Phantom Theater blog

This is still one of my all time favorite rides from the park. Remember riding it multiple times whenever I went to the park. Curious to see if there is going to be more blog posts about old rides or if this could potentially be a tease for a return of some form (though I'm sure that's just wishful thinking).

My dream update for the park for dark rides would be to keep the interactive style dark ride in Planet Snoopy an theme it to Peanuts to fit the area more. Then add a new Phantom Theatre that's more of a classic style like the original and put it where the old Action Theatre is. Could be themed as an abandoned theatre on Coney Mall that is rundown, and it's location within The Racer turnaround would allow for it to have a nice rundown appearance outside and in the field/queue leading up to it without impeding the overall aesthetic of Coney Mall at the same time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kyle100991 said:

Can they just change Boo Blasters to Phantom Theater again? If it can be made once, it can be made again right?

Well I believe the interior of Phantoms Theater was pretty much gutted (don’t quote me on that I don’t know a lot about the ride history) but yes, they could empty out the building and build Phantoms theater again if they wanted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Joshua said:

I'd love to see the theming and characters used again for something. At the very least, a permanent Haunt attraction, maybe that's what they could sub out Urgent Scare for?

I do think that a haunt themed around could make an amazing haunt. Walking through the abandoned theatre with all the spirits. It would be tons of fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Well I believe the interior of Phantoms Theater was pretty much gutted (don’t quote me on that I don’t know a lot about the ride history) but yes, they could empty out the building and build Phantoms theater again if they wanted.

Not really gutted - but all the sets were removed and additional walls were removed/added.  The "Theater Stage" itself (The section half-way through the ride that featured the Disney-eque Pepper's Ghost effect) received the most notable change.  The floor was raised and the huge panes of glass were destroyed.  (BTW, the huge panes of glass on which the "effects" were achieved were among the most expensive parts of the ride.)

The ride uses the same conveyance device and vehicles (with every other car having been removed.)  but many don't realize some of the directional turns of the cars were altered in parts when "Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle" was installed. 

For instance, in Boo Blasters there's a section where you pass a bed with the ghost that pops up from under the covers.  When the attraction was Phantom Theater the car faced the opposite way.  (This is where guests saw the "Usher" telling folks "Step right in - the shows just about to begin!... Move lively - no one will be seated once the show begins. The lights are dimmed for the final performance.")  Also, as you exited the "Theater Stage" portion, the cars faced inward to circle around the "Maestro" and his swirling music and player piano.  (This is where he said "Do you think you'll be allowed to leave now that you've heard my music?  I dont think so!")  Now, you turn outward to face the cloaked skeleton playing the giant pipe organ.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Shaggy said:

Not really gutted - but all the sets were removed and additional walls were removed/added.  The "Theater Stage" itself (The section half-way through the ride that featured the Disney-eque Pepper's Ghost effect) received the most notable change.  The floor was raised and the huge panes of glass were destroyed.  (BTW, the huge panes of glass on which the "effects" were achieved were among the most expensive parts of the ride.)

The ride uses the same conveyance device and vehicles (with every other car having been removed.)  but many don't realize some of the directional turns of the cars were altered in parts when "Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle" was installed.  For instance - currently (in Boo Blasters) where you pass the bed with the ghost that pops up from under the covers - when the attraction was Phantom Theater the car faced the opposite way.  (This is where guests saw the "Usher" telling folks "Step right in - the shows just about to begin!... Move lively - no one will be seated once the show begins. The lights are dimmed for the final performance.")  Also, as you exited the "Theater Stage" portion, the cars faced inward to circle around the "Maestro" and his swirling music and player piano.  Now, you turn outward to face the giant pipe organ.

I know it has been said before, but we really enjoy you sharing these bits of history of the park!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I know it has been said before, but we really enjoy you sharing these bits of history of the park!

Thanks - its all trapped in my head from 40 years of visiting the park.  I, like many KI old-timers, consider myself lucky to have enjoyed/seen so much of the history my very own eyes. KI enchanted me as a young kid - and that has never gone away.  ;-)

• Like 6