Viking Fury receiving a new paint job!

standbyme

45 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

I would guess $$. I do believe that is the same
Color as DB supports and it is needing a paint job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think so, Diamondback’s supports have more of a grayish tinge to them and Viking Fury’s new support color looks to be more like a cream color. I hope we see Diamondback next in line for a paint job, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

Yikes. I’ll have to see it in person, but... yikes. 

Glad I'm not the only one haha. I wonder what compelled them to choose such a light color while everything around it remains brown. The park has made some odd choices these past few years, but at least its getting some attention! 

I don’t think so, Diamondback’s supports have more of a grayish tinge to them and Viking Fury’s new support color looks to be more like a cream color. I hope we see Diamondback next in line for a paint job, though.

Sorry, forgot you know all that is in and about the park. Excuse me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

That not a nice that you said!  How old are you. I read his posts and bog and he is a great writer and person. I'm gonna ride Daimonbdack with him so leaves him alone jerkwad 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess its pretty old school to be picking fights with younger members

I don’t think I was picking fights. I’m not the one trying to shoot down everything people try to post, and act as if I know everything about the park, just because I’ve interviewed some people. I’ll be the first to tell people I don’t know everything about the park and I won’t pretend to act as if I know everything about the park. There are others that know way more than I do. I also know there are many sides to every story. This is another example why membership here has dramatically fallen over the last 2-3 years.

All I can say is I wish him luck on his book. Peace Out. I’m done here.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

Wow, I did not know it was so evil-minded to post an opinion on here! I agreed with you that Diamondback needs a repaint and stated what I wrote was just my opinion, but I guess you can’t please everyone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

On the overall subject of Viking Fury, I don't think I've ever seen a construction picture of the ride. The ride is listed on the 1982 poster map as a 1983 addition, but it actually opened summer 1982 (July 18, though I've seen it misidentified as June 18 before). So it was likely under construction while the park was open to guests... which makes the lack of construction photos even more odd.

image.png

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

On the overall subject of Viking Fury, I don't think I've ever seen a construction picture of the ride. The ride is listed on the 1982 poster map as a 1983 addition, but it actually opened summer 1982 (July 18, though I've seen it misidentified as June 18 before). So it was likely under construction while the park was open to guests... which makes the lack of construction photos even more odd.

image.png

Also of note on that map is the placement of the Ferris Wheel.

I have not seen a construction photo of Viking Fury either, but the concept art is out there...

Viking Fury SOI.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Also of note on that map is the placement of the Ferris Wheel.

I used to have the 1982 poster map above my desk at work and got so used to looking at it and Ferris Wheel's wrong location that I almost forgot that Ferris Wheel was never actually located there :lol:

I'm pretty sure that the Oktoberfest pond is drained in this picture (from KIExtreme / Mark Cross) for Viking Fury's construction. Unfortunately the ride is cropped out of the photo.

PKI-Aerial-2.jpg

• Like 1

1982 was a big year for change at KI. 

Obviously, celebrating their 10th Anniversary, they refurbished/expanded Hanna-Barbera Land.  But (going by memory) I believe that season also saw the loss of Rotor, Bayern Curve left at the end of the season, the Ferris Wheel was relocated and Racer turned backwards.  They added Viking Fury, Winterfest premiered with the new Festhaus and Timberwolf opened earlier in the spring.  In addition, if I recall properly, that was also the year that they completely overhauled International Street and did away with the "yards" in front of the shops.

That's a lot in one season.

I would suspect that, by that time, many of the attractions were "aging out" and the park just needed a general refresher.  New decade - new stuff - new look.  (That trend obviously continued over the next few years as Coney Mall got overhauled, Enchanted Voyage switched to Smurfs etc) Also, as the park had expanded over the years, attendance had grown.  They had also added season passes to the mix around that time, so they probably felt more pressure to change in order to hold the attention spans of those that would be returning year after year, week after week, day after day.  Not to mention, they felt like they had to mask the previous season's inferiority due to "The Bat" being so temperamental - and then completely closed for all of '82.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

1982 was a big year for change at KI. 

Obviously, celebrating their 10th Anniversary, they refurbished/expanded Hanna-Barbera Land.  But (going by memory) I believe that season also saw the loss of Rotor.  Bayern Curve left at the end of the season.  Also the Ferris Wheel was relocated and Racer turned backwards.  They added Viking Fury, Winterfest premiered with the new Festhaus and Timberwolf opened earlier in the spring.  In addition, if I recall properly, that was also the year that they completely overhauled International Street and did away with the "yards" in front of the shops.

That's a lot in one season.

Here is what is on our timeline page. https://kicentral.com/parkhistory/timeline/

1982 – A $2.1 million expansion and renovation of Hanna-Barbera Land opens. Rides that opened included the Hanna Barbera Carousel. TimberWolf Theatre opens its gates and Winterfest* debuts. In Oktoberfest a Ferris Wheel* and Viking Fury open. One of the train`s on the Racer was turned around and the Racer to create the backwards Racer.

1981 – The Bat, the world’s first suspended roller coaster, is added. The Rotor is removed at the end of season.

We have no mention of Bayern Curve. I would like to know when that arrived and was taken out to add to the timeline page.

4 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Here is what is on our timeline page. https://KICentral.com/parkhistory/timeline/

1982 – A $2.1 million expansion and renovation of Hanna-Barbera Land opens. Rides that opened included the Hanna Barbera Carousel. TimberWolf Theatre opens its gates and Winterfest* debuts. In Oktoberfest a Ferris Wheel* and Viking Fury open. One of the train`s on The Racer was turned around and The Racer to create the backwards Racer.

1981 – The Bat, the world’s first suspended roller coaster, is added. The Rotor is removed at the end of season.

We have no mention of Bayern Curve. I would like to know when that arrived and was taken out to add to the timeline page.

Bayern Kurve was installed in 1973. The promo art was very meta as it included the cover of the 73 map in the image.

The Bayern Kurve was removed in 82, and reopened in 85 in SW.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Here is what is on our timeline page. https://KICentral.com/parkhistory/timeline/

1982 – A $2.1 million expansion and renovation of Hanna-Barbera Land opens. Rides that opened included the Hanna Barbera Carousel. TimberWolf Theatre opens its gates and Winterfest* debuts. In Oktoberfest a Ferris Wheel* and Viking Fury open. One of the train`s on The Racer was turned around and The Racer to create the backwards Racer.

What @gforce1994 said is correct, but if you're updating the timeline then you may want to correct that Ferris Wheel opened mid-1978, not 1982. It was removed after the 1990 season and relocated to Libertyland amusement park in Tennessee. To nitpick, the text also jumps between present and paste tense.

12 minutes ago, dbackdreams said:

What is a baern curve.  Where did it go

Bayern Kurve was a circular, roller coaster like flat ride located where Sling Shot now sits. Here's a similar attraction (although Kings Island's never had a jet of water in the center):

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

What @gforce1994 said is correct, but if you're updating the timeline then you may want to correct that Ferris Wheel opened mid-1978, not 1982. It was removed after the 1990 season and relocated to Libertyland amusement park in Tennessee. To nitpick, the text also jumps between present and paste tense.

Bayern Kurve was a circular, roller coaster like flat ride located where Sling Shot now sits. Here's a similar attraction (although Kings Island's never had a jet of water in the center):

Kind of interesting that it seems that a lot of rides on the N end of the park were sold to other parks.

2 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

Only about 70 or so feet over.

Both photos courtesy Jeff Joiner:

1980 or 1981 (can't pinpoint which):

Adventure Village Stadium of Stars Empty.jpg

That pic is baffling...  For all intents, it makes sense that it would be 1980... but I guess it could be from early summer 1981.

If you look real close, some people are wearing shorts, the grass is pretty green and the foliage looks younger on the trees.

The former pad for Stadium of the Stars is still there... but the bleachers are not... I didn't find any ads for concerts in 1980 at KI past June.   There was a BJ Thomas concert at KI in spring 1981 I believe.  I assume he was a big enough draw to require the stadium?  There also doesn't seem to be any concerts held at Kings Island's Stadium of the Stars past May of 1981. 

Also, because I am a show nerd - I can easily tell that the show playing the American Heritage Music Hall is "That's Entertainment."  It played the 1980-81 seasons. There are obvious billboards in front of the theater that have cast "still shots" on them.  (Notice they are gone by 1982 - that's because "Celebration" was now in production.)

The Safari Amphitheater is not in use.  I believe in 1981, it sat dormant... but I dont know if it was used in 1980 either.  There was a Calypso band that played in that area of the park, but I don't think they played IN the amphitheater. There was, TMK, no bird show in 81 however.

The odd thing, of course, what appears to be coaster track in the parking lot.  It could be "The Bat" track.  But why on earth would they have additional track and/or supports left over after the coaster had opened?  Seems to me that would have been gone by 81... but then given it was a prototype, perhaps not?  Also, I know by looking through the pics that Mr Joiner took, they visited in both 1980 and 1981.  He took shots from the Eiffel Tower both times.

My eyes arent as good as they used to be, but maybe that is not track in the parking lot and, perhaps, remnants of bleachers from Stadium of the Stars?

Hmmmmmm....