how long this quarantine stuff sticks around.  I know that it is affecting my full time job (and will likely impact my hours at Coney, as well, in whatever roll I end up being in there).

Or do they try adding weeknight to Haunt...they tried Thursdays early on, but they were all washouts due to weather and they never tried again...this may be the year IF they re-open this year...

19 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Or do they try adding weeknight to Haunt...they tried Thursdays early on, but they were all washouts due to weather and they never tried again...this may be the year IF they re-open this year...

I'm not sure how well weekdays will be at replacing weekends.  It to mention a lot of the working class could be out of vacation time and PTo. 

1 minute ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I'm not sure how well weekdays will be at replacing weekends.  It to mention a lot of the working class could be out of vacation time and PTo. 

I agree...just thinking of ways they can add days the longer this goes...and at some point, even adding days will be mathematically impossible...but whatever days they do add, there will be people that it doesn't work for...

4 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Charlotte to Cincinnati in November is like apples to oranges IMO.