Banshee Opened 6 years ago today 4/18/14

IndyGuy4KI

Can you believe that Banshee has been at Kings Island for 6 years? More on the KI Blog here:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/april/this-date-in-2014-banshee-roller-coaster-debuts-at-kings-island

What is your favorite element on Banshee?

I have to say mine is that second drop using the terrain to get more speed that the first drop.

Here are a few pictures of Banshee Media Day!

IMG_20140417_082221_415.jpg

IMG_20140417_094107_952.jpg

IMG_20140417_203723_626.jpg

IMG_20140417_222557_679.jpg

IMG_20140417_064701_817.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Waited 4 hours and 20 minutes with Lucas including multiple temporary closings for mechanical delays and protein spills.  Wear my 1st rider shirt all the time (will not when it gets more worn out).  Also the beginning of one of my favorite seasons overall at KI.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Which new ride had the latest opening date for its first year?

For roller coasters, looking at RCDB, we have a tie: Firehawk and Son of Beast both opened on May 26th of their respective seasons, 2000 and 2007. Firehawk because construction started late and Son of Beast because, well, Son of Beast had numerous issues and they clearly started early on. Orion is probably gonna break this record, not due to any design flaws or construction delays (it is a B&M after all and construction appears mostly done, and test runs looked great) but because of COVID-19. Unless KI doesn't even open in 2020, in which case Orion could open sometime in April 2021 and thus not take this record.

The earliest coaster opening was for TOP GUN, now known as The Bat. It opened on April 9th. The now defunct Vortex was not far behind on April 11th.

RCDB didn't have a opening date for Flight of Fear, Great Pumpkin Coaster, Scooby's Ghoster Coaster, or Flying Ace though.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Waited 4 hours and 20 minutes with Lucas including multiple temporary closings for mechanical delays and protein spills.  Wear my 1st rider shirt all the time (will not when it gets more worn out).  Also the beginning of one of my favorite seasons overall at KI.

Protein spill?

It is one of the more intense rides in the park with the most inversions and lots of positive G's.  At least with Invertigo, the ride time is short, but Banshee was a pretty big step up in intensity for most locals, especially being the longest inverted coaster in the world.  I know with my friends at least, the last barrel roll and then the following helix does get to them.  Add to that the heat (at least later in the summer) and you got the recipe for motion sickness.  

• Like 3

I was at Media Day too! I got to be interviewed, rode Banshee eight times, stayed on Delirium for three cycles straight (they weren't assigning seats so I didn't need to go back around!) and marathoned The Bat for 17 rides including staying on 15 straight times (still my record for most rerides in a row - not even Vortex beat that!).

Also free food was a thing that day. Free Chicken Shack and Banshee Twist ice cream for the win.

@faeriewench even got a picture of me on The Bat during my marathon. :)

• Like 3