Haunt 2020 thread

SonofBaconator

I'm trying to get my mind off of Covid-19 and in an attempt to stay positive I thought we would discuss Haunt for 2020. 

What do you want to come back? What do you want to retire? What do you want changed?

For starters I'd like the train to return but have it to where you just ride past a bunch of creepy scenes as opposed to being dropped off.

I heard the locomotives' boilers have a limit to how long they can operate a season, which makes sense as to why they opted to operate them for Winterfest instead. ( I could be completely wrong so someone fact check me)

• Like 4

I'm just guessing the CHAOS will likely be retired this year. With the new ride and new construction with what looks like maybe a food stand where teh berm was I think that spot will be too busy for a haunt entrance there. Only way I see something staying there would be if they alter the route and have you go in where you usually exit and leave out through the old entrance, then can move the queue off to the side.

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I'm trying to get my mind off of Covid-19 and in an attempt to stay positive I thought we would discuss Haunt for 2020. 

What do you want to come back? What do you want to retire? What do you want changed?

For starters I'd like the train to return but have it to where you just ride past a bunch of creepy scenes as opposed to being dropped off.

I heard the locomotives' boilers have a limit to how long they can operate a season, which makes sense as to why they opted to operate them for Winterfest instead. ( I could be completely wrong so someone fact check me)

I would love a Haunted Train ride during Haunt. I also want to see King's Island Theater used again during Haunt somehow. Also maybe add more daytime Haunt shows and Haunt stuff to do during daytime hours like Cedar Point does. They could even open indoor mazes earlier say 4pm. I also wonder why they don't build some Haunts in the picnic grove area or the Waterpark after it closes. I know they prefer to leave the Haunts standing year round but Cedar Point does build Cornstalkers every year. Also New Conneaut Lake builds some in the picnic area and I think Kentucky Kingdom did last year too. 

The one thing I want to see come back the most is 1am closes. I love my night rides.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, purdude86 said:

I'm just guessing the CHAOS will likely be retired this year. With the new ride and new construction with what looks like maybe a food stand where teh berm was I think that spot will be too busy for a haunt entrance there. Only way I see something staying there would be if they alter the route and have you go in where you usually exit and leave out through the old entrance, then can move the queue off to the side.

That is actually the route that early Haunt attractions in that building used.  When that building housed the chain-link and mirror mazes (Death Row, The Asylum, etc) you would enter from the door closest to The Racer (now the attract exit) and exit through the door leading out to the FOF midway.  In fact, for a while the que was routed through a cut-through in The Racer's structure so they could hold the line on the backstage pathway behind the Zephyr and off of the midway path. 

I would like to see Wolfpack retired, Blackout too. Probably Urgent Scare as well. 

I'd like to see Madame Fatales ditch the "lights out" crap....it's such a well themed haunt and you can't see any of it because your focusing on finding your route with a flashlight. Dumb. 

I would love for a clown maze to come back. Would like to see at least one other outside maze come in. I would also love for the train to be used for a haunt. 

Logistically, not sure if it'd be possible, but would love for a haunt in WWC like CP has for Cornstalkers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tcraig88 said:

I would like to see Wolfpack retired, Blackout too. Probably Urgent Scare as well. 

I'd like to see Madame Fatales ditch the "lights out" crap....it's such a well themed haunt and you can't see any of it because your focusing on finding your route with a flashlight. Dumb. 

I would love for a clown maze to come back. Would like to see at least one other outside maze come in. I would also love for the train to be used for a haunt. 

Logistically, not sure if it'd be possible, but would love for a haunt in WWC like CP has for Cornstalkers.

I agree with almost all of that, Madame Fatales uses the theming so well, it's always been my favorite maze. Also, some haunt mazes need a little help, cleaning up some older mazes might help free up more scare actors, allowing for maybe a new maze or two.

Maybe since the trains will be used less, they can do another WWC haunt. A haunted train seems like a great way to use the forest, the only problem is you'll still hear Mystic Timbers, but that might also make it even more creepy.

I'm also wondering about Field of Screams with Orion, will they reroute the paths, but even then, it'll ruin the theme with a giant towering Giga over the corn maze. It'll definitely be interesting this year.

• Like 2

Personally I could see Urgent Scare either being gone this year or being a huge hit. I really feel like it could go either way.

As for what I want to come back, I also think the return of the train Haunt could be really cool.

In terms of what I’d like to see leave, as I’ve been saying for 3 years now, I think Wolf Pack should be the next one to go. If I had to choose one, that would definitely be it.

Some changes I’d like to see are better theming in Zombie Mall, removal of the “lights out experience” at Cavern of Terror, and the return of the old Haunt music on International Street. The new music just doesn’t set the same tone at all IMO.

Over all I’m (already) super excited for Haunt to begin this year. I can’t wait to get back to scaring again, it’s so much fun every year.

I, too, cannot wait to get back to scaring again!

As for what I'd like to see from a guest POV, I think it would be interesting if Blackout turned into a cold maze. Some cold wind and frostbite theming combined with the darkness would really freak me out. That being said, I might try it at least once (if that were possible), just to face my fears (I don't like the dark mazes or the idea of freezing to death).

28 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

I know this year they were playing heavy metal I think, what did they used to play.

Off the top of my heard, they used to play excerpts from the following soundracks:

The X-Files (the ominous cue that ends the pilot episode, I believe this was played prominently, especially near the front gate as it is very atmospheric)

Beetlejuice (the main theme)

Poltergeist (from the chaotic final scene)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (the main theme, this was particularly effective when traversing through the fog)

The Nightmare Before Christmas (not any of the songs, but a short cue that perfectly represents the Elfman sound)

Independence Day (IIRC, it was The Darkest Day, the same track as the one used on The Beast, but a different section)

• Like 2

@Snowball I do prefer the theatricality of music scores over other stuff.

Speaking of theatricality, that's something I think our haunt could use more of. More creepy/halloween appropriate music throughout the park.

I'd also like to see more rides get "altered" for haunt. The Beast used to have a creature that was covered during the day and revealed at night- I don't recall them doing that anymore. Knott's alters there rides and I think its awesome. There are a handful of our attractions that I think could get "hauntified": Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Adventure Express, Mystic Timbers, Boo Blasters- rides that have a dark section.

I don't think it would be too hard to do and would bridge the gap between haunts and thrills

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

@Snowball I do prefer the theatricality of music scores over other stuff.

Speaking of theatricality, that's something I think our haunt could use more of. More creepy/halloween appropriate music throughout the park.

I'd also like to see more rides get "altered" for haunt. The Beast used to have a creature that was covered during the day and revealed at night- I don't recall them doing that anymore. Knott's alters there rides and I think its awesome. There are a handful of our attractions that I think could get "hauntified": Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Adventure Express, Mystic Timbers, Boo Blasters- rides that have a dark section.

I don't think it would be too hard to do and would bridge the gap between haunts and thrills

We attended the Disney villians event last year, favorite thing was Space Mtn had screams, whispers, and other freaky sound effects. Something like that could do well in FoF.

I hope they continue some of the Tween events because it's what convinced my kid she wanted to do the full haunts. Funniest was going through Blackout during regular haunt and telling the people on your rope they had an 11yo leading. Course they thought we were joking until we got out. :lol:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Joshua said:

Off the top of my heard, they used to play excerpts from the following soundracks:

The X-Files (the ominous cue that ends the pilot episode, I believe this was played prominently, especially near the front gate as it is very atmospheric)

Beetlejuice (the main theme)

Poltergeist (from the chaotic final scene)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (the main theme, this was particularly effective when traversing through the fog)

The Nightmare Before Christmas (not any of the songs, but a short cue that perfectly represents the Elfman sound)

Independence Day (IIRC, it was The Darkest Day, the same track as the one used on The Beast, but a different section)

I think there was also some music from The Exorcist.

The song from Poltergeist is called Twisted Abduction, I think Night of The Beast also used to play.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Snowball said:

I think there was also some music from The Exorcist.

The song from Poltergeist is called Twisted Abduction, I think Night of The Beast also used to play.

"Night of The Beast" was the track I was referring to. (Side note: Poltergeist is one of my favorite films, so naturally I loved hearing Jerry Goldsmith's score at the park.) Hmm, I do believe I remember hearing "Tubular Bells."

Here are the track titles from the soundtracks I mentioned:

• The X-Files track is "Secret Vaults." This was played throughout the night, but I'm also fairly certain it was used at the front gate prior to opening. 
  • Independence Day is "The Darkest Day."
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas was either a short except from the instrumental portion of "Making Christmas" or "Christmas Eve Montage." I'm fairly certain it was the former. 
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street was "Main Title." I can't remember if the full track was used. 
  • "Beetlejuice" is "Main Titles." I believe the first 30 seconds were removed and it just cuts right into the theme. 

I feel like there were more tracks I'm forgetting. 

42 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Tubular Bells also played! I forgot about that one!

Main Title from Nightmare on Elm Street was a shorter version of it, I’m not able to find it online anywhere though, unfortunately.

I believe it was simply an except from the track, like the first minute and a half. IIRC, just the portion used when Freddy is assembling his glove. 

42 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

An idea I had was to bring back the old Phantom Theater characters in the form of Scare-actors who walk around the park.

That'd be fun.  Or when one of the current haunts (urgent scare because of location i say) has ended its run and needs replaced....Replace it with the live action haunt version of Phantom Theater with recreated scenes from the ride.  Could even bring back the old broiler from over at Slaughterhouse and heat it back up  :)

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

An idea I had was to bring back the old Phantom Theater characters in the form of Scare-actors who walk around the park.

If they brought Phantom Theater characters we'd probably end up doing more than our normal 1 weekend trip. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened around the Eiffel Tower given the setting.

Along with the Caretaker, I'd like to see the Maestro and his Phantom Theater troupe become prominent Haunt characters. I'd also love to see mazes themed to some of the rides utilizing both existing and newly created lore. Imagine being chased in the woods by a mysterious Beast, and picture something like the large hand from Wolf Pack, but instead it's The Beast's claws grabbing at you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Like I said earlier I would try to bring back the train. Instead of having it stop in the woods, I'd have it run the whole course of the ride. The train would pass through different scenes and actors that would utilize the old fort and the old western town. 

Busch Gardens did something similar

Just as I was reading your post an amazing idea came to my head:

What if they used the train as a haunt called "Safe haven Express" and had a sign at the station that said: "Take the train to safe-haven". So people board the train and the train starts out as usual but the train breaks down at the halfway platform. They evacuate the train and attempt to make the rest of the journey on foot but they are abused by zombies. They are chased and harassed by the zombies through the Whitewater Canyon route and the come out at the train yard where a rescue train is waiting for them to take them back to Rivertown.

I think that would be a cool idea they could do for Haunt.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

In talking with other people, if large groups like KI are banned till say Aug, I would be willing to bet KI still doesn't continue with doing HH. It would be too much to do all the hiring and back end stuff to get going for just weekends. Same with Winterfest.

Thanks Captain Obvious

Sorry I had to

• Haha 1

• Phantom Theater would make a great maze! Maybe they could have that replace Urgent Scare?! 
  • I don't see Blackout being open this year
  • Cavern of Terror could be leaving as well as the Rivertown Reaping sz & be replaced by a pirate themed maze & sz
  • CHAOS could move towards a theme more centered around Orion & Flight of Fear
  • Wolf Pack could be replaced with a pirate themed maze to flow in with the sz
  • Dance of the Macabre could replace the Shipwrecked sz in Action Zone/KI Theater area
  • The shows will remain the same with 
  • A Mardi Gras or Dia De Los Muertos sz could be on International Street to accompany Drums of the Dead & could use Grand Carnivale floats & decor