Long Lost Kings Island Proposed Coaster Rediscovered

THE_BEASTmaster

1 hour ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Sorry to bother but is there a thread on here? I'm looking for details but can't seem to find any.

Basically, park was to build a replica of the Aeroplane Dips coaster on top of the lake, with final drop entering an underwater tunnel. That got shelved for a larger, more impressive coaster, that was eventually shelved.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Are you forgetting Banshee and Mystic Timbers?

I don’t think I’d consider either ride prototype/first-of-its-kind, like former additions such as Son of Beast, The Bat, King Cobra, etc. Both coaster models had proven true and tested before Kings Island added them.

In terms of record breakers, Banshee has the title as the world’s longest inverted coaster, but what does Mystic have? Besides pushing the sum of all park (*wooden) track up to the highest in any park?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

I don’t think I’d consider either ride prototype/first-of-its-kind, like former additions such as Son of Beast, The Bat, King Cobra, etc. Both coaster models had proven true and tested before Kings Island added them.

In terms of record breakers, Banshee has the title as the world’s longest inverted coaster, but what does Mystic have? Besides pushing the sum of all park track up to the highest in any park?

Yeah, Mystic Timbers broke the record of most wooden coaster track in one park. The poster said Kings Island has not installed record-breakers in recent years when they’ve added two.

• Like 1

The "Cedar Fair hasn't built record breakers for Kings Island" trope bemuses me like the "Cedar Fair won't build [insert coaster type/model] at KI because its at Cedar Point" argument... when you correct them, its the same counter-response...:)

Mystic Timbers and Banshee

"Ok, but besides those..."

Diamondback, Banshee, Orion

"Ok, but besides those..."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Such a shame it wasn’t a Schwarzkopf.     Those coasters coasters ride as smooth as glass even after 40 plus years.   So much better designed than any Arrow. 

Six Flags Mindbender and Revolution are still excellent  rides.    Sooperdooperloooer is shirt but smother great coaster 

I believe Olympia Looping and Thriller. were produced around this time frame, which have/had amazing designs for portable coasters. 

But unfortunately the Schwarzkopf coasters of this tine period had the “newer” wheel assemblies which Came apart and caused the fatal accidents in Edmonton and South America.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, super7 said:

Such a shame it wasn’t a Schwarzkopf.     Those coasters coasters ride as smooth as glass even after 40 plus years.   So much better designed than any Arrow. 

Six Flags Mindbender and Revolution are still excellent  rides.    Sooperdooperloooer is shirt but smother great coaster 

I believe Olympia Looping and Thriller. were produced around this time frame, which have/had amazing designs for portable coasters. 

But unfortunately the Schwarzkopf coasters of this tine period had the “newer” wheel assemblies which Came apart and caused the fatal accidents in Edmonton and South America.  

Both of those were maintenance issues.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:38 AM, KIghostguy said:

Are you forgetting Banshee and Mystic Timbers?

Technically anything can be a world record breaker if you add enough qualifiers. You should be able to understand the spirit of my post. Kings Island already had the record of most wooden roller coaster track with SOB, now they might have the record again, but they broke that record during the Paramount days and have less now so that's not really what I'm talking about.

Cedar Fair has a clearly different strategy for KI of prioritizing reliability over innovation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan said:

Technically anything can be a world record breaker if you add enough qualifiers. You should be able to understand the spirit of my post. Kings Island already had the record of most wooden roller coaster track with SOB, now they might have the record again, but they broke that record during the Paramount days and have less now so that's not really what I'm talking about.

Cedar Fair has a clearly different strategy for KI of prioritizing reliability over innovation.

Interestingly Kings Island actually already had the most wooden roller coaster track even before Son of Beast (15,539'). Son of Beast bumped it up a lot though (22,571').

Kings Island also kept the record even after Son of Beast was demolished. It wasn't until Six Flags Great America opened Goliath in 2014 that they allegedly had more (16,558'), though you could get into some philosophical debates on whether Goliath's topper track is "wooden" coaster track. But regardless, Mystic Timbers' opening in 2017 pushed Kings Island back into first place (18,804').

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I think one (possibly two) more woodie would be an excellent addition.

Honestly, I disagree. The park already arguably has the best wooden coaster collection in the world. I think there’s bigger holes in KI’s lineup. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benjamin22 said:

Well we currently have a big lack for looping rollercoaster, a true multilaunch coaster would be nice. 

Yes. We really do have a big lack of looping coasters. We lost 11 inversions with Firehawk and Vortex. The only looping coasters at the park now is Invertigo, Banshee, .....(Cant think of any else. My mind went blank). And we technically already have a multi-launch coaster with BLST. Plus an indoor launch coaster with FoF. I honestly don't think we need a big multi launch coaster.

I was going to write a bit about what I think the park should get, but I'll save that for another forum.

Yes. We really do have a big lack of looping coasters. We lost 11 inversions with Firehawk and Vortex. The only looping coasters at the park now is Invertigo, Banshee, .....(Cant think of any else. My mind went blank). And we technically already have a multi-launch coaster with BLST. Plus an indoor launch coaster with FoF. I honestly don't think we need a big multi launch coaster.
I was going to write a bit about what I think the park should get, but I'll save that for another forum.

Flight of Fear has inversions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, Benjamin22 said:

Well we currently have a big lack for looping rollercoaster, a true multilaunch coaster would be nice. 

We'll have to fill the looping coaster hole 1st before we can hope for a true multi-launch. We have to gain those inversions back somehow.

I always considered a true multi-launch to focus on intense accelerations and maintaining speed like Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, Maxx Force, etc.

Talking about filling holes, I also think we lack a "gimmick" coaster: something unique that the GP will love. When I say gimmick I mean it in a good way. For example, I used to consider Firehawk our gimmick coaster. 

Coasters that I consider gimmicky would ones like dives, flyers, spinners, wings, floorlesses and other models along those lines

On 4/9/2020 at 2:36 PM, Klabergian Empire said:

True, very true. Backlot Stunt Coaster is more of a halfway mark between family and thrill. I think a Mack or Intamin launched coaster would be amazing.

What about something in-your-face like Maverick at Cedar Point? It would have to be different enough to not be called a clone or mirror-image, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...