All 2020 KI Season Passes will be valid for 2021 Season

A Message from Mike Koontz, Vice President & General Manager of Kings Island

April 14, 2020 Update

As we face these unprecedented circumstances, I want to thank you for your patience and support of Kings Island. We continue to monitor and follow local and national health directives while preparing to open our park as soon as it is safe to do so.  

In the meantime, I want to share information on how we will manage 2020 Season Passholder benefits:

2020 Season Passes and purchased 2020 Season Pass Add-On Products (if applicable) will be valid for the remainder of 2020 when our park is able to reopen.  

Additionally, we will extend the validity dates for current 2020 Season Passes (as well as purchased 2020 Season Pass Add-On Products) through the 2021 Season according to pass type.

For 2020 Season Passholders participating in our Easy Pay Program, monthly billing has been suspended as of April 8, 2020, and will remain suspended while the park is closed.  When the park reopens, billing will resume.  Passholders will need to be current on payments to receive both 2020 and 2021 Season Pass admission and associated benefits.

Likewise, we will continue to work with Guests who have prepaid single-day tickets during the time period of our temporary park closure. Ticket inquiries may be directed to www.visitkingsisland.com/help/contact-us.

We want nothing more than to reopen our park and welcome you back, but our priority for now is to keep everyone safe.  This is a challenging time for us all, and we thank you again for your understanding and loyalty to Kings Island.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/passholder-update?fbclid=IwAR3ZIA4KF-q7WGDzEScqXo3mv6S5Gu07JCUU8riwOBP2t9HTyUWvD8vDSJs

It seems they have some news....

Indyguy added the pic to have it show up on the front page.

ET.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a “loose confirmation” that they don't expect a summer season. I would definitely not look for water park opening this year. Maybe they can justify staffing the park even with a late open because some of that operational staff can extend into Haunt and Winterfest. (Actually I could almost see an early start to Haunt - like late September- being the way they start the “season”) I may be wring, but I think this blanket statement is as much about future decision making as it is about “good will”. I just don’t think they see another way to “add benefit” or extra days to this season. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, brenthodge said:

I think this is a “loose confirmation” that they don't expect a summer season. I would definitely not look for water park opening this year. Maybe they can justify staffing the park even with a late open because some of that operational staff can extend into Haunt and Winterfest. (Actually I could almost see an early start to Haunt - like late September- being the way they start the “season”) I may be wring, but I think this blanket statement is as much about future decision making as it is about “good will”. I just don’t think they see another way to “add benefit” or extra days to this season. 

Exactly the way I took this. I could also see them not opening even for Haunt with staffing issues. Count this year as a L and look ahead to 2021. Such a bummer.  

Except the park is a fixed asset.  If the park can safely open for Haunt, one of the busiest times of the season, and feels confident that they will be able to make money, then they will open.  Remember, it costs them money (utilities, insurance, etc. for a park, regardless if it is open or not.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Except the park is a fixed asset.  If the park can safely open for Haunt, one of the busiest times of the season, and feels confident that they will be able to make money, then they will open.  Remember, it costs them money (utilities, insurance, etc. for a park, regardless if it is open or not.

The Corona will probably be ramping up again in October.  Kiss this season goodbye.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, coaster sally said:

And...as stated in the other thread...If masks and social distancing are a requirement for KI to open, where will an amusement park fall in the list of priorities to get PPE...

At what percentage of park capacity could the park open and still make money?  If they have to limit the number of guests to a total that is less than the calculated number to open, they won't open...

Under limiting number of guests - who gets priority - pass holders that KI already has their money or guests willing to pay daily admission?

If the social restricting numbers work out that all they could accommodate are pass holders and no company picnics and no daily admissions, how do they make money?

How do they go about capping it - do they take the alphabet and divide it by 7 days and those with a last name of A through C get Monday, D through F get Tuesday, etc. or is it first come first serve?

A lot of questions they need to answer before they can consider opening...

• Like 2

Just now, disco2000 said:

And...as stated in the other thread...If masks and social distancing are a requirement for KI to open, where will an amusement park fall in the list of priorities to get PPE...

At what percentage of park capacity could the park open and still make money?  If they have to limit the number of guests to a total that is less than the calculated number to open, they won't open...

Under limiting number of guests - who gets priority - pass holders that KI already has their money or guests willing to pay daily admission?

If the social restricting numbers work out that all they could accommodate are pass holders and no company picnics and no daily admissions, how do they make money?

How do they go about capping it - do they take the alphabet and divide it by 7 days and those with a last name of A through C get Monday, D through F get Tuesday, etc. or is it first come first serve?

You guys and worrying about KI like its the priority right now SMH

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Alot of medical advances have been made since then, including the development of vaccines, ventilators, ect. 

And the ability to travel has increased substantially too, so it is quicker and easier to spread.  We didn't have Delta, Southwest, Singapore Airlines, etc. in 1918...For every advancement on one side, could be an advancement on another side that impacts the other side, positively or negatively...

6 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

You guys and worrying about KI like its the priority right now SMH

You missed the point of my post - there are lot more priorities out there before KI opens and that was why I was saying don't anticipate them opening...

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I could definitely see a “limiting” of pass holder days (maybe only weekdays) once (if) the park opens this season since they are giving you a whole year free to use it next year, and save weekends for gate admission customers (maybe give pass holders a discount) yes it’s not what you signed up for when you bought the pass, but none of this is. 

Just now, brenthodge said:

I could definitely see a “limiting” of pass holder days (maybe only weekdays) once (if) the park opens this season since they are giving you a whole year free to use it next year, and save weekends for gate admission customers (maybe give pass holders a discount) yes it’s not what you signed up for when you bought the pass, but none of this is. 

That would be a great way to make customers happy lol not

1 minute ago, brenthodge said:

That could count me out of a 2022 renewal. Weekends are the only visits we can make due to distance and work. 

1 minute ago, brenthodge said:

Exactly....so does a passholder feel so entitled they would rather have an experience that they "didn't agree to when they purchased a pass" just to get into KI this season, all at the expense of a greatly devalued experience in the upcoming years?

I would rather they skip a year, minimize their losses, and provide us with the experience we expect next year and the following years.

If they open this year, with no new passes or renewal sales taking place come August, the experience will be degraded in the following seasons.  What do they cut - shows, Grand Carnivale, WF, Haunt, alternate rides that are opened, toilet paper rationing, cut the meal plan to one meal per visit?  We really don't know what they will have to cut in order to make that happen. 

Six Flags has already announced that they would be eliminating $40million of non-labor costs and investments announced during Q4 of 2019...what does that mean....sounds like all new for 2020 will now become all new for 2021...or an awful lot of toilet paper and light bulbs aren't being purchased:P

As a result of making passes valid through 2021, there will be a real cost associated with them opening this year...and the impacts will certainly be seen or felt by everyone going to the park in 2021 as a result.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

That could count me out of a 2022 renewal. Weekends are the only visits we can make due to distance and work. 

I don’t think they are thinking just about your schedule.  I am saying “different” times could call for different approaches. I would assume by 2021 all would return to normal. Again. Not saying it’s even on the table, just saying those “eager to get back in the park” need to realize there may have to be ways to limit numbers if they want the park open sooner than later. 

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

I don’t think they are thinking just about your schedule.  I am saying “different” times could call for different approaches. I would assume by 2021 all would return to normal. Again. Not saying it’s even on the table, just saying those “eager to get back in the park” need to realize there may have to be ways to limit numbers if they want the park open sooner than later. 

Limiting patrons and running trains with half or more empty is not the way to run a park.  Don't even open.

1 hour ago, spooky21 said:

So these vaccines, ventilators, masks, etc. are worthless? Care to share how you get that information?

Patients cxr's resemble ARDS but their lungs are compliant and PEEP does not help.  Patients go into multiple organ failure.

“Exactly....so does a passholder feel so entitled they would rather have an experience that they "didn't agree to when they purchased a pass" just to get into KI this season, all at the expense of a greatly devalued experience in the upcoming years? “

Yes, based on a lot of the complaining I see, yes. Many pass holders do feel that entitled. My God, the complaints  when they first pushed back into May opening was astounding. The amount of people complaining about “all of those days” they were loosing -many of them buyouts that they couldn’t have gone anyway- was amazingly arrogant and selfish. 
I think the ONLY reason they are getting glowing reviews on FaceBook right now from all of them is because they are getting something free and they are still planning on being there “mid may”

• Like 3

Wow, an impressive FAQ section online which basically walks through a number of questions raised here on KIC. 

Kudos to everyone who worked on this announcement! :)

I cannot imagine the full costs this will entail to Cedar Fair.  It appears they went above and beyond with this announcement, no-one should be complaining.

• Like 8