Dorney Park Getting a Gravity Group Shuttle Coaster in 2021

Here is the bad news something is missing on the plan.  It appears Possessed might be getting removed.  It was not just forgotten off the design, the issue is you can see where the plans show saw cut lines and new concrete being poured where the sign for Possessed is currently located.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Kenban said:

Here is the bad news something is missing on the plan.  It appears Possessed might be getting removed.

That honestly doesn't suprise me at this point. Cedar Fair is trying to knock out rides with high maintenance costs and low uptime. Considering the fact that Volcano was removed, it was only a matter of time for their impulses to follow suit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, coaster sally said:

Is this like the one at zdt's?  Its pretty fun for a Jr coaster.

Somewhat, in the planning commission notice it lists the height as 106 ft tall.  While Switchback at ZDT is only 64 feet tall.  So this would be a much larger version of the ride. 

It seems like Cedar Fair's plan for mid to lower tier parks is to install upgraded versions of successful models from other parks. KD is set to get an original S&S Freespin and now it looks like Dorney is getting an upgraded version of Switchback. Not a bad plan if you think about it.

Heck we might see parks like Valley Fair! and World of Fun get original raptor installations.

• Like 1

I know most DP fans (including yours truly) wanted a GCI, but I think this is their way of trying something different since they're surrounded by parks with really good wooden coaster collections.  Given DP's crowds, this is still a great addition.  

I don't think this takes the place of Possessed though.  Laser's/Stinger's old site is big enough to put the GG coaster in by itself.  Possessed is a little ways away from that.  Most people underestimate how big that site is.  

• Like 1

This is a reflection of corporates plan to include more additions across the chain which I think is a smart decision. This will be reflective of Kings Island most likely getting a new coaster about every 5 years rather than the 3 year cycle we have been seeing with parks like Cedar Point and Kings Island. Which started in the Matt Ouimet area. (takes a few years to kick in because of the planning cycle.) Now Richard Zimmer has changed approach to a more chainwide approach.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I don't think this takes the place of Possessed though.  Laser's/Stinger's old site is big enough to put the GG coaster in by itself.  Possessed is a little ways away from that.  Most people underestimate how big that site is.  

While it is not being built on top of where Possessed is located, and the two rides could coexist, it seems pretty likely its being removed. 

Planning Commission Notice  Here is the important piece, "The plan proposes to remove an existing attraction, construct a new attraction, associated walkways and access drives, and relocate a portion of the existing Zephyr train ride."  It flat out states there will be an existing attraction being removed.

Site Layout Looking at the site layout it becomes pretty obvious the plan is to remove Possessed.  The ride is completely missing, and it is small enough to fit the entire ride into that layout.  The circle at the lower right corner of this PDF is the seating for a food stand which is just beyond the spike.  Making it more obvious they mark the location where the sign is currently located as being saw cut and then filled with concrete.  The station for Possessed should be directly to the right of the Mechanical building and I believe the new landing and stairs for access to the building would be inside of the station for Possessed.  I am not 100% certain on the distances but I think that Infiltration Pond on the layout would also be inside the queue for Possessed, just having trouble figuring out if its where the queue is currently located or if its the grass in between the fence and the queue.

• Like 1

I was wondering why Possessed wasn't there; that's really unfortunate if it is being removed- especially considering it's history! If true, that would be the second relocated Geagua Lake ride that has bit the dust in its new location. I would really love to see if at Kings Island; they could put it next to Invertigo so the two coaster types could be in close proximity to each other. Between Bat, Banshee, Invertigo, Delirium, Drop Tower and Possessed, I would be staying in Action Zone for a good portion of my KI visit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

I was wondering why Possessed wasn't there; that's really unfortunate if it is being removed- especially considering it's history! If true, that would be the second relocated Geagua Lake ride that has bit the dust in its new location.

Second? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Possessed is the only Geauga Lake ride to go to Dorney. Are you perhaps mistaking Stinger, which came from California's Great America, as another Geauga ride?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

Second? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Possessed is the only Geauga Lake ride to go to Dorney. Are you perhaps mistaking Stinger, which came from California's Great America, as another Geauga ride?

I think he was talking about all the parks In the chain that got Geauga Lake rides & was referring to Firehawk which has been removed.

• Like 2

While I am disappointed that Possessed appears to be leaving, it also makes sense as well.  It was a walk on when I was there last year and with the amount of electricity and maintenance costs it may be a case where the costs outweigh the advantages of keeping it open.  Looking at the historical stats on Queue Times it looks like it has the shortest waits of anything at Dorney.

As far as the new coaster, I was hoping for a GCI but this is a great addition for Dorney.  It gives them something very unique and a modern wooden coaster.  It also helps remake that area of the park.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Will possessed go to CGA?

That's what's on a lot of people's minds. On one hand it matches the 150+ shuttle that CGA mentioned in their report for their additions. On the other hand, this will have been the 3rd home for Possessed if it gets moved to CGA. I don't know how many times a ride can be relocated without it causing some type of wear but I'm sure its fine.

The only other thing I never understood is why CGA wants an impulse that's not Wicked Twister when their direct competitor has one thats pretty unique.

At least with Wicked Twister they could claim the tallest and fasted inverted coaster

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

@TombraiderTy I think he's referring to Firehawk being the 1st relocated GL ride to be removed after its relocation.

22 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

I think he was talking about all the parks In the chain that got Geauga Lake rides & was referring to Firehawk which has been removed.

Ah, gotcha. To be fair though, Possessed would only be the second Geauga Lake coaster to be removed from its new home after being relocated from Geauga. There's a few rides that have already met that fate:

Texas Twister (HUSS Top Spin) was relocated to California's Great America as Firefall and closed in 2016

El Dorado (Weber 1001 Nachts) was relocated to Kings Dominion and closed in 2010 or 2011

Shipwreck Falls (Hopkins shoot-the-chute) was relocated to Celebration City as Roaring Falls and closed with the park in 2008.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, Shawn Meyer said:

Would this coaster be the first gravity group roller coaster in the Cedar Fair chain?

Yes it would be. I know a lot of people wanted Dorney to get a GCI however I think CF wanted to give the park something truly unique since they haven't gotten anything in quite some time.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 8:47 AM, TombraiderTy said:

Ah, gotcha. To be fair though, Possessed would only be the second Geauga Lake coaster to be removed from its new home after being relocated from Geauga. There's a few rides that have already met that fate:

Texas Twister (HUSS Top Spin) was relocated to California's Great America as Firefall and closed in 2016

El Dorado (Weber 1001 Nachts) was relocated to Kings Dominion and closed in 2010 or 2011

Shipwreck Falls (Hopkins shoot-the-chute) was relocated to Celebration City as Roaring Falls and closed with the park in 2008.

True, true. RIP to those rides. Also, I never knew Shipwrecked Falls got relocated; I've never heard of a water ride like that being relocated before.

• Like 1

On subject with Dorney, I wonder if the park will attempt to theme parts of the park to Philly since its the nearest major city. Cedar Fair has been working to theme certain rides and sections to the regions they inhabit so I'm still kinda suprised they haven't tried to capitalize on that yet.

• Like 2